Author Topic: Nintendo vs Apple: FIGHT!!!  (Read 23455 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo vs Apple: FIGHT!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 12:02:49 AM »
Apple's iLine can throw a wrench in the business by being Wii-like, that is non-assuming or threatening until its realized they've gobbled up the market share.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2010, 12:12:01 AM »
That's why I'm glad Nintendo is being pro-active and not re-active(or should I say non-reactive) this time around.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2010, 12:23:12 AM »
I think it's impressive that Nintendo realized that Apple is their real competitor in this space this early in the game. Ten years ago they wouldn't have noticed that until it was too late (like with Sony and the PS1). As someone who loves both companies and will most likely buy the devices of each one of them, I hope they both find success. The market should be big enough to accommodate both of them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 10:33:52 AM »
Loosing opportunities, and a change is management helps. A semi decent correlation would be with ATT and MCI. The technology that made MCI was developed right in ATT's labs. When they wouldn't go forward with Satellite relay for long distance connections the creator decided to get funding and start MCI. After that ATT had to change and adapt something that it did not previously have to do. And now after about 20+ year we can see the one that is left standing.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 03:15:09 AM »
yeah I was watching old commercials and I saw an MCI commercial, and I was like..hey I remember them!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 04:57:25 AM »
I can nt help but wonder if Iwata and Miyamoto have iphones in their pocket when they do interviews and conventions. It would be kind of ironic, but it would have a politacl statement towards Apple that Nintendo has them in their pocket. ;D
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 07:56:02 AM »
Much like in the US there is only one carrier that has the iPhone in Japan. (From what I have read from people that have one.) It is my guess they have whatever company that supplies the ones for Nintendo. (Most larger companies buy phones for their executives and pays the bills so they are easy to get a hold of.)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
I hope everyone has fully stocked their bomb shelters with food and water until the war is over.

The Nintendo Era is Over, Tweets Former Final Fantasy Scribe
Although Nintendo's position in the home console market has been contested numerous times over the past few decades, it has always held court over one sector of the video game industry: the humble handheld.
[...]
However, Masato Kato - the chap who wrote Final Fantasy VII, Xenogears and Chrono Trigger - thinks that is all about to come to a rather dramatic end.
[...]
"With the iPad going on sale, the epoch of Nintendo is finished. But with the DS and the Wii, it's been digging its own grave."

He is of course referring to the Apple iPad, which launched worldwide recently and has gone on to shift an impressive two million units in two months.

NINTENDOOOOOOOMED!!!!!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 11:06:29 PM »
I hope everyone has fully stocked their bomb shelters with food and water until the war is over.

The Nintendo Era is Over, Tweets Former Final Fantasy Scribe
Although Nintendo's position in the home console market has been contested numerous times over the past few decades, it has always held court over one sector of the video game industry: the humble handheld.
[...]
However, Masato Kato - the chap who wrote Final Fantasy VII, Xenogears and Chrono Trigger - thinks that is all about to come to a rather dramatic end.
[...]
"With the iPad going on sale, the epoch of Nintendo is finished. But with the DS and the Wii, it's been digging its own grave."

He is of course referring to the Apple iPad, which launched worldwide recently and has gone on to shift an impressive two million units in two months.

NINTENDOOOOOOOMED!!!!!

I am curious to see how Nintendo is going to pull themselves out of thos one. How could they pull themselves out if they are in fact in danger from Apple?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2010, 11:48:25 PM »
Kytim they aren't in any danger.Those comments were just to hype up the IPad and make it look like Nintendo is in trouble when they are not. Also considering that the comment came from someone from that isn't Apple there is reason to believe that people are trying to start a fight that isn't there.

http://youtube.com/v/GI0qT2CdkU4

Everybody should watch the video. It states that this "Fight" with Apple is BS.
The above video is part 1 of 2 parts.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:15:33 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2010, 11:50:42 PM »
He's probably preparing to get a job with Apple (and share beds and toothbrushes with Matt C.) cuz he knows S-E is a sinking ship.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 12:07:41 AM »
Kytim they aren't in any danger.Those comments were just to hype up the IPad and make it look like Nintendo is in trouble when they are not. Also considering that the comment came from someone from that isn't Apple there is reason to believe that people are trying to start a fight that isn't there.

http://youtube.com/v/GI0qT2CdkU4

Everybody should watch the video. I states that this "Fight" with Apple is BS.
The above video is part 1 of 2 parts.

Was that you in the video?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2010, 12:16:54 AM »
Uh no that wasn't me. I'm just a fan of his work.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2010, 02:44:36 AM »
that video linked me to this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI2-VuAAYqU&feature=related

which was great, good stuff

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 04:17:04 PM »
This is more Apple Fan vs Everyone else but I'll post it here anyway.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/199322/fear_and_loathing_at_e3_microsoft_nintendo_sony.html

2010 is the year of the reboot. As I type this on my MacBook Pro in my air-conditioned hotel room in Los Angeles, I've just sat through presentations by three major console companies and I don't there was an original idea among them. The old is new again. Everyone is making motion controller games. Everyone is making 3D games. Everyone is remaking the games that made them famous. Look for new Sonic, Mortal Kombat, Gears of War, Halo, Zelda, Metroid, Medal of Honor, Castlevania, and Twisted Metal in the coming year. I walked the floor of E3 until my flip-flops broke in protest at the mediocrity. When your footwear is sounding off about the originality of your industry, you know you're in a tough place.

Microsoft's presentation on Monday set the tone for the week: There's a new Halo game coming out, but this time with space battles. The entire presentation reminded me of that Simpsons episode where Malibu Stacy gets a new hat. Halo: New Hat is due out sometime in the next year, will likely set some sales records, but will move the industry forward as much as a tractor on cinder blocks.
[...]
On Tuesday, Nintendo unveiled its own pageant of the past, where the Japanese gaming giant updated all of the titles that made it famous twenty years ago and this seemingly was something to celebrate. If you want to buy Zelda's Wind Waker crossed with Twilight Princess, Nintendo would like to sell you that game. Nintendo is so willing to sell it, in fact, that its willing to put adult men in front of thousands of people and have them swat pretend swords for your amusement. There were also retreads of Metroid and Kid Icarus and if these titles mean anything to you, that means you probably remember blowing into cartridges to make them work.

The saddest bunny that Nintendo pulled out of its hat was the trailer for a new Goldeneye 007 game. The reveal was met not by wowed enthusiasm, but instead with the sound of thousands of hands slapping a thousand foreheads. Electronic Arts tried to reboot/cash-in the Goldeneye franchise years ago with Goldeneye: Rogue Agent. Rogue Agent was a horrid mess of a game with a great premise; this new Goldeneye title looks like a horrid mess of a game with a bad premise. Nintendo is essentially trying to remaster a masterpiece while updating it with things like Daniel Craig's face.

There is no way the game can live up to the iconic Nintendo 64 first person shooter, and without the original developers from Rare, this new Goldeneye will be as well received as Blue Brothers 2000 or New Coke.

On the show floor, I later played the new Goldeneye 007, and I can confirm that you still can't play first person shooters on the Wii and oh yeah, if you want to remake Goldeneye, at least make sure it looks better than third party mod like Goldeneye: Source.
[...]

The Nintendo 3DS will sell like gangbusters but it still doesn't signal that Nintendo has any understanding of how the mobile market is changing. Sure, the 3DS has 3D graphics without glasses--but also without a sense of perspective. That is to say, Apple is eating their market and Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime is sitting in the white Buick with the devil as they go over the cliff, laughing, a la Thelma and Louise.

Sony at least knows that the casual gaming market is gone to them. Apple's SDK can't be beaten by conventional platforms or conventional weapons, so at Sony's presentation, Sony reps took time to mew that their PSP platform is for "serious gamers." Which would explain the declining sales.

The three big console developers, previously unchallenged in their supremacy, have become complacent swine, out of touch with the modern gamer. They keep making games that they already made because they know they will sell, not because they will be challenging, creative, or fun. How many times has Zelda been remade? Do we really need yet another Mortal Kombat, Twisted Metal, or Halo game? The snake is eating its own tail.

I don't have a problem with reboots per say, so long as we also have new franchises, new titles, and new genres to explore. And that what was lacking at E3 this year. While the big boys were wrestling over who had the better motion controls and who could find the most obscure old game they could remake, quietly you began to wonder how long the industry could keep this up. Hiring models to promote your game and giving away free Xbox 360s to journalists is only going to keep the barbarians at bay for so long

Dem sounds like fightin wordz

Nintards, Xbots & Gheystationers UNITE!!!!

but what makes this really silly is that I've read that Goldeneye Wii was only playable on the E3 show floor using the Classic Controller Pro.
Which would mean that it plays the exact same as it would have since the PS1, PS2, GC, Xbox, PS3 & Xbox360 (& Wii ;) )
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:25:11 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 06:33:23 AM »
So I recently learned that that "Apple enemy of future" quote was BS. The journalist that wrote it pulled it out of no where.

http://industrygamers.com/news/nintendos-reggie-talks-3DS-iphone-wii-HD-and-more/2/

Reggie resolves that matter at the top of the page.

Makes you wonder what other BS that game journalist write to get hits.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2010, 11:58:41 AM »
Apple Bigger Near Term Threat Than Microsoft, Nintendo Of America President Says
http://blogs.forbes.com/briancaulfield/2010/10/21/apple-bigger-near-term-threat-than-microsoft-nintendo-of-america-president-says/
Nintendo needs all the edge it can get. Competitors are everywhere.

“It’s all about time,” Fils-Aime said during a stop by Forbes’ San Francisco offices Thursday. “I compete with Zynga, I compete with surfing the net, I compete with the newspaper.”
[...]
Look just at the gaming business, however, and Nintendo is doing pretty good. In 2009 Nintendo sold more than 20 million gaming devices. That’s more than Microsoft and Sony put together. Same with the year before.

If you want to find someone doing that kind of volume you’ve got to look outside the game business. At, say, Apple, which is pushing games on the iPhone and iPod touch. Apple sold more 14.1 million iPhones alone during the quarter ending in September. “Do I think that in the near term they can hurt us more than Microsoft?” Fils-Aime says. “Absolutely.”

Here’s where Nintendo has an edge, Fils-Aime says. The iPod and iPhone are great for casual games like “Angry Birds” that provide a welcome distraction. Games on the Nintendo DS, by contrast, can consume. Fils-Aime admits he’s spent 150 hours playing Nintendo’s Dragon Quest.

Round 2.... FIGHT!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:01:28 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2010, 03:55:23 PM »
Hah. I highly doubt the COO of Nintendo of America has put in 150 hours of Dragon Quest. :P  Here I am, a graduated college student, working a full-time 40 hour a week job, no relationship, a group of friends, several different hobbies and interests, and I'd be LUCKY if I could get one to two hours of DQ time in a week.

I'm sure he's not being literal... just that it's a fantastic game.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 12:37:17 PM »
Since Nintendo published the game here in North America, I am sure he is counting the time he spent playing the game before it came out, plus he can play it at work and get away with it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
I doubt he plays games at work, when not explicitly asked to.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2010, 01:14:42 AM »
Hah. I highly doubt the COO of Nintendo of America has put in 150 hours of Dragon Quest. :P  Here I am, a graduated college student, working a full-time 40 hour a week job, no relationship, a group of friends, several different hobbies and interests, and I'd be LUCKY if I could get one to two hours of DQ time in a week.

I'm sure he's not being literal... just that it's a fantastic game.

So that's what he does all day.  Can't be much else to do.  President's get everything done for them.  :p

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2010, 02:20:50 AM »
You guys aren't taking this seriously, someone should be sounding the alarms!!!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=271625
Apple tipped to buy Sony, EA
The US stock market is alive with rumours that Apple is about to launch an unprecedented acquisition - with Sony and EA just two of gaming's mentioned targets.

Apple has $51 billion cash to spend - and, last week, Steve Jobs hinted at where that might go.

"We strongly believe that one or more very strategic opportunities may come along, that we can take, that we're in a unique position to take advantage of because of our strong cash position," he told investors.

"So I think that we would like to continue to keep our powder dry because we do feel that there are one or more strategic opportunities in the future."

Could those "strategic opportunities" include the purchase of a video games company?

Some on Wall Street obviously think so.

Kaufman Brothers have tipped EA, Netflix and even Facebook as targets.

But it today emerged that financial wires have also nodded to Adobe, Disney and - wait for it - Sony.

Leading financial magazine Barron's is reportedly suggesting that Apple faces "speculation that it could acquire Adobe Systems, Sony, or even Walt Disney".

to be fair, I saw no mention of Sony in the source article: http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/flush-with-cash-will-apple-go-shopping/

but that is no reason to not turn on the :siren: flashing lights :siren: and prepare ourselves for the Apple PlayStation 4 or the Apple Sports Madden 2011. I know some of you might be looking forward to that iPSPad or the iPSPhone 4Gs, but if I have to sit through Apple's Xmen 3, Apple's Spiderman 4 or rent my movies from AppleFlix, I'm not gonna be a happy person.....

Unless Apple bought both Disney(Pixar & Marvel) and Sony(PS, Bluray & Spiderman movie rights) and the rights back to XMen.... then this might not be such a bad idea.... unless your name is Nintendo.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2010, 05:20:28 AM »
Damn.  That will be a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig purchase. 

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2010, 10:00:21 AM »
That would take maybe 20-30% of Apple's cash on hand, though.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2010, 11:22:50 AM »
Sony stock rises on rumors of Apple buyout interest!
TOKYO (Reuters) - Shares of Sony Corp rose nearly 3 percent at one stage on Tuesday as traders cited media reports speculating that the Japanese electronics maker could be a potential acquisition target of Apple Inc.

Helping to spark the speculation was a Saturday report in Barron's that said cash-rich Apple could be contemplating a big acquisition and noted speculation about Adobe, Sony and Disney as potential targets.

Sony spokeswoman Sue Tanaka said: "We cannot comment on rumors or speculation."
[...]
Some analysts were skeptical about the feasibility of a buy-out.

"If Apple tries to buy the whole of Sony, it will be a hostile takeover, and that will probably not succeed in Japan," said one analyst in Tokyo, who declined to be named.

"I don't think Sony would want to join hands with Apple since it is working with Google to compete against Apple," he added.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Sony-shares-rise-on-rb-2111249388.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=6&asset=&ccode=

I hope your bomb shelters are fully stocked with water & canned food because analyst are speculating a HUGE bomb being dropped.

Apple purchasing Adobe for Flash would be pretty funny though.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:31:17 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »