Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167399 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6775 on: May 13, 2012, 09:38:06 AM »
With all this supposed MMO support for Wii U, I hope Nintendo's gearing up for a MMO themselves...

*cough cough* POKEMON *cough*

Sorry, I had something in my throat. What I meant to say was "Come on, Nintendo. Get on that Pokemon MMO already."
They outsourced it to Blizzard.  Which then made it part of World of Warcraft: Mist of Pandaria
:P
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: May 13, 2012, 05:10:05 PM »
OFF TOPIC:
I noticed a few users from here are also on NeoGaf. I tried signing up for an account, but it said I need a private email account (not free). Is that NeoGaf's way of preventing bots and kids from posting on their forums?

ON TOPIC:
So what are the chances that the Wii U will have clickable circle pads? I'd say next to 0%. How would it be possible to make a circle pad that clicks?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6777 on: May 13, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »
I recall there being a rumor of the tablet controller have a click function. It can't be that hard to implement.

EDIT: Here's the rumor posted by BlackNMild.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:34:09 PM by Adrock »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: May 13, 2012, 05:16:18 PM »
I recall there being a rumor of the tablet controller have a click function. It can't be that hard to implement.

But with analog sticks, the sticks are raised to make the "clicking" feature work better. I don't think you'd get the same accuracy with a circle pad.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: May 13, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »
I never liked the analog stick click but I actually think it would be more accurate since the circle pad is not raised. It's more like pushing in a button.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6780 on: May 13, 2012, 06:06:55 PM »
I'm surprised we haven't had any confirmation of RTS games being developed for the Wii U (and 3DS). I'm not talking about Fire Emblem or Pikmin, either.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6781 on: May 13, 2012, 06:22:33 PM »
I'm surprised we haven't had any confirmation of RTS games being developed for the Wii U (and 3DS). I'm not talking about Fire Emblem or Pikmin, either.
Patience, grasshoppa. E3. Next month. ;)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: May 13, 2012, 06:26:36 PM »
Patience, grasshoppa. E3. Next month. ;)

Well, the Wii U's tablet controller (and 3DS touch screen) are perfect for an RTS game. It could be the first time they could finally get the gameplay right on consoles.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: May 13, 2012, 08:19:23 PM »
The main issue with doing them on the 3DS is the limited size of the touch screen, which would be much less of an issue on the Wii U tablet.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: May 13, 2012, 11:18:25 PM »
I wonder if the 3DS will get ports of the PSP GTA games... The 3DS could certainly handle them, seeing as how it's a bit more powerful than a PSP.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: May 14, 2012, 12:16:33 AM »
I wonder if the 3DS will get ports of the PSP GTA games... The 3DS could certainly handle them, seeing as how it's a bit more powerful than a PSP.

A game like Grand Knight Story that is developed by Vanillaware for the PSP would make a nice addition to the 3DS library, as well as the Dragon's Crown, which is also being developed by Vanillaware for the Vita. There are many RPGs on the PSP that would be great if they were on the 3DS and Wii U. So yes, PSP games would do well on 3DS.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: May 14, 2012, 12:51:48 AM »
ON TOPIC:
So what are the chances that the Wii U will have clickable circle pads? I'd say next to 0%. How would it be possible to make a circle pad that clicks?

By making it detect when you push down firmly on the circle pad. Whether it literally does a "click" sound or not is optional.

Why would it be hard to do that? That's what your mouse's left and right button does, as well as pretty much every button on everything since ever.
is your sanity...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6787 on: May 14, 2012, 12:54:02 AM »
But with analog sticks, the sticks are raised to make the "clicking" feature work better. I don't think you'd get the same accuracy with a circle pad.
The Wii U circle pad is raised compared to the 3DS circle pad.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: May 14, 2012, 01:18:07 AM »

Of course Fire Emblem doesn't count, Fire Emblem is not Real Time but Turn Based :P Maybe Blizzard will release the long awaited sequel to StarCraft 64.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6789 on: May 14, 2012, 02:41:25 AM »
I'm surprised there isn't an FFTA3D (Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced 3D). Talking about strategy games.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: May 14, 2012, 02:54:56 PM »
I think the WiiU analog pads would be so much better for clicking than regular analog sticks.  My experience with pressing analog sticks is that they feel fine when its dead center but when your moving the analog stick to its limit in any direction and then try and press it down, it feels off and unnatural.  Given the WiiU seems to use raised slide pads, it'll work much better as the pad will stay perpendicular to the controller regardless which direction your moving it. 

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: May 14, 2012, 06:58:16 PM »
I think the WiiU analog pads would be so much better for clicking than regular analog sticks.  My experience with pressing analog sticks is that they feel fine when its dead center but when your moving the analog stick to its limit in any direction and then try and press it down, it feels off and unnatural.  Given the WiiU seems to use raised slide pads, it'll work much better as the pad will stay perpendicular to the controller regardless which direction your moving it.

Hmm, good point. I've been playing my PS3 lately, and I really hate how difficult it is to keep the stick pressed in while I'm tilting it (to sprint in an FPS, for example).

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6792 on: May 14, 2012, 07:06:21 PM »
Why is a first person shooter making you Press a button on an analog stick to make you sprint?  Seriously!!!

It is like the game is being designed by a someone without a clue to developing intuitive controls. 

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: May 14, 2012, 07:15:09 PM »
Why is a first person shooter making you Press a button on an analog stick to make you sprint?  Seriously!!!

It is like the game is being designed by a someone without a clue to developing intuitive controls.

Most shooters are like that. You have to press the analog stick in while tilting it forward to run. That's why I dislike most first-person shooters.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: May 14, 2012, 07:24:05 PM »
You realize the majority of FPS games let you customize the controls.  So you can change which button lets you sprint.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #6795 on: May 14, 2012, 07:33:22 PM »

Haha, it's really not difficult at all. I'm already pressing on the stick to tilt it, just press a little harder and it clicks in to sprint.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6796 on: May 14, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »
I dunno. I feel that thumb slips a little if I just press it while already moving. I kind of have adjust it a little before I decided to start running. But maybe that's just me.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: May 14, 2012, 07:52:42 PM »
There's a huge argument over on IGN's forums about this very subject (clickable sticks on the Wii U controller). It seems a few people don't have much imagination when it comes to alternative control schemes.

You don't need clicky sticks in a shooter. Plenty of shooters on the Wii played just fine, and in most cases, "run" was mapped to the A button.

The Wii U's touch screen will give developers more room for creating customizeable controls. You can use the screen to plan airstrikes, moving a cursor to the exact position of the target. You can use it to set mines around the map.

Here's a control scheme I thought of, and another poster on IGN had the same idea.

Left Circle Pad:  Move
Right Circle Pad:  Aim / camera movement
D-Pad:  Weapon / grenade selection
L Trigger:  Aim down sights / aim grenade trajectory
L Button:  Throw grenade
R Trigger:  Shoot
R Button:  Melee / knife
A Button:  Jump
B Button:  Crouch / cover
X Button:  Sprint
Y Button:  Reload
Touch Screen:  Direct airstrike target, place claymore mine, hotswap weapons
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:01:57 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6798 on: May 14, 2012, 08:11:10 PM »
My only point is its an ANALOG stick.  It has the ability to sense how far you push it.  Mario 64 did it.  Goldeneye did it.  It is not more intuitive to have to press a button to run...it is just worse design.  I don't want to choose another button to run I don't want to press a button to run period.  Just move my analog stick in the direction I want to move.

I still think Goldeneye had the best FPS controls.  Sure you couldn't Jump straight up, look down on your enemies and ran fire on them like a mouse and keyboard FPS...but you know what...Goldeneye was more realistic and still fun.  Where these COD games are realistic, but not as fun.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6799 on: May 14, 2012, 08:44:31 PM »
That is an odd vestige from the 2D era, but I think it stems from being in run mode in a lot of FPSs means you're not allowed to shoot. You're essentially in a "run mode." It's easier for a player to know they're not gonna be able to shoot by pressing a button that says "I'm willing to make that tradeoff right now" than by moving the stick just slightly so.