Author Topic: Mario vs. Donkey Kong Remake Scampers onto Switch This February  (Read 1124 times)

Offline riskman64

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
Mario vs. Donkey Kong Remake Scampers onto Switch This February
« on: September 14, 2023, 07:07:47 AM »

The puzzle-platformer series that originated on Game Boy Advance arrives early in the new year.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/64845/mario-vs-donkey-kong-remake-scampers-onto-switch-this-february

One of the first announcements during today's Nintendo Direct was for a remake of the first Mario vs. Donkey Kong game, a series that originally debuted in 2004 on Game Boy Advance. 20 years later, Donkey Kong is back to his mischief-making ways and it's up to Mario to foil his plan to steal all of the Mini-Mario toys. In each stage, you'll need to run, climb, and avoid obstacles to retrieve the key and unlock the main door so that you can move on to the next level. The trailer showed off lava, jungle, and city-themed areas, and there's also a local co-op feature with the second player controlling Toad.

Pre-orders are available today on the eShop, with Mario vs. Donkey Kong arriving on February 16, 2024.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Re: Mario vs. Donkey Kong Remake Scampers onto Switch This February
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 09:59:44 AM »
This looks good and is one I don't already have so as long as there is a retail release I plan to pick this up.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 11:52:25 AM »
This seems like a pretty random game to remake, especially since they could have just put the original on NSO.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 08:12:26 PM »
I'd rather a DK'94 remake.

This game was fun, but the Lemmings-esque gameplay has worn out its welcome in the past 20-years.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 09:45:59 PM »
The first game in the series doesn't have that Lemmings gameplay of leading the moving Mini-Marios to a goal. It is much closer to the DK 94 style of play and it is this first game they are remaking which is more a platformer puzzler.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023, 10:32:06 AM »
I just saved this to a wishlist and noticed it is going for a lower price point ($50 US) which surprised me a little but seems appropriate. I think I will get it day 1 now.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2023, 11:15:51 AM »
I think this is the better game to remake since DK 94 is already an amazing game.  As we saw with something like Links Awakening, games that are already regarded as masterpieces, Nintendo doesn't change that much with the remake.  So if they remade DK 94 it would have been pretty close to the same game but with better graphics. 

I'd hope with this game, since it wasn't as highly praised, it'll get the Zero Mission treatment where they make a lot of changes and add significant new content to improve on it.  Then we'll finally have a sequel to DK 94 that's closer in quality to that game, which the original GBA game while still good, wasn't quite there.  That's why I prefer games like this getting remakes since they can benefit more then games that are already amazing and don't really need any major changes.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai