Poll

Which of these Game Boy games is worth a purchase?

Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
1 (1.6%)
Maru's Mission
0 (0%)
Metroid II: Return of Samus
3 (4.7%)
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
8 (12.5%)
Mario's Picross
4 (6.3%)
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
0 (0%)
Pac-Man
0 (0%)
Qix
0 (0%)
Radar Mission
0 (0%)
Tennis
0 (0%)
The Sword of Hope II
0 (0%)
Tumblepop
0 (0%)
All These Games Suck
0 (0%)
Gotta Play 'em All!
0 (0%)
Mega Man II
1 (1.6%)
Mole Mania
5 (7.8%)
Quarth
1 (1.6%)
Super Mario Land
8 (12.5%)
Revenge of the 'Gator
1 (1.6%)
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
11 (17.2%)
Side Pocket
1 (1.6%)
Mega Man III
2 (3.1%)
Mega Man IV
3 (4.7%)
Pokémon Blue
5 (7.8%)
Pokémon Red
5 (7.8%)
Lock 'n' Chase
1 (1.6%)
Mega Man V
4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: January 13, 2020, 10:23:04 PM

Author Topic: Best of the 3DS eShop: Virtual Console. Game Boy - Part 2.  (Read 14231 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Best of the 3DS eShop: Virtual Console. Game Boy - Part 2.
« on: September 15, 2019, 11:18:36 PM »
I said I'd post the second half of Game Boy titles pretty soon and here they are. Since we've already begun the discussion a bit on the first half, might as well strike while the iron is hot and keep the discussion going by bring in the rest of the Game Boy Virtual Console library.

The main goal of this series of threads is simple. If you have personally played any of these titles, post which ones you have and which ones you highly recommend others should have on their 3DS, which ones might be recommended for Kairon (or a deeper cut for a certain type of fan) and what you think should be skipped. (And sure, even if you haven't played them and have an opinion, I'm not going to argue against you from posting it). I've also included a poll for people to vote on the games they think a person should acquire for their 3DS.

For myself, I know that I didn't always pay as close attention to the eShop and its releases as I did physical releases. And while I have accumulated a few titles from it, I feel there are probably more I should take advantage of especially since Nintendo hasn't created any other source to purchase many of these titles. While I could I slowly go through each title and try to track down reviews, I'd rather get the opinions of the NWR Forum users whose gaming tastes I trust a bit more. Plus, I figured this would be a chance to engage in our favorite practice of reminiscing about games we loved playing (and arguing about the worth / rank of a game. ;) )

These are the latter 25 games available on the eShop in alphabetical order which are up for discussion in this thread:

Lock 'n' Chase
Mario's Picross
Maru's Mission
Mega Man II
Mega Man III
Mega Man IV
Mega Man V
Mole Mania
Pac-Man
Pokémon Blue
Pokémon Red
Qix
Quarth
Radar Mission
Revenge of the 'Gator
Side Pocket
Super Mario Land
Tennis
The Sword of Hope II
Tumblepop

Which games do you think are worthy of being added to one's collection and played?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Best of the 3DS eShop: Virtual Console. Game Boy - Part 2.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 11:26:00 PM »
The game I'm probably most interested in hearing about is Mole Mania. I was looking at that on the eShop and came close to purchasing it but I just hadn't been having good experiences with Game Boy games at the time so I decided to skip it. Yet, going through this list, that title stood out to me again so I'm curious to see if anyone else ever got around to it.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 12:43:06 AM »
Both Mario Land games, (along with Wario Land) are excellent. I actually recommend the original Mario Land the most highly out of the three. It's short but that's also a blessing in disguise for the game because it lets some of the weirdness that game has like exploding koopas run it's course without becoming stale.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 08:24:08 AM »
Mario's Picross
Mega Man II
Mega Man III
Mega Man IV
Mega Man V
Mole Mania
Revenge of the 'Gator
Super Mario Land

If you like Picross puzzles, then go ahead and pick up Mario's Picross. It's a simple version of the game, but still totally enjoyable.  Recommended for fans of the genre.

The entire Mega Man set of games on GameBoy are pretty decent for fans of the series - but the later entries have the most refinement. It's also nice when you start getting entirely new content with Mega Man V instead of just revisiting familiar Mega Man enemies in remixed levels.  Recommended, but I'd suggest starting with IV and then deciding on the others based on your reaction to that one.

Metroid II is interesting, but flawed. It's very linear, zoomed in a bit too close, and without a map or significant distinction between many of the areas can be too easy to get lost in. I still like it... but it's been totally replaced by the 3DS remake.  Not recommended.

Mole Mania is a minor gem. Totally recommended.

Revenge of the Gator is pretty awesome for video pinball from this era, but it's also limited to a single table which might - so whether the high score chase will hold your interest or not is hard to say. (I actually think that Kirby's Pinball Land isn't as good a design, but with three tables that you can switch between followed by a final boss encounter, it's definitely more varied.) Recommended for fans of the genre.

Super Mario Land is weird; I wouldn't call it a great game, but it's definitely a unique entry in the Mario series so maybe worthwhile for the novelty? I rather like the soundtrack though, and the inclusion of some simple side-scrolling shoot'em up levels...

Super Mario Land 2 is a big departure from that game. It's got huge sprites, and lots of neat ideas. The game is super easy to beat though. I have a lot of nostalgia for this Mario entry and would recommend it without much hesitation. Being the first introduction of Wario is also kind of a fun landmark, although his character changed quite a bit in later games.

Wario Land represents another big departure, and is also different from any of the other Wario games. The game has a slower pace than you might expect, but also has a lot of great ideas. A lot of the game is learning how to exploit the special powers Wario can get, and figuring out which powers you'll need to hold onto throughout the levels. Environments in some levels also change significantly over the course of the game, so if you revisit them later things will be different and you might be able to access new treasures to get the best ending. I find this game relaxing and interesting, but suspect that my enjoyment is greater than what the average gamer today would find.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:42:14 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 08:27:56 AM »
I have a good bit of nostalgia for the original Super Mario Land. It was the first non-Game and Watch handheld Mario. I don’t know how well it holds up. The sprites are really small. I think my favorite thing about the game is the box art.

Super Mario Land 2 is like Super Mario World-Lite. Also, there’s this Mario themed zone. The crotch-area stage features a bunch of balls.

It was a weird time. I was surprised to see that sheer lack of subtlety in a Nintendo game especially in the 90s.

I can’t recommend Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 because I barely played it. I missed the boat in 1998 when I received that beautiful ice blue Gameboy Pocket so I didn’t buy it until like 2012. I’m sure the cartridge is sitting in a box somewhere. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 is a platformer, yes. That’s all I can really say about it. I don’t recall it really grabbing me. Wario Land II is the money Wario game.

Pokémon Blue stands as the only main series Pokémon game I’ve ever played. It was good from what I remember; I’m too scarred to return to it. I’m considering Pokémon Shield.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:35:04 AM by Adrock »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 09:36:34 AM »
Pokémon Blue stands as the only main series Pokémon game I’ve ever played. It was good from what I remember; I’m too scarred to return to it. I’m considering Pokémon Shield.

I played Red and Blue back when they were freshly released.
They are probably fine games... but like Adrock I'd be scared to go back to anything before the GBA releases. The series has gotten more complex over time (which might or might not be a good thing) but it's also smoothed out a lot of rough edges the first games had. Going all the way back is probably best either for nostalgia, or if you really do feel a need to catch them all.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 09:42:30 AM »
They are probably fine games... but like Adrock I'd be scared to go back to anything before the GBA releases.
To clarify, “scarred” wasn’t a typo. My brother and I didn’t realize there was only one save slot so he saved over my file. I was in the final dungeon before the Elite Four. That pretty much destroyed Pokémon for me. I haven’t been able to get into the series since.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 02:20:25 PM »
I don't know anything about Maru's Mission, but man oh man, does it have some awful/amazing cover art.

Stuff I did play:
Pokémon Blue/Red - Phenomenal games that still hold up to a degree. Yes, LeafGreen/FireRed basically render them obsolete, and it's rough when you consider the QOL features Gold/Silver added aren't here (no contextual button press to activate HMs, can't use Select to bring up the bicycle, no held items, Psychic types are very overpowered due to quirky programming).
But man, the music, the spritework, all the weird glitches you could do, the sheer amount of creatures with simple but iconic designs... I think if you played these before they're still fun to go back to. Newcomers should maybe consider a later version.

Sidepocket is a fun version of the billiards classic. Includes some of the trickshots, and the game gives you the expected pattern of a shot too which is neat. Sidepocket is better on SNES and Genesis for sure, but this version at least has more features than the WonderSwan port.
Real talk though, Break In is on TG-16 virtual console and way more stylish. Although nothing approaches the cool factor of Sidepocket 2 for Sega Saturn:

Super Mario Land: Underrated in my opinion. Game's turning 30 this year, and if you compare it to other 1989 and 1990 releases (barring Tetris) it's so much more impressive than Alleyway, or even platformers like Amazing Spider-Man (AWFUL game). Mario Land still plays smoothly, has fun shooter stages, and some level theming and villains that we never saw again.

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins: Hell yeah. Space Zone was the best, but almost all levels here are winners. Remember the crow bossfight, or the one with 3 rolling piggies? The weird anthill levels? The water levels which somehow don't suck? The fun carrot-upgrade that gave you flying bunny ears? Hot take: the Mario Land series is a lot more creative than anything in New Super Mario Bros. U.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 02:22:33 PM »
I believe that you have forgotten one: Pokémon Yellow.

As with my list in the other thread, it's been many years since I've played these games so I probably can't be very specific with them.

Mario's Picross
There are loads of picross games on 3/DS so I personally see no reason to go back to an old one like this, unless a person has somehow played every other game.
Not Recommended

Mega Man Dr. Wily's Revenge thru Mega Man V
With the exception of Mega Man V, all of these games include the same robots from the NES games, and their respective stages use the same themes and enemies. However, most of the stage layouts are pretty different, so there may still be reason to play them for fans who still want more. There are some obvious concessions made to fit things on a smaller screen though there are many times the games don't compensate for this very well; the fourth game is the one I felt was designed the best around the Game Boy. After the first game, they also included robots from two different games, so for example Mega Man II has 4 robots from NES MM2 and 4 from NES MM3, and so on. Most of the music is similar to NES music but there are still some new pieces of music such as intros and such which are actually pretty good. Mega Man V is an entirely new game with new robots, stages, music, and weapons, making it the most unique of the bunch and the one I would recommend the most. Mega Man III is the one I remember easily being the worst, having the cheapest and most terrible level designs.
Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge: Recommended for Kairon
Mega Man II: Recommended for Kairon
Mega Man III: Not Recommended
Mega Man IV: Recommended
Mega Man V: Recommended

I wasn't a fan of this game, in fact I'm tempted to claim it as feeling even more primitive than NES Metroid and the worst one in the series. I just don't think a Metroid game works well on the Game Boy, as it suffers from lack of colour more than many games do, and the small screen space isn't good for exploration. There is also a remake on 3DS though I haven't played it, so I don't know how it changes things. However, I know people still like this game so I'm not going to call it a bad one nor flat-out dismiss it.
Recommended for Kairon

Mole Mania
This was certainly a criminally overlooked game which I also had never heard about until its VC release. Also like with Donkey Kong, I tracked down a cartridge since it has some pretty neat Super Game Boy features. The simplest term to describe this game would be "puzzle" but there is still danger from enemies in many areas and it's also sort of like an adventure game since you travel between continuous screens rather than levels. Your main goal is simply to figure out how to exit the current screen to continue on to the next, by doing things like pushing objects and digging through ground to other sections. I believe there was also some sort of bonus objective but it's been so long things are fuzzy. It starts off simple but there are some very clever puzzles later on which will grant nice feelings of satisfaction once they're finally figured out. I am tempted to claim this as the best game on the Game Boy but considering what happened to you with Game Boy Donkey Kong, that would probably just make you less likely to try it out which would be a shame.
Strongly Recommended

Pokémon Blue, Pokémon Red, and Pokémon Yellow
As someone who is not a fan of this series but still likes to play one now and then, I see no reason to return to these games else than nostalgia, especially when the series has never deviated from this same formula so there isn't anything I find unique about them. As the first in the series they are also pretty rough and lack some important information. I believe that Yellow is an enhanced version of Red and Blue, so if a fan absolutely wants to see the roots of this series, that's the one I would say to get.
Pokémon Blue and Red: Not Recommended
Pokémon Yellow: Recommended for Kairon

Super Mario Land
This is probably going to be controversial but this is one of my least-fave Mario games and I feel it doesn't hold up at all. While it may have some weirdness factor to it with the level themes and things like exploding Koopas and shooter sections, it still doesn't come close to topping Super Mario World for the strangeness award. As the first Game Boy game it has really tiny and plain graphics, though that'll be less of an issue on 3DS. It's also really short at 12 levels. The music is the only thing about the game which I still like.
Recommended for Kairon

Not that I can be one to talk as a lot of people don't like this game, but I enjoyed it quite a bit and think it's still one of the best games on Game Boy. It takes some more cues from Super Mario World with things like the spin jump and having a world map, as well as feeling like it has more of a focus on exploration and discovery which is always what I enjoy in games. I also like how you could choose the order of the worlds, and they have some pretty unique themes for a Mario game that were always a delight.
Recommended

This is another of my fave GB games that I really enjoyed a lot. It has an even further focus on finding secrets which is the main reason I was into the game so much, and it almost feels inspired by SMB2 USA with the way Wario can chuck enemies at other enemies. Wario's abilities also feel unique from Mario which helps make this feel more like its own game, and finding treasures can sometimes hinge on figuring out the best way to utilise a power. However, if someone is looking for a more fast-paced or action-packed platformer then they may walk away from this one feeling disappointed.
Recommended
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 02:32:17 PM by Mop it up »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 03:01:04 PM »
I don't think there's any point in playing the original Metroid II when the 3DS version exists.

As for Pokemon, they're tough to recommend because of how they've aged.  Plus, there's the GBA remakes, which are better/(slightly) more modern and Pokemon Let's Go, which is a remake of Yellow, but it takes things to a weird place at times.  I would still recommend if you don't mind older RPGs.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 04:23:12 PM »
Lock N Chase is a fun little arcadey romp. If that's your cup of tea.

They are probably fine games... but like Adrock I'd be scared to go back to anything before the GBA releases.
To clarify, “scarred” wasn’t a typo. My brother and I didn’t realize there was only one save slot so he saved over my file. I was in the final dungeon before the Elite Four. That pretty much destroyed Pokémon for me. I haven’t been able to get into the series since.
Funfact: Modern Pokémon games basically require you to put in some bizarre Konami Code type thing to get the option to delete the current save file and unless you do so if you start a new game you won't be able to save.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 04:24:49 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 07:05:59 PM »
I don't think there's any point in playing the original Metroid II when the 3DS version exists.
Yeah... Metroid II isn’t good now and wasn’t particularly good back in the day. It’s so cramped. I had a hard time recommending it before Samus Returns; it’s especially hard to recommend now unless someone really wants to play the entire series. I’d honestly just wait until the inevitable HD Switch port of Samus Returns. Yes, it’s coming, and I’ll hear no sass from anyone regarding this.
Funfact: Modern Pokémon games basically require you to put in some bizarre Konami Code type thing to get the option to delete the current save file and unless you do so if you start a new game you won't be able to save.
That’s comforting. I am trying to hype myself up to buy Pokémon Shield. I know there’s controversy surrounding the limited Pokédex, but if a Pokémon wasn’t in Super Smash Bros. post-Blue, I don’t know what I’m missing anyway. I digress.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 11:55:58 PM »
As far as modern Pokémon is confirmed I strongly recommend considering Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon.

The totem battles in those games are just leagues above the totem battles in Sun and Moon and the gym battles from older games in terms of design. Pokémon has always struggled with weird difficulty spikes out of nowhere but Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's totem battles (outside of the first one which is still pretty easy so as to introduce the mechanic) generally bend Pokémon's various mechanics in interesting ways to make the fights more consistently difficult and memorable.

The second totem battle for example has you face a Pokémon named Araquanid. Araquanid is a water and bug type Pokémon so it's water and bug type moves get a power boost. It also has the ability "water bubble" which increases the power of water type attacks. It's raining during the battle which, you guessed it, increases the power of water type attacks used by any Pokémon on the battlefield. Basically all of it's water type moves hit like a truck, even on something that resists water, it can use Aurora Beam to clip the wings off of that grass starter of yours, and it has leech life for a bug type move that drains health from whatever it's up against and Aqua Veil which it can set up to get some passive healing.

Now you may be thinking, "that's just one battle, Gold and Silver had the infamous Whitney's Miltank but the rest of the gyms were generally pretty easy". Here's the thing, all of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's totem battles pull stuff like this. It honestly feels like because Gamefreak knew they were going back to gyms for Sword and Shield they were willing to go all out with the Totem fights this time around.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 11:12:55 AM »
Megaman IV and V are must plays for anyone that's a fan of the series.  The internet is always debating which games are the best and ranking each entry, but the Gameboy games are always ignored.  Now this is understandable for the first 3 Gameboy games, even though I still like I and III, but IV and V deserve to be ranked up there in the top half of the series at least.

Both games have top notch level design, where the developers at Minakuchi Engineering who made I and III (the 2nd GB game was outsourced to a different company, and Capcom was not happy with the results so they got the developer of first GB back to handle III-V) have really refined and polished what they were trying to do and it shows.  Now V is completely unique but even IV makes some pretty big changes to it's levels despite still sharing themes with Robot Masters from 4-5.  Actually, I find many of the Robot Master stages in IV better then there NES counterparts from 4-5.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 01:18:32 PM »

Hey now! Pokemon Yellow actually falls under the Game Boy Color VC so save your recommendation of it for when we get to that section.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 01:19:37 PM »

So far, you are the only person to comment on this title. Care to elaborate a bit more on it?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 01:53:14 PM »

Hey now! Pokemon Yellow actually falls under the Game Boy Color VC so save your recommendation of it for when we get to that section.
Pokémon Yellow is very much an original Game Boy game, but I looked it up and it is indeed listed as GBC on the VC. It would seem the VC version allows it to play as if it's on GBC hardware. However, the added colour is no different than the simplistic colour the GBC system adds to every regular Game Boy game, so that's pretty odd they allowed Pokémon Yellow to run on GBC emulation but not every other original Game Boy game. I guess they wanted to further differentiate it from Blue and Red on VC to try to get those people to buy it again. Personally, I would still count it as a Game Boy game and not GBC since unlike other games it has no real GBC features, but it's certainly one of those messy cases up for interpretation.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 02:40:10 PM by Mop it up »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2019, 04:09:54 PM »
Crystal was the only one that didn't actually run on the OG GB at all. Gold and Silver could run on an original gameboy and I don't think they had any specific GBC features other than how mystery gift worked on those games. That's actually why shiny Pokémon like the Red Gyarados have that swirling star animation to this day. It was introduced so people playing on an OG gameboy can still tell them apart.

So far, you are the only person to comment on this title. Care to elaborate a bit more on it?

It's kind of a pac-man clone but your character can put up little gates throughout the maze to block the enemies from reaching you. Also the gameboy version has redesigned stages because unlike Namco, Data East realized that just bringing Pac-man to the Gameboy when you can't even see the whole stage is a terrible idea and designed a handful of unique challenges that use the original Lock N Chase gameplay and work better for the gameboy format.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 04:15:52 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 08:51:51 PM »
I’ll throw in my two cents on the few games here I’ve bought and tried:

Mario's Picross – This has actually been one of the better titles from the Game Boy Virtual Console because the gameplay and design around solving Picross puzzles is still very playable today and hasn’t changed much from modern iterations of the title. The one thing I find a downgrade is having to move around a curser to mark the board accordingly compared to having a touchscreen to do that. Plus, the lack of color although it’s not like color adds that much in a modern version either. I thought it was neat to see the first introduction of Picross on a Nintendo system.

Metroid II: Return of Samus – Very disappointing. It’s a bit better than the NES version of Metroid but not enough to keep me from quitting it. I took down the first two Metroids and got the Spiderball but just lost interest to keep going. After Samus Returns was released, I thought I’d try this game out again now that I had a better idea of the possible layout of the land but that enthusiasm very quickly burned out. As others have said, Metroid 2 is basically obsoleted now with the release of Samus Returns much like Zero Mission has obsoleted the original Metroid.

While there is still a part of me that remembers reading a bit about Hero of Time’s journey and his being able to appreciate it and hoping that might happen to me, I just can’t justify it to myself to spend the effort on this title with the amount of other games I’d like to play and have yet to get around playing while not even really caring much about what I have played so far of this title. Another reason why I stopped caring about the Game Boy games released on Virtual Console after always seeing this as a top rated Game Boy title.

Super Mario Land - This was the only other Game Boy game I ever actually owned besides Game and Watch Gallery 3. It's an odd title in the Mario series for sure but despite its odd choices, as a Game Boy game, it's still one of the better titles to play. To echo some of the earlier comments, I still like the music for it to, I think it still holds up as a game worth playing today and I agree with Pokepal that it is the best of the Mario Land titles. I kind of prefer the tiny look of Mario and the level design of blocks and enemies. Always felt like it fit the screen better. SML2 feels like it is a bit too zoomed in and I'm not getting the best view spatially of the level. It is short but I appreciated that back when I played it on the Game Boy since it has no save feature. If you wanted to beat it then you had to play it all the way through in a sitting. The Restore Point of the VC takes away the trial and error of continually starting over and working your way forward some more as you learn the later levels but that's not a bad thing. Just something to keep in mind for anyone new that they may be able to finish it pretty quickly. It gets a strong recommendation for me and would probably round out my top 5 of Game Boy games I've played and liked available for the VC.

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - I'm not sure I can agree with the sentiment of this being Super Mario World-Lite. Mario may look closer to his SNES version in this game but it controls very differently. When I did my first Run the Series thread on 2D Mario platformers, I had this game at the bottom (although SML 1 was the next game ahead of it) but one thing I mentioned then is how forgettable this game was to me. It might be another case of having over-hyped it in my mind growing up and the game not meeting the hype. I still remember the Wario commercials from back in the day trying to hypnotize viewers into losing so that he could win. That I remember more than levels in this game. Right now, the only thing I can really picture of the game is Mario with the Bunny Hat sort of flapping around some clouds. I'm also tempted to say this game is something people should feel free to pass on but then I think of Metroid 2 and realize that at least this game was more playable than that. Thus, I say it is recommended for fans willing to play a deeper cut of the 2D Mario series. I have thought about giving it another chance since I checked later on after finishing it and found out I never discovered all 32 levels in the game. Perhaps coming back with lower expectations now may help but for now that remains a low priority idea.

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 - I don't want to comment too much about this game since I really haven't gotten that far into it. I've done maybe the first 4 stages of it. I don't want to seem too harsh on this game but the reality is that after playing and being disappointed in SML2, DK '94 and quitting Metroid 2, Wario Land was the game that basically got me to call the GB Virtual Console quits until now. I'd heard plenty of positive talk on the Wario Land series, particularly from TYP on these forums, and I was looking forward to finally getting into it. The idea of different abilities by hats and searching for treasure in a platforming setting sounded appealing. However, I found the movement and controls a bit stiff and the gameplay a bit obtuse at first. I just felt like I was in for more of the same experience like SML2 and since nothing struck me as particularly fun in that opening bit, I just started another game and never got back to it. Recently, I got a bunch of old Nintendo Power issues going back to the SNES and Game Boy days including ones that cover WL:SML3 from when it released. Looking over that again with the tips and hints got me interested in playing this game again and giving it a better shake. Once I finish DKL3 then I probably will go back to this so perhaps I'll be more positive on this game in the future but, for now, it felt like another game highlighting the limitations the Game Boy system caused to game design resulting in an experience that isn't worth revisiting much today.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 08:59:15 PM »
It's kind of a pac-man clone but your character can put up little gates throughout the maze to block the enemies from reaching you. Also the gameboy version has redesigned stages because unlike Namco, Data East realized that just bringing Pac-man to the Gameboy when you can't even see the whole stage is a terrible idea and designed a handful of unique challenges that use the original Lock N Chase gameplay and work better for the gameboy format.

Ok. That's not what I was expecting with that game. Sounded more like a shooter of some kind. And are you also saying you played Pac-Man Game Boy and talking about that game in the end of the paragraph?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2019, 09:09:08 PM »
Mole Mania
This was certainly a criminally overlooked game which I also had never heard about until its VC release. Also like with Donkey Kong, I tracked down a cartridge since it has some pretty neat Super Game Boy features. The simplest term to describe this game would be "puzzle" but there is still danger from enemies in many areas and it's also sort of like an adventure game since you travel between continuous screens rather than levels. Your main goal is simply to figure out how to exit the current screen to continue on to the next, by doing things like pushing objects and digging through ground to other sections. I believe there was also some sort of bonus objective but it's been so long things are fuzzy. It starts off simple but there are some very clever puzzles later on which will grant nice feelings of satisfaction once they're finally figured out. I am tempted to claim this as the best game on the Game Boy but considering what happened to you with Game Boy Donkey Kong, that would probably just make you less likely to try it out which would be a shame.
Strongly Recommended

I don't mind you claiming it as the best Game Boy game. It won't stop me from playing it and in fact I'm more likely to play it first over other Game Boy games. While we may differ on other titles and what we think is better, like a stopped clock, you've got to be right at some point in time.  ;D ;D ;D

Pokémon Blue, Pokémon Red
As someone who is not a fan of this series but still likes to play one now and then, I see no reason to return to these games else than nostalgia, especially when the series has never deviated from this same formula so there isn't anything I find unique about them. As the first in the series they are also pretty rough and lack some important information.
Pokémon Blue and Red: Not Recommended

Yeah, with Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen in my collection, I saw no point in purchasing these and replaying them. I know there were quite a few people who did based on their nostalgia of this game because of Miiverse and screens of people playing it at the time it was re-released but FR and LG seem to be the way to go now if it is your first time to play this particular game. And now there's Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee which are the Pokemon Yellow updates of this game as well. While these are probably still fun games to play (they basically became the face of the Game Boy line in the end), I don't see myself ever picking them up at this point and wouldn't consider them a top title one should pick up for their own Virtual Console collection unless they really are a big Gen 1 fan.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2019, 09:32:24 PM »
All of your opinions are fair. I will say if you didn’t play most of these games in the 90s, it may be difficult to see why people like them. For example, I’ll always love Link’s Awakening (I know it isn’t on either thread) though the limited controls of the Gameboy may spoil the experience for someone playing it for the first time 25+ years later. Having to pause to every time you want switch items is something we haven’t had to deal with in decades. Many of even the best games on Gameboy suffer from similar quality of life issues.

I haven’t played many of these games since the 90s, and I’m glad I got to experience them when I did. I’m tempted to dig them out of storage. There is a part of me that’s afraid of breaking these rose-tinted glasses. I feel like maybe it’s better to keep the memories in tact.

That said, I still recommend Wario Land II.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2019, 09:45:50 PM »
One nice thing about Mole Mania is that it's well-suited to the hardware.

Many of the "big name" Game Boy games seem to be big experiences boiled down, that didn't really fit very well on the small portable. Screens that are zoomed in too far, controls that are cumbersome, and design issues that end up disappointing. But not with Mole Mania - it's a cute game, and fit the platform really well.

However, it's also the kind of cute and fun puzzle game that holds up well today. You might get a Sokoban feel, because there is a lot of pushing/pulling blocks, but there is also more to it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2019, 09:57:50 PM »
And here I thought I was going to get chewed out for dissing Metroid II! But I guess I didn't have anything to worry about in the end.

Yeah, I actually do think that in general, the Game Boy has aged even worse than the NES, despite being newer. Like with NES there are still a few standout titles which may be worthwhile, but honestly I'm hesitant to recommend any of the games to anyone younger and / or isn't already familiar with NES and Game Boy.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2019, 10:50:48 PM »
And here I thought I was going to get chewed out for dissing Metroid II! But I guess I didn't have anything to worry about in the end.

Nope. Heck, you should make a thread just for Dissing Metroid 2. It could be the most popular thread to hit these forums yet!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2019, 11:02:10 PM »
I think a lot of the best Game Boy games still hold up pretty well.  I didn't play Donkey Kong 94 for the first time until 2008, and was blown away.  Finally got a chance to play the Wario Land 1-3 that same year as well and loved them too.  My first time experiencing Mega Man VI and V was after buying them on the 3DS eShop by in 2017 and loved them too which is why I praised them earlier.

I mean I can understand something like Metroid II is a hard sell in a post Super Metroid world, but there's still quite a few Gameboy games that have gameplay that I think quite a few people would still enjoy, even those that didn't experience them back in the day.  When Nintendo eventually puts Gameboy games on the Switch Online service, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these games earn new fans.  Getting newer gamers to spend $5 individually on these old, many of them colorless games might have been a hard sell on the 3DS Virtual Console, but when it gets added along side NES and SNES games, people will be more likely to try them and I wouldn't be surprised if this gives new love to the system.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 11:06:27 PM »

Nope. Heck, you should make a thread just for Dissing Metroid 2. It could be the most popular thread to hit these forums yet!
I dunno, I'm pretty sure that will unleash the wrath of UncleBob and he'll ban us all!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 11:15:24 PM »

I dunno, I'm pretty sure that will unleash the wrath of UncleBob and he'll ban us all!

He already tried to ban the whole forums before but it was discovered that such an attempt was ineffective and everyone was unbanned. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 11:19:15 PM »
I think a lot of the best Game Boy games still hold up pretty well.  I didn't play Donkey Kong 94 for the first time until 2008, and was blown away.  Finally got a chance to play the Wario Land 1-3 that same year as well and loved them too.  My first time experiencing Mega Man VI and V was after buying them on the 3DS eShop by in 2017 and loved them too which is why I praised them earlier.

I mean I can understand something like Metroid II is a hard sell in a post Super Metroid world, but there's still quite a few Gameboy games that have gameplay that I think quite a few people would still enjoy, even those that didn't experience them back in the day.  When Nintendo eventually puts Gameboy games on the Switch Online service, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these games earn new fans.  Getting newer gamers to spend $5 individually on these old, many of them colorless games might have been a hard sell on the 3DS Virtual Console, but when it gets added along side NES and SNES games, people will be more likely to try them and I wouldn't be surprised if this gives new love to the system.

Like the optimism but I don't see it. If Nintendo adds Game Boy games to Switch, I forsee a majority of complaining instead from users expecting / wanting N64 or GameCube titles over Game Boy games especially with Super Nintendo games outshining most of the Game Boy library which seems to be the major consensus so far in these two threads. More people are going to want to play Super Tennis on the SNES over Tennis on the GB just as most would probably rather replay Super Metroid again over Metroid II. And I know I'll play any of the DKC games again before playing DK '94 again.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2019, 11:29:32 PM »
All of your opinions are fair. I will say if you didn’t play most of these games in the 90s, it may be difficult to see why people like them. For example, I’ll always love Link’s Awakening (I know it isn’t on either thread) though the limited controls of the Gameboy may spoil the experience for someone playing it for the first time 25+ years later. Having to pause to every time you want switch items is something we haven’t had to deal with in decades. Many of even the best games on Gameboy suffer from similar quality of life issues.

That said, I still recommend Wario Land II.

Yeah, just having the two buttons of A and B for Link's Awakening was probably the biggest irritant about that game. The Link's Awakening release on Virtual Console was the first game I played from the 3DS VC. Having played other GB titles, I'm now even more impressed about how well that game was made and able to fit a topnotch Zelda experience on the GB even with that system's limitations. Unfortunately, being the first GB game I played, it probably helped give me wrong expectations for the rest of the game library. It's easily the best Game Boy game in my opinion. But I suppose I should wait until doing a Game Boy Color VC thread to praise this title or else it could lead to all that discussion happening now rather than later. I just wanted to comment on the fact that even with LA being slightly hampered by the Game Boy's limitation of buttons it was still one of the few games to succeed and still be relevant today by gaming standards despite the Game Boy's handicaps. The majority of titles have not been as successful in the face of time and gaming advancements.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2019, 08:07:22 PM »
Since I did for Part 1, here's the Nintendo Power recommendation list for this half of the Game Boy VC.

Recommended

Mario's Picross (Staff Pick)
Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (Staff Pick)
Mole Mania (Staff Pick)
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Staff Pick)

Hmmm...

Pac-Man
Qix
Quarth
Radar Mission
The Sword of Hope II
Tennis
Tumblepop

Grumble Grumble

Maru's Mission
Side Pocket

Now Available

Lock 'n' Chase

Post Nintendo Power

Mega Man II
Mega Man III
Mega Man IV
Mega Man V
Pokémon Blue
Pokémon Red
Revenge of the 'Gator

Delisted

Tetris (Staff Pick)

Alright. So some things to break down here. Sometimes when giving their brief recommendation write-up, NP would also have a Mii picture of a staff member with their name next to the recommendation. This may have meant an even higher recommendation then the standard green seal of approval. With Part 1, there was only 1 game with that special designation which was Donkey Kong '94. However, on this half, there are a 5 games to get that extra special commendation including Tetris which is no longer available on the VC.

At the time NP came to an end, only 1 of the Mega Man games had come out on VC. The rest came later. Pokemon was basically the last Game Boy game added to the service and one can only wonder what the write-up on Revenge of the Gator would be. (But I think it may be been positive). If you want to dismiss NP as pointless biased reviews then you can point to their recommendation of Metroid 2 as proof but, unlike Part 1, Part 2 actually has some games to get the Grumble Grumble recommendation.

The one that surprised me the most about that is Goemon. When watching various Game Boy trailers, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was from 1998 and the clips made the game seem pretty decent. I've been finding that the Game Boy games released in the later years of the system seem to be of a better quality than those of the early years so I found it puzzling as to why no one else seemed to be talking about or playing this game. But for NP to give it the lower end of the scale now sheds some light on that mystery. I was ready to add that game to my list of future GB purchases but now I'm not so sure. Steefosaurus recommended Side Pocket but NP begs to differ on that and Maru's Mission sticks to the usual trend that a bad game usually has bad cover artwork.

One odd listing is Lock 'n' Chase. Sometimes games released on the eShop didn't get a review or recommendation. They just got a quick mention as also being released that month along with the other games. Lock 'n' Chase is the only Game Boy VC release to fall under that designation. That may suggest a game of poor quality and yet Pokepal148 seemed to be positive about it. Having watched the trailer, I've been intrigued enough to possibly get it now as well. So, I don't know why NP decided to stay mum on the subject.

Finally, one of the other surprise top picks is Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge. Of the recommendations for Mega Man games, it seems like 4 and 5 are were the true value is at. Yet, NP really like Wily's Revenge. Getting a Staff Pick and a second recommendation beyond that. You see, after about 7 - 8 months of the eShop existing on the 3DS, NP did a top 40 list of the various games on it. When it came to Game Boy games, these were the titles they listed as best on the service so far: Donkey Kong '94, Kirby's Dream Land, Mario Picross, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2, Metroid 2 and Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge. No real shockers aside from Metroid 2 getting another plug. But MM:DWR is the only third party Game Boy to get a shout-out.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 08:09:34 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2019, 09:15:59 PM »
I might as well give my breakdown on the titles for this thread also as to what I'm now wanting to check out and what gives me pause.

Plan To Buy or Have Bought

Lock 'n' Chase
Mario's Picross
Metroid II: Return of Samus (Too late to Pass on it)
Mole Mania
Radar Mission
Super Mario Land

Still Debating

Mega Man II
Mega Man III
Mega Man IV
Mega Man V
Pac-Man
Quarth
Revenge of the 'Gator

Pass

Maru's Mission
Pokémon Blue
Pokémon Red
Qix
Side Pocket
Tennis
The Sword of Hope II
Tumblepop

So, even though this half of the GB line-up seems to have some of the better titles, my interest in the games offered here is a bit less compared to Part 1's line-up. A big factor is my inexperience with the Mega Man series. Having hardly played any games in the series, it is hard for me to be interested or excited about the GB editions or to make them my gateway into the series. Even though Goemon got the Grumble Grumble review, I can't shake that the trailer made it seem semi-decent and it is a later GB developed title. Likewise, not sure how much I'll care about a Game Boy pinball game considering I've never really been wowed by any pinball video game before. Perhaps if I enjoy Kirby Pinball Land then I'll give Gator a go since it came from HAL also but it is wait and see for me. Radar Mission seems like an out there choice but the idea of a portable Battleship game is enough to entice me to try it and there is even a second mode where you target ships with a submarine. Having played Steel Diver, I'm curious to see if this might act as a spiritual predecessor of sorts with it's end of mission sub battles. As for Lock 'n' Chase, I'm going by pokepal's brief statement, it's trailer and the fact that it seems to get no attention.

And again, if there is anything here that you've been motivated to pursue in the future when it comes to these Game Boy offerings then feel to post it here. For the heck of it, if there were any other Game Boy titles you wished had been released on the VC but never were then why not give them their due now in this thread also.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2019, 12:34:52 PM »
Steefosaurus recommended Side Pocket but NP begs to differ on that and Maru's Mission sticks to the usual trend that a bad game usually has bad cover artwork.

Yeah maybe my write-up here was a bit too enthusiastic, so just for emphasis before you run out and buy the entire eShop: Side Pocket on GB is the second-least bad version of a game that has been ported at least 7 times by now, and it has both sequels and rival releases, all of which eclipse it.

Is it good? Eh, about as good as you can expect from a 1986 game down-ported to a handheld. If you can derive a measure of fun from lining up shots correctly, GB Side Pocket will be entertaining for an hour or two.
The only person I would truly recommend this version to is basically myself, as I not only like snooker/pool/billiards, but also because I've played the 1999 version on WonderSwan which is somehow less feature-complete than the Gameboy one from a literal decade earlier.

Everyone else with the vaguest interest in virtual billiards on Nintendo systems should just get Break In for TurboGrafx-16 on virtual console, or spring for a SNES cart of Side Pocket. On GameCube I guess there's Pool Paradise if you're into purple velvet tablecloths & disembodied hands, or of course Monkey Billiards in Super Monkey Ball if regular billiards is too boring for you.
There's also a 3D Pool something game on Switch, but I don't know anything about that one.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2019, 12:43:48 PM »
(Off topic... but my favorite video game implementations of pool are either some of the game with motion controls on Nintendo Wii, or some of the various pinball tables using pool as a theme.)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2019, 05:32:13 PM »
Finally, one of the other surprise top picks is Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge. Of the recommendations for Mega Man games, it seems like 4 and 5 are were the true value is at. Yet, NP really like Wily's Revenge. Getting a Staff Pick and a second recommendation beyond that.

Dr. Wily's Revenge is a good game and something I'd still recommend for anyone that's a fan of the Mega Man series.  It manages to take the Mega Man experience and makes a good smaller, handheld version of it.  Yeah it tones down the action because of the Game Boys limitations but increases the platforming elements to make up for it.  All the other GB games follow this formula, so I can see why Nintendo Power would give this one an award since it was the first to do it.

The reason why the fans though don't view it as favorably and prefer 4+5 more is because Wily's Revenge is a much shorter game and still relies heavily on it's NES counterpart.  Yeah it does add some new elements and the stages are different, but 4+5 do a lot more to separate themselves from the NES games and are closer in length to those titles as well.

A big factor is my inexperience with the Mega Man series. Having hardly played any games in the series, it is hard for me to be interested or excited about the GB editions or to make them my gateway into the series.

I'd recommend getting the Legacy 1 collection first then to experience the 6 NES games.  If you enjoy 2-6, then you'd probably like the Game Boy games, Wily's Revenge and especially 4+5.  Capcom usually has the Legacy collections on sale a lot so that would be the better value in finding out if you like the Classic Mega Man games or not.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2019, 06:31:04 PM »
A few comments:

Metroid II is a fun game.  I bought the remake, but never got around to playing it.  Not sure why.  Anywhoo, it *is* really outdated and has a lot of weaknesses, but it's still a lot of fun and the dread of finding a new Metroid evolution.... eek.  For $5, unless you're an evil monster with a heart of stone, you should be able to get your $5 out of it.

Mole Mania - a fun action puzzle game.  Worth the price of admission for some light play if you like those types of games.

Quarth - eh.  I'm torn on this one.  It's a fun shoot em up/puzzleresque (really, not a puzzle game) game, but the lack of multi-player flatly kills this game.  If you're on the fence, go watch a YouTube video - basic game play footage will sum up all this game is and you can decide from there.

Pac-Man - DO NOT BUY.  One of the most ported games of all time, this version is stupid and pointless.  Now, if you get the legitimate GameBoy game, then yes - if you can get two copies, a link cable, and someone to play with.  The multi-player mode in this game is an amazing little hidden gem.    I'd love to see it renvisioned on a modern system.

Lock N Chase - never played the GB port, but I am a fan of the Arcade and Intellivision versions.  Fun maze-clone from Pac-Man's heyday.  If you like Pac-Man, I will generally recommend this one - but, again, I don't know about the GB port.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2019, 06:46:12 PM »
Metroid II is a fun game... unless you're an evil monster with a heart of stone, you should be able to get your $5 out of it.

Story checks out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2019, 06:47:30 PM »
I would guess that NP would have recommended the other Mega Man games except for 2, which would have been put on "Hmmm..." They would also probably recommended the Pokémon ones as well being Nintendo-published stuff. I don't know anything about Revenge of the Gator so no idea where that would land, but maybe a "Hmmm..." also.

I would also not recommend any of the Game Boy Mega Man titles as your first one. Start with the Mega Man Legacy Collection on Switch, and then if you're still wanting more of that series the Game Boy ones are a good place to turn for something else new(er)(ish).

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2019, 08:11:02 PM »
I've got the Mega Man Anniversary Collection and Mega Man X Collection for GameCube. Maybe 15 years ago, I popped in the Mega Man Anniversary Collection to finally see what the series is like and started played a level in the first Mega Man game. Never did get back to it. And that is the entire journey of my Mega Man experience to date. If I'm going to play these games then I'll still probably do it on the Cube (The Greatest System of All Time).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
Unfortunately those are botched ports of the Mega Man games, but I guess it'll have to do...

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2019, 08:15:01 PM »
Oh really? Botched how? I always thought the collections were well-received.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2019, 08:33:16 PM »
Well, then again I s'pose it's stuff that the uninitiated may not care about or even notice. From what I remember, the music is messed up, some things are slower than they should be, the A and B buttons were swapped with no way to change them, etc. The GameCube version in particular is also missing some of the bonus features that the other versions had, but that doesn't really matter at this point in time.

I don't have the Mega Man X Collection but that's the one which appears to have been handled well and was praised.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2019, 07:58:39 AM »
Having just gone back to Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins... wow, this game did a great job. There challenge is very low but the design is great and switching to larger, more detailed sprites makes the controls feel better. There is also a lot of weird creativity in the enemies and level design.

As long as you don't mind playing very easy games, this one definitely gets a recommendation. It seems to have held up far better than I expected it to.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2019, 08:56:02 PM »
Well, after going through the work of gathering NWR's word on the GB VC for the first 25 games in alphabetical order, would I do the same for the latter half? You better believe it. I'm too far down the rabbit hole to stop now!

Of the 25 games this thread covers, here is the list of them with the corresponding NWR grade and a link to the article for that mini review. (Some of these articles covered multiple games so you may have to scroll to find the actual title for the link you click on.)

Lock 'n' ChaseRecommended For Everyone
Mario’s PicrossRecommended For Fans
Maru’s MissionNot Recommended
Mega Man 2 – N/A
Mega Man 3 – N/A
Mega Man 4 –N/A
Mega Man 58.0/10
Mega Man: Dr. Wily’s RevengeRecommended For Fans
Metroid II: Return of Samus – N/A
Mole ManiaRecommended For Everyone
Mystical Ninja starring GoemonNot Recommended
PAC-MAN – N/A
Pokemon Blue – N/A
Pokemon Red – N/A
QixRecommended For Fans
QuarthRecommended For Fans
Radar MissionRecommended For Fans
Revenge of the Gator – N/A
Side Pocket – N/A
Super Mario LandRecommended For Fans
Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden CoinsRecommended For Everyone
TennisRecommended For Fans
The Sword of Hope IIRecommended For Fans
Tumble PopRecommended For Fans
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3Recommended For Fans

Again, as mentioned in the sister thread of this topic, NWR did not get around to reviewing every Game Boy game released on the VC, the review/recommendation system changed after 2012 to the regular 10 point system and Recommended for Fans is the more common grade because we are more picky about our games here.  :-X

When compared to Nintendo Power which reviewed 17 of the 25 games listed for this thread, NWR only reviewed 16 of them. Of course, if you were to combine Pokemon Red/Blue as 1 game and slot Tetris in to make a list of 25 titles that way then NP reviewed 18 games and NWR did not review Tetris so they still stay at 16 total reviews. Sadly, unlike the sister thread, NWR and NP overlapped in a lot of the games they did not review rather than fill in each other's gaps this time around.  :( The games that NP and NWR did not review are: Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Mega Man 4, Pokemon Blue, Pokemon Red and Revenge of the Gator. NWR did review Lock 'n' Chase and Mega Man 5 which NP did not review and NP has reviews for Pac-Man, Side Pocket and Metroid II: Return of Samus. Yes, NWR wimped out of reviewing Metroid II and giving it the Not Recommended score it deserves. (At least, that's why UncleBob keeps telling everyone.  ;D )

As a bit further comparison, NP gave 7 games their highest recommendation, 7 games got their middling recommendation and 3 games got their lowest recommendation (with the now-removed Tetris also getting their highest recommendation.) NWR breaks down with 4 games getting their highest recommendation, 10 games getting their middling recommendation and 2 games getting their lowest grade. Both of those games with the Not Recommended grade were among the 3 games given NP's lowest recommendation and are Maru's Mission and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon. (Neal really disliked the latter game.) Of the games that got the highest grades between the two sources, only 2 made the top grade from both and those games are Mole Mania and Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins. (Mario's Picross was robbed.)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2019, 09:50:14 PM »
Final Extra Reading

So, at this point, I do think I have now exhausted myself on talking about Virtual Console Game Boy recommendations and reviewing what was released for the eShop. However, before moving on to something else (like Game Boy Color games :P), here's a little extra reading about the 3DS Virtual Console. Despite releasing quite a few titles when the eShop first launched, the Virtual Console seemed to quickly lose focus from Nintendo as a priority of releasing games on it. There was this article on NWR about the sad state that had soon developed for it (which then became a big argument in the Talkback thread about positive vs negative articles :P). Nintendo of America issued a response that didn't seem to impress anyone.

At the end of the day, there were over 1,000 games released for the Game Boy over its lifespan but only about 50 were able to make it to the VC and get re-released again. It's kind of surprising that so much of that back catalogue was not taken advantage of by other publishers and third parties but the 3DS had a slight stigma to it compared to the DS when it took awhile to get sold in its first year. Third party support for the system was not like the DS and by the time it did become another big success for Nintendo, the VC was kind of dead with Nintendo barely offering much for it anymore either.

Still, overall, the VC did seem to provide the titles most people wanted when compared to this early NWR 3DS Game Boy VC wish list which is comprised of GB and GBC games. (Don't look now but Kirby's Dream Land 2 is considered a top game by Zach and now I wish it had color from the Super Game Boy added to it as shown in his part of the article.) Some of the games never did show up like Kid Dracula or TMNT 2: Back to the Sewers but it does seem like 80% of that wishlist was fulfilled.

When looking at other lists of the best Game Boy games such as this one of the 30 Best by Polygon or this one by Business Insider with various errors or heck this one on 50 Best Game Boy (& Color) Games by Nintendo Life then one can note that usually half of the games listed on these Best of lists were released on the 3DS VC. In fact, Nintendo pretty much provided the majority of their library (or at least the most wanted games they developed) on the VC. It is the Third Parties that failed to show up and further add to the appeal of the VC. Most of the games missing from these Best Of lists are Third Party titles for which Third Parties have really done nothing to re-release in the time the 3DS VC has been active until now. Some of that is probably licencing issues and publishers going defunct but for games that didn't face those issues, there was just a greater indifference to partnering with Nintendo and the 3DS VC compared to the Wii VC which was still getting releases into the 3DS VC era.

Thus, while the VC kind of puttered out early in the overall lifespan of the 3DS, it wasn't from Nintendo holding back on their side. They took advantage of giving the fans the big titles they wanted from their back catalogue. How well those title still hold up may be debated due to one's gaming preferences but at least they're still available and pretty easily accessible which is great for someone like me who has suddenly become interested in going back to discover these titles. A few months ago was actually the 30th anniversary of the Game Boy system's release which is why there are all these Best of lists on the internet about its library. Turns out, looking into the GBVC was kind of timely after all. If only the Switch hadn't so completely eclipsed the 3DS. Maybe Nintendo would have had some kind of recognition for the Game Boy VC on the 3DS but people just aren't paying attention to the system anymore. Still, if Third Parties had supported it more then maybe Nintendo would have done something to give the VC one last gasp of a sales boost and focus. Instead, it has been left to us, the Nintendo gaming die-hards, to put the spotlight on it one more time for the benefit of those titles that were released for that service.

And no, that rumor of crossplay and gifting ability for the Wii U and 3DS VC never came true nor did GBA VC games ever come to the 3DS aside from the Ambassador released titles. VC for the 3DS was an odd thing indeed.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2019, 10:29:56 PM »
Virtual Console on 3DS seemed to follow the same pattern it did on the Wii, where it was more prevalent early on but then Nintendo pulled back on it as more and more original downloadable games hit the platform. I don't know how accurate it was, but Nintendo sure seemed to think VC games cut into WiiWare and eShop sales.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 12:42:06 AM »
I don't know how accurate it was, but Nintendo sure seemed to think VC games cut into WiiWare and eShop sales.

I'd say the Switch confirms it.  I mean they talked about downloadable NES/SNES before it was released but then waited over a year before NES games and we just got SNES games.  They really wanted to make sure those indie titles were noticed that first year, which might have been smart since many indie games ended up having their highest sales by far on Switch.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2019, 03:18:34 PM »
I'd believe it - I mean, why pay extra for a new game of questionable quality when for just a few dollars you could play an absolute classic on Virtual Console? 

During the early years of both Wii and 3DS, many developers seemed to write off the consoles and Virtual Console filled meaningful gaps in the release cycle. Switch doesn't seem to have that problem. In fact, it's almost the opposite as they are probably scheduling Virtual Console releases in a way to avoid direct competition with others. My, how times have changed!

Speaking of Virtual Console, CATRAP is over half-way finished. Not sure I love it as much as some... but might be kind of puzzled out after having recently played Mole Mania. (Also, although the puzzles are good the presentation here isn't nearly as cute as Mole Mania.)

I've also played through:
* Super Mario Land 1 (so weird, still don't like the controls, but an interesting oddity)
* Super Mario Land 2 (still fun and creative, but smaller than I remembered and very easy)
* Avenging Spirit (janky, but I still think it's a hidden gem with the many different character abilities)
Next up after CATRAP will be Balloon Kid...

How are other people doing with the GameBoy games that they purchased and/or recommended?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2019, 04:47:12 PM »
What are the sales figures of the Virtual Console? Perhaps most games just weren't selling well enough to be worthwhile?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2019, 05:03:37 PM »
I suppose they can be viewed as competition but I do think they are targeting different audiences unless it is a case of an indie game trying to replicate an older title in which case they probably don't want their "inspiration" releasing around the same time. Goose Game came out at the same time as Link's Awakening remake but it wasn't overshadowed. If people are excited or really want to play a game then they're probably going to get it regardless of how much gets released along with it. However, that's how I view it. I've always taken the VC as something I can get around to later unless there is a very special title I've always wanted to play / try.

As I prepare for the Game Boy Color list, I see that Nintendo did keep the VC going for sometime with the color games. Basically, once they got through most of their Game Boy titles in the first couple years they then switched to Color and released a bunch of those through 2013 and 2014 and then slowed to a trickle or drip in the years after. At the same time, there were also NES and SNES titles to come out but those weren't as interesting since Wii U was getting them and Wii had them also. It is the Game Boy VC titles that were unique to 3DS.

However, by the time of 2013 and 2014, the 3DS was rocking and pumping out so many of the greatest games in its software library that I was no longer looking at the eShop and VC releases as much anymore. That's where I fell out of VC interest and am only getting around to catching back up on this stuff now. Also, there was all that talk of Nintendo not having crossplay ability and a lot of people were not interested in buying some of the same NES and SNES games again individually for Wii, 3DS, and Wii U. Not sure if that had an impact on 3DS VC sales with people now being less willing to spend again for some of the titles they'd have bought on Wii or not but it could have been.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2019, 06:14:15 PM »
To me the VC is something that should exist on every Nintendo platform and should just have older games available purely for the purpose of providing an option for a person to buy a classic game.  All this thought about how to space the releases and if it eats into new game sales comes across as very specific to the videogame industry.  Note that this isn't nearly as complicated in other entertainment industries.

If you go to the bookstore you don't only see new books.  New books coexist in the store (or on Amazon or on Kindle) with classic books.  Something like Frankenstein has probably been on the shelf of every book store in America since it was written.  While there are obviously books that go out of print it is perfectly normal in literature for readers to have access to both new books and old ones.  Same with music - old albums were sold next to new ones at stores and that continues with downloads or streaming services.  Same with movies.

Videogames are so young compared to those other fields (the founders of the videogame industry are mostly still alive; can't say that about those other industries) that I wonder if it is still immature regarding how to handle its history.  A game like Super Mario Bros. should always be available for customers to buy because it's a classic game with major historical significance.  It's also part of a series that continues to be popular today.  It sure wouldn't make sense if a new James Bond movie came out but the old Sean Connery films were out-of-print and difficult for a new fan to see.  But how do you familiarize yourself with many long running videogame series without having to seek out old systems and carts/discs or resorting to piracy and emulation?  It doesn't make sense to jump through hoops like that.  Those games should be available, not necessarily as a runaway hit but merely being "on the shelf" for the newcomer that wants to seek it out or the old fan that no longer has their old copy of the game.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2019, 04:36:20 PM »
Videogames are so young compared to those other fields (the founders of the videogame industry are mostly still alive; can't say that about those other industries) that I wonder if it is still immature regarding how to handle its history.

A lot of the industry doesn't even realize how popular their games are.  I mean, look at how badly Nintendo undershipped the NES Classic at first despite the announcement months earlier national headlines and generating a lot of social media buzz.  Then it took for that system to be a success for Sega to even give a damn about doing the same with the Genesis, despite the fact they technically released a similar device over a decade earlier that nobody cared for because it was crap.  Sony and Konami also took notice of this success as well, of course Sony then fell flat on their face showing they don't even understand what games people who own their classic systems even liked.

Maybe that's why they view old games as competition to new ones.  They think only the hardcore fans are the ones that care about replaying old games, but said hardcore are more likely to buy digital so releasing old classics at the same time on an online marketplace will cause them to focus on the classics and ignore the new ones.  Which would be a weird thing to think since the hardcore fans are more likely to buy several games at once and generally know more about what they're buying.

Of course things have gotten better this last gen.  We've been seeing more collections and remasters then ever before and Nintendo is trying a netflix system service for NES and SNES games on the Switch right now.  So hopefully the industry will keep building on making sure it's classic are widely available and things won't just reset at the beginning of the next gen.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2019, 09:41:52 PM »
How are other people doing with the GameBoy games that they purchased and/or recommended?

To answer ejamer's question, since starting these threads I have now purchased / added CATRAP, Kirby's Block Ball, Mole Mania and Super Mario Land.

Super Mario Land - Played through and beat it already since I knew it would be a pretty short adventure. Haven't played it in probably 15 years, at least. Quickly racked up a bunch of lives and had like 16 when getting into World 3-1. Didn't die once up to that point. Did start die a bit more after that point but was never in danger of getting a Game Over. Could have beat it on an actual Game Boy and didn't really need the restore point. Just used it so I could take a break for a moment and make sure my progress was saved. Surprised how much I remember of the game. I suppose when the original way to play meant having to restart from the beginning when getting a Game Over then that will ingrain a lot of stuff through repetition. Things were much less familiar as I got further into Worlds 3 and 4. Checked my playtime after and it was 53 minutes exact so it really is less than an hour to complete this game. Despite Mario controlling a bit more stiffly than in newer / later games, I really do like this title and I can see myself going back to it a couple more times because it is a fun quick romp.

Kirby's Block Ball - Tested it out a little bit. Got through the first World. My early impression is that it is ok. Doesn't seem to difficult but that could change. It's something I see myself playing in short bursts but I think I'd get bored playing it steady for a longer amount of time. Sometimes it seems like the game sets things up for Kirby to hit which would require better precision aiming but so far I'm not really seeing a way to perform such maneuvering. My main takeaway actually was that this is probably what inspired HAL to do a couple Pinball games after with Kirby's Pinball Land and Revenge of the Gator. (At least, I think they came after. Didn't check on that when writing this.) It feels a lot like pinball except you can move the paddle/flipper across the exit pit to bounce the ball back up to the course as you watch its descent.

Mole Mania - Have not touched it or booted it up yet. Am saving it for later after I finish a couple other games first.

CATRAP - After seeing ejamer's post, I'm glad I saved Mole Mania so that now I can play it after CATRAP. Decided to boot up CATRAP now and see what it is like. Have gone through the first 10 puzzles. I suppose looking at the manual may have helped a bit but just did some trial and error testing the buttons and figuring out how controls and the game mechanics work while diving in. At first, I question just how easy this game might be but around puzzle 8, I finally had to take a moment to plan ahead what to do so if the game does get more tricky then I'm looking forward to see what these later levels might develop into. Probably will finish this after wrapping up DKL3.

Mario's Picross - I think I've completed every puzzle but I'm not quite sure. Time Trial mode up its puzzles randomly unlike the other sections where you can select them and I'm not sure if Time Trial mode has a message congratulating the player when all puzzles are complete. When playing it now, it seems to be cycling through puzzles I beat already in that mode so I'm hoping that's a sign I did finish them all and now it is going through them again instead of keeping a puzzle or two I hadn't encountered from appearing by now. I got a bit Picross'd out last year after going through the Twilight Princess Picross game that was a reward from My Nintendo if you had the points and then playing through and completing all of Picross DS. Looking back at reviews of Mario's Picross when it was re-released, some people complained about how it only had 15x15 puzzles because that was the biggest that could fit on the Game Boy screen at the time instead of some larger puzzles. Personally, I'm OK with that as larger puzzles often take more time to complete. Even at 15x15, there are some pretty tough and challenging puzzles to solve and I really had to keep checking over and over through a puzzle for any small scrap of a clue hoping to finally find the info that will crack the puzzle wide open and get me rolling to solve it. There a couple things about the game that seem unnecessary (and that seem to have been removed from the other Picross games I've played) such as the timer countdown to solve a puzzle and getting dinged for filling in a square which one might have done accidentally or deliberately and thus losing time off the clock whereas x-ing out a wrong square brings no consequences. Finishing this has led me to Pokemon Picross so I'm back in the Picross Stockholm Syndrome zone but it's free to play nature is killing my buzz a bit. Still, getting into MP was quite addicting and became my main gaming focus for awhile.

Donkey Kong Land 3 - Had been slowly playing this a bit before starting these threads. Didn't want to burn through it too fast since this is the last new DK Rare experience there is for me. At this point, I've beaten K. Rool and am now in the Lost World. Uh, I mean, spoilers! Probably wrap this up in the next day or so though. I often go back and forth between DKC 2 and 3 as to which one is better though I usually fall on the side of DKC 2 mainly because of presentation. However, in the battle of the DK Land trilogy, I'd say 2 is easily the winner there with a battle between 1 and 3 for the second spot. 1 is a bit rougher but it has some odd and interesting ideas that never popped up in the series again whereas 3 is Rare really being able to provide a close experience to the console games on the handheld but it feels more diminished from the actual console game and a bit lesser because of that. Unlike DKL2, when my mind recognizes and compares elements between DKC3 and DKL3, I keep viewing DKC3 as superior whereas DKL2 seemed much closer to how DKC2 did things and thus more equal if that makes sense to someone reading this. Anyways, I'm still impressed with how well Rare was able to get the DKC experience on a handheld and think these games hold up just as well as their SNES counterparts do today. These DKL games are still my top 5 of Game Boy VC games that I've played so far.

However, I'll probably be taking a bit of a break from the GB library to start playing through Metroid Other M since I said I'd do that for pokepal's retroactive and last I checked the thread, ejamer wanted to wait on his thoughts until others had played the game too so I guess I should get on that. Still have more Game Boy games I want to get to and buy but I'm trying to be space things out a bit by buying a couple and beating those and then getting new ones and rinse and repeat instead of just buying everything all at once and backlogging a bunch. Since the GB games seem to be of such a short nature, it probably won't take too long to work through them but I don't mind spacing them out in this way.

Also, all the talk and praise for Super Mario Land 2 has got me contemplating a replay of that game now but I think I'm going to hold off for a bit and get through some of these "newer" titles I haven't played yet before going back to it. Now that I've gone through Super Mario Land again, I'm looking for some more simple Mario action.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2019, 03:39:25 AM »
CATRAP -  ... so if the game does get more tricky ...

It does ramp up in difficulty, but it takes a long time to get there. Even by level 50, you'll probably plow through a lot of stages very quickly with just a couple of rewinds to fix mistakes. That said, I think the "not too difficult" approach is probably good for a game like this, as there is no way to skip a level if you do get stuck.

... I'm back in the Picross Stockholm Syndrome zone ...

We've all been there (and enjoyed it).

... start playing through Metroid Other M ...

Do it! Other M is a flawed experience, but still interesting and only lasts for about 10 hours. Way more fun than I had expected. I even did the post-game content, which is pretty rare.

Also, all the talk and praise for Super Mario Land 2 has got me contemplating a replay of that game now but I think I'm going to hold off for a bit and get through some of these "newer" titles I haven't played yet before going back to it. Now that I've gone through Super Mario Land again, I'm looking for some more simple Mario action.

Do this too, eventually!

Totally a worthwhile purchase for Mario fans, despite the low difficulty and short playing time overall. You can always replay a bunch of the stages anyway, or look for secret exits, or take alternate paths through the overworld. (Also, the final stage does increase the challenge level and will might take a few tries.)