Author Topic: Super Mario RPG Remastered for Nintendo Switch  (Read 1207 times)

Offline John Rairdin

• Director
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Super Mario RPG Remastered for Nintendo Switch
« on: June 21, 2023, 06:51:43 AM »

Geno still isn't in Smash and he never will be.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/64054/super-mario-rpg-remastered-for-nintendo-switch

The Super Nintendo classic role-playing-game, Super Mario PRG is headed to Switch via a brand-new remake. Announced during today's Nintendo Direct, Super Mario RPG will be coming to Nintendo Switch on November 17, 2023. The remake features the same isometric perspective as the original but with brand new, real-time, 3D graphics to replace the pre-rendered 3D of the original. Some high quality pre-rendered cutscenes were also shown off.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario RPG Remastered for Nintendo Switch
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 11:53:56 AM »
When I think of what my favourite game of all time is, Super Mario RPG always enters the conversation.  So this seems like a no-brainer but I'll have to see what the price is, since I think of it like paying to replay a game I already own but with new coat of paint.  Another one of my favourite games is Link's Awakening but I don't have that remake yet because Nintendo first party games don't often decrease in price and it needs to be in the impulse buy price range.

So under normal circumstances I would be quite interested if it was the sort of game that shows up in sales with a big discount but because it's Mario, it won't.  Great for people who haven't played it though.  For newcomers it will be worth whatever price they give it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 12:31:04 PM »
My big worry when this was rumored (along with Chrono Trigger) is that Square Enix would **** it up and make it another of their ugly "HD2D" games.

They did not **** it up. This looks like exactly what I want...even if the battle UI looks rather mobile cash-in/RPGMaker.

And now Sakarai has an excuse to put Geno in Smash. :P
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 08:43:56 PM »
Could you imagine if they announced a surprise Smash update the same day the SMRPG remake is released?

Marketing!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 08:05:34 PM »
From the first couple notes, I immediately said Super Mario RPG like I was answering a question on Jeopardy. Just recognized what I was being shown instantly. Then I thought, ah, they're finally putting it on the SNES Switch app. But then the music paused as suddenly a new development occurred with the shiny bubble. Instantly, I started getting hyped up! Are they about to announce a sequel? Is Square Enix returning to make a new Mario RPG. The graphics changed and then it began to continue showing familiar scenes but in this new coat of paint and I lost all my sudden hype at realizing it was just a remaster/remake of the original game. Sure, it's a great title but I've played it at least 5 times over and don't see the need to buy it again at $80.

Plus, I guess I'm just too used to the SNES graphics which are more rough looking now then they used to be but the game will forever be tied to that look in my mind. Seeing it in HD graphics of the current Mario standard look for enemies and items just seemed off. Doesn't help that Mario and Peach then don't look like their current models and are more smushed.

I'd say I'm in the same mindset as Ian Sane on this one but I had the added disappointment of thinking we were getting an unexpected but welcome surprise of a sequel to it.  :'(
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 11:07:41 AM »
Personally, I have no interest in remakes that are 1:1 or close to it. If they totally overhauled the game, including turning it into fully 3D worlds, I might have been interested. I guess Metroid Zero Mission has spoiled me on what remakes should be.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 03:54:44 PM »
Bro I NEED the buy the Super Mario RPG remake.  :D ;)
123:D0

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 05:26:10 PM »
 ;)
123:D0

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2023, 02:59:28 PM »
Bro I NEED the buy the Super Mario RPG remake.  :D ;)

Why? Will someone die if you don't? Feel like this needs more information...
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.