Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3163165 times)

Offline Invincible Donkey Kong

• DK Crew. HUH!
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #5450 on: January 14, 2010, 10:44:36 PM »
Kicking ass, taking names, kicking ass, taking names, kicking ass, taking names... :reggie:
Buy Zap's perler bead art!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/NewDonkCityVending

Operation: Get Zap a Switch GoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/get-zap-a-switch

Summer of Donk ~ 2017 Twitch meetups! ~ DKC2
https://www.twitch.tv/zapr2k

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: January 14, 2010, 10:45:44 PM »
Well done Reggie. And might I add, "Holy fucking ****!"
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: January 14, 2010, 10:47:03 PM »
Hey Reggie, you should get us some numbers for Silent Hill Wii and MW[reflex].

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: January 14, 2010, 10:52:12 PM »
Well, I'm certainly disappointed in these numbers.

If Nintendo's success disappoints you then why are you on a Nintendo fan site?
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: January 14, 2010, 11:00:55 PM »

Nintendo's overwhelming success disappoints me when I feel its competitors had a much stronger Fall.  It doesn't mean I don't like many Nintendo games.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Invincible Donkey Kong

• DK Crew. HUH!
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: January 14, 2010, 11:09:39 PM »
Nintendo's overwhelming success disappoints me when I feel its competitors had a much stronger fall.

Yep, they fell alright. :reggie:
Buy Zap's perler bead art!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/NewDonkCityVending

Operation: Get Zap a Switch GoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/get-zap-a-switch

Summer of Donk ~ 2017 Twitch meetups! ~ DKC2
https://www.twitch.tv/zapr2k

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: January 14, 2010, 11:10:57 PM »
Nintendo's overwhelming success disappoints me when I feel its competitors had a much stronger fall.

Yep, they fell alright. :reggie:

Just couldn't resist that one, could you?  I knew someone had to when I wrote that, but there was no better way of putting it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: January 14, 2010, 11:12:57 PM »
Others could have joined in too if they were more open to their potential audience and took off their HD filters.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5458 on: January 14, 2010, 11:20:21 PM »

Nintendo's overwhelming success disappoints me when I feel its competitors had a much stronger Fall.  It doesn't mean I don't like many Nintendo games.

Actually, as a Nintendo fan, I've had the exact same situation turned against me many times before. Sometimes having some of the most exceptional games is just a part of the equation. I mean, look at how NSMBWii is outperforming SMG! Super Mario Galaxy was undoubtedly a landmark game, but to get the sort of phenomenal that Nintendo has achieved this generation, they've needed to do more than just appeal to the game critics, they've needed to capture the imagination of gamers from 2 to 92. Including Grandmas.

After all, hardcore gamers aren't the be-all-and-end-all of this industry. Nintendo's been saying that ever since the NES.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline SalesBot

• Score: 40
    • View Profile
NPD December 2009 Nintendo PR
« Reply #5459 on: January 15, 2010, 12:02:25 AM »
Quote from: Nintendo PR
NINTENDO FINISHES 2009 WITH MULTIPLE SALES RECORDS

Wii Has the Best Month in Video Game History, Nintendo DS Has the Best Calendar Year of All Time

Jan. 14, 2010

A holiday shopping frenzy helped both of Nintendo's video game systems make history: Nintendo's Wii™ home system sold more than 3.8 million units in December, a new all-time single-month U.S. sales record. The Nintendo DS™ Lite and Nintendo DSi™ hand-held systems combined to sell more than 3.3 million, the second biggest month in U.S. history.

Those strong December numbers helped propel the Nintendo DS franchise to more than 11.2 million sold in 2009, a new U.S. calendar-year sales record for any video game system – ever. The Wii console finished 2009 with 9.6 million sold. Of all the Wii consoles ever sold in the United States since its November 2006 launch, nearly one-fifth (18.7 percent) were sold during November and December 2009.

"Wii, Nintendo DS Lite and Nintendo DSi combined to sell more than 7 million units in the month of December alone," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Clearly there is overwhelming consumer demand for fun games, motion controls and value. This remarkable hardware sales surge presents a tremendous software opportunity for Nintendo and its third-party partners as we head into 2010."

Lifetime U.S. sales for Wii have now surpassed 27.2 million units. No other home console has ever sold so many so quickly. Lifetime U.S. sales for the Nintendo DS franchise have topped 38.8 million units, surpassing lifetime sales of the Game Boy™ Advance franchise.

As always, great software drives hardware sales. In December alone, consumers placed six Nintendo games in the top 10 best-sellers of the month. These include New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii at No. 1 with more than 2.8 million sold, Wii Sports Resort™ at No. 2 with more than 1.7 million sold, Wii Fit™ Plus with the Wii Balance Board™ accessory at No. 3 with more than 1.7 million sold, Wii Play™ at No. 6 with more than 1.0 million sold, Mario Kart™ Wii at No. 7 with more than 936,000 sold and Mario & Luigi™: Bowser's Inside Story for Nintendo DS Lite and Nintendo DSi at No. 10 with more than 656,000 sold.

For all of 2009, Nintendo finished with seven of the top 10 best-selling games of the year. These include New Super Mario Bros. Wii at No. 2 with more than 4.2 million sold, Wii Sports Resort at No. 3 with more than 4.2 million sold, Wii Fit™ at No. 4 with more than 3.5 million sold, Mario Kart Wii at No. 5 with nearly 3.1 million sold, Wii Play at No. 6 with more than 3.1 million sold, Wii Fit Plus™ at No. 8 with more than 2.4 million sold and Pokémon™ Platinum Version at No. 10 with more than 2.0 million sold.

All numbers contained in this document are according to the NPD Group, which tracks U.S. video game sales.

For more information about Nintendo, please visit www.nintendo.com.
"To Report, Not Decide"<BR>Soon to be New & Improved!!

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5460 on: January 15, 2010, 12:39:21 AM »
This is like, wow. I'm speechless.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: January 15, 2010, 12:47:23 AM »
I've always thought it was strange whenever somebody is disappointed by the sales of a product which doesn't interest them when it doesn't really affect the sales of products which do interest them.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: January 15, 2010, 12:48:56 AM »
You know what these anemic sales need to boost interest? Games about sitting around.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #5463 on: January 15, 2010, 12:49:29 AM »
Reggie's bet was for NSMB to beat Modern Warfare on one system... and it did. 4 mil compared to 2 mil on the PS3.

ReggieFA needs to fix his signature.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:53:11 AM by bustin98 »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: January 15, 2010, 12:55:13 AM »
Reggie's bet was for NSMB to beat Modern Warfare on one system... and it did. 4 mil compared to 2 mil on the PS3.

Actually, I think that at the time, Geoff Keighley challenged Reggie to commit to the XBox 360 instead of just one platform, which the Reggienator did, one of the few times in his taking names career when he would have to leave behind a letter or two.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: January 15, 2010, 01:17:05 AM »
http://twitter.com/geoffkeighley
Mario vs. Modern Warfare. Modern Warfare 2 is up to 5.83M on 360, Mario Wii is 4.21 M. Can Reggie make up the difference by end of Jan?

@abellwillring No, he said it would beat 360.

@abellwillring Yeah it was misreported a few places. Reggie said single platform, I said "360?" and he said yes.

The bet is not likely to be won, but won or lost, NSMBW is a beast and will win in the long run regardless if you combine all skus of MW2 or not.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5466 on: January 15, 2010, 01:28:21 AM »
Why not just talk about the worldwide numbers and end this nonsense?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: January 15, 2010, 01:41:07 AM »
I've always thought it was strange whenever somebody is disappointed by the sales of a product which doesn't interest them when it doesn't really affect the sales of products which do interest them.

Except that it does.  When the casuals jump all over a title aimed at them (Wii Fit and Wii Play, for example), but not a title aimed at casual & core (Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3, for example), which do you think Nintendo focuses on making and which do you think 3rd parties see as titles that must be made?  More casual titles, because that's what sells on Wii.

That's my issue with the Wii's hardware sales: they're sales made to consumers who don't buy games.  They buy the system for a couple games, and then basically ignore the system otherwise.  I have no problem with new blood in our industry and can appreciate their style of gaming, but I feel like we've been coddling a group of gamers for 3 years who don't actually want to do anything to support the evolution of the hobby by exploring that vast ocean of experiences outside their casual niche.  Instead, they stay on the shore; buy one or two games a year (mostly from Nintendo); and then we're expected to reorient our expectations around them.  I'm just tired of waiting for them to step across that bridge Nintendo's been trying to build since the Wii launched.

[/rant]

Full Disclosure: My team just lost a very close and irritating game on National TV, so I'm probably more irritable tonight than I usually am.

Holy crap, we won by one!  http://www.nba.com/video/games/jazz/2010/01/14/0020900570_cle_uta_play4.nba/  :D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:09:34 AM by broodwars »

Offline SalesBot

• Score: 40
    • View Profile
NPD December 2009
« Reply #5468 on: January 15, 2010, 01:42:50 AM »
December:
[ALL] The Beatles: Rock Band - 357,000

2009:
[ALL] The Beatles: Rock Band - 1,180,000
[ALL] Guitar Hero 5 - 996,000

360 - 18,630,986 (50 months) (December 2009)
PS2 - 20,150,000 (38 months) (November 2003)
PS2 - 25,902,000 (50 months) (November 2004)
WII - 27,134,881 (38 months) (December 2009)

GCN - 9,163,241 (38 months) (December 2004)
PS3 - 11,128,696 (38 months) (December 2009)
Xbx - 11,711,402 (38 months) (December 2004)

GCN - 12,252,000 (50 months) (December 2005)
Xbx - 13,490,000 (50 months) (December 2005)
360 - 13,697,000 (38 months) (December 2008)

"To Report, Not Decide"<BR>Soon to be New & Improved!!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: January 15, 2010, 01:43:34 AM »
Why not just talk about the worldwide numbers and end this nonsense?

I know! The bet doesn't even include Canada! T_T

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5470 on: January 15, 2010, 01:48:55 AM »
Reggie's foot knows no boundaries.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: January 15, 2010, 02:13:58 AM »
I doubt even he would want to cross that one.

...Canadians.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: January 15, 2010, 02:34:37 AM »
Quote from: broodwars link=topic=18481.msg577858#msg577858
That's my issue with the Wii's hardware sales: they're sales made to consumers who don't buy games.  They buy the system for a couple games, and then basically ignore the system otherwise.

But again, how is that hurting anything? What you're suggesting is that all these people buying Wiis isn't helping the hardcore library, and that might be true, but you aren't demonstrating that it is hurting it in any way. Do you remember the GC? That was a system that didn't get hardcore support, but you can't say the casual audience was to blame for that because they didn't exist then (or were very small at the time).

So let's say Nintendo had ignored the casual crowd and never made Wii Sports or Wii Resort or Wii Fit. Alright, so now they don't have the casuals they have today. But does this mean they are going to have the hardcore third party support? Looking at the example of the Gamecube, I would have to say the answer would be no.

So to summarize, yeah, maybe the casuals aren't helping things; but on the other hand there's no reason to believe their presence is hurting anything either. What we have with the Wii is basically the same ****ty 3rd party support as with the GC and N64 before it, except the Wii has managed to sell extremely well despite those hurdles. This is good for Nintendo, and it does guarantee they aren't going to be forced into 3rd party status like Sega and Atari the way so many people predicted they would just a few years ago. Now, the thought of Nintendo being reduced to a 3rd party is inconceivable. But I will say that hopefully at some point all of this cash Nintendo is making will be used to fund hardcore games....
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:42:02 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: January 15, 2010, 02:41:05 AM »
But hopefully at some point all of this cash Nintendo is making will be used to fund hardcore games....

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=29920.msg577902#msg577902

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: January 15, 2010, 03:38:07 AM »
Well, I'm certainly disappointed in these numbers.  Sony put out a phenomenal Fall lineup this year, and yet they still managed to sell barely more than the 360 this month.  Meanwhile, Nintendo puts in about 1/10 as much effort and has nearly triple the sales.  The power of the casuals...

Was Sony's fall lineup expanding the appeal of the system or just adding to the games people who already own a PS3 will buy? E.g. Uncharted 2 will sell mostly to people who already liked Uncharted 1 and thus already own a PS3. That's one of the reasons Nintendo franchises get only 1-2 releases per console usually, only the first game can be a killer app because by the time the second comes around anyone who likes that sort of game already bought the system.