Author Topic: Wii U to Have $300 Price Tag, Simultaneous Tablet Play?  (Read 35204 times)

Offline ResettisCousin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U to Have $300 Price Tag, Simultaneous Tablet Play?
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »
Here's what I think.
How many times did I get together with friends and play local multiplayer DS games? To be honest, not many. I find that part of the fun in local multiplayer is sharing a screen. I've been to a couple LAN parties. The low lights, blank faces, pyramids of Mt Dew cans and mist of body oder were enough to convice me that a couch, a buddy, one TV and Rayman Origins is the kind of multiplayer I'm after. I don't think that will be quite as fun if both players are darting back and forth from tablet to TV. Won't I just want to keep my eyes on one or the other? And speculation aside, I _know_ that the power to stream to the tablet takes away from the ability to render on the TV. Ya wanna know what I really want in local multiplayer? A couple wireless Classic Controllers and a stunning new version of Mario Galaxy, Rayman Origins 2 (yeah, I saw the trailer... the tablet sections looked slow, lame, and utilitarian. Also perfunctory). And make it a Diet Coke, thank you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2012, 01:51:49 PM »
I'm gonna out myself now... I really hate the term "wiimote"... Like, with a passion.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2012, 01:56:43 PM »
I'm gonna out myself now... I really hate the term "wiimote"... Like, with a passion.

So do I, especially when a gaming "journalist" uses the term. That should be something any decent editor will not let happen.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2012, 02:05:10 PM »

So do I, especially when a gaming "journalist" uses the term. That should be something any decent editor will not let happen.
I honestly think that was a missed opportunity for Nintendo Marketing.  Wii Remote is just so utilitarian for non-utilitarian piece of equipment.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »
Wii Remote .... remote..... wiimote.

Nintendo really should have trademarked that.

as far as my own made up term for multiple uMotes (since only Bman doesn't seem to get it)

Wii U Remote Controller... Wii U Remote.... Wii UMote... uMote
2 uMotes.... two uMotes.... twoMotes... tuMote.

now was that really so hard to figure out?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2012, 02:32:56 PM »
Heh, my personal terminology (that just hasn't caught on T-T) is "Tablet Controller".
I've been calling it tablet controller too. /Internet high five

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2012, 02:36:19 PM »
But the abbreviated TabCon doesn't sound good.

and here is that "Wii U Touchscreen Controller" naming thread someone mentioned earlier.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=34754.msg680111#msg680111

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2012, 02:39:35 PM »
Until we get a better name, it's the Wii U Controller in our NWR Style Guide. I don't like the uMote because, well, it's not a remote. It ain't the Classic Remote, it's the Classic Controller. Hell, it's not even just a tablet. I guess tablet controller is the closest and best description for it.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2012, 02:44:44 PM »
We could go with the patent description: terminal device :-p
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »
since I've been digging through old link all morning, I came across this article from waaay back sometime last year.

Nintendo saying that Wii U should have the ability to use 2 uMotes/Tablet Controllers/ or whatever you want to call it

http://www.examiner.com/article/nintendo-talks-upcoming-wii-games-friday-launches-wii-u-anniversaries-more
Quote from:  Matt Ryan from Nintendo of Canada - 8/9/2011
"Let me correct something that is a misconception," Ryan began. "We said that the Wii U system will come with one Wii U controller, but we haven't said that you can only use one Wii U controller. The fact is that if the developer makes a game or an experience that uses more than one, then anything is possible."

"What we've also talked about is to imagine taking some of the experiences you've had at your own home, putting them on your Wii U controller, and taking that with you somewhere else. That would again get rid of that myth and misconception that only one can be used. So, the possibility is there, but the system will only come with one at this point."
"Okay, so that I can elaborate on. The Wii U is not a portable handheld device you're going to take with you in transit or into a proximity away from the Wii U console, but you can take content from your console, put it on your Wii U controller, take it with you somewhere else, and be able to upload it.  That technology is possible."
I likened it to the Wii Remote, which has a small amount of memory for storing Miis and the like, and he noted it is "similar, but that's kind of basic, what you can do with the Wii Remote. Taking a Mii with you is cool and fun, but this has the possibility to do more... not on the go, but once you get somewhere else where you take your stuff to someone else's environment, it's definitely possible."
"It's hard for us to commit to anything concrete, but yes, it's a possibility because the controllers are compatible. It's possible to have that kind of experience."

just thought I would throw that out there.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2012, 03:40:29 PM »
But the abbreviated TabCon doesn't sound good.

I attended the TabCon (the convention for Tab cola enthusiasts) in Tallahassee two summers ago. Good times.

Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2012, 03:51:50 PM »
They still make Tab? and it has a convention?

themoreyouknow.gif

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2012, 04:12:33 PM »
Knew they still made it.... can't tell if serious about the convention comment.

On a related note, I do hope I can go by the World of Coke in Atlanta this week... I sooooo want to try Beverly.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2012, 05:52:12 PM »
Heh, my personal terminology (that just hasn't caught on T-T) is "Tablet Controller".
I've been calling it tablet controller too. /Internet high five

Yeah! Oh man! /Internet high five
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline TeaHee

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2012, 06:50:10 PM »
If they do not have 2 tablet controllers, it will be a huge mistake.  There can never be true head to head competition because there will be a much different and presumably better game play experience for someone with the tablet controller.  Two controller support is my main hope for E3.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2012, 07:09:27 PM »
I think it's better for Nintendo to allow multiple controllers and let developers choose whether or not to use them then to not even give the choice.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2012, 07:35:36 PM »
Yeah, unnecessary self-imposed restrictions has always been one of Nintendo's major problems. The single circle pad being the latest example. Let 3rd parties decide what they want to use.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2012, 07:52:05 PM »
It will be interesting to know the % processor power is used for powering a fully 3D rendered game engine (versus just a menu) on the Wii U controller.

Reminds me of the FF games on DS pushing all power from both processors to the top screen.
Although it would be kind of boring just having a black blank screen on the Wii U controller.
But if that lets them run the next-gen level of games, why not!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2012, 10:40:26 PM »
As much as I like the idea of asynchronous multiplayer, there's so much more they could do with even just one more uMote. Options are a good thing, in almost any scenario involving a game system.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2012, 10:48:08 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't want >1 tablet capability?

A) I don't want to pay for a 2nd one.  I doubt they're cheap.

B) Given item "A," I don't want to have an expensive piece of hardware sitting around barely getting used.  You see, if two or more tablets come in the original box, developers can make games with that in mind.  But if not, developers will be gun shy about it.  Just as they ignore every other non-packed-in peripheral on the market (motion plus, balance board, move, kinect).

Why are we begging Nintendo to put us and developers in that uncomfortable position?

Am I the ONLY ONE who sees the McLarge Huge dose of sweet, dripping irony that this post involves due to its authorship? Please tell me I'm not.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2012, 11:19:58 PM »
Yes, you are. Care to explain?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2012, 12:34:45 AM »
I believe he's referring to the fact that, for once, NinSage is being negative about what Nintendo appears to be doing, while everyone else is happy and supportive of it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2012, 12:43:02 AM »
Ah.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2012, 04:45:29 AM »
I believe he's referring to the fact that, for once, NinSage is being negative about what Nintendo appears to be doing, while everyone else is happy and supportive of it.

So in other words NinSage is the anti-Ian Sane? He's like Ian Sane's arch nemesis?

If you think about it, the names Ian Sane and NinSage are almost anagrams of each other. The only problem is Ian Sane is missing a G.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 04:47:51 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2012, 04:49:12 AM »
Should we fit with with an avatar of the Joker?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.