Author Topic: Super Mario Kart Hitting Virtual Console This Monday  (Read 19349 times)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Kart Hitting Virtual Console This Monday
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2009, 08:48:15 PM »
What part of Super Mario Kart discussion begins here didn't you understand?  ;)

Truthfully, I hate SMK.  Hate hate hate hate hate.  Can't stand it.  I hate the controls.  I hate the coins.  I hate jumping.  I think battle mode is boring.

I played MK64 first so maybe that has something to do with it.

I played SMK for an entire summer with a great friend (mostly battle mode) in 7th grade, we love'd it.  Than 64 came out, and our minds were BLOWN the next 8 years, still playing competitive with it in college.  So I guess, SMK is just a great nostalgic trip for me as I agree MK64 is better.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2009, 08:54:09 PM »
I guess it depends on your point of view of what "meant to be played" means.  While I don't have any evidence of what Sakurai's opinion of the game is, I'll take your word for it that you read it somewhere... just because he may prefer to play it one way, the sheer fact that they put the options in means they acknowledge that that is not the only way people like to play.

So again, it's meant to be played either way. :)
I think that Broodwars said it best:

That Sakurai was kind enough to give players the option doesn't mean that's how the designers meant the game to be played.  All those options are turned on by default for a reason, after all.
The game was designed as a light-hearted 4-player fighting game with lots of mayhem, hence, that is the intended way of playing it. The fact that most people find the game to be boring when you remove all of those elements which set it apart from your typical fighting game is evidence that it wasn't meant to be played that way. But that certainly doesn't mean people can't if that's what floats their boat.

I guess I just find it hard to believe that the designers were forced to do us a favor and put those options in.  I think its a much more likely scenario that they thought... "Damn, it's awesome that our game can be played as a hyper competitive one-on-one fighter OR a 4-player party game brawler."
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2009, 09:01:30 PM »
The fact that most people find the game to be boring when you remove all of those elements which set it apart from your typical fighting game is evidence that it wasn't meant to be played that way.

"Most" seems like pretty anecdotal evidence.

If the game wasn't meant to be played that way, then by this time the options simply would have been removed. This isn't like wavedashing, which was not how the game was meant to be played and was therefore removed by the time Brawl came around. It was always their intent to let people play it how they wanted to, and for some reason people throw a hissy fit that some enjoy the game in a totally different way than themselves.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2009, 09:25:15 PM »
I agree with Pale.  If its in the game, then they intended for you to use it.  Saying its not, is like saying if you play Madden, you should rely on a running game, like a man, instead of throwing the ball.  Just doesn't add up.  Like EA says, 'Its in the game!".
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2009, 09:55:16 PM »
I think its a much more likely scenario that they thought... "Damn, it's awesome that our game can be played as a hyper competitive one-on-one fighter OR a 4-player party game brawler."
I think that their thought process went like this: "We'd better add in some other options or else people will complain that the game is too limited." I don't know why you seem to think that it is a bad thing I consider the tournament rules to be outside of how the game was designed to be played, as it isn't like it CAN'T be played or enjoyed that way.

The fact that most people find the game to be boring when you remove all of those elements which set it apart from your typical fighting game is evidence that it wasn't meant to be played that way.

"Most" seems like pretty anecdotal evidence.
The tournament scene represents no more than 1% of the people who own the games. The game was designed to be a simplified fighter with easy-to-pick-up controls, and has mass appeal thanks to the various franchises represented within it. Brawl has sold the most of the three games and appears on a system which is marketed towards everyone ("casuals" or "non-gamers"). Seems like enough evidence to me.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2009, 10:02:05 PM »
What part of Super Mario Kart discussion begins here didn't you understand?

"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2009, 10:04:45 PM »
lol, sorry, I tried. I'm still upset about GoldenPhoenix leaving...

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2009, 10:10:10 PM »
The tournament scene represents no more than 1% of the people who own the games.

Who says one has to be part of the tournament scene to enjoy playing the game a certain way? Or even a variety of ways?

The game was designed to be a simplified fighter with easy-to-pick-up controls, and has mass appeal thanks to the various franchises represented within it.

I agree, and it works very well that way.

Brawl has sold the most of the three games and appears on a system which is marketed towards everyone ("casuals" or "non-gamers"). Seems like enough evidence to me.

How do you figure? What does the Wii have to do with it? What do casuals have to do with enjoying the game with or without items? Is there some data I'm unaware of that indicates that casuals only enjoy playing the game with all items, four players? I'd say they are more likely to play with the default option just out of ease, but your original point was that "most" would find other options boring, which I don't believe.

Anyway, again, I just want to make it clear that it frustrates me that people have to rally behind their method of play for this game and feel the need to turn their nose at those who play it differently.

...And on the topic of Super Mario Kart, I always enjoyed this entry in the series as the first one I played. It was a tremendous amount of fun back in the day. However, I felt Mario Kart 64 improved on it tremendously. The games are very different, with dynamics like the jump being more defined and the coins, which gives them both a little life against each other... but I felt Mario Karty 64 was when the series hit its peak and zenith.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:11:54 PM by Arbok »
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2009, 10:16:43 PM »
There's no way to know what kinds of people play it or how they play it, I was just going with what I know. The game can be played a variety of ways and that's what's great about it, I have my preference but I don't have a problem with others deviating from that.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2009, 10:21:55 PM »
The game can be played a variety of ways and that's what's great about it, I have my preference but I don't have a problem with others deviating from that.

Awesome, so we agree then!

...so wait, how did this convo even start then... >_>

Nothing like a Nintendo forum to get a little back and forth going with two people who agree on the same points I suppose.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2009, 10:27:41 PM »
I think it's just the way I was presenting myself I guess? I mean, I DO still think it is boring to use the tournament rules, and that it isn't how the game was designed to be played. But I don't care if someone likes to play that way. When I play with others then we take turns choosing the rules each match and cycle through everyone, and I don't complain whenever somebody picks something I don't like such as turning items off.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2009, 12:08:39 AM »
lol, sorry, I tried. I'm still upset about GoldenPhoenix leaving...

Wait, what?  Did GP leave the site or something?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2009, 01:56:00 AM »
Why not add the Blue Shell to the next Smash Bros? Make it an instant KO and hit whoever has the least damage.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2009, 02:37:03 AM »
Why not add the Blue Shell to the next Smash Bros? Make it an instant KO and hit whoever has the least damage.

Isn't that basically what half of the character's Smash Balls are?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2009, 02:38:55 AM »

I was juuuust about to say that and got that "new post" message when I went to post.

I actually think that Mario Kart Wii is more balanced that Brawl. OH SNAP!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2009, 02:39:44 AM »
HaHa! I beat you!...but I don't feel very victorious.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2009, 02:41:11 AM »
You'd better not, or else you have to change your title to "Always beating women".

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2009, 02:43:43 AM »
"Always hated by women"...  :-\

;)
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2009, 02:50:12 AM »
Was your title changed without your knowledge?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2009, 02:59:46 AM »
It was changed shortly after the initial joke broke on the boards but I have no knowledge of who did it and was not part of the changing process. I think it is funny, though. That's how good titles are made, right?
My Game Collection

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2009, 04:03:46 AM »
You'd better not, or else you have to change your title to "Always beating women".

More like "setting off traps", eh?

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2009, 02:30:40 PM »

Some of them, yes. Others, not really. Sonic's Smash Attack is the most cheapest attack EVER. Snake's, on the other hand, needs good aiming skills.

Ironic that a character which people wanted in Brawl got the **** end of the stick and another character who's creator is a giant troll got a slightly well balanced move set.

yes i am bitter
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2009, 07:05:03 PM »
The thing that kind of kills SMK now, when I go back to it, is that there is no working power slide.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »
The thing that kind of kills SMK now, when I go back to it, is that there is no working power slide.
That is not true. It is just different from MK64.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2009, 12:47:11 PM »
Yeah, sliding in SMK makes it so you don't scrub off any speed around corners, allowing you to hit that AWESOME high pitched WIIRRRRRR of your kart motor going at top speed.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram