Author Topic: Super Mario Kart Hitting Virtual Console This Monday  (Read 19350 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Super Mario Kart Hitting Virtual Console This Monday
« on: November 20, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »
Super Smash Bros. and Pilotwings are also set to come out this holiday season.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=20381

Super Mario Kart is hitting the North American Virtual Console on November 23, according to GameSpot.    

The original Mario racing title, which is already out on Virtual Console in Japan, won't be the only Nintendo-published title on the service this holiday season as the first entry in the Super Smash Bros. series and Pilotwings series are also hitting Virtual Console soon.    

Super Smash Bros., which debuted in all of its four-player fighting game glory on the Nintendo 64 in 1999, is already out in Japan and Europe. The game was followed up by Super Smash Bros. Melee on GameCube in 2001 and Super Smash Bros. Brawl on Wii in 2008.    

Pilotwings, a Super Nintendo launch title that featured Mode 7 graphics, is already out in Europe. It spawned one sequel, Pilotwings 64, that was a part of the Nintendo 64 launch in 1996.    

Super Mario Kart will be 800 Wii Points ($8). The prices of the other two titles weren't confirmed, though one can assume that Pilotwings will most likely be 800 Wii Points ($8) and Super Smash Bros. will be 1,000 Wii Points ($10).

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Kart Hitting Virtual Console This Monday
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 02:35:31 AM »
Yay?  Is there any reason we couldn't get Pilotwings 64 rather than the original SNES game?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 02:37:36 AM »
Is there any reason we couldn't get Yoshi's Island rather than any/all of them?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 02:46:06 AM »

Indeed, especially since Smash Bros. is redundant on the VC, though for some reason some people here want it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 04:12:43 AM »

Because Nintendo hasn't figured out how to get the FX chip to emulate right on the Virtual Console yet.  This is why the original Star Fox and Stunt Race FX haven't appeared either.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 04:24:39 AM »
This better be true.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 05:09:26 AM »

Because Nintendo hasn't figured out how to get the FX chip to emulate right on the Virtual Console yet.  This is why the original Star Fox and Stunt Race FX haven't appeared either.

I've played Yoshi's Island (and Star Fox and Stunt Race FX) emulated on the Wii and it worked just fine. If a general purpose homebrew emulator can handle the game I don't see why Nintendo would have so much trouble getting it to run.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 05:35:57 AM »
Yay?  Is there any reason we couldn't get Pilotwings 64 rather than the original SNES game?
Yeah the SNES one is pretty shitty, crap like Password save and crap. The N64 one is where it's at.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 06:00:00 AM »
Well I plan on getting all of these games.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 06:05:53 AM »
I'm pretty sure the FX chip issue rumor got debunked but I cannot remember the source.

I am happy the SNES Pilotwings is finally coming. I already own the N64 one and only ever rented the SNES one. Password save won't be an issue with the magic of Save State on Wii :)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 06:36:27 AM »
Yeah the SNES one is pretty ****ty, crap like Password save and crap. The N64 one is where it's at.

VC automatically saves at any spot.  Not sure why password saves matter on VC.  Or are their other reasons for the 64 version?  I really haven't played either. 

Back to topic, I own the SNES Mario Kart, but I am still planning on picking this up.  I know it will look like crap on my TV, but I'm still not sure if that's my favorite Mario Kart game released. 

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 09:26:36 AM »
VC doesn't "save" anything, it basically just freezes where you are. It's like hitting the pause button on your DVD player, you're not actually saving your spot on the disc. The Nintendo 64 version is usually considered the better game, that's his comment (I think).

I don't know if I ever played Super Mario Kart, I don't think I played a MK game until Mario Kart 64.

It's about time, especially for Super Smash Bros. Japan has had it since January and PAL regions have had it since April. I remember when Nintendo used to release N64 in all regions within a 1-week period. I would like to play it again.

Not related to Nintendo per se, but where is Contra? We've gotten 2 of it's sequels (Super C for the NES and Contra III: The Alien Wars for SNES), but not the original.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 09:30:38 AM »
they should release all those games this week.

Just imagine the internet exploding in glee:

Super Mario Kart
Super Smash Brothers
Pilotwings
&
Castlevania Rebirth
Cave Story

I would love to see how the internet explodes after this update. Nintendo can do this.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 09:31:39 AM »
i'm not a fan of the fx 2d style of mario kart. I just think the level design is boring i miss the hills and valleys of the '3d' mario kart games like 64 and so forth.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:33:22 AM by Mr. Adolph Vega »

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 12:53:38 PM »
i'm not a fan of the fx 2d style of mario kart. I just think the level design is boring i miss the hills and valleys of the '3d' mario kart games like 64 and so forth.

Perma-banned.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 01:15:18 PM »
don't tease us like that lindy ;)

while hearing all these big games ar ecoming is good news, i'm actually not excited. I've got original smash on my 64 and doubt that i'll want to download this version; the only plus about it being on the VC is that i wont have ot put up with the horribly worn out sticks on my 64 pads but other than that.. why would i want to play it over melee and brawl?

as for mario kart, i've tried replaying this on the snes before and it just doesnt hold up well. they're an eyessore, and i don't mean that figuratively as if the designs were bad, i mean they really are an eyesore. that mode seven stuff gives me a headache now. I just can't..

pilotwings; i'll be honest here, i've never played it. i rented the sequel once and i didnt see what the big deal was about.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 01:27:45 PM »
I still think the problem with Pilotwings 64 is the real-world buildings in the Little States area-there might be some sort of legal issue there.

SMK probably has the best battle mode of any Mario Kart, but for the most part it's been outclassed by later games in the series.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 01:43:54 PM »
actually thats a great point; SMK's battle mode was beastily... only a 4player match in small arenas in SMK64 could come close to how insanely awesome battle mode was in the original.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 06:43:17 PM »
I could not be more excited for Super Mario Kart... it is the best Mario Kart after all.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 07:22:59 PM »
Mario Kart 64 has the best multi player racing experience, but Super Mario Kart has the best battle mode of them all.  No contest.

Offline Minsc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 11:01:40 PM »
Awesome, my cousin has been waiting for Super Mario Kart.  Especially since he can't find his original copy.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 11:25:05 PM »
Indeed, especially since Smash Bros. is redundant on the VC, though for some reason some people here want it.
People have different tastes. I think SSBBrawl is a terrible game, I much prefer the original Smash Brothers over it. I'm also wondering if the slowdown issues will be fixed on the VC, which they should be in theory but... we'll see.

Unless you've got the nostalgia bug, Super Mario Kart is one of those games that was good for its time but not worth playing today, along the lines of Bases Loaded and Tecmo Bowl.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 11:43:06 PM »
I'm not a huge Smash fan, but I'm curious, whats the general consensus here as to what version is the best?  I remember my roommates in college hating Melee after buying a Cube just to play it and sticking to the N64 version for about a decade.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 11:49:14 PM »
It's difficult to say, actually. The three games are actually quite different in gameplay, features, and style. From what I've seen on the Internet, people seem pretty evenly split between Melee and Brawl. The tournament crowd much prefers Melee, no question there, but the more casual players (such as myself) could go either way. I guess it depends on what you want out of the game. Brawl is more simplified and random, so Melee would be better if you're more competitive. The two games have vastly different art styles as well.

There don't seem to be very many people who prefer the first. Although I prefer Melee, I still like the original Smash Brothers. Because of its smaller character roster, it is the most balanced of the three. I also think it has the best pacing, and the best stages too.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 11:51:57 PM »
Your friends are odd, Melee is leagues better than the original Smash and is generally considered one of the best fighting games for any system. People seem to be divided on whether Melee or Brawl is the best one. I love Brawl, but I was pissed that they made Samus so much weaker since she had been my favorite in the first 2 games (in Melee alone I logged over 400 hours playing as Samus). Both Melee and Brawl are superior to the original and both are great fighting games. The original game does have a unique art style though that I loved.

As for Mop's comment on tournaments, that is probably because Melee has been out for so long. As time goes by, I think it's a safe bet that Brawl will take over.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20