Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592798 times)

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #3125 on: May 19, 2012, 05:49:56 PM »
I just noticed that the Start and Select buttons are also + and - buttons.

Yup. Parity with what the Wii controllers introduced.

The amount of hand space around the screen, especially to the left and right, looks vast when compared to tablet computers. It's a bit jarring until you are remind yourself that you will need that space to grip the controller and manipulate the sticks and buttons.

The page doesn't exist anymore! The Nintendo Ninja's got him! The Nintenjas...

I just clicked on it as well. The person has been silenced!

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3126 on: May 19, 2012, 05:53:49 PM »

Awesome. I'm sure this part of the patent design documentation has already been posted here on NWR, but yup. Notice the curved handled edges? Thank heavens. I'm completely happy with this thing now. :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: May 19, 2012, 05:54:21 PM »
The person that took a photo of the Wii U controller is a douche. Show screenshots or video of whatever game you're developing, and let Nintendo show their own stuff. Trying to steal Ninty's thunder... shame on him.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: May 19, 2012, 06:03:51 PM »
I posted this back in February. It was apparently the original design vs the E3 design.
Not sure if this was posted but here's a link to NeoGaf with illustrations of the original tablet controller design vs the one at E3 last year. I like the original design more.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35468866&postcount=10922
Look familiar? Maybe that wasn't the "original" design but a redesign.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: May 19, 2012, 06:10:51 PM »
I posted this back in February. It was apparently the original design vs the E3 design.
Not sure if this was posted but here's a link to NeoGaf with illustrations of the original tablet controller design vs the one at E3 last year. I like the original design more.

Yeah I do remember that. Good job! Hopefully this guy doesn't just have some old Wii U controller but a new one and that's what made him so excited to post about it and then get fired.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: May 19, 2012, 06:27:47 PM »
The Chozo one vs Killer Catering...

I like the new sticks instead of slide pads and I like the buttons and dpad moving diagonal to the sticks. The layout is better for your thumb axis. The pad does look wider or screen smaller.

I'm guessing a developer asked to have start and select within easy reach for a game, but it does look lopsided. Why not put select under the dpad on the left and start under the buttons?
The bottom is a little cluttered as well.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: May 19, 2012, 06:42:47 PM »
Caterkiller, let me dissect why what you said was wrong:

1) I never complained about Nintendo being "Kiddie". If you can find a post where I complained about that please show me because I honestly don't remember that. I have complained about their casual focus, but that's different than "kiddie". The pure white color scheme of the console and controller indicates a design philosophy where Nintendo wants to appeal to everyone and not offend everyone. When you want to make something that "appeals to everyone" you go with pure white vanilla. That won't offend anyone, but its also bland and boring. That's my beef with this. We just went through a whole generation of that sterile white with the Wii and I think its time to move on.

2) Colors aren't even "kiddie" anyway. Even grownups like colors. If they didn't, every house and every car and all the clothing would just be white. So liking colors has nothing to do with something being kiddie or not.

3) Anyone who has followed my posting on the subject knows I am a big fan of the colorful Gamecube controller and I have praised it many times. I don't know where you get the idea I always complain about everything Nitnendo has ever done, but that's false. I've also praised the things they've done I liked and the Gamecube controller is definitely one thing I like very well. Some people may bash the GC controller as "Kiddie" but I like it better than pretty much every controller in existence. If the Wii U's tablet would try replicate that more closely I would be happy and I promise you I wouldn't complain.

I'm sorry I snapped at you. It's been a long day for me and I'm tired. But please don't lecture me on "what I believe" because you can't possibly know how I think or feel about something better than I do myself, and I am not always negative. As I said, I do love the Gamecube's controller. I also love the Super Famicom controller's colorful buttons which look like M&Ms... I wish we had that here in North America instead of the purple button one we did get...
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: May 19, 2012, 06:54:37 PM »
Chozo, let me tell you what your deal is...

You're one of those pink, round guys with red shoes and no nose. you go around inhaling your enemies and getting turned into yarn. You also like to fight a giant penguin.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: May 19, 2012, 07:16:59 PM »

Good that means that they moved the stylus back to the right hand side too.

Analog Sticks: Check
Clicky Sticks: TBD
Controller Grips: Check
Stylus on right side: Check
Unalign Sticks and Buttons: Check
Analog Triggers: TBD
+ & - moved to somewhere you can use them: Check
Also comes in Black: TBD
Can use 2 uMotes: TBD
Wii games on tablet screen: TBD
TV streamed to uMote: TBD
Can play from bathroom: TBD

E3, so close, yet so far away. I can't wait.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: May 19, 2012, 07:34:16 PM »
Yesss analogue sticks. I'm not sayin I didn't like the circle pads but..the sticks are just better. Now if only they would put the directional notches back in...
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: May 19, 2012, 07:39:42 PM »
I also want to call back to this from the Rumor thread

"Clicky Sticks" on the uMote!?
the thumb sticks are clickable

I interpreted it to mean clicky thumb pads since that's what the controller had, but maybe he was hinting at sticks the entire time (since that is what he said after all).

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: May 19, 2012, 07:50:06 PM »
Wonder what's "that" to the left of the power button?  You have somesort of square plug that looks removeable but in the pic the plug is in.  And on the left of that is an Yellow Led with the words "something-text" so I wonder if that has to do with incoming messages. 

And the controller does seem to have an built in mic. 

The analog sticks look just like the wii's nunchunk one so it's most likely the same?  I don't think they are the "button" press ones like MS or Sony. 

The D-pad looks a bit larger than the WII's and a bit more rounder..great, saves my fingers from blistering.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3137 on: May 19, 2012, 08:05:17 PM »
Wonder what's "that" to the left of the power button?  You have somesort of square plug that looks removeable but in the pic the plug is in.  And on the left of that is an Yellow Led with the words "something-text" so I wonder if that has to do with incoming messages. 
The unlabeled button is probably a sync button. The LED text is just Battery :-p
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: May 19, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »
here is a really large version of the controller pic

http://twitpic.com/9mx9jd/full

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: May 19, 2012, 08:20:58 PM »
here is a really large version of the controller pic

http://twitpic.com/9mx9jd/full

Nintenjas... every where...
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: May 19, 2012, 09:32:11 PM »
Based on the revisions that Nintendo has done to the uMote, I have to wonder what they may have done to the Wii U console itself. Also, what exactly is that square patch below the d-pad? Where is the headphone jack?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: May 19, 2012, 11:01:31 PM »

It looks like Foxconn is expected to see some growth in the 2Q thanks to products like Wii U
https://www.research.hsbc.com/midas/Res/RDV?p=pdf&key=4kuSY2d6um&n=325456.PDF

. We maintain our Overweight (V) rating. Near-term catalysts include MacBook
update and Wii U announcement in 2Q, as well as iPhone 5 launch in 2H

one of the early rumors was that Foxxconn was manufacturing Wii U. Seems that alot of the earliest rumors have been proven true so far. especially those from 01.net

Ugh. More outsourcing to China.

You'd think that Nintendo, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, etc. would be rich large enough to build their own factories and hire their own workers... The auto industry does it, why can't electronics companies?

considering Nintendo is a Japanese company, the anti-outsourcing sentiment doesnt really apply to them
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: May 19, 2012, 11:06:44 PM »
And Samsung is a Korean company that just built a US plant.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3143 on: May 19, 2012, 11:11:37 PM »
Kytim, it can't be. The "Sync" button is located on the lower backside of the controller. Also, I really think that button next to the Battery LED is the "transfer" button (or whatever Nintendo decides to call it) that will allow to you take the image/video on screen and move it to the tablet screen. Makes sense.

Another also, I believe the small, square panel under the D-pad is the Vitality Sensor. It's just gotta be. And finally, according to those design documents, the headphone jack is now located on the backside under the "shelf" portion that houses the L and R analog triggers.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: May 19, 2012, 11:17:13 PM »
Also, I really think that button next to the Battery LED is the "transfer" button (or whatever Nintendo decides to call it) that will allow to you take the image/video on screen and move it to the tablet screen. Makes sense.
Heh. Great minds think alike. ;)

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3145 on: May 19, 2012, 11:22:39 PM »
Also, I really think that button next to the Battery LED is the "transfer" button (or whatever Nintendo decides to call it) that will allow to you take the image/video on screen and move it to the tablet screen. Makes sense.
Heh. Great minds think alike. ;)
Indeedly-oh-so. :) Also (I'm doing way too many "also"s), the Sync button on the backside looks just like the Sync button in the Wii remote -- the little tiny, burnt orange-ish circular button.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: May 19, 2012, 11:23:11 PM »
I was thinking sync as in recalibrate the magnetometer reference or as you said, sync or activate the screen, not the system sync button. The other square couldn't be a vitality sensor as-is (where's the sensor/light source?), unless it's a placeholder. It's not even in the patent diagram at all, so I think it's just a screw cover or a dev reset button that won't be part of the final design. Maybe it's the temporary NFC sensor.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: May 19, 2012, 11:30:51 PM »
...I'm not gonna lie.

I liked the original better. To me, the original Wii U remote was a tablet, this is just a huge-ass controller with a screen in the center. The button layout still annoys me, I don't know who thought it was a good idea to put the analog over the four buttons. But the Circle Pad was just a more committed statement by Nintendo that they knew what they were doing when they put that device on the 3DS- it works well and it saves space, which is exactly what I THOUGHT the Wii U remote was supposed to do- function as a pseudo-tablet that you could store info on and carry to others' houses. This implies the exact opposite, and that's very, very disappointing.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: May 19, 2012, 11:38:55 PM »
I like the Circle Pad on the 3DS, and I think it's a pretty elegant solution for analog control in a clamshell case, but you're crazy if you don't think that traditional sticks are functionally better. The controller may not look great, but neither did the N64's, and aside from the awful quality of the stick that controller worked pretty damn well. That's the important thing: I don't give a **** what it looks like, as long as it feels right and it does what it does well.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3149 on: May 19, 2012, 11:43:02 PM »
I was thinking sync as in recalibrate the magnetometer reference or as you said, sync or activate the screen, not the system sync button. The other square couldn't be a vitality sensor as-is (where's the sensor/light source?), unless it's a placeholder. It's not even in the patent diagram at all, so I think it's just a screw cover or a dev reset button that won't be part of the final design. Maybe it's the temporary NFC sensor.
Why would you need a light source for a Vitality sensor, though? I figured that all was needed was just a super sensitive sensor that could recognize your heartbeat by placing your thumb over it -- for which I have tons of gameplay ideas...

For example, imagine picking up a gun in a Resident Evil game (or a shooter genre-based game, I suppose) that requires you hold steady in place to charge off a super explosive burst of gunfire - the only way to charge it is to do so with your pulse. In turn, this places you in danger because of lifting your thumb off the main analog stick... keeping you stationary while you charge... intense and exciting. But the reward would definitely be worth the effort. Fire off your round and then haul arse outta there! *squee*

And that's just one premise.

Things are about to get very exciting for us Nintendo fans. A little over two weeks away!
Muh Backloggery!