Author Topic: Episode 852: We Like Our Forum Beefs Medium Rare  (Read 628 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 852: We Like Our Forum Beefs Medium Rare
« on: December 11, 2023, 07:11:55 PM »

Please send us more drama.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/65764/episode-852-we-like-our-forum-beefs-medium-rare

This week, Jon is an AI-enhanced Public Announcement speaker.

Also, Jon's back.

Due to some scheduling challenges, as is the season, we recorded an email-only episode. This week: what the hell is an "indie" game, making a Star Fox movie, and Namco's stranglehold on loading screen games. As always, flood our inbox.

LAST CALL FOR RETROACTIVE!

Post your The 7th Guest feelings in the forums or in the NWR Discord.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 852: We Like Our Forum Beefs Medium Rare
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 01:48:18 PM »
HALF MAN, HALF MACHINE, ALL LINDERMANN.

I don't know if this is as widespread knowledge as it should be, but Jeff Gerstmann on The Jeff Gerstmann Show has laid out how the awards of The Game Awards work. The Game Awards is essentially an aggregate critics choice awards across 100 or so worldwide video game press outlets and influencers (including Jeff Gerstmann. The jury fills out a ballot of nominations across the categories. They can nominate up to five, they are encouraged to nominate none if they are not comfortable nominating anything in a category (e.g. the influencer/outlet didn't play enough sports games, esports awards are nominated by a specialized group). The nominees are tallied by the TGA production company. If a category doesn't have enough nominees, that category is dropped. Once the nominations are finalized, a ballot to pick one winner is sent out to that 100+ jury.

The timeframe for all this seems to typically be a few weeks in November. That might explain a recency bias towards Alan Wake II.

So with the "Dave The Diver" being called an indie game... you can chalk that up to a majority of video game critics/journalists/influencers not looking too closely at a video game and just voting on vibes. Not a good look, but I'll forgive it given the shitshow it seems to be a generalist video game critic/etc.