Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. Wonder Announced for Switch  (Read 980 times)

Offline John Rairdin

• Director
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Super Mario Bros. Wonder Announced for Switch
« on: June 21, 2023, 07:03:28 AM »

The newest 2D Mario drops the "New" moniker.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/64056/super-mario-bros-wonder-announced-for-switch

Mario returns to his 2D roots in his first original 2D platformer in over a decade. Super Mario Bros Wonder was announced at today's Nintendo Direct with a release date of October 20, 2023. The trailer showed off several playable characters including Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Toad, and Yoshi. New power ups were also shown such as the titular Wonder Flower which transforms the landscape in strange new ways, and a new animal power up which transform mario into an elephant.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. Wonder Announced for Switch
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 08:42:17 PM »
Daisy.

Daisy!

Daisy!!

DAISY!!!

DAAAAAIIIISSSSSSYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, us Daisy Deviants have finally broken through! Get bent Rosalina! Can't believe Rosalina got included in 3D World but not Daisy! Hopefully this time Rosalina gets the shaft in Daisy's revenge!!

After the end of the NSMB games and then all the stuff done in Super Mario Maker 1 & 2, I had begun to wonder whether there was much future in more 2D Mario games. It just seemed like NSMB didn't have anything more to explore in the 2D Mario space and it was all getting pretty same-y by the end. Then with Mario Maker 1 & 2, it really opened the door of breaking the traditional 2D Mario levels in a lot of ways through fan creations and even some of the Nintendo stages. Was Nintendo going to put out a 2D game now that would seem like it could have been done in Mario Maker or be able to put out levels that could feel fresh and yet not have people say they used an idea they had in a Mario Maker?

Then this was announced and (in Mop it up's words) I gotta say it stands out in a positive way. At first, it seemed like it was still a bit in the NSMB range of usual Mario platforming with a small twist here and there but then the wonder stuff started hitting and it felt like Nintendo had been thinking the same thing I was and want to get a bit more wild with levels and finding new things that can't be done in a Mario Maker game which is great! I do wish it could have been more stylized but we'll probably never go back to the time when Mario's looks and world could change from SMB to SMB3 to SMW and SMW2 to add new wonder and identity to a Mario game. Since NSMB on the DS, they've been keeping the worlds, characters and enemies pretty locked into their current standards / models.

Also curious to see what the talking flowers are about. They seemed like a more active message block like the speaker blocks in SMW at first but then at the end the flower makes a comment about the Goomba looking serene until Elephant Mario knocks it off the screen and ruins its thought. Will the flowers sort of offer commentary about the players actions and act as a sort of narrator of things during the game? Is it just the same flower breaking space and time? It's the kind of thing that could annoy if done poorly so hoping it doesn't end up being a big negative to the experience.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 10:53:56 AM »
While I would have preferred something wholly new, this looks like a good evolution within the New Super Mario Bros series. I love how it feels like they threw in any zany idea they could think up, embracing being a video game and focusing on the fun of it. I think my only real disappointment is that it doesn't have online multiplayer.  :(

Then this was announced and (in Mop it up's words) I gotta say it stands out in a positive way.
Wait, when did I say this?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 10:57:28 AM by Mop it up »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 02:45:13 PM »
Nuts! Meant to type I've but left it at I.  :-[
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.