Author Topic: Metroid Revolution  (Read 5975 times)

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Metroid Revolution
« on: May 21, 2005, 03:01:04 AM »
I started this because of the new poll at forums.nintendo.com about Metroid on the REV.  They have some really pointed answers.  I voted all of the above because all of them rock.  Imagine playing a level with Samus out side of the suit.  I feel these surveys give us a glimpse of what they are thinking about.

Here are some of my ideas for Metroid REV the game and the movie.

I'll start by describing the first new alien.  Their noses are more like a lizards so they have cibernetic noses implanted, sometimes resembling human noses because of their cultural obsession with humanity. Their skin is a pale blue or green and there is only one sex that has no hair and has oblonged breasts. The characters would seem to act eccentricly homosexual and at the same time in love with if not obsessed with their own sexuality and bodies as well as humans (all played by very tall men in the movie). Their leather like suits are composed of trillions of nano bots that are resistant to heat, cold, radiation, the vacum of space, and small arms fire. The nano bots can engulf the alien's entire body for full protection from space, and above their bulbous eyes are a pair of mechanical eye pieces. The pieces would move down to cover the eyes before the metal domes would unfold exposing black tinted glass bubbles allowing the user to use all kinds of visors in the game. For propulsion and melee combat the species would use built in gravity technology throughout the suit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/nemo_83/alien.jpg

That is just one sketch I drew, because I think each new incarnation needs to introduce new alien species and also make allusions to previous species from past games. I think the game could follow the movie, with Samus having to team up with a vile alien she hates in order to survive. Four player cooperative play in the next Metroid would be something new for the puzzles and being able to use different character's visors and weapons that new alien species has developed would be refreshing. Other alien ideas I have are for another humanoid sentient to use a mech type centaur suit, perhaps as an enemy since platforming as a cybernetic centaur would be difficult. I was thinking the alien with his lower parts inside of what would look like a mechanical horse. The creature could also use a lance shaped weapon that fires shots as well as spins like a drill.  Just an idea for a first boss.

I was thinking the movie and game would open like an Indiana Jones movie, in fact the entire film would be more like Indiana Jones than it would be Aliens. The tone would be set by style similar to Kubrick's 2001 movie with sweeping cinematography and operatic score. In space there is no sound, so you use music. Also in space it is dark, why is everything always so lit up in sci fi movies, there should only be light if something is lit by a light on the ship or if the ship is facing a star. Like Indiana Jones we would get to see what the character is like before we see who is under the mask. Spielberg opened Raiders of the Lost Ark with the camera to Jones' back. It is just plain genius directing. In The Last Crusade Spielberg shows a flashback showing Jone's first real competition/enemy before jumping to his adult life where he is still fighting that enemy. If you combine those aspects of the beginnings of those two movies to the Metroid movie we would get a proper introduction to Samus and where she is coming from. Of course like the first boss of any game she would defeat this lifelong enemy she has seeked out since her childhood. The enemy could be the centaur and we could see how that enemy played into her finding the suit. Maybe on her home planet people rode on robotic horses so the centaur thing would fit. The pirates in the game would be like the Nazis in Indiana Jones or the company in Aliens. Another reason I wanted to use the bald alien design of mine was so I could inject religion into the story. Their race of aliens could be extremist authoritarian christians also like the Nazis or Spanish Inquisition and want to clense the galaxy of herectics. Putting mysticism into Metroid makes it more science fantasy like Star Wars than science fiction like Star Trek.

I would imagine Samus's story to be like Joan of Ark. Perhaps she was called to the suit hidden on her world in the wilderness through emopathic signals only she could feel. She could become a vigilante, a mercenary, and bounty hunter. Her missions into alien cities and space stations could be similar to Indiana Jones or another popular Ford movie, Blade Runner. There must be a love interest in the movie for Samus, and it would be cool if that was another woman. I don't know if Samus' motivations in the movie would be love, the bounty she originally accepted which brought her to her present adventure, or some artifact of great religious value to civilizations across the galaxy. The movie could come to a climax with Samus leading armies against the enemies like Joan of Ark. In the end I picture her being betrayed by the bald headed alien or even her own gov't. She would be turned over to his supperiors and he would testify against her before she was publicly stripped and executed through crucification and slow burning. She would become a martr as the full execution is broadcasted across the galaxy.

The movie would have sex and violence, and it would be rated R. I would suggest Naomi Watts or Uma Thurman for the lead roll.

I've tried to think of ideas for coop and came up with some characters that would be unique from Samus. One could have four arms allowing for quadruple (no time to spell check) wielding. Another could feature a rocket pack. I would take away Samus' ability to drop bombs while in ball mode making it so that she can bounce in ball form giving the player more accuracy when wanting to plow through someone or something. I would make it so that the missle launcher would become another beam, and so would the grappling beam. I don't know right now if I can find a picture, but I think she should have two arm canons that work like the new Iron Man's (the comic book). The sides of his arm canons are open allowing him to remove his hands from the canons which then tilt outward. Each arm canon could have a set number of beams, and the beams would be the only weapons we would have to worry about with Samus. You could use the grappling beam to electrocute enemies, energize dead batteries, disable working machines, grab enemies or objects and throw them, and swing over large gaps. She could also use some Chozoa cibernetic wings that unfold from her suit allowing her to take flight and glide. We shouldn't spend the game looking for the same double jumps and spider ball upgrades we have already collected too many times. We should start off with certain things and keep those things throughout the entire game. In other words we should spend our time searching for new upgrades for Samus.  And all characters should be able to pick up any weapon an enemy drops just like in Halo, GTA, and Zelda.

We could start off with combat visor, green night vision, red night vision, heat vision, and echoe vision that would be used by making any sound in the game such as yelling into a dark corridor or an enemy's footsteps. Visors that we could gain through upgrades could include an xray visor that allows you to see around corners and through walls.

Beams could include the missle beam, power beam, grapple beam, a beam whose shots are like plasma or laser shotgun blasts that spread out and cause a lot of damage up close. Other beams could include one that richochets off walls, a beam that fires ice, a beam that fires paralizing sound, a gravity beam, a minigun type beam, and a beam whose artilary is target seaking. Most beams could work with a sniper mode, but all would work with the target button.

And perhaps some more alien designs,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/nemo_83/swampthing2white.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/nemo_83/space.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/nemo_83/ships.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/nemo_83/alienbot.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/nemo_83/threeheads.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/nemo_83/spaceships.jpg

Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid Revolution
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 04:30:50 PM »
since you took the time to write all that I decide to read it, although its lenghty ^_^;

The idea is in general nice, so Im just going to say what I wouldnt like at all:

Sex in the movie is a no no for me, unless its related to the story, but I dont see how scifi relates to sex at all, it would look cheap and out of place, sex scenes can add to the plot, but it takes a genius director and writter to do that, and as I said, the setting doesnt fit with sexual action. I want something in the lines of Alien, a spectacular movie that didnt need any sex scene at all.

Violence is ok, but again, if it fits, I dont want gore for the sake of gore. Ive heard that Woo wants to focus the movie on Samus' origins, and since we know she was the only one who survived her colony after the space pirates attacked, such scene would be ok if it has violence, but if its overused then again it would look cheap and stupid.

I dont want missions with Samus outside her suit, on of her best characteristic is how misterious she is, I dont want to see her face all the time, just a glimpse like in the previous Metroid games. The movie is a different thing, since its focused on her origins.

For me Metroid is about: exploration, claustrophobia, inmersion and most important, a sense of loneliness. I want the movie to capture all that, and I honestly dont know how, but hey Im not the director

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 04:44:14 PM »
1) sci-fi + sex = Matrix Reloaded = SUCK.

2) Samus outside her suit?  NO THNX.  That's right, I give NO THANKS to that idea, not even a little thanks.  How much ass could she kick without her suit?  Not so much.  Samus IS the suit, not the person inside.  You're playing as the suit.  Without it you've got nothing.

3) Those sketches aren't too bad, especially after seeing what you did with SMB (no, you will never be forgiven for that).  Some of them are meh, but there were a couple that would look cool in a Metroid game.  Swamp-thing possibly if it stumbled about on all fours like a gorrilla (and didn't have testicles, srry), Alienbot, which is the best one, and that last ship one (except they'd be used as enemies, because they don't look like ships )
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Revolution
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 05:17:05 PM »
I don't know, I just tend to revolve my stories around sex and love.  Let me put it this way.  Desire plus danger equals drama.  

I want the suit to speak sex to the audience.  I find sex to be safe, while violence is the aspect of the story that does not need to be trivialized.  Tragedy can punch the viewer in the gut harder than seeing the most gratuitous acts of violence.

I feel sex is part of what makes us human.  The first alien I introduced was kind of a sexually homogenous creature with a femanine body but with both reproductive organs.  I was thinking about horse fish and the their spines looked gothic.  I even think these nightmarish creatures should be shown in all their vulnerable glory, in the nude.  It would be more shocking to audiences to see Samus blow her way through a wall to find herself in a bath house full of these freaks, all naked; than to see them turned inside out.  Personally I imagine the scene would be pretty funny.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 05:22:45 PM »
Thanks for the complements on the art.  I just threw in the swamp thing cause I thought it looked cool.

As far as SMB, I still like my ideas of the character's design changing as they took mushrooms and grew.  You know so they look super deformed and such instead of just making Mario and Luigi bigger versions of themselves.  Heck, the entire visual style of the game could change every time you took a different mushroom or combined different mushrooms.  

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 03:39:01 PM »
First, I really don't want John Woo to direct this movie. And I don't want the movie to focus on Samus's origins. These sorts of movies always go for the origin story, and they almost always suck. Samus's early experiences with the chozo should always remain something that we hear about and imagine, but never actually see.

Anyway, I like alot of your ideas, nemo, although I think you're going a little too dark.

Sex. It IS part of what makes us human, but it also doen't need to be play a part in every thing. Samus is a loner. You could maybe hint at some of her sexual longings, but I wouldn't have her actually having sex. Actually, I don't think I'd focus on sexuality very much at all...but maybe that's just me.

I like your creature designs/ideas (I wish I could draw half as well as you can)...although, again, maybe a little too mature for this franchise.

I like that you brought up 2001 (one of my favorite movies). I'm not sure if this is what you meant by it, but personally, I'd love it if the movie had as little diaglogue as 2001, and, in general, captured that same sense of lonlieness. Though I don't think there's many directors that would trust a movie to work with 30-40 minute sections with no dialogue.

I like your ideas regarding plot....I do agree that it should have an indiana-jones like opening where we're immediatley caught up in the action, only learning about the charachter and the plot later. But, I think some of your ideas are a little too, um, plot-centric for the series. Samus with a personal vendetta? Samus with a love interest? Samus leading armies? Samus dying?

Here's what I'd do:

I'd focus more on the bounty hunter, doing-things-for-the-money aspect of samus. I'd start with samus chasing/catching a bounty head that has nothing to do with the plot. Then I'd have samus get a government assignment to help out with some problem...her only stake in it being a hefty payout.

I'd portray samus as a no-nonsense loner who doesn't really have firends or family. She'd go into seedy cities at various points, go into bars, get assignments from a government office, talk and deal with people, but never would samus form or join a team.

I'd have a single other human charachter, possibly a child, who samus gets stuck with at some point. This charachter would help samus get out of her shell, and samus would share her backstory with this charachter.

I'd have most of the action take place with samus battling alone. The movie's dialogue would be sparse, and there would be more suspense than there would be direct action. There would be an emphasis on the environments, and samus would explore and deal with them similiarly to how she does in the games.

And I wouldn't have a typical hollywood bad guy. Instead, like the games, I'd have a group of aliens who have their own motivations which are understanble but definatley wrong.

I'd shoot for a pg-13 rating, and have salma hayek star (i'm not sure why...but I think she'd be perfect).
edit: I think Naiomi Watts, Uma Thurman are good picks as well. I'm really hoping they don't go with a typical Hollywood-babe-who-can't-really-act, like Sarah Michelle Gellar or Angelina Jolie.

“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 03:47:37 PM »
everyone oknows the real reason why samus wears that suit...its so she doesnt spread her space herpes to others
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 03:50:27 PM »
"Protect yourself."

"Play it safe."

"Help stop the spread."

"Knowing is half the battle."
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 05:46:20 PM »
I dont think Samus is nothing without her suit, or maybe I just dont want to, and we know she was infuzed with chozo blood so she's not an average woman.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 06:00:58 PM »
"I was lucky enough to catch a Retro Studios employee at breakfast this morning and asked him a few questions, notably, "I take it the ship firing its ordnance in the preview is a sign of things to come?" He just smiled at me and said, "Metroid Prime 3 is going to surprise you to such a degree that you'll be exhausted by the time you're finished with it.""
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 06:40:43 PM »
So what! I'm exhausted when I finish lots of stuff.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 08:02:11 PM »

Like that first flight of stairs.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2005, 08:05:56 PM »
I have movies with love
so many good action movies have been ruined by sex scene's or them doing something stupid at the end for her

Offline obscureownership

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 07:23:31 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
since you took the time to write all that I decide to read it, although its lenghty ^_^;

The idea is in general nice, so Im just going to say what I wouldnt like at all:

Sex in the movie is a no no for me, unless its related to the story, but I dont see how scifi relates to sex at all, it would look cheap and out of place, sex scenes can add to the plot, but it takes a genius director and writter to do that, and as I said, the setting doesnt fit with sexual action. I want something in the lines of Alien, a spectacular movie that didnt need any sex scene at all.

I would have to disagree here, because the movie Alien has plenty of sexual related things in it. In fact, many times the writers of this movie have said they take advantage of our human fears of certain aspects of sexuality.  
"we all no the revolutions gonna be worse than 360 and ps3 but hey its cheaper and i dont even think im gonna get any of them because i dont waste 400 bucks on sum crap that destroys your brain and cuts away from you guitar playing time!!!!!!!!!"

-A Review of the Wii by Cheese from Amazon dot

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 07:37:45 AM »

Originally posted by: Koopa Troopa

Like that first flight of stairs.

i would of made a masturbation joke, but i see you took the high road
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 07:42:43 AM »
Hints of sex and sexuality > overt sex.

And we can keep a PG-13 rating this way too.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2006, 08:12:12 AM »
Battlestar Galactica does a great job with sex.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 08:24:32 AM »

Originally posted by: obscureownership

Originally posted by: mantidor

I would have to disagree here, because the movie Alien has plenty of sexual related things in it. In fact, many times the writers of this movie have said they take advantage of our human fears of certain aspects of sexuality.

omg this is old!

as Kairon said, sexual undertones are preferable than a simply explicit sexual scene. Now that I got to know more about Giger's artwork (the designer of the alien creature as well as most of the scenarios) I could notice the heavy sexual undertones of Alien that by the time I made that post I was unaware of, but they are kept as just that, undertones and hints, which actually makes it more interesting and compelling, being explicit would just ruin it.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 08:39:18 AM »
i too was confused when i saw this thread, blast from the past.  might as well post some doodles.

i screwed samus up and she is too wide so link

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 08:42:11 AM »
You scare me Nemo! Hmm...lreminds me of the concept art for Star Wars: A New Hope...

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64