Sales plummet as Obon comes to an end.
Last week saw many games with large sales increases due to the mid-summer Obon holiday, but this week was quite the opposite. All of the games in this week’s top 20 had decreased sales, whether by a few hundred units or a couple of thousand.
After ruling the roost last week due to an enormous spike in sales, Wii Party slips one spot to number two for the week. Nintendo’s new hit ended the week with sales just short of 69,000, bringing its lifetime-to-date total up to just over 805,000.
Ahead of Wii Party is Another Century’s Episode R from Bandai Namco. The game starts its run with sales of 219,000. The series has had pretty weak legs in its previous entries, so expect it to see a large drop next week.
Another new PS3 game can be found at spot three. Super Dimensional Game Neptune starts with sales just over 22,500. Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! Spark/Bomber slips one spot to number four this week. It ends the week with sales of just under 18,000. Its lifetime-to-date number sits just below the 800,000 mark.
Sengoku Basara 3 for the PS3 tumbles three spots to number five this week, whereas Tales of Phantasia continues its descent down the charts as it drops from four to six. Both games ended the week in the 17,000 range.
Super Mario Galaxy saw a 34 percent drop in sales this week, bringing its weekly total to 13,800. The game is showing much stronger legs than its predecessor, which also experienced a holiday bump back in 2007. The game should cross the 800,000 mark in around two weeks' time, and assuming it continues, it could hit the one million mark by the end of year.
Another game showing strong legs is Nintendo’s Art Academy. The game sold just over 13,000 units for the week, bringing its lifetime-to-date total to just short of 140,000. Project Diva 2 from Sega follows closely behind Art Academy, as it slips four positions to number nine. Rounding out the top ten is Nintendo’s Friend Collection with sales of just over 10,400.
On the hardware side of things, the Nintendo DS family of systems sold approximately 45,000 units this week, while the Wii saw a large drop to 18,100. The PS3 finished the week far ahead of the Wii, selling close to 30,000 systems.
Media Create August 16-22
(Chart position / previous position [Platform] Title (Publisher) – Sales this week / Sales to date)
01. / 00. [PS3] Another Century's Episode R (Bandai Namco) - 219.849 / NEW
02. / 01. [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo) - 68.853 / 805.060 (-45%)
03. / 00. [PS3] Super Dimensional Game Neptune (Compile Heart) - 22.574 / NEW
04. / 03. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! Spark / Bomber (Level 5) - 17.986 / 797.828 (-36%)
05. / 02. [PS3] Sengoku Basara 3 (Capcom) - 17.574 / 352.618 (-50%)
06. / 04. [PSP] Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X (Bandai Namco) - 16.326 / 152.504 (-41%)
07. / 06. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo) - 13.856 / 783.626 (-34%)
08. / 07. [NDS] Art Academy (Nintendo) - 13.142 / 138.458 (-22%)
09. / 05. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva 2 (Sega) - 12.973 / 314.322 (-46%)
10. / 08. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 10.443 / 3.389.706 (-31%)
11. / 10. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS: Dororon! Battle With the Ghouls!! (Bandai Namco) - 9.729 / 186.070 (-32%)
12. / 09. [WII] Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road Victory (Square Enix) - 9.648 / 230.091 (-35%)
13. / 13. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2010 (Konami) - 9.046 / 138.058 (-33%)
14. / 11. [NDS] Tetris Party Deluxe (Hudson) - 8.268 / 36.117 (-40%)
15. / 21. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 7.736 / 2.037.993
16. / 19. [NDS] Harvest Moon: Twin Villages (Marvelous Entertainment) - 7.643 / 136.852 (-26%)
17. / 16. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 7.635 / 2.908.669 (-31%)
18. / 14. [NDS] Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - Hero of Light and Shadow (Nintendo) - 6.838 / 232.568 (-46%)
19. / 20. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 6.498 / 3.971.357 (-35%)
20. / 18. [NDS] Heart Catch PreCure! Oshare Collection (Bandai Namco) - 6.171 / 33.660 (-41%)