Author Topic: Let's Talk Controller  (Read 31954 times)

Offline MODE_RED

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Let's Talk Controller
« Reply #200 on: April 22, 2005, 01:06:32 PM »
I see the touch screen being incorportated into a right-handed controller thumb area that also incorporates an analog stick. We are all use to our right hands controlling the majority of in-game actions so this makes the most sense.

The left side or left hand controller would be a more traditional layout with the addition of gyroscopes. Both controllers would contain gyroscopes, but the left-handed controller would be the primary means of controlling movement, while using the right-handed controller or both controllers together for movement would be secondary.

I see both left and right handed controllers containing sensors that track where the controllers are in relation to each other, to the Revolution, and to the controllers of other players. This allows players to perform complex actions with their arms including dance moves and player to player interaction.

Shaking, tilting, raising, lowering, swinging, extending your arms and such would be primary methods of interaction in Nintendo's titles.
Developers, we should want gamers 2 fall in love with THEIR gaming experiences, not OUR feature lists. Let's not forget we're gamers too. But don't get stuck in your own dreams. What'd be special about dreams if we're all forced 2 dream the same thing? MODE RED

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
RE: Let's Talk Controller
« Reply #201 on: April 22, 2005, 03:24:31 PM »
SAmba di amigo!

actually, Miyamoto did express how much fun he and his family had playing this game.... SAmba is teh REV!!!1
I'll shut up now...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #202 on: April 22, 2005, 03:37:05 PM »
Wouldn't you have to reset it everytime you play?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Robotor

• The Robot Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 23, 2005, 03:39:46 PM »
Controller by Robotor

Alright this is what I want.  Generic button layout, and it can have however many triggers you want back there I don't care.

One side is stable, one side has the gyration technology.  The cord connecting them discourages full arm swings, which is something I am agianst.  I think using one analoge stick and a gryation handle would work very well in a lot of genres.  In an action game a quick flick of the wrist could swing the sword and consecutive flicks set up combos.  In an FPS you move with the analoge stick and aim with the gyration "handle" for lack of better word.  The handle could be used for sweeps in a fighting game, and hadukens would become that much more satisfying.  Tennis games could use the handle for swings, as well as golf games.  

The base opens up even more possibiltys, as a rod could be lifted out of it and the controller attached to it like a steering wheel for racing games.  Or the controller could be attached in the same manner as a flight stick for flight sims.  

This gyration thing could work really well, the more I think about it the more I like it.
It may be simple, but it ain't easy.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 24, 2005, 04:30:54 PM »
TVman: that's what i often wonder. Maybe someone with Krby tilt and tumble might know: is there any sort of necessary calibration required with teh in-game gyroscopes? It seems to me like you'd have to have your controller completely level when the system boots up..

maybe you'd just have to keep the controller still while booting up
I'll shut up now...

Offline Robotor

• The Robot Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 25, 2005, 11:44:00 AM »
Yeah, in Kirby's Tilt and tumble you were required to calibrate the game each time.
It may be simple, but it ain't easy.

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 25, 2005, 03:20:28 PM »
Calibration would be necessary for gyroscopes. But the controller wouldn't have to be level, exactly; you'd just have to hold it the way you intend to for the majority of the game.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2005, 08:20:33 AM »
well I think the tech would be like the wireless handheld mice for pcs.  That's the tech NItnendo licensed years ago.  I don't think that stuff is true gyroscopes.  And also like an analog stick you could program it so isn't so touchy.  ie change the size of the dead space where movement of the controller wouldn't' effect movement on the screen.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2005, 08:58:56 PM »
Hmm... I was thinking about this the other day. Say for a minute that both the "wireless" and "gyroscope" theories are for real. Wireless means there'll need to be power, and gyroscopes mean the controllers are meant to be moved around quite a bit...

There're watches that use the kinetic energy generated from walking/moving around to power them. Could this be used as at least a supplementary form of power for the controller, to help extend battery life maybe?

Granted, I don't know a lot (ok, anything at all, really) about how these watches work. And I'm pretty sure there'd need to be a "main" power source (batteries of some kind)... but hey, we're talking about revolutionary controllers here, right?
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 30, 2005, 02:27:06 PM »
I don't think kinetic energy would be enough. A watch uses very little power. With the controller, you would have to have enough for a good signal, which is a significant drain by itself. The gyroscope would use up energy too, and of course rumble would be a major drain.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #210 on: May 01, 2005, 11:26:28 AM »
But then that brings up the whole rechargeable battery thing again.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 06, 2005, 10:30:45 AM »
I saw this on another Nintendo forum.  Check this out.

Future Controller?

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 06, 2005, 01:45:12 PM »
I think there are better ways to put a trackball on a controller, but I would rather have a sloppy design rather than have no trackball option at all.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 06, 2005, 01:56:47 PM »
Well it looks like crap.  I ain't gonna deny that. :0

but the fact someone is working on it is interesting.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 06, 2005, 09:08:38 PM »
I like the way a track ball feels.  It could be switched between analog stick type control and mouse control simply by clicking it.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 07, 2005, 06:38:35 AM »
This guy has a website rant on making a better controller for  fps and rts games and other types of games.

It's time for a new controller  

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 07, 2005, 09:27:58 PM »
The people on that trackball website want consoles to play computer games. That's all it is.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2005, 04:30:09 AM »
Trackball is the worst idea ever................................................

A touchscreen would be so much better than any controller with a trackball. I mean really?! How popular are trackball mice? There not...

People want smoothness, not roundness.....
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 08, 2005, 07:08:50 AM »
Trackball would work alot better than an analog stick for fps and rts games.   And that's the pt of the article.  A trackball by it's very nature is more precise than a stick.  

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 14, 2005, 03:12:59 PM »
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/nemo_83/ne5.jpg

try that link, the last one didn't work

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2005, 12:01:23 AM »
Hey look at that....Perrin said the controllers are wireless...

Score one for Don'tHate's design...
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 15, 2005, 11:21:02 PM »
i had to change that last link i posted.  what do yall think?