Author Topic: New North American (NPD) Sales Thread  (Read 103997 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: Official GCN Sales Thread
« Reply #600 on: November 11, 2005, 02:50:22 AM »
There is no minimum sales requirement to qualify as Player's Choice (back in the N64 days it was 1 million units).

However, Nintendo should definitely NOT make RE4 Player's Choice until after Christmas.  They don't want to piss off Capcom.  Even through Capcom kind of screwed Nintendo over with the PS2 port, if Nintendo tries to "get even" they risk damaging their already rocky relationship with Capcom.  They last thing Nintendo wants (or should want) is to piss off a major third party.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 11, 2005, 03:05:09 AM »
You're right, it is quite sad how Capcom slapped Nintendo around, I wish they were market leader again.

In more positive news, Mario Party 7 has debuted in the Japanese Daily Sales charts at number one.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 11, 2005, 04:42:46 AM »
I think Capcom would have to agree to that for Nintendo to make RE4 Player's Choice, anyway.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE:Official GCN Sales Thread
« Reply #603 on: November 11, 2005, 08:31:23 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario
In more positive news, Mario Party 7 has debuted in the Japanese Daily Sales charts at number one.

Japanese Daily Sales - Thursday Nov 10th 05

1 NGC Mario Party 7 (Nintendo) Nov 10th 05 (NEW)
2 PS2 Shinobido Imashime (Spike) Nov 10th 05 (NEW)
3 PS2 NBA Live 06 (Electronic Arts) Nov 10th 05 (NEW)
4 NDS Daredemo Asobi Taisen (Nintendo) Nov 3rd 05
5 PS2 Sakigake ! ! Otokojuku (D3) Nov 10th 05 (NEW)
6 PS2 Daito Giken Koushiki Pachi-Slot Simulator Banchou (Daito) Nov 2nd 05
7 NDS Otona no DS Golf (Nintendo) Nov 10th 05 (NEW)
8 PS2 Simple 2000 Series Vol. 88: The Mini Bijo Keikan (D3) Nov 10th 05 (NEW)
9 PS2 The Getaway: Black Monday (Sega) Nov 10th 05 (NEW)
10 PSP Brain Power Trainer Portable (Sega) Oct 20th 05
11 NDS Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training (Nintendo) May 19th 05
12 NDS Yawaraka Atamajuku (Nintendo) June 30th 05
13 PSP Fukufuku no Shima (SCE) Nov 10th 05 (NEW)
14 PS2 Fuuuraiki 2 (Fog) Nov 10th 05
15 NGC Harvest Moon: Poem of Happiness for World (M(NEW)arvelous Ent.) Nov 10th 05 (NEW)
16 NDS Pokémon Torouze (Nintendo) Oct 20th 05
17 PSP La Corda d'Oro (Koei) Nov 10th 05 (NEW)
18 NDS Tamagotchi (Bandai) Sept 15th 05
19 GBA Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brothers (Nintendo) Sept 13th 05
20 PS2 Wander and the Colossus (SCE) Oct 27th 05

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 11, 2005, 01:48:41 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu
There is no minimum sales requirement to qualify as Player's Choice (back in the N64 days it was 1 million units).

However, Nintendo should definitely NOT make RE4 Player's Choice until after Christmas.  They don't want to piss off Capcom.

Actually, that's not how it works. Nintendo can't tell a publisher how much they can charge for a game. That's called "price fixing", and it's illegal (and Nintendo learned that the hard way).

Nintendo simply charges a royalty fee, which is about $10 in this generation, and the publisher needs about $5 to get eaten up by all the middlemen (shipping, retail, that kind of thing), and then beyond that everything is entirely up to the publisher. They can set the MSRP at $20 and only make $5 per-game, or they can charge $100 and earn $85. It's all up to the publisher. Even if they usually just charge $50.

In the N64 days, Nintendo said that if you sold 1 million units, you could get a break on the royalties, but considering that the royalties were something like $35 (because of carts) it wasn't very popular, because you'd have to invest something like $35 million just to get a royalty rate that was still an absurd joke compared to what you could pay on the PlayStation.

For the newer systems, the royalty is like $10, and if you agree to sell your game for less than $50, and you meet some stupid stupid "shipment" quota (it's supposedly something pathetic like 50,000 units, at which point it almost doesn't exist), then you can get a $2-5 break on the royalty, and Nintendo will slap a "Best Seller" or "Player's Choice" tag on your game. I think that Nintendo still can't make a publisher sell the game for less than $50 at that point, but the ugly logos on the box will prevent anyone from paying full price for the game, should the publisher decide to lie to Nintendo.

Nintendo actually has two levels of "discount" games. The first has a "Best Seller" logo on it, and you're supposed to charge $40 or less for those, and the other has those yellow bars on it, and you're supposed to charge $30 or less for those ones.

Basically, if a publisher wants their game to go Player's Choice, it can.

As long as Capcom still thinks they can still sell some copies of RE4 on the PS2 at full price, they aren't gonna make up any cheaper GameCube versions and undermine the sales of the PS2 version. They'll most likely drop the price of the PS2 version before the GameCube one, just to try and keep the "excitement level" up.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #605 on: November 11, 2005, 01:59:30 PM »
Mario Power Tennis was a best seller when I bought it.  BAM $50 AMAZING LOW PRICE.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 11, 2005, 02:26:27 PM »

I think that Nintendo still can't make a publisher sell the game for less than $50 at that point, but the ugly logos on the box will prevent anyone from paying full price for the game (unless it's Pro666, and he needs his latest Daisy fix)...

Fixed.
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 11, 2005, 10:17:50 PM »
Actually, that's not how it works. Nintendo can't tell a publisher how much they can charge for a game. That's called "price fixing", and it's illegal (and Nintendo learned that the hard way).

Actually they can. The publisher is a licensee and as such bound by a contract that could require certain prices (though I doubt Nintendo's contracts enforce a price). What Nintendo did in Europe was trying to force retailers to do that and prevent EU-internal importing to cause price differences between EU member states. That IS illegal, you cannot set up EU-internal trade restrictions.

Nintendo CAN get you for demanding full price for a "Player's Choice" title, however. If you agree to something in a contract (and it doesn't violate any laws) you are legally bound by it. Setting a price the goods may sell for in a licensing deal is completely normal and legal. Since Nintendo can and will argue that you got an advantage by falsely declaring you'd sell it at a lower price they are eligible for damages, add any statutory fees you feel like.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 12, 2005, 01:34:21 PM »
Other random GC sales for October

GCN ANIMAL CROSSING $309,573 16330
GCN FIRE EMBLEM: PATH OF RADIAN $2,417,799 50164
GCN GEIST $87,428 1866
GCN LUIGI'S MANSION $243,976 13338
GCN MARIO GOLF: TOADSTOOL $216,550 11941
GCN MARIO POWER TENNIS $241,460 5224
GCN MARIO SUPERSTAR BASEBALL $2,776,914 59758
GCN SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE $457,954 24466
GCN SUPER SMASH BRO MELEE $601,021 20624
GCN ZELDA: THE WIND WAKER $266,164 14031

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 12, 2005, 01:42:06 PM »
geist lol
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 12, 2005, 03:29:06 PM »
Fire Emblem did pretty solid, but I worried that its sales will completely drop off because it is lesser known.  Nintendo should make a commercial that mentions Fire Emblem's (obvious) connection to Super Smash Bros.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 12, 2005, 08:32:19 PM »
You mean trying to appeal to the SSBM demographic who for all we know could absolutely hate turn based or tactical games?

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 12, 2005, 10:02:48 PM »
SSBM demographic? You smart @ss, what demographic would that be?   People who like fun?
My ad would be trying to the attention of the best selling cube game's purchasers.  I said it a few post back in a pretty cynical way, but Nintendo games tend not to move unless there is a mascot involved.  "Mascots" are involved in Fire Emblem.  I look forward to seeing Ike in SSB:R.  So, if that is the only thing stopping Fire Emblem from selling, inform the masses that it is a franchise and that they've played with some of its characters already.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 12, 2005, 10:30:32 PM »
SSBM is an action game that is perceived as mindless and great for parties. How many of those characteristics does Fire Emblem share?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #614 on: November 13, 2005, 01:09:46 AM »

Originally posted by: ruby_onix

I think that Nintendo still can't make a publisher sell the game for less than $50 at that point, but the ugly logos on the box will prevent anyone from paying full price for the game (unless it's Pro666, and he needs his latest Daisy fix)...

Fixed.

What the heck are you talking about?

~~~~~

Mario Power Tennis is a $50 game, still.  I don't see <=$40 price tags coinciding with its "Best Seller" label in any major retail chains.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: November 13, 2005, 04:09:16 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
SSBM is an action game that is perceived as mindless and great for parties. How many of those characteristics does Fire Emblem share?

Those that perceive it as such are mistaken... My point was the "demographic" that likes smash brother can almost be equated to those who own gamecubes.  I thought you were being facetious in suggesting that SSB:M even has a demographic.  KDR, are you suggesting that people who own SSB:M only have games that are 'mindless' and great for parties?  Because I don't think Metroid Prime or Marios Sunshine or Zelda are any of those things.  But I bet 9 times out of ten people who own any of these formerly mentioned games also own SSBM.  Nintendo made a quality game and the ad is designed to have their consumers to keep an open mind.  That is all an ad can do, well here in North America, I don't know about Germany .  They wouldn't be appealing to anyone like they are for nongames since the game is already made...
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 13, 2005, 04:39:48 AM »
I'm saying that both games are on the opposite ends of the spectrum and any ads in one of them would most likely make the user believe the other game is of a similar genre.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 13, 2005, 10:02:51 AM »
But atleast then people would recognize the characters and then maybe considering picking up FE.

I think any association with SSBM would only be a plus for FE and could actually help pick up more sales for both titles.  

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 14, 2005, 02:21:13 AM »

Mario Power Tennis is a $50 game, still. I don't see <=$40 price tags coinciding with its "Best Seller" label in any major retail chains.

Hmmm... yeah, you're right. I just checked Paper Mario at ebgames.com, and it's $50 too.

I had heard that that games with the "Best Seller" logo were like "midway points" between the full priced games and the Player's Choice ones. Maybe the ones with the Best Seller logo have reduced royalties, but just don't pass it on to the consumer? Seems odd.

Also, I was just recently wondering why Nintendo even bothers to make Player's Choice versions at all (for their own Nintendo-published games), considering that they pay themselves the royalty. I mean really, what's the point in them negotiating themselves a better royalty rate with themselves?
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 14, 2005, 03:48:28 AM »
The point of that is so the games will officially be dropped to 20 and stores keep carrying them. Usually a game dropping that low means it's about to go out of print, a Player's Choice game still gets stocked years later.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 14, 2005, 08:35:47 AM »

I had heard that that games with the "Best Seller" logo were like "midway points" between the full priced games and the Player's Choice ones. Maybe the ones with the Best Seller logo have reduced royalties, but just don't pass it on to the consumer? Seems odd.
My copy of Paper Mario had a "Best Seller" logo on it.  I bought it the day it came out.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 14, 2005, 09:18:50 AM »
Yeah, I'm under the impression that slapping things like "Best Seller" on the covers of games is a new tactic by Nintendo's marketing deparment.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 15, 2005, 11:34:12 AM »
Yeah, they did that with Mario Power Tennis too...It's obviously just a cheap tactic, but their justification probably has something to do with how the previous iteration in the series did.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 12, 2005, 12:03:28 PM »
Interesting.

I wish I could say the 360 was a bomb but I really didn't expect it to be at the top with the limited systems.  And it was only out for nine days of the month.  All things considered 360 numbers are actually impressive.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 12, 2005, 12:51:31 PM »
Hate to sound like a fanboy and I am but even the dreamcast launch was succesful. And jesus the GBA sells like mad, as much as people mock the third pillar thing its actually working.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro