Author Topic: What is your favorite game this year?  (Read 557 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline jarodea

  • A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
What is your favorite game this year?
« on: September 29, 2026, 04:58:21 PM »
What is the best new Switch 2 game you bought this year? I see there is a lot of negativity here so I figured we should talk about what we like.  For me it is Pokopia, which I suspected.  Dragon Quest Builders 2 is my favorite Switch game.  I've always wanted an Animal Crossing with something to make, not just laying down wallpaper, and a Minecraft with a story or reason to progress.  Oh buddy, Pokopia, like DQB2, provides it in spades.  Other than finally figuring out how to play Steel Panthers 3 on my computer, it is the game I most played this year.

Online broodwars

  • Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1010
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite game this year?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2026, 05:45:53 PM »
You might want to update your topic name there. I did not play my likely favorite game of the year on the Switch 2.

As for actual Switch 2 2026 games, I guess my favorite would be Splatoon Raiders but I still found that game pretty lacking. Runners-up would be Yoshi & the Mysterious Book and the Star Fox reboot.

I expect if I played my copy of Fortune's Weave, it would probably take the top Switch 2 spot, but I'm very behind on my Fire Emblem games. I gave up on 3 Houses out of sheer boredom for its tedious gameplay loop, and Engage isn't exactly grabbing me so far (it doesn't help that it has some major audio problems on Switch 2).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline jarodea

  • A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite game this year?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2026, 07:38:21 PM »
Kind of explaining my topic title there. Fire Emblem was never going to be one of my top games but if it is for someone that's cool.  I've always been an Advance Wars guy.

Offline Khushrenada

  • is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 40
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite game this year?
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 06:10:55 AM »
Hmmm. Not sure. It's been an odd year for me. Most of the games I played were just last month during the Backlaugust event. Played some stuff in there I liked such as WarioWare: Move It!, Super Monkey Ball 3D, ElecHead, A Short Hike and TOEM. Early in January, I wrapped up playing Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy along with Super Mario Bros. Wonder. I did enjoy both of those games. Also have revisited some past games. Played Metroid Prime: Remastered along with Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (finally beat that game on Hypermode also). Just got a Switch 2 last month and have let myself get sucked back into F-Zero GX and Super Mario Sunshine. I'll always have a soft spot for Sunshine. Really enjoying this replay of it. Finally tore myself away from it to get back to Donkey Kong Bananza. I'd played through the opening level at the end of August and have finally gotten back into yesterday playing through the second level and nearly finding everything in it (just 5 fossils and 1 banana undiscovered) and then moved onto the next level. Maybe it will become my favorite game of the year by the time I'm done. Also want to get some time in with Mario Kart World as well but I'm going to be moving in October so that will pause my gaming time for awhile.

I do also have Pokopia and Star Fox for Switch 2 as well but my plan is to play DK and Kart first before getting to them but maybe one of those could be the best Switch 2 I got this year. I'd like to put a bow on Xenoblade Chronicles X: Definitive Edition by beating a few remaining tyrants and side missions and move on to another Xenolade game. This time XC2 which would be my first time playing it along with the Switch 2 enhancements. Yet, I also find myself wanting to tackle a Zelda game. The OoT remake has made me itching to crack out my 3DS version and play that as I'd really like to do it with that 3D effect. It would also be the second time I've played any version of OoT. Yet, there's also Echoes of Wisdom that I've really wanted to play as well and Tears of the Kingdom is still sitting on my shelf waiting for me to dive into that. The Nintendo Today app keeps posting things about Breath of the Wild and it's got me wanting to revisit that world but in its sequel form. (And there's Wind Waker on the GameCube app which will be tempting me like Sunshine did.)

Jarodea mentioned seeing a lot of negativity here. To me, negativity seems much more muted these days compared to a decade ago in the Wii U years or even back in the Wii times. The recent talk about storage space for the Switch 2 has perhaps had some of the most "negative" vibes but it can't be helped with a real issue in the gaming industry which has lost its ability to compress files. Nintendo is once again winning in this battle as well. They still know how to deliver their games in an acceptable file size but that can only do much against 3rd parties which seem to have given up in caring about that. It's also brought up some of the restlessness people have felt with the Switch 2's growing library but that ties into what people like. Some people like certain titles and franchises and if they aren't seeing entries and software for those likes then it's going to be harder for some to be positive about their current feelings on the Switch 2 library. Back at the end of 2017, I made a topic asking if that might be Nintendo's best year ever when it comes to software releases. Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey in the same year during the Switch's first year was big but there was also a lot of other big games released such as Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and even Mario Kart 8 DX which had a little bit extra compared to its original Wii U release but would also go on to add so much more as it continued to dominate sales over the Switch's lifespan. Even some smaller gems like ARMS and the under-rated SnipperClips were there. (And there was also what was released on 3DS during that year when talking about what all Nintendo released but I'm just focusing on Switch 1 for this point.) When you consider that first year Switch 1 had, I guess I'm a bit more understanding when people have talked about feeling the Switch 2 hasn't really wowed them yet with the games it has released. Switch 1 set such a high bar for a console's early software.

But it does seem like there is some enthusiasm and positivity returning with the recent Nintendo Direct and Nintendo may be  having us witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station. Starting this month, Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave is a pretty epic game and delivering for those who felt Three Houses was a high point of the series. (Although if you aren't an FE fan then I'm not sure this will do much to change one's mind). Switch Sports Resort next month may seem like a more minor software title but the Wii/Switch sports games still sell and are enjoyed by many still even if the series doesn't have the impact on culture it did when it first appeared on the Wii. OoT remake is looking like it will be a big hit. The Duskbloods is supposedly soon to release although even if it is December, the return of Professor Layton is the big deal for me. Metroid is getting a new entry. Kirby's getting an epic new entry. Xenoblade is getting a new entry. Pokemon is coming and there may be other big surprises in 2017. The Square software of Kingdom Hearts 4 and Final Fantasy 7 part 3 will be big for a lot of gamers although obviously not exclusive to the Switch 2 library. I'm getting excited about what's to come but I'm also feeling the pressure to start playing some Switch 2 stuff now to try and keep up with all this software that I want to play.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline M.K.Ultra

  • is late to the party
  • *
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Re: What is your favorite game this year?
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 05:05:38 PM »
For Switch 2 I bought Yoshi and the Mysterious Book, Star Fox, Splatoon Raiders, Orbitals, Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave, and the Xenoblade Chronicles. I still haven't played Xenoblade or Orbitals and I'm too early into Fire Emblem, so I cannot fairly consider those. Of the other three I would say Splatoon Raiders is my favorite, but Star Fox is a close second. Both got set aside pretty quickly because of Backlaugust but I have plans to return to both. I think that Star Fox update just dropped so I really should get back into that multiplayer and get those achievements while the community is still there.