Author Topic: What is a "sleeper hit"?  (Read 3633 times)

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
What is a "sleeper hit"?
« on: November 19, 2003, 02:34:32 PM »
What's a "sleeper hit"?

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:What is a "sleeper hit"?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 02:56:26 PM »
Kind of like a cult hit- something that doesn't do too well sales wise, but it is very critically acclaimed and has some very fanatical followers. Eternal Darkness is a very good example, as is Shenmue or Jet Set Radio.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
RE: What is a "sleeper hit"?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 03:00:57 PM »
Thanks, I've been wondering that for a while.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 03:54:15 PM »
Or Mischief Makers!  Or Lickle!
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 04:05:36 PM »
Or Rayman 2, I really liked that game. Didn't anyone else? I though the the atmosphere it created was amazing. I'm really looking foward to Beyond good and evil now.
Om mani padme hum.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 04:09:16 PM »
Shadowrun...bring me .....Shadowrun
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 04:24:09 PM »
I've never played Rayman, but something makes me hate it.  Not to say it's bad, I just instinctively dislike it.

Shadowrun?  Vhat's dat?
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 04:36:05 PM »
Actually, I've heard Rayman is one of the greatest platforming series out there, although I've never played it personally.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 04:38:00 PM »
PTO 2 anyone?
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 05:01:05 PM »
i thought a sleeper hit was something that was a hit that wasnt expected to be
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 05:05:14 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
Or Mischief Makers!
Most definitely... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 07:18:28 PM »
mystical ninja
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 07:57:04 PM »
A sleeper hit is actually a game that wasnt expected to sell but did...depends what way you look at it...
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 08:03:17 PM »

Shadowrun? Vhat's dat?

Shadowrun was a game based on the pen and paper game of the same name.  It came out for the SNES in about 93.  It dealt with the 'matrix' and all kinds of cool stuff.  You could go around and hire ogres for muscle and hack into the matrix.  Go get it, or download it.  Way ahead of its time.  There was a ton of slowdown. However on my PC, its not quite as bad.  Dont download any ROM unless you already own the game kiddies....

More recently, i'd say Hybrid Heaven for the N64.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 11:24:24 PM »
Sounds good...Matrix? Aint that recent...

Offline Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2003, 12:30:59 AM »
I always thought Sleeper Hit was a game that wasen't expected to sell very well, then turned out to be a huge success.

Offline joeyjojo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2003, 02:34:25 AM »
i agree. i mean, monkey ball is considered a sleeper hit because it wasnt hyped but managed to sell very well.
"OMG! I gotz teh powerup guys!"
-rick "powerup" powers

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2003, 03:02:44 AM »
A " Sleeper hit " is ( in movie terms , something I know about ) is a hit movie that no one expected to be a hit. It is a hit movie that comes out of nowhere. A good example is " The Blair Witch Project " it was a movie no one heard about but it blew it big time from nowhere. A little movie that made over $100 million dollars.
A cult hit is a movie which isn't really popular but has a following. A great example ( AND A GREAT Movie ) is NEAR DARK ... which is the best vampire horror movie you have probably never heard of. I highly recommend it. IT didn't break box office records, I doubt it made it's money back but it has a HUGE cult following and people constantly recommending it. Another cult hit which is BETTER than both Matrix sequels is EQUILLIBRIUM ....... the best Matrix sequel that isn't.  

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2003, 07:45:56 AM »

The Matrix is actually an old idea.  The Wachowski brothers act like they created it, when in fact, if you look at an old Dr. Who episode from the 70's, the Matrix is in it.  The game Shadowrun also uses the actual word Matrix , and you can 'jack' into computers.  I'm a little foggy about what happens once you do, but i'm quite certain its in the game.  

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2003, 08:42:32 AM »

Originally posted by: The Omen

The Matrix is actually an old idea.  The Wachowski brothers act like they created it, when in fact, if you look at an old Dr. Who episode from the 70's, the Matrix is in it.  The game Shadowrun also uses the actual word Matrix , and you can 'jack' into computers.  I'm a little foggy about what happens once you do, but i'm quite certain its in the game.

You can also hack ino computerrs in Mega Man