Author Topic: Discontinued Amiibo Figures Could Come Back in Card Form  (Read 13348 times)

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Discontinued Amiibo Figures Could Come Back in Card Form
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 10:57:56 PM »
maybe they will add AR support to the cards to help bridge the gap some.

i wonder if come january a big influx will arrive in stores and kill the ebay market.

the last thing Nintendo wants is these little guys to be in the bargin bin after nobody buys them.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 11:19:41 PM »

Some people will take this news as being like "we'll stop making your favourite chocolate, but we'll sell you the wrappers for you to buy"!

I see it more of like Nintendo allowing people to unlock everything in games when certain Amiibos are no longer available, hopefully at a lower price!

Either way, I don't care enough to buy in either form, outside of the one Yoshi one I got out of curiosity!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 11:30:12 PM »
If Amiibos HAD any functionality worth preserving, this wouldn't be a bad way to do that. Unfortunately, the Amiibos are worthless in terms of functionality so far, so anyone who cares about them not being available are only concerned about their potential as figures. For those people, this is just Nintendo pouring salt on their wounds.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 12:00:01 AM »
One bonus for figure collectors with this - those who just want the functionality might be inclined to pick up the card and either sell their figure or stop pursuing one, helping to decrease demand and increase supply.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 07:36:23 AM »
One bonus for figure collectors with this - those who just want the functionality might be inclined to pick up the card and either sell their figure or stop pursuing one, helping to decrease demand and increase supply.
From the overall response to this decision I've seen, I doubt it.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »
Good god, Nintendo.  Just offer an app with in-app purchases to buy QR codes to scan as certain characters for Amiibo functionality.  Worry less about the scarcity of figurines/cards and offer the same presumed in-game value at a fraction of the cost.

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 03:13:15 PM »
was anyone honestly expecting Nintendo not to screw this up? At this point in time I am shocked they still have any real loyal fans left.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2014, 08:13:54 AM »
I never really cared for the figures which would have served as decoration and I don't know what I'd do with a bunch of them. I liked that the content was largely unnecessary so I didn't feel like I was missing much. For $13, the price wall was too high for that content, even spread across a many games, though I considered it at times. If an Amiibo card is like $4 or $5, I could probably talk myself into picking one up.

Still, it's just a different kind of DLC rollout method. With that in mind, you're left to wonder what the point is. Was DLC so broken? It depends on how companies handle it. I thought Nintendo was doing well in that regard. Amiibo potentially gives you more value since it can be used in multiple games. It just seems extraneous.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2014, 04:19:17 PM »
There's some Amiibo that I want because I like the character or whatever, but there's some I'd like to have just use in smash bros or whatever other game that eventually will use it.  I think Marth and Fox fit that category.  The cards, pending the price, would work for me in that regard.  It'd at least save some space.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.