Author Topic: Nintendo Unveils New Entry Level Handheld, the 2DS  (Read 21486 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Unveils New Entry Level Handheld, the 2DS
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2013, 06:03:07 PM »
Everyone who doesn't think the DS is a brand name by now (DS, DS Lite, DSi, 3DS, etc) is stupid to think this won't move a million units, especially with Pokemon coming out.

I mean, come on, are you serious.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2013, 06:33:02 PM »
The controls look uncomfortable!
Made you look ****.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2013, 06:52:54 PM »
I remember eBay had seperate sections for DS and DS Lite games because the people running things there are easily confused idiots.  So how much you bet this happens again with 3DS and 2DS?

Of course when you name your console 3DS and take out the 3D feature you're kinda forced to change the name.  It isn't anything I would have expected Nintendo to take into account when they named the 3DS.

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2013, 07:13:01 PM »
I can't understand why people are upset about this prodd[8)_(90-
098io
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2013, 07:14:11 PM »
Can you fold it cause it looks like you can't!
Made you look ****.

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2013, 07:29:22 PM »
My wait for a nice remodel of the regular 3DS continues... I'm starting to wonder if it will ever happen, I'd prefer to get a new one with the proper screen size.
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2013, 07:39:46 PM »
I was going to ask why this is such a big deal, but then I thought of the answer, "Because... internet."
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2013, 09:01:05 PM »
As was pointed out by (I believe) a certain doctor and former NWR director, it doesn't matter if it fits in a pocket (though I believe it to be a little smaller than an iPad Mini which fits in my pocket) - it's got to fit in a Spiderman backpack. And it does that perfectly.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2013, 09:02:31 PM »
I finally had a chance to look at more pics and read up on it. A few takeaways:

1. It's slightly heavier than the original. No, Nintendo.

2. The battery life is a hair better than the original though essentially the same. And there's no power saving mode per NOE. No, Nintendo.

3. I'm guessing there won't be a 2DS Circle Pad Pro. This one at least kind of makes sense due to the target audience.

For a handheld that's not meant for pockets, I think grips for better comfort and handling could have gone a long way. I still don't like the button placement in relation to the bottom screen, but I suppose I have to try it myself.

Offline Chad Sexington

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • UO Thief
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2013, 09:05:38 PM »
Not sure what I think about this.

The 3D on my 3DS is 'on' 99% of the time.  If I can set it to max on a particular game, then I do.

But even if I didn't care for 3D, the screen size would be a deal breaker for me.  I don't think I would ever buy this over a 3DS XL for that fact alone.

Kind of an odd product in my mind, but it sounds like other people are excited for it.
12 years of Ultima Online - www.uothief.com - Twitter: @UOThief

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2013, 09:07:57 PM »
On XL the pixels are grainy! What they did was just stercth the pixels. And if you research has excalty the same amount as the 3DS! :@
Made you look ****.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2013, 09:09:35 PM »
2. The battery life is a hair better than the original though essentially the same. And there's no power saving mode per NOE. No, Nintendo.

Isn't there a sleep switch on the side that would save power? It has to work with StreetPass, at the very least.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2013, 09:22:50 PM »
Isn't there a sleep switch on the side that would save power? It has to work with StreetPass, at the very least.
It does. The switch in on the bottom right hand corner. I don't think Sleep Mode and Power Saving Mode are the same thing, at least not according to Nintendo of Europe.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2013, 09:37:24 PM »
Power Saving Mode is the option that dilutes and dulls certain colors in the brighter settings to save some battery while being used.

Also, apparently the 2DS screens are actually one screen with a bit of plastic making them into two screens, so someone online made this:

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2013, 09:40:27 PM »
Ian mentioned that in the previous page. I'll wait for confirmation.

I think I'd actually prefer that setup with one large screen. Time to bring back the Gameboy line.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2013, 09:42:37 PM »
Ian mentioned that in the previous page. I'll wait for confirmation.

Well, your confirmation's been here for a while. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-2ds-has-one-big-screen-divided-by-plastic

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2013, 09:42:44 PM »

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2013, 09:45:32 PM »
I can't understand why people are upset about this prodd[ :cool; _(90-
098io

Blasted cat running across keyboard...

I don't understand why people are upset about this product.  This is NOT for handheld gamers (they all have 3DS/XL's already). This is most definitely for kids 10 and under FIRST, the incredibly price conscious individual who is tangentially interested in a 3DS to play with mostly at home SECOND, and those who abhor 3D in all it's incarnations but still want to play games on the system LAST.

I repeat, THIS IS NOT FOR 99% OF YOU.  The comparisons to this looking like a Leap Frog are spot on, this is not a device that is suppose to be played outside by teens or adults. Those criticizing the design clearly either have no children or are unfamiliar with how children treat their toys. I can't tell you how many broken hinged DS's I've seen from various families I know. The one unit slate design is much sturdier than a clamshell. It's also relatable form-factor wise to tablets which more and more children are familiar with.  The control placement is fine (kids don't care about ergonomics) and it makes the system not be top heavy vs. holding the system from the bottom if all the controls were focused there. Finally, the price is attractive enough for parents to consider buying this vs. an OG or XL (or having their kids play their parent's system).

I don't get why people are critical of a hardware solution that is clearly aimed at an entirely different audience from them.  This system only adds more people to the 3DS fold and it doesn't splinter the market on features ( I slide off my 3D setting instantly granting me a 2DS). Do people feel like they have to buy every iteration of hardware?

If you want to play handheld games, buy an XL.
If you are price conscious, get an OG.
If you want to buy a kid a handheld, get a 2DS
If you are waiting for a dual analog 3DS revision, go back to playing consoles or buy a Vita.

People get rather silly sometimes.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2013, 09:49:07 PM »
It's going to make things even more confusing for the retarded consumer.The idiots who thought a 3DS was a "3D DS" or the Wii U was simply a "tablet controller for the Wii" are going to be even more confused by the 2DS.

That's the reason I'm in a tizzy.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2013, 09:59:17 PM »
It's going to make things even more confusing for the retarded consumer.The idiots who thought a 3DS was a "3D DS" or the Wii U was simply a "tablet controller for the Wii" are going to be even more confused by the 2DS.

That's the reason I'm in a tizzy.

That's understandable, but:
-The system doesn't look like a 3DS or a DS, so when a kid asks for it there will be little confusion as long as the person buying it sees what it actually looks like.
-The thing plays both 3DS and DS games, so whatever Nintendo branded software the most misguided consumer buys released in the last 7+ years will still be playable on the system.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2013, 10:13:01 PM »
as long as the person buying it sees what it actually looks like.
That's the entire problem. A kid asks for a 2DS and if you're not well-versed in gaming, you're probably walking into the store without a clue of what you're looking for, even if you saw one briefly. And working retail is the worst because trying to explain this stuff to newbz is like Abbott and Costello's "Who's on first?"

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2013, 10:27:55 PM »
All I know is that if my son was old enough to play games and under 10, and I wanted to give him a version of the 3DS that was simplified for his use and less prone to breakage without the hinges, I think this would be perfect.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2013, 11:54:07 PM »
Then why is it that this website is the only place I've seen who welcomes this? All I've seen is warranted hatred towards this awful piece of hardware, until I come to a Nintendo fansite where they welcome this piece of junk with open arms.
It might not seem it as of late but as a community we tend to be open and this is not a bad piece of kit when you think of it.

A lot of people especially in the Hardcore area wish the 3D gone.
Kids like to fiddling with things and parents have to unfiddle them.  I'm not going to get them a system where I have to constantly be moving up or down the slider.
The hinges are and will always be the weakest point and kids aren't gentle.

Honestly I don't really know what Nintendo could have done to make a new Sku really.  This is clever outside of the box thinking on their part.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.