Author Topic: Can anyone here try to give me car advice? Aka wishing for a x-mas miracle..  (Read 2732 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
I'm sick of google, been on it since Friday trying to figure out whats wrong with my car.

Here's the situation:

Friday morning a friend took my car to get my state's annual inspection done on my behalf while I was working. Although my engine light had been coming on intermittently the last few weeks, it managed to pass BUT it died on him when he was pulling in to my driveway and had to push the car a mere 10 feet to my actual parking spot.

At first glance it appeared the battery had died. The lights on the dash weren't on, remote locks didn't work, the usual. I tried a jump start but the car still wouldn't start so I got it tested and verified it was no good. Buy the new battery and install it but still won't start. Lights are on as they should be and the car will at least crank but it just won't start. After consulting google, I read that perhaps it's the spark plugs as the battery isn't the issue (and my timing belts were  replaced less than 6 months ago, alternator and water pump about 1 year ago, if not less). I bought the car used and have long lost the few service receipts the previous owner had kept, lots of regular schedule maintenance, wasn't even high mileage until I became owner - but yeah, I don't recall specifically seeing that spark plugs were ever replaced, and I know damn well they've never been changed while I had owned it, so after more google, plus youtube tutorials, I decided to give it a shot.

After spending a little over an hour outside in the freezing cold while I'm sick with a cold, I was able to replace them but I still can't get the engine to start. At this point I don't know what to do. If by chance something is wrong with the starter/alternator/timing belts, those go way beyond my level of skill to try to do on my own. Whats worse is all the local mechanics are shady pieces of **** that try to take advantage of rubes like me. The only mechanic I trust is about 30 minutes away, so the tow would be expensive and after all this holiday spending.. I don't want to spend that much on the tow as well as the repairs. So I'm reaching out in hopes someone here at NWR might be able to give me an idea of what else I could do.

tldr:

Engine cranks but won't start. Battery and spark plugs are brand new as of this weekend. Alternator, timing belt and water pump are all fairly new as well and installed by a professional mechanic, all new parts as well, nothing refurbished. I mentioned the starter earlier, which I don't think has ever been changed since I've had the car but if it was bad, wouldn't my car not even crank and instead I'd hear a clicking noise as if the battery was dead?

Please NWR, help!!!!!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
The fact that it died while driving indicates a fuel issue rather than an ignition issue. Low gas? Water in the fuel? Carborator or fuel pump?s

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Make/model/year plz

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Male/yes/1981
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
Male/yes/1981

lol

Mitsubishi Galant 2002

As for the fuel, I was wondering that as well to be honest.. again, I wasn't the one driving when it happened and when I asked him for details; any loud noises, did the car feel like it was struggling etc. All he said was "the steering wheel just felt hard to move" which doesn't help me much. I thought about the fuel issue, because I couldn't recall how much gas I had when I let him take it for the inspection, but he claims.. and this is still funny to me.. "oh uh... probably like 70 out of 100%?" lol... he's a good kid, just dumb and doesn't know how to give details very well..

I'm not mechanic, obviously, but the fact that it died while driving doesn't necessarily make it a fuel issue. That **** used to happen a lot when my alternator went bad, but as stated before the one in there now is fairly new. Still doesn't mean it couldn't of been damaged somehow or defective, I just don't know what I'd be looking for if I was able to remove it. The strangest part was that the battery really was dead, leading me to believe it needed a jump which lead to the testing and replacing of the battery.. but there's still something wrong because it won't start. Only I would get stuck with a car having multiple issues at once, ****.

Oh! One detail I forgot to add; I noticed that the night before this happened, the temperature gauge was acting up. It would shoot up while idle and then stabilize while driving, but then sometimes it would stay rather high. Fortunately I wasn't far from home so it never actually over-heated. I've never had one overheat before and I don't know the repercussions of that happening..
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
If it was thermal, giving it a few hours to cool down should make it start again. Is it automatic? have you tried a push start?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
I would also like help with my vehicle, but I won't hijack the thread til his issue gets solved.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
If it was thermal, giving it a few hours to cool down should make it start again. Is it automatic? have you tried a push start?

Car died on mid-day Friday. I didn't have a chance to do anything at the time because I worked all day and ran around picking up a few people for a party I was throwing the same night. I took 5 minutes to go out to it and try to start it, thinking maybe it just overheated and needed time but because the battery was dead, turning the key only resulted in that soft 'clicking'.

Saturday, late afternoon, I had the time to examine the car and is when I tried the jump start for the battery and ultimately ended up replacing it. By then it had more than 24 hours to cool off and even once the new battery was installed, it wouldn't start. It went from soft clicking to actually hearing the engine try to start, just not turn on. That's when the google searches started and I read that perhaps the spark plugs were bad and the logic that there was no spark leading to combustion made sense to me, but by then it was too late (and cold!) to work on the car any further.

Sunday I started trying to take the spark plugs out but ran in to some trouble and with the bad cold I had, I gave up fairly early. This was after trying to start the car again, but nothing. Yesterday  is when I replaced the spark plugs and still couldn't get it to start, hence asking for help here.

Additional notes to mull over:

Yes, car is automatic transmission. I don't have the space to try a push start, I rent a space in small lot owned by the homeowner which happens to be adjacent to my apartment building. Even if all the cars were removed for me to have the space to make the U to get outta the driveway and on to the street for a push start, there are so many park cars that maneuvering a vehicle in neutral would be a nightmare, especially for one person.

More importantly; when removing the spark plugs, 2 of the 4 were absolutely drenched in motor oil. From everything I read, this didn't seem to be normal :P The 2 that were doused were the ones under the ignition coils.. (and now that I know what those are called, seem like this could be an issue lol)

I would also like help with my vehicle, but I won't hijack the thread til his issue gets solved.

I do appreciate that thank you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
oil in the spark plugs makes me think head gasket.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Could just be valve cover gasket. I had to change that on my Accord back in the day, it was like $10 and only took a few minutes.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
Thanks guys, I'll start doing my homework and see if I can tackle the repair some time this week.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile

My stepfather got me in contact with a mechanic he trust in the area and the guy was nice enough to come over and check out the car. He had it towed to his shop this morning to get a better idea of whats going on, he tells me the diagnostic codes show a bad crank shaft sensor which he'll be replacing today and I'll hopefully have my car back before this evening. I hope so at least.. until then I'm joyriding in my stepfathers Jaguar X-type :D

Oblivion feel free to hijack the thread now.