Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 316815 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« on: September 06, 2012, 10:21:06 PM »
Do you think Android gaming devices like the Ouya, Archos GamePad, and Wikipad can be a success? If you want dedicated controls on a handheld device, why not just buy a 3DS or Vita?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:06:19 AM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Android gaming devices
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:12:28 PM »
I enjoy Angry Birds when I'm at lunch.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 02:43:48 PM »
I got back into Solitaire because of my phone.  I love that I can choose only deals that have been beaten before so I can feel like I'm a Solitaire master.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 04:10:56 PM »
Do you think Android gaming devices like the Ouya, Archos GamePad, and Wikipad can be a success? If you want dedicated controls on a handheld device, why not just buy a 3DS or Vita?

Cause Android has more games than the Vita?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 07:27:45 PM »

Well yeah, and pretty much every mobile device has more games than a game console. The only reason smartphone games are popular is because everyone owns a phone, and the games are cheap.

Like I've said in the past, game consoles have ALWAYS been a niche product. Not everyone owns or needs a game console, but everyone owns a phone of some sort.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 07:29:02 PM »
Ouya doesn't exist and never will. Android will never be a viable gaming operating system or an operating system outside of phones. Shoe horning it into everything is like trying to do the same with Windows and the terrible mobile variants. There are numerous good reasons why OSX and iOS are two separate, but linked OSs.

The answer to your question is no.

Also all this Android pushing is getting annoying as hell. Then there is you. Shingi pushing phones and Windows. It's an unholy trinity of **** that is irrelevant.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:34:09 PM »

Ouya doesn't exist and never will. Android will never be a viable gaming operating system or an operating system outside of phones. Shoe horning it into everything is like trying to do the same with Windows and the terrible mobile variants. There are numerous good reasons why OSX and iOS are two separate, but linked OSs.

Also all this Android pushing is getting annoying as hell. Then there is you. Shingi pushing phones and Windows. It's an unholy trinity of **** that is irrelevant.

Well, it seems Google wants to be the next Microsoft, and get their products onto as many devices as possible. Android is also open-source, meaning anyone can take the code and tweak it however they want (Kindle Fire, for example).

I've tried using Android, and I think it's clunky, confusing, and slow (compared to iOS, at least).

As for mobile OS and PC OS staying separate, why do you want that? Microsoft is putting Windows 8 onto pretty much everything from PC's, to phones and tablets, to the next Xbox. They want a complete, unified ecosystem where going from one device to the next is seamless and intuitive. The user interface will be consistent regardless of what device you are using, and I don't see a problem with that. It will make things much easier for developers, that's for sure.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 07:58:20 PM »
Why are we even talking about this. Mobile devices, desktops, servers, etc all have differing requirements in use and needs. By combining them, you end up with the lowest common denominator which only serves one system well while compromising the others. All of the weaknesses from different devices and none of the unique strength's from each.

MS wasn't the only one to have experimented with such simplified and "Streamlined" setups. Apple was looking into that in the early 90's. Apple did release it as part of the OS and elements of it continues to this day, but it was never made to be the source of primary interaction because of how unwieldy and restrictive it was.

If you had any awareness of history, you would know better.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 08:14:39 PM »
Why are we even talking about this. Mobile devices, desktops, servers, etc all have differing requirements in use and needs. By combining them, you end up with the lowest common denominator which only serves one system well while compromising the others. All of the weaknesses from different devices and none of the unique strength's from each.

MS wasn't the only one to have experimented with such simplified and "Streamlined" setups. Apple was looking into that in the early 90's. Apple did release it as part of the OS and elements of it continues to this day, but it was never made to be the source of primary interaction because of how unwieldy and restrictive it was.

If you had any awareness of history, you would know better.

But in Microsoft's case, user-consistency is the benefit that outweighs any perceived limitations. It will make developing apps and games more streamlined, because everything in the OS is consistent, whether it's on a PC or tablet.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 08:16:40 PM »
When it comes to a Tendoboy post, the best policy is to resist hitting the reply button at all cost.
is your sanity...

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 08:17:47 PM »
When it comes to a Tendoboy post, the best policy is to resist hitting the reply button at all cost.

So me explaining my reasoning isn't worth debating over?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 08:39:53 PM »

I could say the same thing about you.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 09:12:13 PM »
You two need to quit bickering and just make out already. :P
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 09:35:57 PM »
You two need to quit bickering and just make out already. :P:

I have a girlfriend for that. <3  :-*

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 10:46:40 PM »
Palmala Handerson?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 12:53:48 AM »
I got back into Solitaire because of my phone.  I love that I can choose only deals that have been beaten before so I can feel like I'm a Solitaire master.

Actually... I got back into Solitaire because of this post combined with the review of 3D Solitaire for the 3DS... I lose so many games because the 3DS release doesn't guarantee that its "deals" are winnable T-T
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 06:48:38 AM »
I'm getting a Nexus 7 next week (although i am seriously considering requesting we hold off so i can get a 3G + Wifi one instead), and i binged up on Humble Indie Bundles so i have a ton of games to play on there.

Will report how that turns out soon.

I did install World of Goo on my Galaxy Nexus though. I admit i find that game easier with touch control than with my Wii Remote or keyboard/mouse.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 02:31:56 PM »
Speaking of tablets... would any of you choose a Kindle Fire HD over a Google Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy Tab? What are the advantages of the Kindle Fire?

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 04:59:31 PM »

Actually... I got back into Solitaire because of this post combined with the review of 3D Solitaire for the 3DS... I lose so many games because the 3DS release doesn't guarantee that its "deals" are winnable T-T
Well, to be honest, I think it only has that option because others have won with those deals.  It's because the game is pretty much always connected to the internet that it's able to have that option.  If a deal has never been beaten, it doesn't mean it's unbeatable, just that no one has done it yet.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »
Speaking of tablets... would any of you choose a Kindle Fire HD over a Google Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy Tab? What are the advantages of the Kindle Fire?
I might, since you can root the HD without Amazon trying to stop you and I believe it has better hardware inside of it and having the Amazon ecosystem works for me. 

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'll ever get a tablet though.  I just can't decide which one I want and I'm not buying all of them.  So I'll stick with phones, consoles, home PCs and a laptop.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 02:55:42 AM »

If you want a customisable experience get a Nexus 7 (it's easy to do, like the Nexus phones).
If you want a "manufacturer provided" experience get a Galaxy Tab.
If you want something for consumption (like online stores for games, movies, etc), get the Kindle Fire.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 12:04:35 PM »

Well yeah, and pretty much every mobile device has more games than a game console. The only reason smartphone games are popular is because everyone owns a phone, and the games are cheap.

Like I've said in the past, game consoles have ALWAYS been a niche product. Not everyone owns or needs a game console, but everyone owns a phone of some sort.

Look at the game library size on the Vita. Seriously, that thing's pathetic. Android has more good games than that (and mind you, Android doesn't have many good games).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »

your quick to say that, but when I walk into Best Buy and I see a Jambox, then I see that they have had some previous success. Releasing a console is like the equivalent of releasing a dongle now. There's probably going to be loads of niche consoles in the future. Oligopolies can't lock everyone out forever. Unlike the weird investment thing Phantom did, Kickstarter has a requirement for sending out rewards to customers or they get their money back.

I see weird chinese made consoles in stores all the time. Some of them are terrible wii knockoffs, some of them play nes games. The only difference between those and this is its 2012-2013 and technology is cheaper.

The other thing is there is already stuff like this out on the market in dongle form. The only difference between Ouya and the dongles, is ouya is in box form and had good marketing.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 04:18:58 PM »
Kickstarter doesn't require you to give anything to donors (unless you specifically promise to give them something for donating). Even the people at Kickstarter said they don't know what they could do if someone failed to deliver on their promise.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 04:34:24 PM »

If you want a customisable experience get a Nexus 7 (it's easy to do, like the Nexus phones).
If you want a "manufacturer provided" experience get a Galaxy Tab.
If you want something for consumption (like online stores for games, movies, etc), get the Kindle Fire.

Well don't all Android devices have access to the Google Play Store? That makes them like an iPad because the Play Store is where Google has all their apps. And the Nexus 7 is built around the Play Store, so it's even more similar to an iPad in that sense.