Author Topic: Ouya  (Read 101067 times)

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
Re: Ouya
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2012, 05:48:52 PM »
It'd be cool if this thing succeeds but it's nothing I want in on at the moment.  I don't think I'll ever buy a launch system again so if this thing gets 2-3 good years worth of games, I'll definitely pick one up on the cheap.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2012, 06:12:40 PM »
It will get every bit as much software support as the Android platform gets... because an Android platform is exactly what this thing is. If it runs on Android, it also runs on this... simple as that.

So why wouldn't there be software support? The only way software support on this thing would die is if the entire Android platform itself died off, and I don't see that happening quite frankly. You don't go to buy a Dell or HP or whatever computer and worry about the Dell or HP platform not being supported. You know why? Because the Dell or HP computer you buy runs Windows 7, and that's all you need to worry about. The same applies to Ouya. Ouya isn't a platform, ANDROID is the platform and that platform runs on Ouya. Do you see what I'm saying?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:15:33 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2012, 06:21:30 PM »
Nobody's going to buy a system, even for just $100, that just plays games that already available on other devices with unoptimized controls. It needs developers to put in at least a little effort to support the controller it uses, and it really needs exclusive software you can't get anywhere else. The first I could see happening, the second I really don't.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »
It doesn't need exclusive software that you can't get anywhere else (or at least not a lot of it), and tons of Android games support controllers now, even games that you wouldn't think would use one.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »
Nobody's going to buy a system, even for just $100, that just plays games that already available on other devices with unoptimized controls. It needs developers to put in at least a little effort to support the controller it uses, and it really needs exclusive software you can't get anywhere else. The first I could see happening, the second I really don't.
Roku would like to say Hi.  $100 for a Roku that can play games.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2012, 10:34:08 PM »
It doesn't need exclusive software that you can't get anywhere else (or at least not a lot of it)

Why not? What makes you think it can be successful without exclusives?

Roku would like to say Hi.  $100 for a Roku that can play games.

Assuming it did the media functionality as well or reasonably close to as well as a Roku, then maybe, but only if they managed to market it well enough to get people aware of it.

I'm not saying this thing can't be successful, but they're looking at an incredibly niche market of people who want to play games on a TV instead of on a computer or a smartphone/tablet, but aren't willing to pay a little bit more to get a much more polished experience. Even if it hits the $99 price point, how many people are there who want a console but aren't willing to pay $50-100 more for a much better experience with a Wii or 360? Hell, by the time the thing releases the Wii will probably be $99 as well.

J.P. Corbran

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2012, 11:22:29 PM »
I really don't like the idea of this OUYA thing. If all it does is receive Android ports and other cheap indie games, then it will never be in the same league as the "big boys".

Many people hated the Wii because it was "underpowered"... wait till they see what this OUYA thing has to offer.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2012, 12:15:40 AM »
Had a good think and sleep on this. The biggest problem is that it doesn't solve a problem people have. The basis of this device is "Bringing gaming back to the TV" which makes no sense. 150  Million Wiis alone say otherwise. Throw in PS360 and the numbers get even more ridiculous.

Lets say out of the box it can run everything Android can sans device specific controls. It does technically have that library, but are those gaming experiences really what you want? How does that compare to games you could and can play on that computer you are using to read this right now? If you want a controller, a Bluetooth dongle costs less than $10. You more than likely have the controller. for $10 you can achieve what Ouya does for $100.

They contradict themselves with their opening statement "We love console games". Android was and never is about console gaming. It's a phone operating system first, gaming second. As I said before, 200  Million consoles sold speaks volumes as to how consoles aren't dead. Had this come out during a videogame crash, they might have an opening, but they are betting on the big 3 and PC to fold at the start of next gen and not fight it out. Not happening.

On the PC it is as open as it gets. You don't have to sell your game on Steam or heaven forbid Origin, you can go free range. You can have near limitless processing power to whatever you can squeeze out of net books. Different controllers, **** tons of open source libraries to use. Do developers seriously want to lock themselves to a box of stationary mobile parts when a more standard solution would be more bang for buck? Lets examine the developer quotes closely.
"This has the potential to be the game developer's console. It's about time!" -- Brian Fargo (founder of inXile)
Brian, I have a lot of respect for you, but you have it backwards. It has always been about the players, not you. If Brian's statement was true, PC would have crushed Nintendo after SNES.

“Who wouldn't want a beautiful piece of industrial design that sells for $99, plugs straight into your TV, and gives you access to a huge library of games?" – Jordan Mechner (creator of Prince of Persia, Karateka)

The Wii pretty much does this, right now or a PS2. Take your pick. It's such an open statement, it's meaningless.

“If OUYA delivers on the promise of being the first true open gaming platform that gives indie developers access to the living room gaming market, yes that is a great idea. We will follow the development of OUYA and see how it resonates with gamers. I could see all current Mojang games go on the platform if there's a demand for it.” – Mojang (developer of Minecraft)

This statement's first sentence is the closest to making any sense. Unfortunately it's still backwards. Whats so special or open about this? Ouya still needs to get it's cut like every other platform out there and will have no revenue stream outside of the box itself. The remaining sentences is actually completely noncommittal double talk. Besides the fact his game is a code nightmare, it's Java, inherently cross-platform. It's like saying I might make mince out of a cow, but I have steak and everyone is eating steak right now, I will wait for people to start asking for mince.

"I'm excited for OUYA! I am a firm believer that there is always room to challenge the status quo." -- Jenova Chen (thatgamecompany, creator of flOw, Cloud, and Flower)

There always room to challenge, but the question is is there room to stay? Big 3 economics say no. I played flOw and it's not a game. It's a bastard version of snake with a more gamey version back on BASIC.

“The prospect of an affordable, open console -- that's an idea I find really exciting.” -- Adam Saltsman (Semi Secret, creator of Canabalt)

Lets correct this statement. "The prospect of another device to sell my game on is exciting". Your game only uses one button. The effort required is trivial compared to the game itself.

"Our games will work so well on a TV, we just need an easy way to get them there. OUYA could be it." -- Marek Rabas (Madfinger Games)

"An open game console that gives independent game developers the flexibility to experiment with their games and business models on the TV, is something that's long overdue." – David Edery (Spry Fox, creator of Triple Town)

I rolled these two together because they say the same thing and have the same problem. The TV is a display device, nothing more. My computer is a "TV". Consoles with netflicks is a "TV". TV is something where you watch things on. There is inherently nothing special about it. What is special about it was for a long time it was the only display device in the house which is no longer the case. Bring mobile games to it isn't going to change that.

Have a look at the Mac App store. It's mostly rubbish ported mobile games with jury-rigged controls. The reason they are rubbish is that they are all mobile games which have a completely different design and gameplay criteria to a non-mobile, non-handheld games. This fundamental dissonance isn't going to be solved by throwing phone parts into a box.

One last note. their opening statement is worth a few laughs.
Cracking open the last closed platform: the TV.  A beautiful, affordable console -- built on Android, by the creator of Jambox.
It's a TV, you pug things in and it displays it. It's neither closed or open. It's neutral and doesn't give a ****.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2012, 01:19:36 AM »
im sure they are aware its not really a problem, they are using it as a marketing ploy. Stupid 14 year old will buy that ploy.

"oh my god i have to save consoles!!!!!!"
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2012, 01:26:54 AM »
I really don't like the idea of this OUYA thing. If all it does is receive Android ports and other cheap indie games, then it will never be in the same league as the "big boys".

Many people hated the Wii because it was "underpowered"... wait till they see what this OUYA thing has to offer.
Your kidding me right? Tegra 3 flat out wipes the floor with the Wii (even my DROID Bionic has much more horsepower than the Wii). There aren't too many developers that are taking advantage of the Tegra 3's power right now, but even the guy from the gamasutra article thougt that Shadow Gun was Gears of War (and he was trying to put the console down). Tegra has some major power, the THD version of Dead Trigger could easily pass for an Xbox 360 or PS3 game.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2012, 03:33:29 AM »
Nobody's going to buy a system,

I would. Tens of thousands of others have already said they would.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2012, 03:38:25 AM »
150  Million Wiis alone say otherwise.

From Wikipedia:

Worldwide: 96.56 million (as of June 30, 2012) (details)

It hasn't even hit 100 million yet, let alone 150 million. At this rate it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:40:52 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2012, 04:08:52 AM »
Nobody's going to buy a system,

I would. Tens of thousands of others have already said they would.

You seriously need to stop taking everything completely literally. In terms of a game console user base, tens of thousands of people is equivalent to nobody. You need way more than that initial batch of people to make the system at all viable, and that's what I was referring to.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2012, 04:18:36 AM »
Ops, that was some bad maths on my part. I had noticed the numbers were off by 30 million unaccounted for in "other" territories. A brain fart latter, mistakes were made. I will let it sit in the record unmodified. My apologies for the confusion caused.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »
wow oohhboy, your voice changed. LOL. You used to sound like Liam Neeson

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2012, 02:35:51 PM »
I'm glad he changed the avatar back to the girl. She's easier on the eyes. But who is she?
is your sanity...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2012, 04:13:42 PM »
She's Meer Campbell although the picture is not remotely official. Her pivotal line is in my signature. She is voiced by Rie Tanaka who ranks in my top 5 seiyus. I should rotate more pictures of her to mess with people. But first I need to get my title fixed...

Here are 3 articles of interest to Ouya. What really straight up put me off this on first impression was the infomercial grade marketing talk. Just compare the language used with the other big KS, Wasteland 2, notice first page they already have an actual business plan and time line. From there on it just snowballs. In a face palm moment, their lastest update is to bring music videos to the Ouya. Way to stay in focus guys.

This thing will have absolutely zero margin for error. The engineering has to be completely spot on. Android modified, QA done, server backends/store need to be developed from the ground up, support staff hired and trained, post release bug hunting and support. All this on a fraction of the resources of even the previous failures in 8 months with a relatively small team of people even for a game. Valve to this very day doesn't have Steam at quite 100% with the great bug hunt. This is going to be push out half baked or the delay would cause a cost blowout ending this thing before release.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2012, 05:42:41 PM »
Isn't there some really high profile "expert" people at work on this? I thought I read somewhere that one of the main people working on Ouya was also someone who worked on Amazon's Kindle or something like that. So if that's the case its not like this is being put together by a team of amateurs who have zero experience in stuff like this. If that were the case I would really be skeptical too, but it sounds like at least some of them have a good idea of what they're doing.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2012, 09:19:02 PM »
the guy who designed it designed this thing called the Jambox, and the 99 dollar PC. I'm personally tempted to create a PC called the "PC Reboot", "as a franchise the PC needs to be relaunched with a series of innate improvements. " Sew what I did there?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2012, 01:42:38 AM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game?ref=discover_pop

i noticed this today, and was ready to facepalm until gabe newell and john carmack were like "buy this!"

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2012, 02:35:55 AM »
Isn't there some really high profile "expert" people at work on this? I thought I read somewhere that one of the main people working on Ouya was also someone who worked on Amazon's Kindle or something like that. So if that's the case its not like this is being put together by a team of amateurs who have zero experience in stuff like this. If that were the case I would really be skeptical too, but it sounds like at least some of them have a good idea of what they're doing.

Even if they designed the Kindle, that was with Amazon's infrastructure. There's no way you could match that level for resources in an entrepreneurial venture.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2012, 06:26:24 PM »
For some reason this thing reminds me of the 3DO, a device made by tech industry veterans that tries to go after the traditional console market.

Hopefully this thing will get some real AAA games (games like Mass Effect, God of War, Call of Duty, etc.), and not just be a port machine full of cheap, tiny Android / smartphone games.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »
I don't see any AAA game being made just for it, and really any good exclusive games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2012, 07:22:39 PM »
I don't see any AAA game being made just for it, and really any good exclusive games.

What about the exclusive game from that company founded by that guy who used to work at Infinity Ward?
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2012, 07:49:06 PM »
A developer that has never made any games before, and he was basically just the community manager for Infinity Ward. I honestly don't think that pedigree means much. It's basically a indie game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20