Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 413599 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #1425 on: May 09, 2014, 03:56:09 PM »
I'm going to assume that it is something extremely lame and unrelated to whatever we want it to be.
Like some small chip maker that makes some specialized chip that we wouldn't notice if they didn't tell us it was in there.

That should keep expectations firmly in check.

Having said that, I hope that maybe they acquired a company that has expertise in networking, account & media management that will help them unify all their systems under a single log-in and account for each user. Someone that will help bring all Nintendo's future efforts up to par with similarly marketed entertainment devices.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: May 09, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »
Some have speculated that the fact the expenditure was "unexpected" means it relates to settling lawsuits. Others cliam this is not so. As this is the internet< that last sentence was redundant. Apologies

Could be related to their QOL stuff, I guess.

The most insane idea I can think of that actually could be a big hit would be mind control.  I don't know if that would be feasible but that would create a Wii Sports style frenzy if it was done half-decently.
Aw yeah, that'd be suh-weet. Like Firefox! Maybe they could get Clint Eastwood to help sell it.
Oui, Mon Gars!

« Reply #1427 on: May 09, 2014, 06:54:13 PM »
What if it is a new VR headset that will compete with Occulus?
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1428 on: May 09, 2014, 07:22:44 PM »
No VR company worth a damn would go for $100m when Oculus got $2b. It would be MINIMUM a half billion.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: May 09, 2014, 07:43:01 PM »
Occulus got $2 billion from the same company that spent $19 billion on WhatsApp. While I think $100 million is low for a virtual reality company, should we be using Occulus as a reasonable comparison?

« Reply #1430 on: May 09, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »
Nintendo doesn't need a whole VR company, just better technology to what they already have.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: May 10, 2014, 07:44:56 AM »
I think it deals in compression of large files for local wireless transfer and This Guy>>Professor Hiroyuki Shinoda.

That is what I think.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: May 16, 2014, 04:16:35 PM »
Straight from the "duh" files: Digital Trends confirm the Wii U is absolute king when it comes to power-consumption. So...there's that at least.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/xbox-one-thinks-youre-made-electricity-warns-nrdc

Wii U saved.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:18:21 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: May 16, 2014, 04:35:42 PM »
Nintendo designs their system that way, arguably to a fault.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: May 16, 2014, 05:53:18 PM »
Nintendo designs their system that way, arguably to a fault.

To me is just sounds like another case of Nintendo focusing on all the wrong things for the right reasons.

Where they needed to do something new and different, they didn't need to do it at the expense of the things we already loved and expected to be improved upon. This is the story of Iwata and his Wii U.

I knew that statement would come in handy again soon.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: May 16, 2014, 05:57:24 PM »
Nintendo's obsession with power consumption is so insane that I'm surprised the Wii U doesn't use a hand crank to power it.  Considering that they completely fucked up their third party and end up designing an underpowered product that the market is soundly rejecting so they can have low power consumption then, yeah, they damn well better have the best.  Basically Nintendo can do anything they put their mind to... they just put their mind to really idiotic things that matter to literally no one but themselves.

I find it odd that they don't advertise their console as green.  Why is this such a priority if the general public has no idea that all the numerous concessions and compromises were necessary to accomodate it?  They could be the green console but instead they're just the underpowered one.  That's like making diet soda but not advertising it so everyone just thinks you make shitty tasting soda.  Of course I question how many sales you'll get from being the green console and that's why the whole priority is idiotic to begin with.  If the competing consoles sucked enough juice that it made your energy bill unaffordable then Nintendo would be on to something but that isn't the case.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: May 16, 2014, 06:41:52 PM »
Here's the full report, with some extra charts and stuff thrown in. http://www.nrdc.org/energy/game-consoles/files/video-game-consoles-IP.pdf

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: May 16, 2014, 06:56:03 PM »
I'd be ok if they aimed for 100w at full draw.
Gimping the system to max out at 37w is kinda ridiculous when it keeps you from competing a way that is expect for a "benefit" no one is aware of, doesn't really care about, isn't being advertised, and not obviously being done to make the console a handheld/portable in a future revision.
So really, it's like Ian said, it's a kinda pointless trade-off.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: May 16, 2014, 07:30:22 PM »
I'd be ok if they aimed for 100w at full draw.
Gimping the system to max out at 37w is kinda ridiculous when it keeps you from competing a way that is expect for a "benefit" no one is aware of, doesn't really care about, isn't being advertised, and not obviously being done to make the console a handheld/portable in a future revision.

It's classic Nintendo. Too insular for its own good. An early Wii U prototype probably delivered some high usage numbers and it freaked out people at the company to the point that they made power-consumption a top priority in the console. Because they only had their (insanely) low numbers to gauge it they completely missed the point of giving it a little extra juice.

The fact that power usage is basically the same if you're playing a game or not also just goes to show how piss poor the OS is.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: May 16, 2014, 09:16:55 PM »
Who cares about power consumption anyway? If you leave your Xbone on 24 hours a day it'll cost like $30/yr.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: May 16, 2014, 10:27:29 PM »
In Japan power consumption is a far bigger deal than anywhere else Iv'e been. I don't know why that is but I know it's been like this for a very long time. Also, I think 250watts, which the wiiu is no where close to requirers a different plug on the back of the system. Plus the kooky engineers are always trying to push the limits of form factor.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
Kamen Rider Battride war 2 Wii U tralier
« Reply #1441 on: May 16, 2014, 10:42:56 PM »
Kamen Rider Battride War 2 Wii U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaH0bcisXK0

Even though this game will never see the states, the importers might wanna take a stab at it.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1442 on: May 19, 2014, 03:27:02 PM »
No VR company worth a damn would go for $100m when Oculus got $2b. It would be MINIMUM a half billion.

Occulus got $2 billion from the same company that spent $19 billion on WhatsApp. While I think $100 million is low for a virtual reality company, should we be using Occulus as a reasonable comparison?

Honestly, I think Facebook is artificially driving the price up on these tech start ups.  Their overspending shouldn't be a strong indicator of value.  Plus, the market readiness of the technology has to be a factor.  A company still stuck on how to make people think their gizmo is the bees' knees would go for $100M, where as a company with a user base can go for a lot more.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

« Reply #1443 on: May 20, 2014, 10:38:43 PM »
Why do I get the feeling Nintendo is going to release the console we all want, in these new emerging markets, and then try to prop up the Wii U with these figurines?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: May 21, 2014, 12:38:31 AM »
I think it's just going to be another iQue system with demo games loaded in. (I would really like an iQue though)

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/IQue_Player

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1445 on: May 21, 2014, 09:52:44 AM »
I'm sure it'll be a little beefier than the iQue.  Nintendo can probably leverage what they've learned from the eShop to set up a separate online store front and sell some eShop titles and VC games.  I'm sure they'll still use the kiosk method to sell higher end games though.  Maybe even add some online play?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: May 21, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »
Why do I get the feeling Nintendo is going to release the console we all want, in these new emerging markets, and then try to prop up the Wii U with these figurines?

I doubt Nintendo is going to want to support different platforms for the different markets.  They spread themselves thin just supporting both a console and handheld.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: May 21, 2014, 02:36:18 PM »
In places like china and india, it will be as close to a Wii Mini as financially possible. In China they haven't had a real system in decades. I'm pretty sure they can squeeze another 5 years out of the wii in those places.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: May 23, 2014, 05:42:13 PM »
Just a video of a NASCAR race-car getting Mario Kart 8 decals.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1449 on: May 23, 2014, 09:46:36 PM »
It'll be the best rolling advertisement since Dogecoin.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.