Author Topic: Will WiiU games be priced at $50 like the Wii, or $60 like PS360?  (Read 19674 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Will WiiU games be priced at $50 like the Wii, or $60 like PS360?
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 11:35:59 PM »
More like it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo made one big error that killed third party support.

Look, I'd love for $50 to be the max again, but third parties are used to charging $60 for games built for this kind of hardware. If Nintendo puts them in the position of choosing between A. charging less on Wii U or B. charging $10 more than the already-more-popular-on-Nintendo-systems first party titles, a lot of them are going to go with option C, and not support the platform.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 12:23:27 AM »
This is a case where what I want to happen and what I think will happen are two different things. Nintendo is likely going to go with $60, not because third-parties want it, but because Nintendo will think they can get away with it now that the system is in HD, just like the other two. What should really happen though, is to have varying pricing, with games being priced at what they are worth like Nintendo claims games should be. Some of the games Nintendo have released on the Wii simply don't contain enough content to be worth the standard price of $50 or would-be $60, such as Punch-Out!! and Sin and Punishment 2.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 12:55:06 AM »
Variable pricing is where the entire industry needs to go, but until that happens Nintendo has to charge 60 for big name titles for this to work.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 01:03:42 AM »
How will the industry reach variable pricing if a big company like Nintendo isn't the first one to get there? Someone has to make that first step.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 01:09:07 AM »
How will the industry reach variable pricing if a big company like Nintendo isn't the first one to get there? Someone has to make that first step.

Actually, it'll probably happen when the direct-download games start having equal pull in the industry as the retail games, which we're starting to see signs of now but won't likely happen for a long time.  Unfortunately, right now we seem to stuck on a "one price fits all" model at retail, with rare exceptions.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2011, 09:26:47 AM »
Look at PCs.  Especially someplace like Steam.  PC game prices are highly variable compared to all other medias.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2011, 09:59:38 AM »
Didn't DS games have variable prices?  Nintendo has done it before.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2011, 01:19:53 PM »
More like it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo made one big error that killed third party support.

Look, I'd love for $50 to be the max again, but third parties are used to charging $60 for games built for this kind of hardware. If Nintendo puts them in the position of choosing between A. charging less on Wii U or B. charging $10 more than the already-more-popular-on-Nintendo-systems first party titles, a lot of them are going to go with option C, and not support the platform.

Yeah, that makes sense.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2011, 03:23:10 PM »
Look at PCs.  Especially someplace like Steam.  PC game prices are highly variable compared to all other medias.

Even for physical media, you never see PC games released for over $50... unless it's console trash that no one really wants, like Call of Duty.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2011, 03:35:30 PM »
Even for physical media, you never see PC games released for over $50... unless it's console trash that no one really wants, like Call of Duty.
Not tha point I was making but, since you openned that can of worms.  Anyone remember back in the days of Floppy where Computers really shined for game experiences?  It would not be unheard of to see an $80 game for PC back then which adjusted for inflation... be the Equivalent of ~120 bucks.

No one would pay that much for a PC game anymore though people will pay vastly more than that for Productivity software.  I mean Adobe CS5 Creative Suite Student Edition is $455 on Amazon.  Not to mention having a setup that will make that software not clunk around.

PC Software prices wildly swing around even in the gaming arena.  I mean to get fully into WoW cost $86 in software alone.  Thats not taking in account $15 a month subscription (or $12 if you do it 6 months at a time.)  Though you can find really compelling experience for Free on the computer.  I do agree though prices in general on PC releases have gone down and stabilized generally under $50.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2011, 03:52:51 PM »
IMO, you see more variable pricing on PC because if the games weren't priced like that, the PC gamers would just steal them.  But like Ceric noted, you still see plenty of software on PC that's charged at or above console game prices, as well as plenty of games that cost less at the outset but charge a continual subscription fee, so it's more expensive in the end.

>howzabout no on the name calling?<
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:58:10 AM by UncleBob »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2011, 08:09:56 PM »

I was surprised by how different the user reviews are on Amazon for the PC version of COD games versus the console version. The reviews for the console versions of COD are usually overwhelmingly positive, but the PC version reviews are overwhelmingly negative. Its weird because its supposed to be the same game.
is your sanity...

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »

I was surprised by how different the user reviews are on Amazon for the PC version of COD games versus the console version. The reviews for the console versions of COD are usually overwhelmingly positive, but the PC version reviews are overwhelmingly negative. Its weird because its supposed to be the same game.

That's because Hell hath no fury like a PC gamer who thinks his game has been ruined by concessions made in a game for console players.  Elite PC gamers believe their games would have larger maps, faster load times, more options, and smoother gameplay if not for the low performance and clumsy controllers of consoles.  And they're generally right.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2011, 08:44:10 PM »
Don't forget that PC gamers remember a time when the FPS genre was actually fun, instead of all generic military shooters.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2011, 08:51:05 PM »
Don't forget that PC gamers remember a time when the FPS genre was actually fun, instead of all generic military shooters.

I wouldn't mind military shooters so much if they weren't all trying to copy one another and if they would try to explore different eras of history besides just WW2 and modern warfare. I want to see a Medieval Warfare with bows and crossbows and swords and ****.
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 08:51:47 PM »
IMO, you see more variable pricing on PC because if the games weren't priced like that, the PC gamers would just steal them.

Just like any console gamer would. It's far easier to pop in a modchip or flash your optical drive's firmware than it is to disable SecuROM, juggle virtual disc drives, apply cracked executables, and find private servers to play on.

But like Ceric noted, you still see plenty of software on PC that's charged at or above console game prices, as well as plenty of games that cost less at the outset but charge a continual subscription fee, so it's more expensive in the end.

More expensive in the end? Hardly! In this case, we're talking about World of Warcraft. MMOs are the exception to the rule when it comes to monthly fees (which the rare console MMO also has, ontop of things like Xbox Live). Let's also not forget that Warcraft has several expansion packs factored into that cost. Those are add-ons that would have be separate, full-priced sequels on any console.

What Celtic pointed out is no less true for consoles. I remember seeing plenty of SNES games retailing for $70-$80 back in the day.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 08:52:13 PM »

Yeah, remember when we didn't have all those soldiers or space marine FPS games like Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Battlefield, Medal of Honor- OH WAIT.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 09:34:35 PM »
Yeah but your forgetting ones like Serious Sam.  Their have been different medieval and magic FPSs on PC.  Then their is also the whole mod seen.  I mean literally the only reason I owned a copy of Half Life was for Counter Strike.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2011, 10:09:18 PM »

I wouldn't mind military shooters so much if they weren't all trying to copy one another and if they would try to explore different eras of history besides just WW2 and modern warfare. I want to see a Medieval Warfare with bows and crossbows and swords and ****.

Actually this game will met all your barbaric needs. Mount and Blade will have you ask what is best in life and you will reply "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." It can be played completely in first person and has all the "Medieval Warfare with bows and crossbows and swords and ****." This game will never go to console.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2011, 12:35:58 PM »
Most third party games are going to be multiplatform.  It seems very unlikely that we would see the same game released on all three systems but with the Wii U version being $10 less so the price for most games will be $60.

What's funny is that while complaints are made about PS360 games being more expensive, they really aren't in the long run.  Games on those systems drop in price fairly quickly so it isn't hard to find titles that are about a year old for $30.  But since most of the good Wii games are first party they stay at $50 forever.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2011, 12:43:35 PM »
Most third party games are going to be multiplatform.  It seems very unlikely that we would see the same game released on all three systems but with the Wii U version being $10 less so the price for most games will be $60.

What's funny is that while complaints are made about PS360 games being more expensive, they really aren't in the long run.  Games on those systems drop in price fairly quickly so it isn't hard to find titles that are about a year old for $30.  But since most of the good Wii games are first party they stay at $50 forever.
You know I own a PS3 and everyone keeps saying that but, I have yet to find that particular fact to be true.  Can people link me a series of good games that dropped price like that?  I wanted the second Ratchet and Clank on the PS3, I got the first with the newest Dual Shock in blue it was only 10 more then the game alone, but, I have never got it because it only this year got to $30.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2011, 01:10:06 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately I think first party games will be listed at $50, and 3rd party at 60 dollars as well. That seems to be where the industry is going as much as I don't like it. I wouldn't even guarantee the $50 price tag for Nintendo since they are showing with 3DS they have no problem raising the prices to $40 for handheld games.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 01:11:36 PM »
I got the Game of the Year edition of Uncharted 2 for $30 new about 16 months after the game was first release. It typically depends on the game. I recently got Dead Space 2 for $40 a few weeks ago and that came out in January. I don't believe it was a special sale because it was still $40 as of Saturday.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2011, 01:20:58 PM »
Iwata talks about WiiU
How it came to be, 3rd Party Devs & Game Pricing
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35336/Iwata_Wii_U_Planning_Started_Immediately_After_Wii_Release.php
<snip>
"I think there is already some indication that the [current pricing] trend is going to stay here," he says. "When you consider some of the most popular franchise – such as Call of Duty or Madden - the publishers can afford to affix a rather expensive price tag on that because the franchise has a premium value. On the other hand, … without an established franchise, they cannot afford to keep that expensive price tag. I believe there will be a wider price range."

Some games may cost $60 and other may not.
As I "predicted" in the other thread,
"Core franchises might cost HD premium while Casual/Youth/Family games may range from standard to budget pricing"

Offline Despicable

• Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
Of what I understand the Wii U is just a new controller with a touch screen maybe not though. If it is also a system probably $60 since the games are HD now. ;)
Dad I'm in Space

I'm Proud of You Son

Dad are you in Space?

Yes now we are Family again.