Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 457504 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2012, 03:24:42 PM »

As long as they keep Wolf. :(

Wolf will be safe since he's mostly a unique character and is a villain.  Sakurai even said one of the reasons he included Wolf because he wanted more villains playable.  Falco on the other hand I could see getting the boot if Sakurai feels Star Fox doesn't deserve 3 characters anymore since he's much closer to Fox moveset then Wolf is and is just another hero character so he's not filling any minority quotas.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2012, 03:40:47 PM »

As long as they keep Wolf. :(

Wolf will be safe since he's mostly a unique character and is a villain.  Sakurai even said one of the reasons he included Wolf because he wanted more villains playable.  Falco on the other hand I could see getting the boot if Sakurai feels Star Fox doesn't deserve 3 characters anymore since he's much closer to Fox moveset then Wolf is and is just another hero character so he's not filling any minority quotas.
Thats not true.  What about the Birds and Anthropomorphic Minority.  In fact we need the exact opposite.  More Star Fox to fill that Quota.  No Discrimination.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2012, 04:31:46 PM »
Sakurai needs to start updating the SmashBrosDojo again.  It needs to become the official site for the new Smash games.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »
Smash Dojo was the official site for Brawl, it probably will be for the next Smash game too. It's too early to start updating though since the game is just barely started (Sakurai said development wasn't gonna start till KI:U was finished).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2012, 09:04:49 PM »
The Smash Dojo was a cool way to connect to fans but this time around, I'd prefer Sakurai go on radio silence for the majority of development. There's almost no way to avoid info if he's updating every weekday. I like being surprised.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2012, 11:40:07 PM »
The Smash Dojo was a cool way to connect to fans but this time around, I'd prefer Sakurai go on radio silence for the majority of development. There's almost no way to avoid info if he's updating every weekday. I like being surprised.
I agree.  Smash Dojo is almost Single Handedly why I'm so disappointed with Brawl initially.  He had pretty much already blown his load.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2012, 12:05:12 AM »
I loved the Smash Dojo, getting a taste of the game made it easier to wait for it
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2012, 12:38:08 AM »
I agree.  Smash Dojo is almost Single Handedly why I'm so disappointed with Brawl initially.  He had pretty much already blown his load.

Then just don't check the updates.  The Smash Dojo lead to Japan Time which was the greatest promotion in gaming history.  Every night at 2-3 (depending on the time of year) was basically Christmas for gamers, always wondering what the next update would be.  Not to mention how insane the internet would go when we got new characters revealed.

Of course because of all the excitement I can see how hard it can be for people to avoid the updates because they'll be talked about everywhere.  But then again, both Melee and Brawl had their rosters leaked weeks before the final game came out so in reality you'll all end up having the game spoiled before you play it anyway.  Not to mention both Melee and Brawl were released in Japan before America so even if someone doesn't leak the roster, as soon as that game is released in Japan the floodgates will open anyway, so unless you guys live in Japan, you'll have everything spoiled early no matter what, even if the Dojo didn't exist.

For Smash Bros, the series is just to powerful to keep quite.  In order to truly avoid any info before release, you'll have to literally live in the woods and not talk to any other humans until the very day the games released in North America.  For the rest of us though, bring on the Dojo because I want more Japan Time.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2012, 01:04:02 AM »
No franchise is too powerful to keep quiet, especially from a company a secretive as Nintendo. If Sakurai went on radio silence, we would know nothing until he wanted us to know. Avoiding a leaked roster a week or 2 before release is much easier than avoiding bits of information officially released every weekday for like a year.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2012, 01:05:20 AM »
Something about seeing Luigi Dude post about Smash Bros always brings a smile to my face... good times.

Anyway, slightly disappointed that no one has offered any representative from Advance Wars (not that I think the chances are that great, but surely I'm not the only one who loves that series and would like to see it get some representation in Smash).
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2012, 02:05:59 AM »
Like Luigidude said, every day was Christmas with Brawl updates! The only real spoilers were characters and stages, majority of the time it was music, items, and special moves from established characters.

I don't see how anyone could be disappointed unless they didn't like the actual gameplay. It's Smash Bros, you know what you are getting, and how long does the surprise of unlocking a brand new character last? To me it's just a novelty, and a character being revealed to me online or through actual gameplay is exactly the same. And seriously stay away from the website and all Smash discussions. Nearly impossible but if one get's spoiled it's more or less there own fault. Sakurai even hid specific spoilers, he went so far as to give you one more chance just in case you clicked the link, hahaha.

What I love about characters being revealed to me early is that I always envision how I will play this character to his or her fullest potential. That feeling of anticipation is rivaled by nothing! Which is absolutely nothing like spoiling story elements from a story driven game.

All my brother ever wanted in smash was Dedede. I remember one morning he woke me up so early before school and just started screaming at me to come and look at the computer! Who doesn't love those moments? Are you just going to wait until you see a commercial and have it spoil 4 or 5 brand new characters like that? It's better with the dojo, because then you can feed off the excitement of everyone else and have memorable conversations to get you even more hyped.

But it's been almost half a decade since the last Smash and we are all much more grown up and cynical. So I'm expecting people(on this site any way) to be super skeptical about everything until they actually play the game. I know a few of us(by us I mean all of you and not me) on this site pretty much said Brawl was their last smash. Not me however, love to play party like and competitively. So with a near guarantee of a much more robust and smooth online experience I know I will get almost everything I want out of the next installment.   
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »
I don't see how anyone could be disappointed unless they didn't like the actual gameplay. It's Smash Bros, you know what you are getting, and how long does the surprise of unlocking a brand new character last? To me it's just a novelty, and a character being revealed to me online or through actual gameplay is exactly the same. And seriously stay away from the website and all Smash discussions. Nearly impossible but if one get's spoiled it's more or less there own fault. Sakurai even hid specific spoilers, he went so far as to give you one more chance just in case you clicked the link, hahaha.
That's why. Yeah, you can try but good luck with that. Every topic on these boards gets derailed. You can't avoid this information unless you just give up going on the internet and talking to people.

You asked how long the surprise of unlocking a brand new character is. My answer: About as long as any other surprise in a game is (with the exception of something of the magnitude of Aeris' death). I appreciate it more when I don't know. For example, Geno's cameo in Superstar Saga meant more to me because it was a complete surprise and that didn't affect the game whatsoever. It's hard to explain that sense of discovery.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2012, 05:33:25 PM »
It's hard to explain that sense of discovery.

No I understand completely actually, I should have spoken with more empathy. Because I would have felt the same way about Gen in M&L if someone spoiled it for me.

I guess for me fighting games are a held in a completely different regard. I think everyone knew that Falco would save Fox in Adventures, though a friend of mine didn't. if I told him before hand he would be pissed. I guess a better example is James leading Fox out of Venom, that was epic and being that young, nothing would have prepared me for that surprise. But again for me these are story driven elements. For fighting games or racing games I personally love to know who is in right way, since there is no sequence of events that could truly break the game for me since it's almost nothing but gameplay to look forward too.

So enough about all that, here is what we know. Supposedly both the 3DS and U versions will be worked on at the same time. Brawl is being ported over to Wii U and 3DS as a starting templet, and they've only just started working on the game early last month or february, when ever the heck Uprising went gold. I completely expect a short interview at the very least, but does anyone expect a CGI teaser trailer? Not even gameplay as that would be too soon, but maybe a 15-30 seconds of brand new concepts and a few new characters? I hope hope hope hope so, but to be perfectly realistic nah. Love to hear someone elses thoughts.

Last thing for all you Japanese speakers, is there anyone willing to keep translate Sakurai's twitter from time to time? It's rarely smash related, but it gives me insight into his mind and what I can predict for the next smash.
https://twitter.com/#!/Sora_Sakurai
Edit: Actually my browser did a rough translation for me. God he posts a lot. Hopefully he slips out some smash info! Let's blitz him with Ridley and Geno recommendations! And only those 2! Everyone else is pretty much a given.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:01:17 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2012, 06:13:57 PM »
We may get a CG teaser at E3 similar to what Nintendo back in 2006 with Brawl.

Best case scenario is that Nintendo, realizing how important it is to get Smash Bros. out as soon as possible, started quietly recruiting talent and putting a team together last year and began pre-production with Sakurai overseeing their progress but focusing on finishing Kid Icarus Uprising. That would have allowed Sakurai and the rest of Project Sora to jump right in and ramp up development last month when Uprising went gold. Again, best case scenario.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2012, 06:35:42 PM »
Yeah, I think we can easily see a CGI or more likely a real time video of what the game will be like.  The reason is simple Smash Bros will be a great chance for Nintendo in one single video show gamers what all of Nintendo's characters and worlds could look like in HD.  In fact if Nintendo spent time really doing HD right...then many characters will have different designs adding details to the mix. 

I want to see Donkey Kong and Pikachu with fur textures.  I want to see vein textures in the pikmin to make them look more like plants.  I what to cloth textures in the jeans and clothes of Mario and Link. 

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2012, 12:11:46 AM »
I would hope that they do a tease for Smash Bros. this E3, after all, if they're going to mention it lightly last E3, the crowds are going to be hyped. If it's even like the silly Brawl video, it'll be A-okay with me. However, I doubt they'll have any of the character models ready by that point, so those brief bursts of gameplay we saw in the original Brawl video won't be happening.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2012, 01:20:20 AM »
They'll probably show a short 30 second CGI teaser with Mario and Link fighting then some major third party character will show up at the end.  This will cause the crowd to go wild even though Nintendo didn't have to show any real footage which will be a win/win for them.

Then at their big Fall conference they have every year in either September or October we'll get the first real trailer with real gameplay characters and stages.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2012, 06:15:45 AM »
It will never happen, but the Battletoads and TMNT would make good additions to the next Smash Brothers game.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline millerball

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2012, 07:09:40 AM »
I don't think they'll have any third party characters at all this time. Imagine how much of a pain in the ass it will be for them in ten years to make new deals with Konami and Sega just to be able to release brawl on the successor to WiiU. If they keep it 100% Nintendo characters they can re-release the games as they please until the end of time.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »
Considering how re-release crazy Nintendo is, I would hope they had the foresight to negotiate those terms in the first place. In Konami's case especially, Nintendo held all of the cards since Kojima asked Sakurai to include Solid Snake. Since Smash Bros.is Nintendo's IP, they should be able to re-release the game indefinitely.

I still think it would be a good idea for Nintendo to make 2 games: Smash Bros. and a Vs. game.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2012, 01:35:14 PM »
Don't know if this means anything, but Nintendo was able to re-release DKC2 without having to alter or remove the Chief Thunder poster in Cranky's Museums.

Chief Thunder, you will remember, is from Rare's Killer Instinct, a property which Rare, not Nintendo, owned

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2012, 07:44:50 PM »
Well since Smash Bros is such a huge series, I don't think Nintendo has much of a problem negotiating deals with third parties for it.  If Sega and Konami cause trouble for any re-release of Brawl, Nintendo can easily ban Snake and Sonic from future Smash Bros.  Since Smash Bros is currently bigger then Metal Gear and Sonic, it would be rather foolish for either company to mess with Nintendo since Smash Bros is pretty much the biggest advertisment to both.

Of course if Microsoft or Sony were to buy either third party then we get into legal hell.

Don't know if this means anything, but Nintendo was able to re-release DKC2 without having to alter or remove the Chief Thunder poster in Cranky's Museums.

Chief Thunder, you will remember, is from Rare's Killer Instinct, a property which Rare, not Nintendo, owned

That was such a small thing that's easy to look over that I doubt anyone even remembered at Nintendo or Rare.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2012, 06:46:05 PM »
I'd be a betting man that Sakurai is gonna make a drive to have GameCube controller support for the next Smash. It wouldn't be difficult at all to create a dongle/adapter that plugs into a usb slot on the console - and on this dongle/adapter would be 4 'Cube controller ports. And it'll be packed in with the next Smash, too.

The tourney crowd is gonna want it, and I'm sure Sakurai has this built into the back of his mind as he and his team develop the next game.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2012, 07:38:28 PM »
I don't really see that happening...I see the use of the classic controller Pro, but not double dipping into the Gamecube controller again.  It just isn't needed. 

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2012, 07:51:43 PM »
I highly disagree. The CCPro is a GameCube controller NOT. The placement of that control stick is vitally important to how Smash feels and plays. Serious Smashers know this, and I assure you Sakurai knows this, too. If Nintendo can stick a 3DS stand in with a flagship title, then it most certainly can manufacture and ship a USB/GameCube controller port with Smash.

Trust me. It is needed. Hundreds of thousands of Smash fans will agree with me on this.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!