Author Topic: Kirby's Epic Yarn  (Read 50329 times)

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Kirby's Epic Yarn
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2010, 11:11:54 PM »
^if you enjoyed wario land shake it, am pretty sure you r gonna like this game.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2010, 11:58:19 PM »
The level where you control Kirby as a Train... eh. Don't like it. That kind of control method works better on a DS/3DS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 21, 2010, 02:18:12 AM »
Once I figured out how far underneath Kirby I had to place the tracks, I thought it worked fine. What didn't you like about it?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 21, 2010, 11:45:15 AM »
Just the control method, as in the pointing at the screen to draw tracks. It's very similar to that game "Max and the Magic Marker", and I still say that it's a control mechanic that should not be used for any Wii game.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #204 on: October 21, 2010, 12:18:56 PM »
It reminded me of Canvas Curse, so I loved it.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 21, 2010, 12:29:05 PM »
It reminded me of Canvas Curse too.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 21, 2010, 06:00:50 PM »
What is it that doesn't work about the control method? I found nothing wrong with it. I haven't played Max and the Magic Marker so the comparison doesn't help me.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 21, 2010, 08:41:31 PM »
Story mode complete. 10h:12m:42s at 80%.

9.5/10

What is it that doesn't work about the control method? I found nothing wrong with it. I haven't played Max and the Magic Marker so the comparison doesn't help me.

This is hard for me to explain, but I will try. I was drawing the tracks in one stroke because I was thinking with the imposition of a limit that a game like Canvas Curse, and Max and the Magic Marker makes with how much ink one can use. This is neither of those games, so then I can draw continuously... what a dummy I am, huh?

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #208 on: October 21, 2010, 10:38:23 PM »
Well, about a second after you finish laying down new track, the old one disappears.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 21, 2010, 11:36:50 PM »
I know.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 22, 2010, 12:22:42 PM »
I completed in Co-Op with a friend at 74%  Got all the bonus levels but not all the apartment mini games.  Took 9:30 hrs.  Fairly short but I think I'll go back and collect more once a guide shows up so I can figure out how to get all the apartment mates.  Love the shmup levels.  I would totally buy a Yarn Shmup game from good feel.  But I'm a bullet hell fanatic.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 22, 2010, 07:17:38 PM »
Well, about a second after you finish laying down new track, the old one disappears.
Then just make sure to start the new track underneath Kirbtrain's current position.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #212 on: October 22, 2010, 07:42:54 PM »
Well, yeah.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 23, 2010, 01:03:46 AM »
I went back to that stage to get the gold medal, and it worked out fine for me. I did find out that eventually the tracks do run out, but long enough to satisfy me.

I already feel like playing Kirby's Epic Yarn 2. It's good that I have other games to play, otherwise I would sink in more time with this game.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 23, 2010, 01:14:34 AM »
Well, yeah.
Then I don't understand what you find wrong with it.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #215 on: October 23, 2010, 09:06:45 PM »
Well, yeah.
Then I don't understand what you find wrong with it.

...Nothing?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 23, 2010, 09:35:04 PM »
lol

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 23, 2010, 10:07:35 PM »
I never know what's going on.

Are you not the person who said they didn't like the control method? I thought that was you.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #218 on: October 23, 2010, 10:47:33 PM »
That was Caliban.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 24, 2010, 01:43:57 AM »
lol oh Mop it up...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 24, 2010, 09:15:47 PM »
Looking back, I see where I got you two confused. It would appear Caliban changed his mind and no longer thinks the control method doesn't work, so because he said that, I must have thought Halbred was the one who said it didn't work. I should have checked the posts sooner but I was being lazy.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 25, 2010, 01:14:01 AM »
I'd just like to bop in and say that I love this game. It might be one of the first games in a long time that I've felt extremely compelled to 100%.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 25, 2010, 10:10:42 AM »
I finally got to start playing this over the weekend.  It's a blast, though, thus far, it seems to be a little easier to get gold medals and collect all the items than I would have expected.   Still, it's just fun to see the craftsmanship in the level design, and the soundtrack is very pleasant.  Love it, and I love the 2D platforming renaissance on the Wii in general.

I was hoping to get my wife to play co-op with me; normally, she would, but she's surprisingly disinterested in this game.  Maybe that will change.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #223 on: October 25, 2010, 04:35:38 PM »
I'm heading into the final level tonight. The only thing that bugs me about the game is the focus on useless interior decorating. I'd much rather buy concept art than new wallpaper. While the game is overall quite easy, there are some surprisingly difficult parts. Getting gold medals on a small number of stages is surprisingly hard, and some of the stage challenges can be tough--especially the Carrie missions!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 25, 2010, 05:37:53 PM »
It's a blast, though, thus far, it seems to be a little easier to get gold medals and collect all the items than I would have expected.
I know what you mean, I'm a little disappointed at how easy most of the medals and treasures are. I was expecting them to be more along the lines of the achievements in Wario Land Shake It!, but as it is, there's a lot more beads than you need and in most levels you can pick all your beads back up if you happen to get hit. Bosses are especially easy, since there's no way to lose against them and beads just get strewn about the arena and can be easily scooped up again.