Author Topic: Sega Announces Sonic Colors for the Wii.  (Read 17627 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Sega Announces Sonic Colors for the Wii.
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 02:27:34 AM »
I was talking with Thatguy at the show floor and he told me I had to try it out. I was pretty darn impressed, it felt very solid, actual platforming, and if I wantrd to stop and turn around I could.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 11:29:32 AM »
I was at a local book store and saw a write up in NP about the Wii version (the DS version gets some mention). The Colors team at Sega is a mix of both the Secret Rings and Black Knight teams, according to Iizuka.

So are we in the green zone of the Sonic Cycle right now?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 12:22:40 PM »
We're in the "I've played all the Sonic games on the floor, and this one actually wowed me, while the others... not so much," zone of the Sonic cycle.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 04:04:13 PM »
Would be kinda funny if the official numbered sequel failed while another spinoff succeeded, eh?

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Chronicles 2
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 07:35:51 PM »
The guy who did the voice work for Chris Refield in Resident Evil5 is now doing the voice work for Somic the Hedgehog in Sonic Colors and future titles.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2010, 12:04:27 PM »
So according to some (wait for it...) SEGA PR guy, Colors is for the kiddies while the 4th game is for the (wait for it!) hard-core crowd.

Forget the source, but hori shitto SEGA, when you have a good game on your hands staring Sonic, don't **** it up with insulting the people who may buy it (aka me).

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »
New trailer is up.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=132524

November 16th is the release date.

I'm liking the level design and enviroments.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 04:59:31 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 02:34:42 AM »
Yeah but I don't like the music. We'll see, I'm guessing it will be at least decent but I doubt it'll be better than that.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2010, 03:47:28 AM »
Still looks fun so far. Makes me wonder if Tails is actually playable this time around.

RomanceDawn

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2010, 12:55:39 PM »
Oh god that song is just dripping with teeny-pop cheese...

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 05:12:10 PM »
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=136595

Well there is some gameplay from the TGS. Also it has been confirmed that these are the controllers you can use.Wiimote and Nunchuk,Classic Controller,Gamecube, and Wiimote by itself.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2010, 12:45:32 PM »
The 2-D segments in the first video remind me of the Legacy titles, in that they don't blast you forward all the time. Looks like they perfected the Secret Rings/Black Knight formula.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 03:35:25 PM »
I like seeing Sonic just put to a complete stop. It's nice watching that guy trying to figure out how to blast all the way up that structure. Rather then a constant run run never stop mechanic, though thats fun it shouldn't be everywhere in every stage.

RomanceDawn

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 02:00:14 PM »
The latest entry to the list of games with a special edition that includes plastic models = Sonic Colours in Europe and Australia.

Why Sega thinks this will help to drive sales I do not know. Nevertheless, I am very mildly anticipating this game, because it could be fun. Not willing to give it more than that for now.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 03:18:29 PM »
At least the figure is poseable, that's a good step above the usual special edition tat.

The goal of special editions is not to drive sales but to wring more money out of the hardcore section of your fanbase. Note how it's aimed at Europe and Australia, areas with a large Sonic fanbase.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
New Trailer will make you want this game.
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2010, 02:33:43 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zzoA1pOLf4

I like how Tails is seen everywhere in the story but not playable. Oh well, but this game really does look like it will be worth getting. 2 players actually looks like fun as well. Looks like Sega did a good job listening to my critique at E3. I guess you could say that I and I alone saved Sonic. Good for me.

If it bombs I blame Sega for listening to the fans, including me.

This co-op could actually be the start of real Sonic/Tails Co-op in the future. My dream co-op Mario and DK games have become reality, heres hoping for Sonic!

RomanceDawn

Online Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2010, 07:43:12 PM »
No wonder this game looks like it'll actually be good.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/112/1127004p2.html

"From a general game design perspective, in recent years we've been able to introduce Sonic to new fans, a lot of the Nintendo/Mario fans, and because of that, we've made changes to the design, and we've designed things in Sonic Colours that we think will really appeal to people who are unfamiliar with the Sonic brand and the Sonic gameplay. So from that perspective we hope that fans of Mario will really be able to enjoy playing as Sonic in Sonic Colours."

It sounds like Sega FINALLY looked at why the 3D Mario games work so great and realized it was possible to make a great 3D Sonic as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2010, 08:40:11 PM »
3D Sonic games could've been good, except Sega of Japan.

And Yuji Naka.

AND SONIC X-TREME.

:T

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2010, 01:23:16 PM »
Sega put out the latest trailer a little while ago. It features the remaining Wisp power-ups that were not playable at any of the media events (Purple Frenzy, Blue Block, Green Hover and Pink Spike).

Looking snazzy, Sonic Colours. Then again, there have been bad Sonic games that looked good in pre-release trailers, so I'm still taking all this with a pinch of salt. I certainly won't write it off though, because I'm liking the range of Wisps available, and if the level design accommodates them well, we may have an interesting Sonic game this year, which I've heard STH4 is not so much.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
Sega has new sonic strategy
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2010, 02:03:26 AM »
http://wii.ign.com/articles/113/1130518p1.html

SEGA doesn't want to make any more bad Sonic games.

That's the point SEGA West CEO Mike Hayes, who oversees North America and European development, drove home during an interview with IGN last week. He said the company is making sure it will listen to what fans want going forward.

"It's all part of a general strategy with Sonic where we are passionate about getting Sonic back up to the quality levels we've had historically," Hayes explained. "We've gone through a major segmentation analysis of Sonic and where it would appeal to the different fans."

Haynes explained the company is driving its Sonic brand at different audiences for the different platforms. The company released Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I on numerous platforms earlier this month. It will also release Sonic Colors for Wii and DS and Sonic Free Riders for Kinect in November.

"On the Wii and Nintendo DS, we're driving those brands to the younger audience," he said. "We have our Mario and Sonic brands that are very mass-market. Then we have our brands where we will focus on our SEGA and Sonic loyalists and we made the decision there to listen to what their feedback is."

"We delayed the launch of Sonic 4 to make sure we got that as right as we could and we're still listening because as we progress the series we want to make sure we get that right."

Hayes explained the SEGA is even approaching development of its Sonic titles differently depending on the target audience.

"Where I think we provide Sonic for a younger audience, there we have to take innovation ourselves and try and understand and work out what will be the best game for a more 8 to 12 year old audience," he said. "For the core fans, we definitely want to hear what they have to say about Sonic."

"It's just such a vital brand for us, and the most important thing is to get relevant quality, and that's what we're going to spend a lot of time and money doing over the next three or more years to get right."

Sonic 4 is apparently off to a hot start. When asked about the game's overall sales, Hayes did not provide exact unit figures, but said it's tracking a little higher than expected.

"It's absolutely bang on where we wanted it to be on all the formats," he explained.

"This is the whole part of us moving Sonic up the scale to a much better quality product. Fingers crossed; it's actually tracking a little bit ahead of where we expected it to be."

Sonic Colors hits Wii and DS on November 16. Sonic Free Riders will be available on November 4.

Well this is something I am certainly glad to read. Who knows if it will really mean anything in the future. But I love that hey have the balls to come out and say they don't want to make bad Sonic games anymore.

RomanceDawn

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2010, 02:25:39 AM »
The delayed Sonic 4 release was convoluted, though.  They redid two or three stages, the rest were already done well before they announced the delay.  How many months do three stages take?  I'm not trying to be negative, but Sega's marketing keeps referencing that delay, and if anything it was a punishment to fans because someone videotaped something off partnernet and shared it with the world.  There's no way they spent anywhere near five or so months on Sonic 4 from that point back in March or April.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2010, 05:35:52 AM »
"On the Wii and Nintendo DS, we're driving those brands to a younger audience ... work out what will be the best game for an 8 to 12 year old audience."

Precarious statement. Although it isn't always the case, when a developer says something like this, it is often their more subtle way of telling you a game will be easy. It is a shame that the 'child-friendly' tag carries such a connotation, because it doesn't have to be that way. I'm sure I am not the only one who played and completed some punishing games at that age - it is not required for a game to be easy to appeal to a child. The accessibility factor isn't a problem; in fact, it's much preferable for a game to be simple to understand and control. But it should still put up a good fight along the way.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2010, 04:07:53 PM »
"On the Wii and Nintendo DS, we're driving those brands to the younger audience," he said. "We have our Mario and Sonic brands that are very mass-market. Then we have our brands where we will focus on our SEGA and Sonic loyalists and we made the decision there to listen to what their feedback is."
Uh, yeah, Sega? MARIO. AND. SONIC. TOGETHER. IN A GAME. BEFORE BRAWL CAME OUT. and Mario. just Mario.

"Where I think we provide Sonic for a younger audience, there we have to take innovation ourselves and try and understand and work out what will be the best game for a more 8 to 12 year old audience," he said. "For the core fans, we definitely want to hear what they have to say about Sonic."
I heard Sonic fans are about as bad as Zelda  fans and Final Fantasy fans. They bitch about everything good and bad. :/

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2010, 05:14:58 PM »
NP Review: 9.0

Good news is that this one doesn't suffer from 'KEEP RUNNING AND RUN SOME MORE' problem that Sonic Rush levels had, and is surprisingly meaty. Bad news is that boss battles are recycled.

This is Nintendo Power though, so let's wait for NWR/PixlBit/Aussie Nintendo impressions.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2010, 05:21:27 PM »
Why? Nintendo Power is usually pretty good. I haven't heard about people wanting to read PixlBit's reviews.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20