Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 269513 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP
« Reply #1000 on: January 04, 2012, 06:43:35 PM »
I haven't seen any reports of that.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: January 04, 2012, 06:54:15 PM »
It's coming straight from the mouths of gamers in Japan.

I don't know if it's all anecdotal and they didn't see it at their usual store, or of they were physically checking the stores around them and reporting back, but they were saying that there was no retailer wide price drop on Vita.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1002 on: January 04, 2012, 07:40:08 PM »
I mean, where are you seeing reports of gamers saying that? I assume you didn't personally go up and ask any Japanese gamers. The report also says "some" retailers, so that could also explain it. Still, if some are doing it then I expect others to follow suit soon.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: January 04, 2012, 08:41:24 PM »
You can download and file size you want but most data plans for 3G is costly so downloading games would be better if you just used free wi-fi areas and leave the 3G just for emails/online gaming/gps/ect.

Planning on getting just the wi-fi version myself and using my 4G mobile router.  Verizon has better speeds and some better packages for 4G plans, I'm looking at 4GB for $20 (I get $10 off since I'm already an verizon customer).  Beats AT@T plans at $25 for 2GB at 3G speeds.  Best deal for your money in my book.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: January 04, 2012, 09:54:46 PM »
I mean, where are you seeing reports of gamers saying that? I assume you didn't personally go up and ask any Japanese gamers. The report also says "some" retailers, so that could also explain it. Still, if some are doing it then I expect others to follow suit soon.

Just on other forums, Japanese members are saying that stores have not discounted PSV. But maybe a specific retailer or 2 where the pic was taken have since they only had 3G units that no one wanted to buy.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: January 04, 2012, 11:30:54 PM »

Just on other forums, Japanese members are saying that stores have not discounted PSV. But maybe a specific retailer or 2 where the pic was taken have since they only had 3G units that no one wanted to buy.

I suspect that's probably what happeneed. From my understanding, Japanese retailers can't get a refund from overstock, so they tend to be more aggressive about price-cutting merchandise that's not moving as quickly as they expected. I'm having flashbacks to Spirit Tracks being in the bargain bins at various retailers at various times...

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: January 28, 2012, 04:05:52 AM »
Sony revealed today a new, limited edition bundle for the PlayStation Vita that includes a memory card and PSN game.

According to a statement on the PlayStation Blog, a new PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi bundle at launch includes an 8GB Vita memory card, an AT&T DataConnect Pass good for one free 250MB session, and a PlayStation Network game for $299. Sony did not detail what game would be available as part of this bundle.

Didn't say what game though but still not a bad idea to to increase Vita 3G model sales. 

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 28, 2012, 09:09:45 AM »
Sony revealed today a new, limited edition bundle for the PlayStation Vita that includes a memory card and PSN game.

According to a statement on the PlayStation Blog, a new PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi bundle at launch includes an 8GB Vita memory card, an AT&T DataConnect Pass good for one free 250MB session, and a PlayStation Network game for $299. Sony did not detail what game would be available as part of this bundle.

Didn't say what game though but still not a bad idea to to increase Vita 3G model sales. 
Isn't $299 the base price for the 3G model? That deal isn't too bad if you were going to get one.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Gamejunkie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: January 28, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »

The first edition bundle is also now going to include the data connect pass and free PSN game.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: January 28, 2012, 05:21:29 PM »
I be tempted to get the 3G version with the bundle if there was a game I knew I wanted.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: January 28, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »
I be tempted to get the 3G version with the bundle if there was a game I knew I wanted.

There may not be one at launch, but there probably will be one at some point in the future.
is your sanity...

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: February 07, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »
No passport program for the US?  Meaning you'll have to rebuy all your UMD's in order to play them on Vita?  Why do something for one region and not the others?  While I don't need this program since my PSP works I was looking forward to see patches for my PSP games to include dual analog support but now that hope is all but gone.

On a bright note--retailers are just about throwing everything they can to get you to pre-order the VITA.  Was able to lock in an Launch Bundled Vita (comes with 8GB card/250MB data/free PSN game) and Uncharted for $306 with an additional $50 rebate.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: February 07, 2012, 05:24:44 PM »
I am not happy with this announcement of no UMD passport program for U.S. Vita. I only own 2 UMD PSP games (Birth By Sleep and Valkyrie Profile, neither of which are on PSN right now).  I don't know if I'd want to play Birth By Sleep again after playing it with each character for the bonus ending, but I've barely started Valkyrie Profile.  There's a good chance I wouldn't get around to it until I had a Vita.  Well, I guess I'll just keep my PSP now.  Screw Vita.  Aside from Resistance, there's nothing I really want to play on Vita anyway.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1013 on: February 08, 2012, 06:19:26 PM »
With the PS Vita pretty much bombing in Japan, it's a little surprising that they are making the system look even less attractive in other regions. I know why they are doing it (to try and get people to waste money re-buying their games), but it's a stupid idea. I guess I am only surprised because Japan has the feature, otherwise I would have expected it since they didn't do it with the PSP Go either.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: February 08, 2012, 06:31:09 PM »
Japan also got the hardware first. It seems like Sony gives Japan top priority. I guess it is no surprise, considering Sony themselves is headquartered in Japan. Still, gamers in other regions might take offense to that, and if they do its understandable. Why should non-Japanese consumers get pissed on?
is your sanity...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1015 on: February 08, 2012, 08:56:58 PM »
Japan also made up a majority (if not a SUPER-majority) of PSP sales.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: February 09, 2012, 02:24:02 AM »
Japan also made up a majority (if not a SUPER-majority) of PSP sales.

Yes, but that came after Sony gave Japan top billing with that as well. According to Wikipedia PSP launched on December 14, 2004 in Japan which was months ahead of its launch in NA and almost a year before it launched in PAL regions. So it looks like the Vita launch is more or less a repeat of how the PSP's launch went down.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: February 13, 2012, 12:18:45 AM »
So, I played around with it today. It's better awesome, actually.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: February 13, 2012, 01:09:25 AM »
Also seems like Kaz is planning on putting the Vita OS into smart phones and tablets too.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/12/2793065/sony-vita-os-smartphones-tablets
Sony’s soon-to-be President and CEO, Kazuo Hirai, has hinted that the company is investigating porting the Vita OS to other mobile devices like smartphones and tablets. Japanese site AV Watch reported on Friday that Hirai told reporters at a Q&A session that the company doesn’t want us to forget Vita OS as a mobile (i.e. not just gaming) platform. The report goes on to quote SCE’s Senior Vice President Yoshio Matsumoto as saying, "if you’re asking if we’ve made it in a way that’s expandable, so that it’s possible to apply to smartphones and tablets on top of achieving the high responsiveness we need for gaming devices — it is possible," hedging his comment with, "that doesn’t mean that we’re applying it to smartphones and tablets at this point in time, but it’s been designed with expandability in mind."

and of course cell phone games coming to Vita too.
so it's apparently going both ways.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: February 13, 2012, 01:51:51 AM »
I read impressions on the Vita hardware in this month's Game Informer, and I'm really disappointed to read that the Vita does not allow you to use the back touchpad for menu navigation.  You can't use the D-pad or analog nubs for that, either.  That's a big negative for me, as one of the reasons I don't like touch screens is that I don't like to mess up my nice expensive screen with fingerprint smudges (and apparently the Vita attracts smudging like the PS3/PSP's cases attract dust).  I'm definitely waiting for a hardware revision or firmware update that adds that before I pick one up.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: February 13, 2012, 08:11:51 AM »
I can understand not being able to use the rear trackpad for menu navigation because it would be hard to tap specific things without an on-screen indicator (like the screen "bubbling up") of where your finger is though that seems like the solution right there, but not being able to use the d-pad or analog sticks is a very odd choice. I wonder if Sony will ever fix that because it's not necessarily broken, just inconvenient. I don't mind smudging the screen so much as I dislike accidentally tapping the wrong thing.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: February 13, 2012, 08:14:18 AM »
If you are worried about smudges just use a stylus. Problem solved.
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: February 13, 2012, 09:02:19 AM »
Best solution - don't buy the PS Vita. No one else is, anyway. Wait until several months of horrible sales go by, the system gets fully hacked, and the price drops. Then buy one, if you must.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1023 on: February 13, 2012, 06:17:55 PM »
I guess Sony really wanted to have it take off better here than it did in Japan (though it would help if they hadn't removed the UMD Passport program), they plan to spend around $50 million on advertising as it prepares to launch here.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: February 13, 2012, 06:58:50 PM »
Well Sony announced what free "psn" game was coming with the 3G Launch Bundle--Super Stardust Delta and it's DLC pack.  IGN has it's review as well as a few of the other games and more of them in a few more hours.  Uncharted got an 8.5 from the but GS game it an 7.0 :(

Some of the higher rated games where Ulimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Modnation, and Wipeout.  Army Corps and Hotshots hasn't been reviewed yet.

Also, Sony announced Motorstorm RC pricing in Europe at about $7, hopefully this game makes it over here sometime.

Compared to the 3DS this is still the better launchup but it's still lacking an AAA game.