Author Topic: Newscast Game Club Discussion - Mega Man 10  (Read 24420 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Newscast Game Club Discussion - Mega Man 10
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:13:35 AM »
Our second game for the Newscast Game Club is Mega Man 10! It is available now for 1,000 Wii Points ($10), so get your Mega Buster ready to kick some evil robot ass.

Let's see how this game compares to past Mega Man games, see what weapons rock and what ones suck, what levels are crazy hard and what ones are crazy easy, and if Wily still is raising his eyebrows after all these years.

So everyone can be surprised, let's not keep the hidden third character under spoiler tags, and also keep other relevant spoilers under them as well. Though I think it's safe to say that Dr. Wily is behind it all. He always is.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Newscast Game Club Discussion - Mega Man 10
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 01:17:43 PM »
I, vudu, do solemnly swear not to cheat by looking up robot master order, boss weaknesses, or hidden item locations.  I vow to complete the game either unassisted or--if that fails--with the help of fellow NWR members.  Modern gaming has not softened my reflexes, patience or determination.

Copy, paste and replace with your name unless you're a complete pansy.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 01:23:39 PM »
I, Neal, do solemnly swear not to cheat by looking up robot master order, boss weaknesses, or hidden item locations.  I vow to complete the game either unassisted or--if that fails--with the help of fellow NWR members.  Modern gaming has not softened my reflexes, patience or determination.

I might cheat and look up who the third character is. That's all.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 01:28:41 PM »
I, DrewMG, do solemnly swear not to cheat by looking up robot master order, boss weaknesses, or hidden item locations.  I vow to complete the game either unassisted or--if that fails--with the help of fellow NWR members.  Modern gaming has not softened my reflexes, patience or determination.

I also promise to get further in this game than I got in Mega Man 9.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 01:59:56 PM »
I, Halbred, do solemnly swear not to cheat by looking up robot master order, boss weaknesses, or hidden item locations.  I vow to complete the game either unassisted or--if that fails--with the help of fellow NWR members.  Modern gaming has not softened my reflexes, patience or determination.

Basically, to beat this the same way I almost beat Mega Man 9 (damn you, Wily's third form!!!)

(my secret shame)
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 02:13:08 PM »
Ugh...Wily's third form in MM9 is such a bitch...

I hate that I won't be able to download this game until late tonight. I do know that I probably won't be getting a good night's sleep, though.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 03:22:32 PM »
My original save in MM9 got to Wily's Castle, but never made it far into that part of the game. I recently started over and am almost caught up. I might try to finish it this time before downloading MM10. But realistically, I probably won't be able to wait. ;-)
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 06:29:56 PM »
It is available now for 1,000 Wii Points ($10), so get your Mega Buster ready to kick some evil robot ass.
Little Mario is running across my television screen collecting a seemingly endless stream of coins right now. 

Grrrr ... why's it always seem to get stuck on the last coin box?  He's been hitting that damn thing for like 45 seconds straight.

EDIT: 
So everyone can be surprised, let's not keep the hidden third character under spoiler tags, and also keep other relevant spoilers under them as well.
If you're intent on avoiding spoilers be sure to avoid 1UP--I just had the hidden character spoiled for me.  Probably best to avoid the entire Internet for a while.

EDIT #2:  For what it's worth, the intro music rocks my socks off.

EDIT #3:  OH SNAP--I completely forgot this game has a difficulty setting.  Suffice to say, if you play on easy I'm going to make fun of you.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:39:21 PM by vudu »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:09:10 PM »
I, noname2200, do solemnly swear that I am a total pansy who lost his gaming skills long, long ago, and who knows that he will never in his life beat this game, although he will reach the last level and then admit defeat.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 07:38:01 PM »
It's Roll, isn't it?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 07:59:58 PM »
I, Shaymin, do solemnly swear not to cheat by looking up robot master order, boss weaknesses, or hidden item locations.  I vow to complete the game on Normal either unassisted or--if that fails--with the help of fellow NWR members.  Modern gaming has not softened my reflexes, patience or determination.

I had to resort to a walkthrough for MM9 and I felt emasculated.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 08:08:51 PM »
Jeez--it took me six guesses before I finally found the "easy" first boss.  I hate guessing games.

By the way, I also have a "no E-tank" rule.  But I don't expect any of you to follow this rule unless you're real gamers.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 08:19:01 PM »
I'm old. I'm going to rely on my E-Tanks. Now, W-Tanks, that's another story. That's a cheatin' man's way out.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 08:26:21 PM »
Wow.  Tried the first three stages on the top row and this game completely kicked my ass.  Go figure.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 08:31:37 PM »
What's a W-tank?  I collected one but haven't got a clue what it does.  Is it like an M-tank?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 08:33:21 PM »
It refills your weapon energy. I do not know if it refills just one or all of your weapons, I haven't used one.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 08:44:04 PM »
I might accidentally mean M-Tank. Whichever one fills your weapon energy. It's been a long day.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 08:59:43 PM »
I downloaded it on my Wii when I had a chance to stop by my dorm earlier. I'm at work until late...and it's torture.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 09:19:41 PM »
I, Mop it up, will do whatever I mopping feel like, because I play games to have fun.

Since I'm sort of a long-time Mega Man enthusiast with Mega Man 1, 2, and 3 being some of the few NES games I grew up with, I couldn't resist downloading this game today. I may have made a mistake.

I beat the 8 robots and am now on Wily's porch. I picked the stage before I quit to hear the music, and it is definitely the worst Wily Castle music I've ever heard, I wondered if I were playing some Castlevania reject. The music is pretty blah and forgettable, it's quite a mess and sounds like it was created by wanna-be Mega Man composers. I'll wait until some fans make some remixes before shunning it entirely, as some of MM9's bland music was actually pretty good when composed with not-8-bit instruments.

The option to choose Proto Man is nice, despite that he stole moves that Mega Man used to know. I chose him just to switch things up, though it looks like none of the "achievement" type of stuff is available to him (and also not on Easy anyway). The slide move doesn't seem very useful, I actually forget that it is there. This is probably because the game was designed for Mega Man, who has no slide. The stage designs contain the same cheap tricks as in MM9 (or would if I didn't choose Easy), though they seem even more bland and formulaic than before. Some styles don't match the featured robots either, like Sheep Man's binary level. Shouldn't it be a farm or something? In any case, I need to play on Normal before I judge the stages properly.

Mega Man 10 has the most lolz-worthy robots since Mega Man 4. Considering that Sheep Man was the first one revealed, I expected this. Strike Man? I actually expected this guy to have something to do with "strike" as in "hit," but no. It's a robot shaped like a baseball catcher who throws baseballs. His weapon is a baseball. It bounces. Whee. Then there's Commando Man. Seriously? I sure hope he's wearing underpants. Where's Hippie Man to give me his weakness? That boss is right up there with Hard Man and Flash Man in terms of bad names. Pump Man had me burst out with laughter. He has an old-style ground water pump on his head that he must pump to create a water shield. I guess such a clearly cheaply-made robot is a sign of the hard economic times of the year 20XX.

Most weapons are lame and have very few uses other than for their respective robots, there's nothing cool like the Tornado Blow or Hornet Chaser here. It's sad when the best weapon is the Water Shield weapon, which has been used in every Mega Man game expect MM3. This almost seems like a parody; it's certainly as funny as one.

I can't say I'm disappointed as this is what I was expecting. This game is pure product, intended to tug at the nostalgia strings of old-school gamers so that they don't notice how poorly designed the game is.  I guess I was just holding out hope that the game would actually be good this time around.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:21:18 PM by Mop it up »

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 11:40:42 PM »
Most weapons are lame and have very few uses other than for their respective robots, there's nothing cool like the Tornado Blow or Hornet Chaser here. It's sad when the best weapon is the Water Shield weapon, which has been used in every Mega Man game expect MM3. This almost seems like a parody; it's certainly as funny as one.
I'm sorry, but if you're playing on easy you have no right to complain that the weapons don't have a use other than to beat the other robots.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 12:33:58 AM »
I'm actually glad to hear you say that. I just beat Wily's castle and I'm going to play on Normal soon, with Mega Man. Those were just my first impressions, there are probably some things that I should hold off judging until I've played Normal. Though even if the weapons have some uses, I still can't envision them being very interesting or fun. They don't have enough energy to really be useful. I guess I'll see.

However, there is one nice thing I discovered with the Wheel Cutter. When you're holding it in front of you, you can walk up to a wall and it will carry you up. It still isn't very useful as a weapon though.

A piece of advice for those of you considering playing on Easy: Don't do it! It makes the game ridiculously easy, to the point where it is kind of boring. This is coming from somebody who thinks that Kirby games are a nice challenge, so I wouldn't say I'm a skilled gamer. I've never thought that most Mega Man games are very difficult (only Mega Man 1 seems difficult to me), you just need a little practice and to get to know the stages and enemies. I can't decide what that says about the game design, whether it is good or bad, but that's a discussion for another time. I would recommend Normal regardless of what you think of your skill.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 12:40:45 AM by Mop it up »

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 02:31:02 AM »
So I caught up on MM9 and got to the first Wily stage. I think I quit last time at the giant fire beams that you have to freeze with the Concrete Shot, and that's probably where I'll quit this time, too. I've always hated things like that, going back to Quick Man's stage in MM2. Already downloaded MM10 and should get started on that tomorrow.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 02:49:16 AM »
Beat three Robot Masters tonight. It was totally awesome! Sheep Man and/or Pump Man seem to be like good openers. I went with Sheepy because I wanted to play ridiculousness, and I ended up getting close to beating him on my first continue. After screwing around a bit, Pump Man seemed quite easy.

Played all of the levels at least once and the things that stand out are the sand storms in Commando Man's level, and the goofy mini-bosses from Strike Man's level.

The design of the game overall seems newer than Mega Man 9. MM9 seemed deliberately behind the times and seems in line with MM2/3, while this game seems to have a later Mega Man series feel.

I also beat Commando Man. He was a bitch, but I figured out the pattern by my final life. I found Solar Man to be a royal pain in the ass, though, as he stores your shots and fires them back at you, which sucks. I finished off the night by dying on Nitro Man when he had one hit left. Seemed fitting.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 10:30:15 AM »
Though even if the weapons have some uses, I still can't envision them being very interesting or fun. They don't have enough energy to really be useful. I guess I'll see.
I can't speak for all weapons, because the only one I've unlocked so far is the ice weapon.  However, I found it very useful against the flowers in Solar Man's level.  Those things can be a bitch without it because in most places you have to dodge the fire arches at the same time which makes it hard to get 4 Mega Buster shots off at once.

Played all of the levels at least once and the things that stand out are the sand storms in Commando Man's level, and the goofy mini-bosses from Strike Man's level.
I agree that Commando Man's stage rocks.  I also liked the cars in Nitro Man's stage.

I think the best part of the stage design is the branching paths.  So far I found two stages where you have a choice as to what path you take.  There's not just minor changes, either.  In one of the stages one path was significantly harder than the other, but you got an E-tank for your troubles.  In the other level, you would only fight the mini-boss if you took one path but that one was much shorter than the alternate path.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 10:33:48 AM »
I hate the cars in Nitro Man's stage! And by hate, I mean "they're really cool but they beat the hell out of me in the beginning."

The branching paths are really cool. I think it was Commando Man's stage where I was having trouble with one part, and then I went and tried other levels. I came back, happened upon the other path, and had a lot more fun with the stage.

I'm hoping to get through this by the weekend, but if not, I have plans to play this game all night with a few friends on Saturday after we go see Anamanaguchi.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"