Author Topic: Two New Wii RPGs Revealed  (Read 13667 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Two New Wii RPGs Revealed
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »
The Last Story and Xenoblade are set for 2010 releases in Japan.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=20850

Nintendo has launched websites for two new RPGs in Japan: The Last Story and Xenoblade.    

The Last Story, which is being co-developed by Nintendo and Mistwalker,  is an attempt at a "new form of RPG" according to a translation provided by Andriasang.   The official site does not give a firm release date, only saying the game will release in 2010.  A developer blog will start up in March.    

The second RPG, Xenoblade, is developed by Monolift Soft.  The game was previously known as Monado: The Beginning of the World.  The newly launched website for the game is light on content and details, but a 2010 date can be seen, hinting at a 2010 release.    

Nintendo World Report will have more information on these games as it becomes available.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Two New Wii RPGs Revealed
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 11:41:23 AM »
It's good to see new RPGs on Wii, and "Xenoblade" is a definite upgrade over "Monado" for me when it comes to RPG names.  I am a little wary of The Last Story since Mistwalker's 2 360 RPGs (Blue Dragon and Last Odyssey) apparently were were not all that good.  Still, it's great to think that we might be seeing the Wii's first good RPG in one of these two titles (Tales of Symphonia 2...ugh...).  It's a pity that it's taken 3 years to get to this point, though.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 11:54:53 AM »
Final Fantasy
Last Story

"Conclusive Reverie"

What's with these awful names?  What's with this writer?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 11:59:48 AM »
Final Fantasy
Last Story

"Conclusive Reverie"

What's with these awful names?  What's with this writer?

Let's not forget the best one of them all: End of Eternity (Resonance of Fate in the US).  Yeah, this may be Mistwalker's most blatant attempt to create a Final Fantasy game if the name is any indication.  Of course, given that we haven't seen a true Final Fantasy RPG on the Wii yet (and probably not ever), I think I'm OK with that.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 12:02:46 PM »
I love me some rpgs.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 12:19:37 PM »
So this is what Monolith was up to after Disaster! I was beginning to think that they've been let go or shuttered despite being bought by Nintendo.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 12:21:13 PM »
So this is what Monolith was up to after Disaster! I was beginning to think that they've been let go or shuttered despite being bought by Nintendo.

Monado: Beginning of the World was announced (including a trailer) back at E3 2009.  They just now changed its name to Xenoblade.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 12:33:27 PM »
Xenoblade? Didn't Monolith make Xenogears and later Xenosaga where the Xeno bit was supposed to point at a connection between XG and XS despite lacking the XG license? Does that mean XB will be related to that whole thing?

Still, it's great to think that we might be seeing the Wii's first good RPG in one of these two titles (Tales of Symphonia 2...ugh...).  It's a pity that it's taken 3 years to get to this point, though.

Tales of Graces ring a bell? That's not Symphonia 2.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 12:36:18 PM »
These certainly seem like something to keep an eye on which is really the best I can ask for.  I see the headline "new screenshots for Xenoblade/Last Story" I'll look.  I'll be somewhat excited to look.

You figure with the Wii being the king of Japan that more RPGs would come to it.  Or is that genre no longer popular?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 12:39:51 PM »
Tales of Graces ring a bell? That's not Symphonia 2.

Tales of Graces gets to count as a good RPG on Wii when Namco-Bandai gets off their lazy ass and brings it to North America (preferably alongside Tales of Vesperia for PS3, but that's just wishful thinking at this point).  Yes, I know these two haven't been confirmed for North America yet, either, but Mistwalker and Nintendo have a far better track record for bringing their games over here than Namco-Bandai does with the Tales series.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:42:33 PM by broodwars »

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 12:40:33 PM »
Final Fantasy
The Last Story

The Final Countdown. BANA NA NAA BANA NA NA NA!
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »
Japan is too busy buying DS and PSP systems to care much about consoles anymore.

I just hope Nintendo gets its act together and brings some of these over to the states.

Infinite Undiscovery is worse that Final Fantasy or Last Story IMO. Though Last Story does sound like a cheap knock-off of Final Fantasy since the meanings of the names are so similar.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
What exciting news! Mistwalker has had some problems, but with Nintendo's cooperation, they could do amazing things. And Xenoblade is an awesome name -- I'm still excited for Monado, no matter what they call it.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 02:28:35 PM »
Nintendo adding their input on a Mistwalker game raises the value of the game in my book.

But both of these games have to be good, as they are the appetizers for the main course.
Nintendo has to make sure both of these games find their intended audiences and put up better than decent numbers so that the crowd is anticipating the Chef's Special that is Dragon Quest X.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 02:42:08 PM »
But both of these games have to be good, as they are the appetizers for the main course.
Nintendo has to make sure both of these games find their intended audiences and put up better than decent numbers so that the crowd is anticipating the Chef's Special that is Dragon Quest X.

Nonsense.  Both these games could sell less than 100 units and DQ X would still sell in record numbers.  That's just the way the Japanese market is, and it's the only market Nintendo and Square-Enix really care about.

Now, if Square-Enix had something like an Ogre Battle Wii or Valkyrie Profile Wii on the horizon, I'd say you'd be right that these titles needed to sell well to drive interest in those later titles.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 03:05:16 PM »
I wish we could have both of those games, Brood. I really am hoping that sales of the N64 version of Ogre Battle on VC are high and it spurs S-E to make a new Wii version. It's not like the series is competing with them anymore since they own it now.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 03:10:43 PM »
I never said that DQX wouldn't sell well on it's own.
But it will sell even better if there was an established RPG market already on the Wii.
Most traditional RPG players in Japan are currently owners of a PS3 and DS and most jRPG's on the Wii haven't really been BIG sellers. So if Nintendo can prove that there is a market for RPG's on the Wii, not only will Nintendo have established to new IP's on the Wii, but they will have SE enthusiastic about getting DQX up to par and out the door to take advantage of the waiting masses.

If Nintendo's own RPG's do well, that could even mean some FF could be on the way (wishful thinking) or a DQVIII remake(early 2011) before the release of DQX(late 2011).
That would mean that you could then find every DQ game on a Nintendo system and that traditional RPG are not a dying genre(outside of FF and DQ)

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 04:55:17 PM »

Monado: Beginning of the World was announced (including a trailer) back at E3 2009.  They just now changed its name to Xenoblade.

Ah, must've missed it or forgot about it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 05:09:27 PM »

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=28408.0

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 05:16:26 AM »

The way Nintendo seems to hide these 'core games' in the back corner like an unloved child born of an adulterous relationship makes it easy to miss them. How many people are aware of this, Cosmic Walker, Span Smasher or Tact of Magic? Not many I'll bet.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 02:39:42 PM »
For some reason I've never been a fan of modern RPG's, they just don''t seem to have the same magic as the ones on the Super NES. Of course, part of that is that I can't really put that kind of a time investment into a game like I used to. If anyone could get me back into an RPG though, it'd be Nintendo. Considering their track record, I'm not expecting these to be released here, but... here's hoping!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 03:21:10 PM »
The Last Story is spiritually the successor Final Fantasy.
notice the similarity in the names.

Last = Final / Story = Fantasy

Also the Mistwalker is made-up of ex SE employees and the head guy(Sakaguichi) is the creator of Final Fantasy (someone correct me if I get something wrong here).

If you also check the picture of The Last Story logo art, you will notice a clock behind the girls head. all you can see on that list is III - X, and FFX is the last FF that Sakaguichi worked on.

Sakaguichi had paired up with Nintendo back in 1987 to create the original Final Fantasy, and here is is again paired up with Nintendo in 2010 to create The Last Story.

He has also said that he is putting his everything into this game and now we know that Nintendo is picking up the tab, so we can expect this game to be everything that FFXII & FFXIII wasn't especially since it will have some Nintendo guidance to help it along the way. This game will be Nintendo's Final Fantasy since Square doesn't seem interested in bringing the franchise back.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 08:47:16 PM »
I actually liked Mystwalkers two games.  Blue Dragon suffered mostly from it's combat--it's a turn-based RPG but it really didn't add anything to keep the battles exciting. 

Lost Odyssey was a great emotional feel to the characters--especially Kain.  There's these texts(lost memories) you find thoughout the game and I'll admit left me in freaking TEARS. 

-------------------------------
I'm glad to see another Xeno title as well.  Of course an 2010 release for Japan means 2011 for us--BLEH.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 05:23:45 AM »
If we even get a release. NoA needs to get on the ball with these Japanese games.
My Game Collection

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 08:05:31 AM »
The Last Story is spiritually the successor Final Fantasy.
notice the similarity in the names.

Last = Final / Story = Fantasy

Also the Mistwalker is made-up of ex SE employees and the head guy(Sakaguichi) is the creator of Final Fantasy (someone correct me if I get something wrong here).

If you also check the picture of The Last Story logo art, you will notice a clock behind the girls head. all you can see on that list is III - X, and FFX is the last FF that Sakaguichi worked on.

Sakaguichi had paired up with Nintendo back in 1987 to create the original Final Fantasy, and here is is again paired up with Nintendo in 2010 to create The Last Story.

He has also said that he is putting his everything into this game and now we know that Nintendo is picking up the tab, so we can expect this game to be everything that FFXII & FFXIII wasn't especially since it will have some Nintendo guidance to help it along the way. This game will be Nintendo's Final Fantasy since Square doesn't seem interested in bringing the franchise back.

This could bee huuuge kick in the balls to Square if it does well.

If Last Story is a bonafide hit it will destroy Final Fantasy in sales because the Wii just has so many more systems out there.  It would essentially destroy the idea Square has about spending who knows how much on FF as well as letting the former creator rub it in their faces.  Obviously a big if since we don't know jack about the game yet.