Author Topic: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean  (Read 178033 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean
« Reply #350 on: March 10, 2010, 09:50:11 PM »
http://kotaku.com/5490574/how-the-playstation-move-is-not-a-wii-remote
Quote from: Kotaku
No wasted batteries: The Wii remote sucks up AA battery juice. The Move and its companion sub-controller are rechargeable via the same mini-USB connection used to charge the PS3's main controller.

No wire!: The Wii Remote and Nunchuk are tethered by a short cable. The PS3 Move and its subcontroller are not.
This raises the same concern that I had earlier. What if your playing a 2 player game and both of you need to recharge your wiichuck Move/SubCons at the same time. Aren't there only 2 USB ports on the PS3? and do you think the SubCon will come with it's own cable?

Lets say you are only playing 1 player and you need to charge your Move/SubCon at the same time. Would you rather switch out some rechargeable batteries and have your wiichuck tethered to each other, or would you rather tether yourself to your $300 Everything Machine hooked up to your real expensive 3D HDTV?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 10, 2010, 09:54:08 PM »
brood, didn't Capcom say they are releasing a new version of Resident Evil 5 that will support it? I don't think they said anything about releasing a patch so that owners of the game (and the Gold edition) can use PlayStation Move.
That was before Sony delayed Gem uhhhh Arc i mean Move from Spring 2010 to Fall of 2010.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #352 on: March 10, 2010, 09:56:13 PM »
Even if they do release a patch, I think it's safe to assume Capcom would still re-release the game anyways (and call it something like Resident Evil 5: Move Edition).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 10, 2010, 09:57:05 PM »
Hopefully they finally down-port it to Wii at the same time.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 10, 2010, 09:57:43 PM »
brood, didn't Capcom say they are releasing a new version of Resident Evil 5 that will support it? I don't think they said anything about releasing a patch so that owners of the game (and the Gold edition) can use PlayStation Move.

Considering the Gold Edition content is already available to North American owners of the original version via DLC (and, for that matter, was available before the Gold Edition released), it isn't a stretch to hypothesize that they'll do something similar with Alternative Edition in the West.  It's just easier and more economical after the Gold Edition has already hit stores just to sell it as DLC, especially since the number of fans who would actually be interested in it would be relatively low.  I don't think Capcom's stupid enough to try re-releasing the same game twice in retail in the same year on the same console.  They'd have to recall all the old Gold Editions again.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 10, 2010, 10:08:25 PM »
I actually think the Move is a great idea....for Nintendo. Hear me out.

What's Nintendo's biggest problem? Third-party support, right? Well if developers are willing to focus on motion controllers because of Sony's take on it, then they should be more willing to port any games they make to the Wii, because of Wii's enormous user-base. This will also mean that there will be fewer Wii exclusives, but more developers as a whole making motion games. This will help Nintendo out because developers can finally compare, realistically, how games perform.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 10, 2010, 10:09:44 PM »

What's Nintendo's biggest problem? Third-party support, right? Well if developers are willing to focus on motion controllers because of Sony's take on it, then they should be more willing to port any games they make to the Wii, because of Wii's enormous user-base. This will also mean that there will be fewer Wii exclusives, but more developers as a whole making motion games. This will help Nintendo out because developers can finally compare, realistically, how games perform.

One problem; Wii isn't HD and they're not willing to downport
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #357 on: March 10, 2010, 10:13:30 PM »
This invites more developers to make more expensive casual flops.  Go for it, industry.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 10, 2010, 10:17:38 PM »

Exactly.  The Wii's impotence when it comes to HD is a serious barrier to that kind of multiplatform development.  Plus, there's a little problem with the PS3 having a significantly different user base from the Wii.  Motion Control Games that might sell well with the PS3's core-centric audience might not sell well with Nintendo's casual-centric Wii audience (and definitely vice-versa, which is why Sony's casual Move games are going to fail miserably).

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 10, 2010, 10:18:57 PM »

But they are willing to upgrade? Surely the street goes both ways.

This invites more developers to make more expensive casual flops.  Go for it, industry.

Except their HD Casual FLOPS will bankrupt them sooner!

Exactly.  The Wii's impotence when it comes to HD is a serious barrier to that kind of multiplatform development.  Plus, there's a little problem with the PS3 having a significantly different user base from the Wii.  Motion Control Games that might sell well with the PS3's core-centric audience might not sell well with Nintendo's casual-centric Wii audience (and definitely vice-versa, which is why Sony's casual Move games are going to fail miserably).

That's BULLSHIT and you know it! "Different audiences"? I'm sure the Wii has just as many "core" gamers if not MORE than the PS3.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 10:20:54 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #360 on: March 10, 2010, 10:22:19 PM »

It's a lot cheaper to take their existing Wii games and port them to PlayStation 3, all they would have to do is add Trophy support. The problem for any port though is that the PlayStation Move would have to be a success (and I don't think it will be if the rumored price of $99.99 is correct).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 10, 2010, 10:27:46 PM »

That's BULL**** and you know it! "Different audiences"? I'm sure the Wii has just as many "core" gamers if not MORE than the PS3.

We've been over this time and time again, and I'm really not interested in rehashing it yet again.  Besides, I was talking about the majority of the audience, the ones who largely buy the games and drive the market.  Developers looking at the two platforms will be looking for the largest possible audience they can tap into, to play to that console's strengths.  Did I say the Wii didn't have core gamers?  I said the Wii was casual-centric, which it is and that's never going to change considering how Nintendo has chosen to market the device.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 10:30:33 PM by broodwars »

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 10, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Wait, so they actually did put a disco-ball on it?!

:o

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 10, 2010, 10:28:18 PM »

This is what I'm thinking. Most 3rd party excuses have been either HD vs SD or Motion vs Classic. If they are making games for Move that don't necessarily work on Natal, they may still want to release it multi plat and downgrade the graphics for the enormous Wii audience instead of leaving it Move exclusive where it has a really small audience.

If they game was made with motion controls in mind from the start, then the cost of developing SD & HD assets shouldn't be that difficult if they plan the Wii/Move release from the start.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 10, 2010, 10:41:06 PM »

Not to the cool kids that do 100mph in a school zone down the dead end street.

Metaphor for Sony (and the like), in their little arms race, thinking you could sell a polished turn to the masses obsessed with their little HD fad, but think the market leading console is too beneath them to bother making any core-games (with effort)
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 10, 2010, 10:45:45 PM »

That's BULL**** and you know it! "Different audiences"? I'm sure the Wii has just as many "core" gamers if not MORE than the PS3.

We've been over this time and time again, and I'm really not interested in rehashing it yet again.  Besides, I was talking about the majority of the audience, the ones who largely buy the games and drive the market.  Developers looking at the two platforms will be looking for the largest possible audience they can tap into, to play to that console's strengths.  Did I say the Wii didn't have core gamers?  I said the Wii was casual-centric, which it is and that's never going to change considering how Nintendo has chosen to market the device.

Yeah umm...I think you mistook what I was saying. Look at BnM's post. The user base for "Move" is going to be dismally small. So any games that are made that are not intrinsically exclusive, should be carefully considered to bring to the Wii.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 10, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
Call me a cynic but if wii gets any down-ports of Move games, they'll be the "casual" Move games.. and probably their Spin-offs:

PS3 = Let the Rythm Move You (in HD)
Wii  = Wii Like the Rythm; Dance Party (crappier than ps1 visuals)

Seriously, how many times have we heard "..that type of game wouldn't be possible on wii"

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 10, 2010, 11:06:15 PM »
Well I think the most common excuse is "that type of game doesn't SELL on Wii".  If they're committing to Move, which will only have a few million users at first, then it's in their financial interests to port to Wii.  I'd argue that there are more core gamers on Wii, than there will be Move users for a considerable length of time.

Offline Invincible Donkey Kong

• DK Crew. HUH!
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 10, 2010, 11:09:54 PM »
I am both amused and a little disappointed at this pathetically predictable response from Sony.  :reggie:
Buy Zap's perler bead art!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/NewDonkCityVending

Operation: Get Zap a Switch GoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/get-zap-a-switch

Summer of Donk ~ 2017 Twitch meetups! ~ DKC2
https://www.twitch.tv/zapr2k

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #369 on: March 10, 2010, 11:11:11 PM »
"at first"? I think PlayStation Move will be lucky to ever sell millions, especially if it is $100. The only way I can see it having a install base of millions is if Sony bundles it with the PlayStation 3.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 10, 2010, 11:14:05 PM »
Well I think the most common excuse is "that type of game doesn't SELL on Wii".  If they're committing to Move, which will only have a few million users at first, then it's in their financial interests to port to Wii.  I'd argue that there are more core gamers on Wii, than there will be Move users for a considerable length of time.

Alright, let's look at it from your typical 3rd party's point-of-view: if you're going to commit resources to a project you're not sure is even going to sell on your intended console, why would you commit even more resources making a downgraded port to a console that has not traditionally shown sales for your kind of game?  I don't doubt we'll see a lot of casual stuff crossing between systems, because those are fairly inexpensive to shift between HD and SD resources.  It's not out-of-the-question that we could see some core MC stuff being developed PS3 & Wii now, but I just wonder if we'll see more than a few token games.  Even if we do, will Wii core gamers (who have already proven themselves very selective over the past 3 years) settle for the PS3's sloppy seconds, or will we quickly hear the complaints that the game "should be developed with the Wii in mind first, and then upgraded for the PS3 because we're the market leader damnit and we deserve it!"?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 10, 2010, 11:15:41 PM »
Seriously, how many times have we heard "..that type of game wouldn't be possible on wii"
It's what they said about Modern Warfare..... we know how that turned out.

If they want it to happen bad enough, they'll make it happen.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 10, 2010, 11:27:12 PM »
Alright, let's look at it from your typical 3rd party's point-of-view: if you're going to commit resources to a project you're not sure is even going to sell on your intended console, why would you commit even more resources making a downgraded port to a console that has not traditionally shown sales for your kind of game?
Probably because the cost of downporting to the wii could be the difference to breaking even or losing tons of money on a Move Exclusive that doesn't have the audience to support the cost of a Move HD exclusive.

I don't doubt we'll see a lot of casual stuff crossing between systems, because those are fairly inexpensive to shift between HD and SD resources.  It's not out-of-the-question that we could see some core MC stuff being developed PS3 & Wii now, but I just wonder if we'll see more than a few token games.  Even if we do, will Wii core gamers (who have already proven themselves very selective over the past 3 years) settle for the PS3's sloppy seconds, or will we quickly hear the complaints that the game "should be developed with the Wii in mind first, and then upgraded for the PS3 because we're the market leader damnit and we deserve it!"?
All the games have to do is come out at the same time and then the Wii version can share the advertising of the PS3Move version and no one will complain as long as they are both developed side by side and both are quality.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 11, 2010, 02:40:34 AM »
Press Release

OVERVIEW

PlayStation®Move offers a new and innovative gaming experience for the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) system
by fusing realistic, high-definition gaming along with accurate, intuitive control. Consisting of
PlayStation®Move motion controller, PlayStation®Move sub-controller and PlayStation®Eye camera,
PlayStation Move enables sophisticated motion control and immersive gameplay only possible on the PS3
system. 

PLAYSTATION®MOVE MOTION CONTROLLER

The corner stone of PlayStation Move, PlayStation Move motion controller combines advanced motion
sensors, a dynamic color changing sphere, vibration feedback, and an easy to use button interface. Equipped
with three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer and terrestrial magnetic field sensor, PlayStation Move
motion controller tracks the precise movements and the angle of the controller. The PS3 system also detects
the absolute position of the controller in 3D space by using PlayStation Eye camera. Highly sensitive
movement tracking can be accurately traced back to the game, allowing intuitive gameplay as if the player
is within the game. 

KEY FEATURES:
o  Works with PlayStation Eye camera to accurately track player position
o  Includes action buttons of DUALSHOCK®3 and SIXAXIS® wireless controller for direct
input
o  Sleek and Wireless
o  Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery
o  Advanced motion sensors in the controller precisely track both fast and subtle movements 
o  Color of the sphere's light provides visual feedback during gameplay 
o  Vibration feedback is felt during specific actions 
o  Bluetooth® technology supports wireless gaming
o  Simultaneously use up to four motion controllers with a PS3 system
o  Charge the controller and automatically pair it with the PS3 system via a USB cable (Type
A - Mini-B)

PLAYSTATION®MOVE SUB-CONTROLLER 

PlayStation Move sub controller is a supplementary controller, developed to further expand the experience
that PlayStation Move games can offer. It can be used in most PlayStation Move games that require
navigating an in-game character as it replicates the control features of the left side of DUALSHOCK 3 and
SIXAXIS wireless controller into one’s PlayStation Move experience. PlayStation Move sub controller
adds an analog stick, directional buttons and two face buttons into the PlayStation Move's control scheme.
In addition, the sub-controller contains the L1 button, L2 button and L3 button for actions and commands
common in advanced gaming. 

KEY FEAURES:
o  Wireless control completely untethered from PlayStation Move motion controller
o  Intuitive navigation of in-game characters
o  Easy and intuitive XMB™ menu navigation
o  Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery
o  Charge the controller and automatically pair it with the PS3 system via a USB cable (Type
A - Mini-B)
o  Sleek curved body design that easily pairs with the motion controller 

Note: DUALSHOCK 3 and SIXAXIS wireless controller can be used in place of the sub controller for all games
that are compatible with the sub controller

PLAYSTATION®EYE CAMERA 

As an integral part of PlayStation Move, PlayStation Eye camera is designed specifically to work with the
next generation of PlayStation Move gaming titles being developed for the PS3 system. When used with
PlayStation Move motion controller, PlayStation Eye camera precisely tracks a user’s movement and the
motion controller’s sphere to help bring every move into the game. In addition, PlayStation Eye camera
captures a player’s voice or image and when combined together with PlayStation Move games, will bring a
whole new entertainment experience to user only possible on the PlayStation® platform.

KEY FEAURES:
o  Engineered to perform in low-light conditions so that the rooms do not have to be lit
brightly for the camera to deliver crisp, perfectly exposed video
o  Two position zoom lens for close-up and full body options
o  At 60 frames per second, captures a sharp, clear picture at 640 x 480 resolutions 
o  Frame rate of up to 120 frames per second for improved tracking, responsiveness and
smoothness 
o  A sophisticated microphone with the ability to reduce background noise and focus on
spoken word for smoother, more accurate speech recognition 

PRICING AND AVAILABLILITY: 
Available in North America fall 2010. Pricing to be announced.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Third Party Developers and Publishers Supporting PlayStation®Move platform

Company Name (in alphabetical order, as of March 10, 2010)

505 Games U.S.
Activision Publishing, Inc.
AQ INTERACTIVE Inc.
ARC SYSTEMS WORK CO.,LTD
ATLUS Co., LTD.
Bigben Interactive
CAPCOM CO., LTD.
CCP   
Crave Entertainment   
CYBERFRONT Corporation
Disney Interactive Studios
Electronic Arts Inc.
FromSoftware, Inc.
Game Republic, Inc.
GUST CO., LTD.
HUDSON SOFT CO., LTD
IREM SOFTWARE ENGINEERING INC.
Koei Co., Ltd.
Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Majesco Entertainment
Marvelous Entertainment Inc.
NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.
ONGAKUKAN Co., Ltd.
Oxygen Games
PAON CORPORATION
Q Entertainment Inc.
Q-GAMES, LTD.
SEGA CORPORATION
Sony Online Entertainment
Spike Co., Ltd.
SQUARE ENIX GROUP
TECMO, LTD.
THQ Inc.
UBISOFT®
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Zoo Entertainment, Inc.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 11, 2010, 02:56:17 AM »
I went and looked at the pictures too.  They are basically Nintendo's sports games and a few eye toy games thrown in.  Most of the games seem to be direct copies from Wii Sports Resort.

Consider me underwhelmed.