Author Topic: REVIEWS: Metroid Prime Trilogy  (Read 14189 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: REVIEWS: Metroid Prime Trilogy
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 07:08:56 PM »
I'm keeping the GC games of course because of their original control scheme.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 07:25:15 PM »
It is great to see Nintendo put out a collection that is truly enhanced. Rarely do the same games I played before make me want to play them again in a collection but with the new controls, upgraded visuals, achievements (worthwhile achievements), and cohesive package makes for something I really want to play again!

gamestop really helped too.

Free T-shirt and Free poster and Nintendo put a metal box and art.

makes me think nintendo might do this to other games. Zelda Twilight Princess :  Collectors Edition ( wii motion plus control, fixed up textures, harder difficulty mode, full orchestrated music . I would buy it

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 11:11:16 PM »
I'm keeping the GC games of course because of their original control scheme.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Not really. At least I don't think so. Both versions have their positive, and negative notes. On the GC you can switch visors, and weapons without interruption. On the Wii it pauses the flow of the game to switch visors, or weapons. The aiming on the GC is not as intuitive, but it is for the Wii. Plus the Wii version has the added functionality of widescreen which I think fits right in with the Metroid Prime motif of exploration.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 12:46:11 AM »
When reviewed separately all three games got a 9.5 from NWR. I suppose the enhancements of these versions fixed the minor issues which caused the subtraction of the .5?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 12:47:49 AM »
When reviewed separately all three games got a 9.5 from NWR. I suppose the enhancements of these versions fixed the minor issues which caused the subtraction of the .5?

You do know that Nick didn't review those three games.
Reviews on NWR aren't site-wide opinions, it's the opinion of the reviewer.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 02:00:01 AM »
...You are an "AP Style Jerk," Neal.  Sheesh.  Ruining everyone's fun.

Offline Elixir

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 02:14:06 AM »

Regardless of the fact there are different reviewers, I think three high-class games in one package deserves the 10 just based on what a great deal it is, especially to those who have not had a chance to play these gems.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 07:11:53 AM »

Given that, I was actually considering giving the game a 28.5/10, but I figured that might be a little high so I settled on a mere 10/10. :P

But seriously, all three games are masterpieces, and the first two have been vastly improved by the new control scheme. Regardless of scores prior, I felt the package as a whole was deserving of a 10/10 due to having no flaws large enough to detract from the overall experience.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
...You are an "AP Style Jerk," Neal.  Sheesh.  Ruining everyone's fun.

It's literally my job.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Yankee

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 12:06:26 AM »
I picked mine up today, but was annoyed that Gamestop didn't have either preorder bonus and refused to give me anything in their place. At least the game is amazing, enjoying prime one thus far.
Itsa me! Yankee!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 05:19:15 AM »
Honestly, Veteran wasn't bad. With the exception of the Omega Pirate, it was pretty easy.

So they didn't add the PAL changes that make the Omega weak to powerbombs?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2009, 05:55:59 AM »

Given that, I was actually considering giving the game a 28.5/10, but I figured that might be a little high so I settled on a mere 10/10. :P

But seriously, all three games are masterpieces, and the first two have been vastly improved by the new control scheme. Regardless of scores prior, I felt the package as a whole was deserving of a 10/10 due to having no flaws large enough to detract from the overall experience.

I agree. It is hard though to rate a collection package or a remake of an older game, do you ding it for being older? I don't know, but it seems like Retro and Nintendo actually dedicated resources to these in regards to improving them so I think the score is perfectly justified considering they are amazing games to begin with (with Corruption being the best of course!)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2009, 07:52:29 AM »
TYP's preview of the New Play Control versions (which are essentially the same as those included in this package) states that the achievement system is simpler in Prime and Echoes, as it only uses two of the four emblems. Is this true? I don't recall seeing any Red emblems, which were for scans in Corruption, during the marathon, but still...
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 09:28:20 AM »
That is correct KMJ. Prime and Prime 2 share a Grey Achievement for stuff like getting power-ups and keys. Prime 1 also has an Orange Achievement for beating bosses while Prime 2 has a Purple One. The Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green Acheivements are exclusive to 3.

The unlock menu is structured accordingly. All goods associated with 1 are unlocked with 1's tokens, 2 with 2's and 3 with 3's.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »
Spent some of last night playing Prime 1...almost at the planet boss. Would've spent more time, but the wife and I watched "Adventureland" (SAFE TO SKIP THIS ONE, FOLKS!) instead.

Love the game so far. I may have to tweak aiming speed, because it seems a little slow. I'm playing Prime on Veteran (just like Nick!). Was anyone else surprised by how difficult the Hive Mecha is with the new controls? I kept missing the weak point by <this much>.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 01:18:54 PM »
watched "Adventureland" (SAFE TO SKIP THIS ONE, FOLKS!) instead.

Watch this one folks, it is a cute and funny movie.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 04:49:46 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 02:03:58 PM »
I just started Prime 1 as well, and I agree with you on one thing, and disagree horribly on another.

Hive Mecha did seem harder, but Adventureland is a freaking great movie.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 02:04:30 PM »
I've gotta disagree. It's not a comedy at all. Ryan Reynolds, generally the funnyman, is the most depressing character in the film. I'd classify this as a drama: everybody has issues, everyone deals with them badly. The only funny bits involve Kristin Wiig and that other dude from SNL. And that's like 2% of the movie.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »
Yeah it was disappointing when he couldn't talk and suddenly sprouted SWRODS from his arms.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 03:42:53 PM »
watched "Adventureland" (SAFE TO SKIP THIS ONE, FOLKS!) instead.

Watch this one folks, it is a cute and funny money.

Freudian slip as you were thinking about all the moneyhats you get for praising crap on forums?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 05:11:02 PM »
I've gotta disagree. It's not a comedy at all.

We weren't saying whether or not it was a comedy, just whether or not it was a good movie.
I guess it's the case of knowing what you're getting into, kind of like how I've seen a lot of people hate Funny People because they expected a straight balls-to-the-wall comedy.

I'll agree to disagree :)

Anyway, Metroid.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2009, 05:20:32 PM »
I've gotta disagree. It's not a comedy at all.

We weren't saying whether or not it was a comedy, just whether or not it was a good movie.
I guess it's the case of knowing what you're getting into, kind of like how I've seen a lot of people hate Funny People because they expected a straight balls-to-the-wall comedy.

I'll agree to disagree :)

Anyway, Metroid.

I thought it was funny but it wasn't over the top and it was a more down to earth movie that was plausible.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2009, 06:16:56 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if games like this should have two reviews, one aimed at those who never played the game(s) and one aimed at those who have. Though I agree with this review's score if it's someone who doesn't own the games, for someone who has all three I kind of feel like the score should be 3/10 or something.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2009, 06:28:46 PM »
I own all 3...
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2009, 06:33:27 PM »
But you were looking at the game objectively. Also, wasn't this a free review copy?