Linked Events

• NSMB Wii release: November 15, 2009

Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. Wii  (Read 230311 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
« Reply #1125 on: December 09, 2009, 03:44:46 PM »
He tore the game apart yet somehow didn't say one insightful--or even correct--thing about it.  It was worthless.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: December 09, 2009, 04:09:14 PM »
The lot of you are so silly with your conspiracy theories about GameStop. Have you considered that maybe one of these is the case?
-More people shop GameStop for games than other stores.
-GameStop receives smaller shipments than huge superstores like Wal*Mart.

Both are probably the case. GameStop is a business and their goal is profit. I highly doubt they would give up sales of a popular game in an attempt to get people to purchase other games, it makes no sense.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: December 09, 2009, 04:19:36 PM »
I more hate how they order little to no copies of games and then lecture you on pre-ordering. Sometimes I don't know if I want a game until the day it releases due to reviews or seeing who else will get it or something. I won't put money down on a product I am unsure about. I don't need an employee to snidely lecture me about pre-ordering when I have not pre-ordered a game since Wind Waker or Rogue Squadron 3.

Also, what is best for business is forecasting sales properly. If you see x amount of gamers coming in asking for Wii 3rd party games then maybe you should actually order some. And in this day and age you have alternative means for selling off extra copies like eBay and Amazon Marketplace so it really should be a no-brainer.

And like I said earlier, not all GameStops are created equal.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: December 09, 2009, 04:22:03 PM »
Are you sure they choose to order little to no games or are there not enough available for them to order more than that?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1129 on: December 09, 2009, 04:33:11 PM »
Yes, I'm very sure of that, cuz it's happened to me on several occasions this year.

No pre-orders?  Maybe 1 will copy will come in to have on display (did happen, and I bought it).  Maybe 2 copies if a clerk planned on buying the title as well (did happen).  Maybe a nearby store will stock 2 copies while this store didn't, making the average 1 copy per store (did happen).

What GameStop really wants are 1) People trading-in games, 2) selling the used games. <-- this makes them more money than selling new stock.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: December 09, 2009, 07:55:38 PM »
Yes, I'm very sure of that, cuz it's happened to me on several occasions this year.

No pre-orders?  Maybe 1 will copy will come in to have on display (did happen, and I bought it).  Maybe 2 copies if a clerk planned on buying the title as well (did happen).  Maybe a nearby store will stock 2 copies while this store didn't, making the average 1 copy per store (did happen).

What GameStop really wants are 1) People trading-in games, 2) selling the used games. <-- this makes them more money than selling new stock.

This. Even outside all the stories Pro has told here on NWR, there's plenty more similar stories i've heard from friends who shop their exclusively (why?) or friends that have worked there.

Basically you're right, Mop_it_up, that it is business.. however Gamestops business is trying to make most of their profit on selling used games and pushing pre-orders. In my experience, the people that pre-order are the ones that beat the game the fastest (maybe even Day 1) and that means they're more likely to sell it back to GS in which they'll lower the price by a few bucks and re-sell it to another consumer. If they only got ONE copy in because someone pre-ordered it, beat it then returned it, now they have only that ONE used copy - forcing the next consumer to buy it where GS makes 100% profit on it. Make sense now why they would order so few copies?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1131 on: December 09, 2009, 10:19:52 PM »
^ That.

It's high school economics.

Every $1 is worth about $10 or more in the sense that it did its job multiple times by changing hands/owners.

A constantly-traded game copy is worth lots.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: December 12, 2009, 11:35:49 AM »
I recently started actually playing this game (just got on World 2), and I'm very impressed. It is way too easy for the most part (I think I have 30 lives or so), but it's fun as Hell.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1133 on: December 12, 2009, 11:37:20 AM »
I recently started actually playing this game (just got on World 2), and I'm very impressed. It is way too easy for the most part (I think I have 30 lives or so), but it's fun as Hell.
Wait till the later levels.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: December 12, 2009, 12:56:54 PM »

Are you playing by yourself? You gotta get a second player in there.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1135 on: December 12, 2009, 12:58:45 PM »

Are you playing by yourself? You gotta get a second player in there.
It can be a bit more difficult and more fun when playing with another person.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: December 12, 2009, 01:13:51 PM »
Well he said it was too easy by himself, so I suggested getting a second player.
But I do suggest avoiding 4 player unless everyone is skilled at Mario games or you are playing coin battle.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1137 on: December 12, 2009, 03:02:52 PM »
Or if you like to fight.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: December 13, 2009, 02:04:20 PM »
Seriously, if you like being a dick and throwing your friends into pits, 4players is a blast! :D When they ask why you did that, just say you were testing their wall-jump skills :)
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: December 13, 2009, 11:27:52 PM »
New Super Mario Bros.: Frienship Breaker Edition
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1140 on: December 13, 2009, 11:44:48 PM »
- forcing the next consumer to buy it where GS makes 100% profit on it. Make sense now why they would order so few copies?

Not QUIT 100% (you have to subtract what they gave to the person who traded it in), but close enough that your point is still valid. It's not all profit, it's just a higher percentage of profit.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: December 14, 2009, 10:47:16 AM »
Let's just say I dumbed down my post for grandmas :P

that's not a knock against Mop_it_up

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1142 on: December 14, 2009, 12:05:48 PM »
Could New Super Modern Bros. Woo be proof that the 2005 multiplayer "Kirby GC" project is still alive?

Or cancelled for sure since Miyamoto hates Kirby and made the effort to suppress any progress the franchise could have by reserving the gameplay ideas and experiments exclusively for Mario?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: December 14, 2009, 02:02:48 PM »
Let's just say I dumbed down my post for grandmas :P

that's not a knock against Mop_it_up
I didn't think that it was until you just said that it wasn't.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: December 14, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
Well stop thinking it because it wasn't. If youlre a grandma then I'm a grandpa and i don't wanna be.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: December 15, 2009, 12:05:34 PM »
More 2D Mario's will be coming according to Iwata.

"I feel that 2D Mario titles will definitely be made along these lines. I don't think there's any other way."

Source- http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=13746

This gives hope to many a great thing. 2 player Yoshis island! And with 2-4 Yoshis running around no one would ever complain that they are the same character reused! NSMBW problem solved! Just make every playable character a Yoshi!

@ Ningurl - Thats actually a good theory. It was going to be a 4 player blatformer right? Kirby very well could have been put aside because of this game. Well that explains that.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:13:48 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: December 15, 2009, 01:51:58 PM »
This gives hope to many a great thing. 2 player Yoshis island! And with 2-4 Yoshis running around no one would ever complain that they are the same character reused! NSMBW problem solved! Just make every playable character a Yoshi!
If they create a co-op Yoshi's Island then one of those characters had better be Birdo! Otherwise that's just criminal.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1147 on: December 15, 2009, 05:26:30 PM »

"I feel that 2D Mario titles will definitely be made along these lines. I don't think there's any other way."

@ Ningurl - Thats actually a good theory. It was going to be a 4 player blatformer right? Kirby very well could have been put aside because of this game. Well that explains that.

It simply confirms that Miyamoto is bad for Nintend and should've retired before Majora's Mask came out, like he originally planned.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: December 15, 2009, 06:35:49 PM »

It simply confirms that Miyamoto is bad for Nintend and should've retired before Majora's Mask came out, like he originally planned.

What made him change his mind?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: December 15, 2009, 06:43:31 PM »
The thought of someone else tarnishing one of his beloved creations?