Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 245438 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #425 on: December 15, 2010, 03:52:05 PM »
I have 3 Wal-Marts within 10 miles of my house, and all of them have gotten rid of their locking glass cases for their games within the past year or 2. I guess your Wal-Mart just hasn't been remodeled yet. By pointing out that the display copy is NOT used, period, you're supporting UncleBob's argument. Normally you can return unopened software at just about any retailer (including GameStop) for a full refund, or at least full credit - but if you buy the display copy, it's already opened, and GameStop will only buy it back as used and give you less money than you paid, because it's not sealed, but as you pointed out, being the display copy doesn't mean the game has actually been used.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 15, 2010, 04:26:10 PM »
I've returned used games to Gamestop in the past that I didn't like. They do have a return period of a week on returning used games. I refuse to buy opened games at new prices.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 15, 2010, 05:16:07 PM »
Exactly my point though - being that this is a "new" game (there aren't any used games on launch day), you get screwed potentially.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 16, 2010, 12:33:03 PM »
Display copy is NOT used, period.

Then tell that to Gamestop. As others have pointed out, if you try to take the opened display copy back it will be treated as if it were used and you won't get your full money back. So its like the worst of both worlds, because you're paying full price for a "new" game, but you don't get the security to be able to return it unopened for a full refund.

I don't know why you're defending Display copies as "new" when even Gamestop themselves don't. They'll sell it to you as "new" at full price, but do they stand behind it? No, they don't.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 16, 2010, 12:35:16 PM »
Display copy is NOT used, period.

Then tell that to Gamestop. As others have pointed out, if you try to take the opened display copy back it will be treated as if it were used and you won't get your full money back. So its like the worst of both worlds, because you're paying full price for a "new" game, but you don't get the security to be able to return it unopened for a full refund.

I don't know why you're defending Display copies as "new" when even Gamestop themselves don't. They'll sell it to you as "new" at full price, but do they stand behind it? No, they don't.

My local Gamestops usually put a little seal over the case once they put the disc in and close it, and you can still return it if the seal is unbroken.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #430 on: December 16, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
No one if forcing you to buy the display copy, I am just pointing out that they are not technically used.

Brandogg, those must be odd Walmarts because as a chain they still use glass counters (if it matters, the one Walmart re-modeled the entire electronics section just a few months ago).

brood, the GameStops in my area do the same thing (although I rarely buy new games anymore).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 16, 2010, 12:45:19 PM »
I hate those shitty seals. I like to have my cases look clean and neat, but those seals are hard to remove and leave sticky gunk behind.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 16, 2010, 12:48:12 PM »
I hate those shitty seals. I like to have my cases look clean and neat, but those seals are hard to remove and leave sticky gunk behind.

Goo Gone = "sticky gunk" gone.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 16, 2010, 03:18:02 PM »
Only things locked up here are the consoles, iPods, laptops, etc. I can take pics.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 16, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »
maybe your Walmart is in a low crime area.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 16, 2010, 04:04:55 PM »
There's 3, and while there aren't many robberies around here in general, 2 of them are located in "bad parts of town," or at least within shouting distance. They just have a ****-ton of cameras, and they know if you steal from them, you will get caught.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 17, 2010, 11:24:08 AM »
A magician trained in the art of sleight of hand may be able to get away with it. One time David Copperfield got robbed, and using sleight of hand he was able to fool his robbers into thinking his pockets were empty, when actually he had his wallet, keys, cellphone, etc.
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 24, 2011, 07:23:30 PM »
Just another great reason to avoid GameStop... as if there aren't already enough reasons.

GameStop opening Deus Ex boxes to remove free game code.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 24, 2011, 07:31:38 PM »
Just another great reason to avoid GameStop... as if there aren't already enough reasons.

GameStop opening Deus Ex boxes to remove free game code.

Yeah, I'm really on the fence with this.  On the one hand, Square-Enix put a voucher for a competitor's digital download (in a way) program in with copies of the game without clearing it with Gamestop.  That was rather douche-y of Square-Enix.

On the other hand, Gamestop is now openly admitting to telling its employees to open copies of the game and sell them as "new" to customers at full price.  That's rather douche-y of Gamestop, though this is certainly not the first time that Gamestop has been caught selling opened products as "new".

Personally, I bought the PS3 version, which didn't have the code, and I'm quite content with the game.  So I guess in the end I just don't care.  I'm more pissed by not being able to find copies of the strategy guide while 3 separate Gamestop employees whined at me that "Well, you should have pre-ordered it!" when they only ordered ONE copy of the damn thing per store.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:33:21 PM by broodwars »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 24, 2011, 07:40:30 PM »
I just got my awaited call from Gamestop. You are now looking at the newest employee at the Chehalis Gamestop.

Now watch as my score goes down 1000 points. I'm like the only person ever who loves Gamestop. XD

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #440 on: August 24, 2011, 08:04:46 PM »
I like GameStop too. They are not perfect, but I have rarely had a bad experience at one (though I don't like how the ones in the closest mall to me act since they re-arranged the store).

There are no reasons to avoid GameStop as a whole, maybe specific stores (though I was pissed when I tried the get the free Monster Hunter Tri demo and the douche employee told me I had to pre-order the game to get it. I was in a rush and didn't have time to argue with him that he was wrong).

As long as no one plays the game, a game IS new whether it's sealed or not. That is fact. You may not like it, but you are wrong if you say a game is used just because it's opened. In this specific case, it would be no different than if Square Enix put in coupon for something like "$5 off a game at Target", of course GameStop would be right in removing it.

I won't get into how stupid OnLive is and how their whole concept is crap.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 24, 2011, 08:26:37 PM »
Amazon & Ebay > Gamestop

BTW, what would Gamestop do if the code was printed on the game disc itself or in the instruction manual or something that they couldn't just toss out? What would they do then?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:30:47 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 24, 2011, 08:29:14 PM »
Congratulations! Your informative post has persuaded me to quit my job and denounce my like for Gamestop! All hail Amazon and eBay!

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 24, 2011, 08:34:39 PM »
Congratulations! Your informative post has persuaded me to quit my job and denounce my like for Gamestop! All hail Amazon and eBay!

Congratulations! You've made the right choice. ;)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 24, 2011, 08:36:33 PM »
As long as no one plays the game, a game IS new whether it's sealed or not. That is fact.

Then explain to me why Gamestop themselves will not let you return these "new" games which have only been opened and never played? Gamestop themselves don't even believe their own bullshit. Why do you?

Also, Ebay's listing policies say you can't list a video game as brand new if its been opened and I don't think you can on Amazon either.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 24, 2011, 08:39:10 PM »
I can buy a game and return it within seven games and get my money back. The only catch is they now sell that game at "used".

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 24, 2011, 08:41:25 PM »
I can buy a game and return it within seven games and get my money back. The only catch is they now sell that game at "used".

Even if its been opened? You get a full refund?
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 24, 2011, 08:43:23 PM »
Yes. I recently did it with an unopened copy of Uncharted 2 Game of the Year Edition. I got the extra stuff, then took it back for a full refund and bought a cheaper used copy of the original U2.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 24, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »
Last time I went there was to pick up a copy of Wolfenstein (2009) on the release day. They only had one copy in for some reason and it was the display. The case was empty and the game itself was filed away (and probably scratched up from being) in a paper sleeve. They expected me to pay full price for an opened and handling disc? No way. I walked across the parking lot and bought it at Wal-Mart instead, where they had dozens of copies sitting out. I didn't have to listen to some highschool dropout pitch pre-orders, frequent shopper cards, or lame-ass magazine subscriptions either.

The place is a glorified pawn shop. Buy online instead. Get it cheaper, usually without having to pay shipping (or taxes!).

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 24, 2011, 08:47:42 PM »
Actually, I could get 999 (and plenty other games) right now new from Gamestop's website for cheaper than any other online retailer that I know.

EDIT: ****, nevermind. They're out of stock online.