Author Topic: A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2009  (Read 5968 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2009
« on: March 08, 2009, 01:46:05 PM »
This Talkback thread is for discussing the year 2009 as presented in the PGC/NWR 10th Anniversary special.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=18067
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:48:43 PM by Lindy »
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 07:28:20 PM »
Congrats on making it 10 years, and thank you to everyone who has worked for the site. You guys (have there been any female staff members?) have made this one of my favorite video game websites, it's even my homepage. Keep up the good work.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 07:55:34 PM »
Couple of contenders that weren't mentioned: Henry Hatsworth for DS, and Cave Story for WiiWare.  I guess you could say The Conduit for Wii too, though I remain skeptical for now.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 08:17:34 PM »
I personally find it amazing how we can get endless droughts in releases, then get flooded all of a sudden.

Ever since 2009 started its been nothing but amazing releases on the Wii, especially from third parties. There are small, underrated titles like "Tenchu Stealth Assassins", "Deadly Creatures" and even "Sonic and the Black Knight" to rock solid, amazing titles like "Overkill", "Madworld" and freaking "Marble Saga Kororinpa"!

I think if people complain about not being any games to play on Wii they ARE ignoring them. Seriously if it wasn't for the fact that I am broke (my first paycheck went towards the needs) I would be buying a lot of games right now. The overflow of games on Wii is amazing to say the least.

Both "Punch-Out" and "Excitebots" look to be great spring/early summer releases and I know many will be playing those.

People have been whining and bitching about "Punch-Out" and it being a remake of some sorts. Why this is somewhat understandable I understand that Next Level Games wants both old and new gamers to come to this game, and the best way to do this is to pay homage to easily the best and most popular game on the series; Punch-Out on the NES. The characters are more recognized, the music is epic and the whole thing is more remembered than the old arcade games and Super NES sequel combined. So it makes sense that if Nintendo wants Punch-Out to return big their best best to tickle our nostalgia senses. Besides it looks and plays awesome so far, and there might be more content, so its silly to complain.

And yes, 2009 was the year we finally got a storage solution! It might have taken a while but the solution is so seamless its stupid to even complain about it (you know who you are).

I am still iffy on E3, though. I know that E3 will return to the big show that it was and apparently Nintendo has begun to hype it, but last year taught me to avoid hype and PR talk like the plague. I'll expect a great show when I see it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:10:53 PM »
Ha ha, wasn't expecting one of these for 2009. :)

The only game I bought which was released this year is Mario Power Tennis... and it could possibly be argued that it wasn't technically released this year.

It's amazing how I have no interest in any of the games mentioned in the Wii game of the year section. I hope I still can't say that by the time the year is over...

One of the things I think people aren't considering when they complain about Punch-Out!! is that, if the game is a success, we will likely see a sequel before long. Next Level Games is a small company and I'm sure they'd love to create a sure-fire hit, as then they can be really ambitious with the product and be assured it is going to sell. Besides, what have they worked on other than Punch-Out!! and Mario Strikers? It isn't like they have anything else to create.

I think if people complain about not being any games to play on Wii they ARE ignoring them.
What if people simply have no interest in such games, such as myself? However, I'm not complaining there is nothing good on Wii as there is still a sizable backlog I'm working through. I suppose if anyone does complain about the lineup then they either have very narrow taste or they just like to complain about everything. Maybe both.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 09:44:04 PM »
I think if people complain about not being any games to play on Wii they ARE ignoring them.
What if people simply have no interest in such games, such as myself? However, I'm not complaining there is nothing good on Wii as there is still a sizable backlog I'm working through. I suppose if anyone does complain about the lineup then they either have very narrow taste or they just like to complain about everything. Maybe both.

See, one thing is preference, the other is whining.

If someone says "Nothing on Wii interests me" then I really can't argue since its a matter of personal preference. But if someone says 'There's nothing good on Wii" and claims this as a fact then its just plain ignorance and fanboyism.

ALL three systems and the handhelds have their good games. You are likely to find at least ONE game to find on each system. To say that none have good games would be screaming ignorance.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »
Ha ha, wasn't expecting one of these for 2009. :)

2009 was always part of the plan.  I was going to write it before GDC, but I figured I might as well wait until after GDC since there'd surely be a lot more to write about.  I think the article was definitely better for it.  2009 was a LOT bigger than I thought it would be, though.  I was originally just going to do a Year In Review So Far article, then I figured that I might as well do a full-blown piece including GotY so far for each type.  I think it turned out pretty well.  Besides, we had to close out the decade properly!
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 01:28:33 AM »
I think it shows that Nintendo and the Wii has been delivering greatly in the first three months of 2009.

I just hope that the rest of 2009 proves to be as busy and exciting as the first half. I am very cautious of E3 2009. I don't care if God tells me it will be awesome; after last year's disaster I fear E3 more than anticipate it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 01:46:42 AM »
I am certain that my fellow Americans expect that on our entrance into the Electronics Entertainment Expo of two thousand and nine, Reggie will address them with a candor and a decision which the present situation of our people impel. This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly facing conditions in our country today.

This great Console will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert nongamers into remote-waggling soccer moms and dads. In every dark hour of our Wii bowling and Mario Karting life a leadership of frankness and vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory. I am convinced that you will again give that support to Reggie in these critical days.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 11:22:20 PM »
Umm... Yes Wii can?! ???

So far 2k9 has been generous. 3rd party support is trickling in, and hopefully it'll stay that way for the rest of the year. Also, GTA:China Town Wars.

I wonder how long it take for Shiggy kidnapping people meme to catch on.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 02:06:16 AM »
Umm... Yes Wii can?! ???

*ROTFLMAO*

Post of the goddamn year.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 02:16:00 AM »

When the "on rails" meme stops being funny.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 09:31:05 AM »
I think it shows that Nintendo and the Wii has been delivering greatly in the first three months of 2009.

I just hope that the rest of 2009 proves to be as busy and exciting as the first half. I am very cautious of E3 2009. I don't care if God tells me it will be awesome; after last year's disaster I fear E3 more than anticipate it.

What's the worst that could happen? Nothing. Why fear that? Even if nothing happens you won't lose anything.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 12:57:34 PM »

What's the worst that could happen? Nothing. Why fear that? Even if nothing happens you won't lose anything.

Yeah I understand that, but it seems that after E3 2006 and the forced change the organizers and leaders behind the show seem to have lost focus of the show. Last year it was too tame and boring, so now they decided to go back to the old formula.

But will they still be confused and lost? Most importantly, will companies play along or do their own thing?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 01:04:20 PM »
That stopped being funny before it even began.

I don't care how the actual presentation of E3 is handled, as long as I get some information about any new Mario game I'll be as happy as a... mop? Hm...

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 01:17:04 PM »
That stopped being funny before it even began.

I don't care how the actual presentation of E3 is handled, as long as I get some information about any new Mario game I'll be as happy as a... mop? Hm...

Many memes stop being funny before they begin, but we are too retarded to tell the difference so we just keep saying them over and over again till it clicks...then we keep using them on occasion, if only to make a witty reference...

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 01:21:15 PM »
Waiting for the influx of "guided zelda games" and "guided minigames."
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.