Author Topic: A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2004  (Read 11301 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2004
« on: March 08, 2009, 01:43:21 PM »
This Talkback thread is for discussing the year 2004 as presented in the PGC/NWR 10th Anniversary special.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=17967
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 07:17:01 PM by Lindy »
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2004
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:52:45 PM »
I just wanted to post a couple pictures from the DS launch:

Proof of Nintendo's hardware durability (at least pre-Wii).

Pre-orders: Serious business.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:21:16 PM »

Oh God, look at that beard!
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:58:26 PM »
Why the heck would they have any video game hardware hands-on event OUTSIDE?  It boggles the mind.  It's like getting married on a beach...it's one of those ideas that sounds good on paper, but in the real world courts disaster.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 09:21:55 PM »
What is that comment on Wii hardware? I have never had any problems with mine, and the percentage of people who do are minuscule.

Although I am a staunch defender of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, it is not the best game of 2004 IMO. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door was great (**** you Game Informer, you do NOT give a game a score based on what you think readers will think. You give it a score based on what YOU think). Pikmin 2 was also a great game.

Metroid: Zero Mission was the definition of perfect re-make, even the end-game bonus content (which brought us Zero Suit Samus) was nice.

2004 was pretty bleak for the DS (even the first half of 2005 was), so Super Mario 64 DS won by default. Although it looked nicer than the original N64 version, it was a pain in the ass to play with a d-pad or stylus control. I liked the mini-games though.

2004 was also pretty bleak for Nintendo, wasn't this the year that they actually halted production of GameCube's for awhile because low sales had caused them to have warehouses full of unsold systems?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:27:43 PM »
What is that comment on Wii hardware? I have never had any problems with mine, and the percentage of people who do are minuscule.
A good portion of the staff have had theirs repaired.  Perhaps the early adopter crowd skews the percentage, but it's not been "miniscule" in my experience.  Also, the whole dual-layer failure seemed to have affected a lot of people as Nintendo had a special section on their site just for handling that.  We're not talking RROD levels of failure, but no other console's been that faulty.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:29:35 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 09:41:25 PM »
Oh man, i must have missed that first photo of MegaByte's above when poking around for pics. I would have picked that one instead for the launch event photo in the article.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:59:17 PM »
My launch Wii still works perfectly fine. Same thing with my copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Maybe others are having problems, but every electronic device has some failure rate (although it does suck if you are one of the few people suffering from the failures).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 11:40:01 PM »
Yeah, so far I haven't had problems with my launch Wii, and I haven't taken terribly good care of it. But I haven't charged anything with my Wii USB ports, which I've heard often causes overheating problems.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 11:45:46 PM »
2004 was also pretty bleak for Nintendo, wasn't this the year that they actually halted production of GameCube's for awhile because low sales had caused them to have warehouses full of unsold systems?

As Mr.Kaluszka implied, by this time, the gaming press,'analysts', 3rd parties, rival fanboys pulled down their pants and took a proverbial diarrhea dump on Nintendo. It was coming from all directions.

I remember patiently waiting for Crystal Chronicles on that wintery day. The gamestop near me just got their shipment in, and booted it up, GBA in hand when I got home. I played solo because I coudn't anyone to play with... :-\ But I still had a blast dungeon crawling, and the random skits.

When I picked up MGS:The Twin Snakes, I was shocked at the game's length. Even going at a snail's pace, I beat the game in 2 weeks. But still, it was a fun romp at Shadow Moses Island. My favorite boss fight was Vulcan Raven, there was something satisfying by beating the brute by laying land mines that never got old.

Zelda:Four Swords adventures was an interesting spin off. I loved the LttP/4 swords style along with the clever use of GBA-Connectivity. By this time, even Nintendo knew it was useless to push this as a selling feature, but they went out with a bang wit this title.

Oh, Mega Man Anniversary collection. Or as I like to call it, the game of the summer. The most frustrating moment was trying to beat Yellow Devil in MM1. There was no select trick, so it had to be done the old fashioned way. When I finally did beat it, it was smooth sailing from there. Though the Wily levels in MM2 took me for a loop, since it ramped up the difficulty in comparison to the robot masters.

I didn't pick of Tales of Symphonia until early fall, but when I got it, it was the only game I wanted to play. I neglected papers and homework, oh I don't want to think about it. I was kind of glad when I beat it, as I could function normally again.

2004 was pretty bleak for the DS (even the first half of 2005 was), so Super Mario 64 DS won by default.

The DS had a quick turn around from the initial announcement around the end of Janurary, to launch in late November. It was slim pickings. Remember Ping Pals? The Ubisoft dating sim? Yeah...

When I was working a holiday job at a retailer of Games/Music/Movies, basketball player Rip Hamiliton from the Detroit Pistons showed up at my shift! This was the year they won the championship, so the metro area was abuzz with Pistons fever. Anyway he comes in, in his warmups, and his championship ring so big, it was dare I say, bling-blingin? Anyway, he asks me if they had a Nintendo DS, and once I got the bass back in my voice told him we were sold out. He kept walking around the store, while my store manager looked around to make sure he wasn't bothered. Also during this time, there was still demand for PS2/Xbox systems, whereas our store had to stop ordering 'Cubes because they weren't selling...

2004 saw big exclusives for each respective system: Halo 2, GTA:San Andreas, and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Whereas the Halo 2 and GTA sold millions in a few short weeks, MP 2  barely cracked the 6 figure mark. If the price cut of '03 was the writing on the wall, MP 2's sales figures was the pink slip. Gamers, 3rd parties quit on the 'Cube.

Granted, the arrival of Reggie and Twilight Princess were a breath of fresh air, we wouldn't see the fruit of the new Nintendo until later.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 12:59:46 AM »
When I picked up MGS:The Twin Snakes, I was shocked at the game's length. Even going at a snail's pace, I beat the game in 2 weeks.

You're going to love Mad World!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 02:20:50 AM »
My launch Wii still works perfectly fine. Same thing with my copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Maybe others are having problems, but every electronic device has some failure rate (although it does suck if you are one of the few people suffering from the failures).
My GameCube rolled down the interstate at high speed (I bought it from a friend in this condition) and it still worked.  I'm sure you've seen the video of the guys hooking it to the back of their truck, dragging it along, and having it still work.  I'm pretty sure no Wii would ever withstand that.
Nintendo hardware in the past had been a testament of quality, but two things happened this generation: 1. they had a quick ramp up of hardware manufacturing in China.  2. they chose to go for style over durability (e.g. also see DS Lite hinge issue)

But I haven't charged anything with my Wii USB ports, which I've heard often causes overheating problems.
Mine had overheating problems simply by running WC24.  I know of several cases of this with launch Wiis.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 02:22:44 AM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 03:24:18 AM »
My DS Lite had the hinge issue, but Nintendo fixed it for free.  However, they made sure to tell me: "NORMALLY WE DON'T DO THIS, BUT WE'LL MAKE AN EXCEPTION HERE..."  It's like shut up and fix my DS Lite, you dripping-in-money douchebags.

/rant
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 04:18:31 AM »
Tales was the GOTY for me. Echos was more of a good thing, but being a sequel automatically puts it on the back foot. Tales was the RPG on the GC. Paper Mario was good really good, but between the two, Tales edges out slightly with the far more interesting combat. Mario did have a much tighter, richer world. It was a tough year to pick GOTYs.

I didn't buy in to the DS until almost 2 years after launch. It just didn't have anything that compelled me to go get it until Advanced Wars DS came out. There are a lot parallels right now with the Wii. However a lot of personal things have stopped me from investing. On top of that heap is Wiimotion plus.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 11:10:50 AM »
Tales of Symphonia is a sequel, too.  I think Echoes is the more innovative sequel, and it is overall my favorite Metroid Prime, despite a few minor issues.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 11:24:41 AM »
NWR gets the game of the year wrong again, it's actually Pikmin 2. I don't know how improving on an already highly-impressive game like Pikmin in amost every way doesn't get GOTY. Instead it gets beaten by a de-evolved Metroid Prime.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 12:01:33 PM »
"MY NAME IS REGGIE..."

That was the start of the turn-around right there. Some people didn't believe, and 2005 was still a lean year, but it was at that point Nintendo turned itself around.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 12:12:49 PM »
Those complaining that they had their Wiis repaired... Be thankful the Wii is not a 360.

My first gen Wii still works fine despite...
- Having an SD card stuck inside the disc drive
- Being invaded by a colony of ANTS
- Falling on the floor
- Surviving long, long hours of gameplay

Note that my Wii came from the US. S_B got it for me, so it traveled overseas too.

Going back to 2004, I thought it was a great year overall. E3 was very, very epic, especially with the Twilight Princess reveal. Unlike some gamers I thought the DS was awesome and couldn't wait to get my hands on it. All the games looked really, really great, especially Wario Ware Touched and Metroid Prime Hunters.

I got my DS Phat on November 2004 at Wal-Mart and even if Mario 64 wasn't the most amazing game ever the touch screen games were great. Even writing on the title screen and messing around with it was surprisingly fun. "Feel the Magic" was great as well, it was basically the Raving Rabbids of the DS.

2004 was also the year I met Smash_Brother for the first time in real life, and one of the games we first played was "Four Swords Adventures". Despite the requirements I thought it was a solid multiplayer adventure. One of my all time favorite memories is when me and S_B dumped Tingle boiling lava and taping it. I also became kamikaze Link and died the most during the Ganon battle.

I never played "Crystal Chronicles".

We also got "Mario Power Tennis" on the GC, and while I thought it was brimming with charm, humor and great graphics it didn't captivate me as greatly as the original. I hope to give it another try on the Wii.

So yeah, it was a really solid year, don't know why people bash it.

Oh yeah, it was also Reggie's debut :) .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »
My launch-day Wii works find, too (first in line, biznatches!), aside from the Smash Bros. loading thing, which Nintendo fixed for free. I replaced my DS Phat the second the DS Lite came out, though, and I will similarly replace my DS Lite the day the DSi hits the shelves.

I am a consumer whore.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 03:53:56 PM »
My launch Wii still works like new

because I never play it

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 04:35:51 PM »
What's this? No mention of Sprung for the DS?

...PHAIL!!!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 06:09:07 PM »
My launch Wii still works like new

because I never play it

Too hardkoar for ya? Not racist enough?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:10:52 PM by pap64 »
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 07:04:18 PM »
I missed a good number of games this year. No Prime 2, no Zero Mission, No Tales, No Paper Mario. I got Pikmin 2, Warrio Within, Need For Speed Underground 2, Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords.
I also passed sadly on Twin Snakes until the beginning of 2007.

I passed on a DS Phat all together due to the lack of solid games released yet.

This was also the start of a big change for me because by the end of 2004 I knew I would be going off to college next year after a long hiatus post-high school graduation. Since I knew this was coming I had begun to save more money and spend less on games. I think it also signaled my eventual drift away from gaming and game news sites, though that wouldn't be realized for another year until I was actually at school.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 07:22:14 PM »
For some weird reason Pikmin 2 failed to truly captivate me. It should have because its by far the best game in the whole series. There's no time limit (though you still have to be at the ship before night falls), the collection of items is both quirky and fun, the addition of Louie makes for some compelling strategies and just about every aspect has been polished greatly. Yet despite all of this I could never go beyond the first world. It just... To be honest, I just don't know why I stopped playing. And every time I tried playing from the beginning I would give up and lose interest.

Its one of the bigger mysteries I've faced in my gaming life.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 07:24:37 PM »
For some weird reason Pikmin 2 failed to truly captivate me. It should have because its by far the best game in the whole series. There's no time limit (though you still have to be at the ship before night falls), the collection of items is both quirky and fun, the addition of Louie makes for some compelling strategies and just about every aspect has been polished greatly. Yet despite all of this I could never go beyond the first world. It just... To be honest, I just don't know why I stopped playing. And every time I tried playing from the beginning I would give up and lose interest.

Its one of the bigger mysteries I've faced in my gaming life.

That is strange. I know I lost interest after getting out of debt, but that is truly an anomaly. Is the first level all that un-compelling?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast