Author Topic: A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2002  (Read 12381 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2002
« on: March 08, 2009, 01:42:15 PM »
This Talkback thread is for discussing the year 2002 as presented in the PGC/NWR 10th Anniversary special.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=17941
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 07:59:22 PM by Lindy »
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2002
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:09:19 AM »
2002 was a awesome year for GameCube owners. Super Mario Sunshine was a great game. I think most of the haters were just upset that it was more of an evolution rather than a revolution like Super Mario 64. There was nothing really wrong with the game.

Animal Crossing was a surprise hit. I was excited after reading a preview in Game Informer and played the game every day for like 2 1/2 years.

Metroid Prime is still a great game over 6 years after launch. Hell, I plan on paying the $30 to get the New Play Control! version even though I have bought the game twice before (both times were used copies though, so this will be the first time Nintendo gets my money for it).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 12:26:30 AM »
Nothing wrong with Super Mario Sunshine? Two words: blue coins. I agree it is a great game and is undeserving of some of the hate it receives, but it is still painfully obvious the game was rushed.

Although we all know the real best game of the year 2002 was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 on the Nintendo 64. :)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 12:44:52 AM »
I disagree, Mop: I thought those coins were purple.  ;)

Super Mario Sunshine doesn't deserve the hate it gets these days--it had some awesome stuff in it. But it was indeed rough around the edges, and some of the required shines were a tad difficult for the average Mario gamer.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 12:47:54 AM »
Mario Sunshine was a bit rushed, but it still is my favorite 3-D Mario game followed by Galaxy. I personally loved the setting and it did some really neat things with the Mario formula (I enjoyed most of the boss fights, some of which utilized the whole stage). The purple coin finding was poorly implemented though (Also it was a travesty you didn't really get anything decent if you trudge through to 120 shines), but like Wind Waker, the sum of its parts made it one of my favorite games of all times.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 12:51:45 AM »
Purple coins were in Mario Galaxy, blue coins are in Sunshine. Adjust the contrast on your television! :P

The difficult parts for people were probably the pure platforming segments where you're stripped of the water pack. I personally loved these challenging segments as they made you rethink how you're going to achieve success without the safety of the water pack. If you make a slight misstep you can't save yourself with the water booster, so you have to be careful. It's almost like the game had two styles of play!

It's been some time since I've played Sunshine though... I need to find some time to give it a go.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:07:34 AM »
Sunshine was great because it gave you the option of how you want to approach objectives. If you want to challenge yourself and not use the waterpack unless required, but on the flip side you could find creative ways to get to your goal using the waterpack (sometimes much easier).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 01:29:19 AM »
Shine Get became a meme for my little sister an I. When she watched me play Sunshine, or even replaying Super Mario 64, we'd both yell out Shine Get! when I got a shine or a star.

Shine Get!

Remember when 'Cel-dal' was a banned word on a number of forums because of the controversy it stirred up?

Also, Sunshine had blue coins just like Mario 64. It was Galaxy that broke the mold with purple ones.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 01:31:12 AM »
2002 The Gamecube came onto the horizon for me. I wanted to get the Batman:TAS series game. Of course, that game was terrible. I'm glad I waited until 2003

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 03:21:48 AM »
I probably yelled "Shine Get!" for every single shine in the game.  But I was playing the Japanese version, so that just meant reading what was on the screen.  ;-)  I still love the game and intend to play through it again some day.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 03:22:58 AM »
BTW, that photo of Billy and Rick with that big GameCube poster is priceless.
Nintendo World Report

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 06:57:04 AM »
Damn, 2002 was a lot more epic than I seemed to remember. Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, Animal Crossing, Eternal Darkness, AND Super Mario Sunshine. These are some of my favorite games of that generation, and Super Mario Sunshine is probably tied for my favorite 3D Mario with 64.

I remember when that E3 DVD came out. Man I really wanted one, but for some reason just never bit the bullet. Later it went on fire sale with the damn T-shirt and I still didn't budge (though I was a poor college student at that point). Ah well, I'm sure it was awesome, and I bet one day I'll get to check out its awesomeness.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Justin Nation

• Programmer, Senior Editor, Daddy
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • MAMEiac Gaming
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 07:16:45 AM »
Have to agree with the people giving some love to Mario Sunshine. Though it is probably the one Mario game I've never beat to completion (timing was bad and haven't returned) the levels where you had the water pak stripped from you were like crack for me. Talk about some ridiculously hard old-school platforming but in 3D, I would buy a game of just levels like that and enjoy the hell out of it. That's one thing I loved about Galaxy, some of the levels you needed to beat to get everything in the game were plain evil in their construction and I wouldn't have it any other way. Bring on the challenge!
Justin Nation
Resident Dinosaur, Occasional Contributor, Daddy
MAMEiac Gaming
Administrator, The Nintendo Switch Fan Community (Facebook Group)
"People are stupid"

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 12:16:58 PM »
Sega Soccer Slam = highly underrated.

Metroid Prime was one of my most anticipated releases for a long time and this was a great payoff. Can't wait for the NPC! version.
I want to go back and play more Sunshine because I never beat it. One of these days I guess...
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 12:25:37 PM »
This article makes me wanna finish Sunshine.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 05:08:06 PM »
Well to be fair with NWR I don't think there are many haters of SMS here. Not like other places, which is nice because I think a lot of it is undeserved.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 05:49:55 PM »
Sunshine has had its fair share of bashing on these boards.. but yeah, definitely undeserving of it.
Also, three of my nine favourite GameCube games (MP, ED, Sunshine) came out this year, so it was a great year overall.

2001: SSBM (1st tier)

2002: MP (3rd tier), ED (2nd tier), Sunshine (2nd tier)

2003: F-Zero (1st tier), Wind Waker (3rd tier)

2004: Pikmin 2 (1st tier)

2005: Jungle Beat (2nd tier), RE4 (3rd tier)

So yeah, I guess 2002 should be my favourite year in the Cube era. Though 2003 wins it by default because of F-Zero.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 05:51:51 PM »
Metroid Prime was the first game in a good while that gave me that 'giddy gamers joy' when I was playing it. Kind of like the feeling you get when you first play a new console or a revolutionary game. The last game before Prime was probably Super Mario 64 for me. Maybe Star Fox 64 with the rumble pack.
My Game Collection

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 06:34:26 PM »
Wow, remember when I said that 2001 was EPIC? Forget that. 2002 was the year of EPICNESS. Wind Waker remains in my Top 3, Sunshine has sunk a little since its first boot-up (Christ, with the blue coins), and Metroid Prime is probably my favorite FPS...not that I'm super familiar with the genre.

So yeah. 2002 rocked.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 07:17:55 PM »
Man, I completed missed this!
2001. It was an average year for me, but gaming did rock out loud.

I agree that Mario Sunshine is a bit underrated. In fact, I compare it to Super Mario Bros. 2. Both games came right after groundbreaking games, both are somewhat weird in their interpretation of the Mario universe and both feature gimmicks that gamers either love or hate (SMB 2 has the pulling, throwing, four character dynamic and such, while Sunshine has FLUDD). But both are really solid entries that are very enjoyable.

People whine that the story is bad. I say its so bad its good. I mean, I DIED when Bowser Jr. appeared and said "Mama Peach"! And that ending? AWESOME!

Anyone remember "Starfox Adventures"? It was a good game, had some great graphics and some solid storytelling but I played it once and never touched it again. I was completely satisfied the first time and never bothered to look back.

"Sonic Collection" also came out for the GC and it was awesome. I got the game on Christmas and it was awesome reliving my Genesis memories.

"Sonic Adventure 2 Battle" also came out and I thought it was a solid title, despite the somewhat boring side quests.

I completely missed out on "Mario Party 4".

Man, you guys remember "Hexx", or whatever his name was? It was a platforming game from Acclaim that tried VERY hard to be a hardcore game but ended up being pathetic and very bad.

Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance also came out and I was surprised at how good it was. I actually became addicted to it and had my mind set on collectible every crap in the game, as well as mastering the characters.

...What else came out in 2002?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 07:30:11 PM »
Have to agree with the people giving some love to Mario Sunshine.

Count me in.  I've never even played the American version through to the end thanks to the import extravaganza mentioned above, but I really did enjoy the game.  There might have been a few bad spots, but they were worth stomaching.

Someday I'm going to replay it.  I think I'm more fond of it than Galaxy.

Metroid Prime was the first game in a good while that gave me that 'giddy gamers joy' when I was playing it. Kind of like the feeling you get when you first play a new console or a revolutionary game. The last game before Prime was probably Super Mario 64 for me. Maybe Star Fox 64 with the rumble pack.

I was going through a religious phase when Prime was released.  It's hard to explain, but at that moment I was getting pretty serious about God.  So I'm playing Metroid Prime, locked in my room with the lights off, and my little brother (age 20) comes in and tries to get me to go to church...   I don't remember what words were spoken, but I know I that I wasn't about to stop playing Prime just to go to church.  Prime was lack crack for me.  It felt like God himself came down and designed a game just for me.  No wonder I didn't want to go to church.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:36:19 PM by Rize »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 07:43:32 PM »

Count me in.  I've never even played the American version through to the end thanks to the import extravaganza mentioned above, but I really did enjoy the game.  There might have been a few bad spots, but they were worth stomaching.

I was going through a religious phase when Prime was released.  It's hard to explain, but at that moment I was getting pretty serious about God.  So I'm playing Metroid Prime, locked in my room with the lights off, and my little brother (age 20) comes in and tries to get me to go to church...   I don't remember what words were spoken, but I know I that I wasn't about to stop playing Prime just to go to church.  Prime was lack crack for me.  It felt like God himself came down and designed a game just for me.  No wonder I didn't want to go to church.

The Church of Prime?  ;)
My youth group had game systems set up half the time so I just gamed at church! We had a huge Mario Kart party once. Smash Brothers Melee was also rocked that night but not as much as MK for some reason. When did Double Dash come out? I would assume that was 2003 since it isn't mentioned here? There were also Goldeneye and Halo tournaments as well in the past. DDR and Rock Band are also popular for those types of youth gatherings.
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 09:22:20 PM »
D

I was going through a religious phase when Prime was released.  It's hard to explain, but at that moment I was getting pretty serious about God.  So I'm playing Metroid Prime, locked in my room with the lights off, and my little brother (age 20) comes in and tries to get me to go to church...   I don't remember what words were spoken, but I know I that I wasn't about to stop playing Prime just to go to church.  Prime was lack crack for me.  It felt like God himself came down and designed a game just for me.  No wonder I didn't want to go to church.

When did Double Dash come out? I would assume that was 2003 since it isn't mentioned here? There were also Goldeneye and Halo tournaments as well in the past. DDR and Rock Band are also popular for those types of youth gatherings.

Double Dash came out in November 2003.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 12:29:06 AM »
2002... I just remember buying 'Cube games just about year round. Sonic Adventure 2 was one of my favorites. Sure it didn't have as much Sonic/Shadow levels that I wanted, but I dug the eclectic soundtrack.

I got the REmake, and was confused from the get go. It wasn't until  I got a strategy guide that I was able to play the game properly.

I got Eternal Darkness and the Wavebird at the same time. Still one of my all time favorites, game and controller. When I plugged in that controller, There was no going back to wires.

I got Beach Spikers, which I had a blast with its arcade style gameplay. The ubiquitous sunshine followed soon after, and I picked up a surround sound system a little later. Man, did Sunshine sound good...

I wasn't intent on picking up Animal Crossing, but my best friend bought it on impulse when he was back in my area for the semester, and I followed suit. Whenever we hung out, we made sure to take care of Animal Crossing business first. I also picked up Star Fox adventures, but never beat it. I got stuck in the Test of Fear, where you had to slide the control stick accordingly. I just couldn't do it, and eventually traded it back later.

I got Capcom Vs SNK 2 EO, and wasn't fully comfortable with the controls. C-sticking seemed kind of cheap for me, but I soldiered on.

Last but not least, it was RE0, Metroid Prime and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. I played Baldur's Gate on PC back in the day, and was eager to jump in to some familiar haunts. Also, kick ass [strike]midget[/strike] dwarf.

I picked up a GBA in February 2002 with 2 games, and a lighting accessory, because it sure needed it. I picked up Sonic Advance and Mario Advance 2.  I picked up Golden Sun during the summer, and a link Cable just in time for Animal Crossing. I miss Animal Island... :'(

I'm surprised you didn't mention Rare and Nintendo splitting ways. Jumping into Microsoft's arms no less. That was kind of a big deal...

Oh and the forum debates about Celda. There have been many a forum wars after, but this one is still one of the most passionate ones to date.

Also, that slick LCD monitor from E3 2002 never got released. There were other alternatives, but none as cool as that one.

No need for Hindsight/Sarcasm moment but do consider this. Splinter Cell for the Xbox outsold Metroid Prime head-to-head during the holiday season IIRC. I don't know about lifetime sales, but one could pinpoint the beginning of the end for the 'Cube at that particular moment...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 12:44:59 AM »
Yeah, the Rare-Nintendo split up kind of seems like an oversight on our part. But the debates over Wind Waker don't really have a place in the 2002 write-up, IMO.
Nintendo World Report