Author Topic: A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2001  (Read 8987 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2001
« on: March 08, 2009, 01:41:48 PM »
This Talkback thread is for discussing the year 2001 as presented in the PGC/NWR 10th Anniversary special.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=17934
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 08:00:13 PM by Lindy »
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2001
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:54:46 PM »
2001 was a great year. Conker's Bad Fur Day, Dr. Mario 64, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Super Monkey Ball, Super Smash Bros. Melee were all great games I enjoyed and would still play (although Conker might not look good anymore).

Personally I would go with Super Mario Advance for handheld game of the year (or Pokemon Crystal).

Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 12:45:03 AM »
Super Smash Brothers Melee is definitely my most-played game on any system, and considering how Brawl turned out almost the exact opposite of it, it will probably remain that way. I'll be playing this long after the GameCube becomes a centerpiece at a videogaming museum.

Conker's Bad Fur Day was probably the Nintendo 64's last hurrah, although I also enjoyed Paper Mario, Dr. Mario 64, and Mario Party 3. Still a few great games released during the N64's darkest hour.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 01:06:01 AM »
Gross SSBM. I meant sure I played it heaps and enjoyed it greatly, but it's nowhere near the best game on the Gamecube or of the last console generation. Nowhere near.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 01:12:14 AM »
I give this year 3 out of 5 stars. Not enough pictures of the staff groping strangers. ;)

In the year 2001 I was playing Deus Ex and Hitman. Man, those were great games.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 01:37:11 AM »

On the 2000 thread I mentioned that at first I liked Kirby 64 but didn't think it was that great. In hopes of not sounding corny or emotional, on Sept.11 2001 the news did nothing but cover the disaster, from the morning it happened till very late in the night. It was so strong and so tiring that I decided to rent a game and try to forget what had happened. I decided to rent "Kirby 64" because its bright and cheery content made is a tad easier to forget reality. I played the game on that day for so long I became fond of it. To this day its the only game I have used to escape real world events.

But moving on from the emo fest...

2001 was great for gaming. While the DC was slowly dying both the XBOX and PS2 were strutting their stuff. MGS 2 was about to be released and it was the game everybody kept talking about. Jak and Daxter proved to be a worthy platformer, one that I played for quite a while. Finally, there was "Final Fantasy X", which received a very sudden late December release.

Because of the GC hype the N64 was almost a blur for me that year. I played "Paper Mario" and while I thought it was cute it just didn't please me as well as I expected. I was still infatuated with "Super Mario RPG" and refused to accept it as part of the RPG series.

Believe or not, I never fully played "Conker" till the XBOX remake in 2005. That's because video stores were still focusing on the PSone and the PS2 in order to care for the N64.

But I remember the hype. It was amazing how one game that started as yet another cute platformer ended up being South Park as interpreted by the furries at Rare.

E3 2001 was epic for Nintendo. I remember laughing and cheering at the major game announcements, including Luigi's Mansion and Smash Brothers Melee.

I picked up my GC at a Wal-mart during black friday 2001. It was the ONLY instance this could be done (try doing this with the Wii :p). I also picked up a memory card and Luigi's Mansion.

Luigi's Mansion...

Its perhaps one of the most underrated Nintendo titles yet. Sure it was a tech demo for lighting and texture effects, but the simple gameplay was engrossing and the game had great atmosphere. The music and graphics were fantastic and the ghost catching mechanic was fantastic. It definitely made me appreciate Luigi far more. I liked this game so much that I wish Nintendo would make it part of their "Play on Wii" series, or even better a sequel using Motion Plus for deep control.

Pikmin was a title that I didn't care for when announced, but ended up loving it when I finally got it alongside Melee on Christmas Morning.

The game won me over with its charm. The minute I used the C-stick to move my guys around I had a big smile on my face and couldn't put the game down.

SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE

Man oh man...This game made me love people, hate people and thanks to it I ended up gaining a friend in a very unexpected place.

At this time while I was browsing PGC for news I was an IGN regular, especially the Melee forum. The hype was huge and we did nothing but discuss the game till it came out. We even had a guy who knew Japanese and translated every post Sakurai made on Tuesdays and Thursdays to see if any new info was leaked.

Remember the rumor of a Perfect Dark stage being in Melee? Remember the trophies being hints at secret characters?

November rolled around. The game was already out in Japan and we were set for both hype and disappointment. When news of the final roster was leaked people went nuts, myself included. It simply sucked. The only ones promising enough were Marth and Mr. Game and Watch, simply because they were very obscure.

But no one was more mad than this jerk named Smash_Brother. See, he was the mod of the SSB forum and a HUGE fan of the original. When Melee came out he was so, so disappointed by it that he made several threads explaining his discontent with the game. I kept bashing him in both threads and a chat room we had outside the forums.

I was too hyped for Melee and refused to see it as being a failure. In the end I liked the game, but I had to swallow my pride and admit S_B was right. When IGN closed and went Insider only many of us had to find other sites to hang. I discover this small site, and find out that S_B was not only a mod there, HE WAS AN ADMIN!

I was too angry, but was bored so I stuck around.

In the end, we ended up being best friends both online and real life.

Moral of the story; You'll find alliances in the weirdest of places.

But enough about me.

I completely avoided Super Monkey Ball at launch. Once more, I was too hyped for Melee in order to care for any other game. I finally played it in 2005 and I kick myself in the balls for being a dumb **** and avoiding this great game at launch.

Wave Race Blue Storm was an OK game. I still liked the N64 game better but it was good.

2001 was also the launch of the GBA. I actually got it for my Birthday from my dad. I got the handheld along with "Super Mario Advance" and "Konami Krazy Racers". It was the best summer of my life...OK not really but the GBA did make it memorable.

Later in the year I played "Mario Kart Super Circuit". It was a good game, but it ranks very low in my list of favorite MK games.

Wario Land 4 was all kinds of awesome. The music, the graphics, the gameplay, fantastic... Best of all, I got it as a present for doing so great on my first year of college! :D

But I rambled long enough, carry on.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 01:45:11 AM »
...Oh yes! How could I forget the epic Resident Evil announcement! I remember the announcement was made on the same week as 9/11 and things were bittersweet. As a gamer it was awesome because Capcom announced that not only was the game being remade the entire series were going to be Nintendo exclusive (which you all know was BS until RE 4). As a human being the constant depressing news sucked the life out of you.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 02:30:20 AM »
Gross SSBM. I meant sure I played it heaps and enjoyed it greatly, but it's nowhere near the best game on the Gamecube or of the last console generation. Nowhere near.
I can understand if you think other GameCube games were better than Melee. I don't understand how you can dismiss a game MANY people bought played regularly for five years. Besides, I used the word "perhaps", and "game of the console/generation" doesn't necessarily mean the best game, but instead the most iconic game.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 02:51:36 AM »
Yes, I've had my issues with Melee but even then I wouldn't deny its importance in the GC era. Despite our beef with it me and S_B played the game heavily, always looking for formidable opponents as well as challenging each other in duels. My battles in Melee actually made me a better Brawl player thanks to me being challenged by many players in Melee.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 04:28:02 AM »
I am so glad to hear someone else put Golden Sun it it's place. I don't understand why it is on such a lofty pedestal in some gamers minds and why people are still clamoring for a sequel.

A nice read and a good supplement that complements the podcast. I listened to the RFN episode and then hopped online and read the 2k1 article.

I remember hating Melee at first because of how different it felt to me. but I adapted and then the same thing happened when I first got Brawl. Just a transitional thing I guess.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 07:17:12 AM »
Man 2001 was a crazy year for me. Played the hell out of my N64 straight up until the day the Cube came out. Shortly before the Cube came out, a friend of mind pointed out this kick ass website that was covering everything GameCube and seemed to have the inside scoop. The guy told me that the owner even moved to freakin' Japan to go get better coverage for his fans. Well naturally I checked it out, and have been a reader of the site till this very day; well actually, a contributor now...

Anyway, a few weeks later, I camped out for my Cube at a local Walmart, and was second in line for the midnight launch. Picked up Tony Hawk 3, and Rogue Squadron 2, which I had played for literally hours at a local Target because it was so damn gorgeous. Played the hell out of both of those games, and then between myself and 3 other friends, we all continuously rented Melee till the day it came out since we all had asked for it for Christmas. Took a few weeks to get into it, but by the time school had started back up the subsequent year we had all found our mains and started playing seriously. We would continue to play Melee religiously till this very day (Brawl can suck it).

The same 2001 Christmas, my brothers and I had also received Super Monkey Ball, Luigi's Mansion, and Pikmin as Christmas gifts (our only Christmas gifts). I purchased Blue Storm shortly before Christmas as well as 2 memory cards and 2 controllers. Yes, 2001 rocked hard. I loved my Cube so hard in 2001 it wasn't even funny.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 11:10:22 AM »
This was the year I found Planet GameCube!!!!

Also, I remember getting my last N64 game before GameCube came out: Hybrid Heaven.

I didn't get my GameCube until Christmas, but my friend got it at launch and I remember going over to his house and playing Super Monkey Ball and Luigi's Mansion. I think I walked home thinking that Super Monkey Ball was one of the best multiplayer games I had ever played. Two weeks later, Melee came out and stole that throne.

But I remember getting a GameCube, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Batman Vengeance, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 on Christmas, and picking up Wave Race: Blue Storm and Pikmin with Christmas money the day after.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 11:33:35 AM »
I got my GameCube for Christmas from my girlfriend at the time.  She's no longer around, but my GameCube is still with me.  I'd say things worked out perfectly.  ;-)
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 06:46:20 PM »
I remember I was at a career counselor meeting when a friend mentioned in passing that the Toys R Us had a demo kiosk for the Gamecube. I ditched classes for the day and took a completely new bus route to find the mall and sat at the kiosk playing Rogue Squadron 2 for hours. I missed the bus I needed to take to make it back home since I rode the city bus to my high school and then took the school bus home (I was one of those high school students that got to go to community college to earn both high school and college credit). So I was stuck at my high school until my folks were able to come get me much later. It was so worth it though.
My Game Collection

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 06:51:08 PM »
I went to the E3 2001 Nintendo Press Conference and witnessed Nintendojo's wardrobe and language skills firsthand.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 06:53:15 PM »
I went to the E3 2001 Nintendo Press Conference and witnessed Nintendojo's wardrobe and language skills firsthand.

You talking about the site or Nintendo?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 06:54:27 PM »

What years were the 'Shine Get!' video from and when did Miyamoto say "I love PlanetGamecube!"? Was that a later year?

That was hilarious to see. One of the greatest mistakes in videogame journalism history.
My Game Collection

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 06:56:35 PM »

You talking about the site or Nintendo?

Nintendo 2001 stuffs in general.  I was part of a small media outlet at the time and we scored invites.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 07:13:29 PM »

What years were the 'Shine Get!' video from and when did Miyamoto say "I love PlanetGamecube!"? Was that a later year?

That was hilarious to see. One of the greatest mistakes in videogame journalism history.

Yeah, that happened in 2002.

I believe I still have the Planet Gamecube DVD which had the famous Miyamoto quote as well as videos of both bad and canceled games. Its epic to say the least.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 11:58:46 PM »
we had all found our mains and started playing seriously.
Smash Brothers is a lighthearted fighting game intended to contrast the seriousness of your average fighter. You're playing it wrong!

I wonder how much that Planet GameCube DVD would sell for on eBay...

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 12:29:29 AM »
What I remember about the first part of 2001 was how people were programming fully functional emulators for the GBA even before it was released in North America!

2001 was the year I graduated high school, so my n64 days were over, as friends eventually went their separate ways for college... (I was still on that Diablo II though, good times, good times.)

Reading some of  those Gamecube launch stories made giggle inside. It seemed that Funcoland, Babbages, and Software Etc still existed in some parts of the country whereas in my area, Gamestop(or Gamestop.com as I remember the sign) began their conquest in 2000.

My best friend who come home for holiday break showed off his Gamecube; I knew I had to get one. He told me how he had to navigate the mean streets of Pittsburgh (He went to University of Pittsburgh at the time.) to get one. After visiting 7 stores he got one. When it came for my turn, I stopped at Best Buy, and BAM, got a jet black. My friend was so pissed...

Got Rouge Leader and Melee, and played those during the day, Diablo II at night. After my friends left for college again, Melee got a little tedious. Melee didn't immediately catch on as the party game in my area until mid 2002...

Last bit about non-nintendo games for this post: I still remember the MGS2 hype. Yet for some reason, some of the reputable gaming sites sang its praises without really going into detail. The backlash from gamers was, and still is hilarious. In its place, PS2 gamers were flocking towards an un-hyped game that changed gaming forever...GTA III.

Say what you will about Halo 1 now, but one can say that it was the last game that single handedly kept a console afloat until the 3rd party cavalry arrived.

Caution! Hindsight/Sarcasm zone!

Here's something that I dug in NWR's archive. It was concerning Zelda on the 'Cube.

What we have to do next is work on the details of the storyline, but we first want to see what can be done with Gamecube controller. At this point Link is running around the screen and looks very cute and adorable.

Bolding mine. Man, we should have read the signs... :P

And this was the clincher. I'm sure NWR's write up for 2002 will mention this in way or another, so we can re-open up old wounds later...  ;)

Last bit, I promise. This was the conference call around Space World.

Nintendo targets kids, since they have the most TIME to play games. They are the only manufacturer that SERIOUSLY targets kids. Kids are the purest and truest judges of game quality. Hardest thing in the business is to make a game that is not too childlike or too mature, but is still fun. (Mario)

First-Party titles in development for older demographic? Wave Race, Eternal Darkness. Nintendo is going to protect the younger market “at all costs,” then focus on older market.

Funny thing is, Sony and Microsoft never actively courted the children. They were content to pigeon hole the 'Cube as 'teh kitty!', and drove that point home.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 03:23:34 AM »
I wonder how much that Planet GameCube DVD would sell for on eBay...

I'd like to know that myself, since I still have a couple dozen of them left from the re-order.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 03:30:47 PM »
2001 was EPIC. Back then, I was actually questioning whether to buy an Xbox. I picked up my first Game Informer as the 'Cube vs. 'Box was their cover story. Even though the lil' 'Cube was technically underpowered, I swooned for Mario Sunshine and Windwaker. Microsoft just didn't have the franchises I gave a crap about.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 04:47:20 PM »
I was questioning whether to ask for a PS2 or a GameCube for Christmas. My eventual decision led me to this very site.

I really made the right choice.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"