Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations  (Read 198203 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations
« Reply #325 on: July 30, 2010, 03:36:59 PM »
Now that you've told us the next RetroActive will be on DS games,

Did they say that during a RFN podcast? I haven't listened in a few weeks and they did not mention that on the forums.

Also, what is that last game you want to nominate? No such game exists. The two DS Advance Wars games are Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. Actually, I just checked ad apparently DOR was called this in PAL regions (who knows why).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #326 on: July 30, 2010, 03:55:06 PM »
If the DS game thing is real, I'm nominating Kirby's Canvas Curse.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 30, 2010, 03:59:34 PM »
Did they say that during a RFN podcast? I haven't listened in a few weeks and they did not mention that on the forums.

Also, what is that last game you want to nominate? No such game exists. The two DS Advance Wars games are Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. Actually, I just checked ad apparently DOR was called this in PAL regions (who knows why).

Episode 201. Someone gave a shout-out to The World Ends With You, and Jonny mentioned it would appear in an upcoming DS poll.

And yes, Dark Conflict is the European subtitle for Days of Ruin. If I say a game title that's slightly different to one you know, it's safe to assume it is the PAL difference, which I agree often makes no sense.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #328 on: July 30, 2010, 04:31:47 PM »
I didn't know you were European until I just checked your profile, I apologize (for not knowing you are European, not that you are European LOL). I haven't played the second AW DS game, but I did like the first (including the dual screen battles, which seem to not be that popular on message boards).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #329 on: July 30, 2010, 07:24:51 PM »
Pretty sure the only systems that haven't been covered on RetroActive would be the DS and the Wii. So unless there's another Second Chance poll or another theme poll coming, the DS and Wii would be up.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 30, 2010, 07:45:01 PM »

You know, I didn't care much for Canvas Curse, but I recently (finally) picked up Squeak Squad... good game, so far.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 30, 2010, 09:31:07 PM »
I'm nominating New Super Mario Brothers. What impact did it have? How does it compare to other Mario platformers? How much better is the Wii version?

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #332 on: July 30, 2010, 11:38:56 PM »

You know, I didn't care much for Canvas Curse, but I recently (finally) picked up Squeak Squad... good game, so far.
UB, I respect your opinion, but I hope this is some sort of perverse joke. Squeak Squad has horrible level design, crummy music, and lazy visuals. Canvas Curse isn't a "normal" Kirby game, so I can understand your distaste, but it's a far better game....
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 31, 2010, 12:47:03 AM »
Sorry - So far, I'm liking Squeak Squad.  I've only just beaten level 3, so, perhaps something later in the game will sink it.

I'm not sure where your dislike of the music comes from.  Unoriginal, perhaps, but it's all pretty much classic Kirby tunes.  I will say, some of the power ups could have used some work, but the system for unlocking new abilities is nice.

As for level design, Kirby games (at least, the ones I've played) are generally pretty straight forward.  There are some secrets (a lot in Great Cave Offensive), but, mostly, it's about getting from Point A to Point B.

I'm nominating New Super Mario Brothers. What impact did it have? How does it compare to other Mario platformers? How much better is the Wii version?
Considering I play NSMB virtually every day (at least three times a week, unless a certain co-worker is on vacation). I'd have trouble putting this game in RetroActive.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:49:17 AM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #334 on: July 31, 2010, 12:56:28 AM »
I don't see how any DS games could be part of RetroActive, NSMB came out about 4 years ago.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 31, 2010, 01:09:23 AM »
Jonny said on RFN recently that there's going to be a DS RetroActive poll coming up. It was an offhand mention; I don't remember the exact context.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 31, 2010, 10:31:08 AM »
RetroActive can be about whatever they damn well want.

I'll nominate:
Glory Days 2 (nobody played it but it can be found cheaply in many places, I often see new copies for 7€ at GameStop)
Giana Sisters DS (again not played by many and around 15€ in many places now, would offer a comparison to the NSMB games)
Eledees: The Adventures of Kai & Zero (not sure about availability)
Anno: Create A New World (bargain bins are now filled with it, guess not many played it)
Barnyard Blast: Swine of the Night ( :P: )

I think all of these aren't commonly played so many people would have a new experience.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #337 on: July 31, 2010, 01:01:04 PM »
How is it "retro" to talk about a game that is only 2 or 3 years old? Would a movie like I Am Legend be considered retro since it came out in 2007 (considering you want to nominate Elebits: The Adventures of Kai & Tai, which came out in June 2008)?

The only way I could really see DS being even new retro would be if the games were limited to those that came out between November 2004 (the systems launch) and June 2005, MAYBE the rest of 2005 too. The staff are free to do what they want, but I don't think that a game which is only 2 years old fits the spirit of what RetroActive is supposed to be. Anno: Create A New World is even worse since it is only slightly more than a year old since it came out in mid-2009.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 31, 2010, 02:48:26 PM »
Considering how short lived games are I think any game that's "dead" is fine. I don't think retro is realy the point of it, just going back to things that haven't been popular and checking them out together.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #339 on: July 31, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »
But it is RetroActive, keyword. Besides, if a game bombs and is no longer being published after 2 months you think it should be eligible? I'm sorry, but I don't think recent games should not even be considered for the feature.

Assuming they do intend to go through with DS, I will stick with the spirit of RetroActive and nominate only early DS games:

Advance Wars: Dual Strike - Great strategy game, I really loved the matches that took place on both screens. If you have one of the GBA games, you can buy additional maps in the Shop.
Kirby Canvas Curse - First game to really take advantage of the touchscreen and a real departure for the series.
Mario Kart DS - Many people consider this the best Mario Kart ever, and for good reason. The only complaint I have is that online play became crap due to the screw-up Nintendo made called snaking, if you weren't snaking too you had zero chance of winning.
Nintendogs (any version) - I think it's safe to say that this is the game that finally helped the DS pull ahead of the PSP and stay there, this game was the system seller for awhile because people love having a pretty realistic looking dog to take care of and play with.
Super Mario 64 DS - Yes the base game is no stranger, but the DS one had a lot of changes (like three new playable characters, the different powers, levels having different star objectives, etc.). The main issue many people have is that the game does not control as well as the original due to the lack of a analog stick.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 31, 2010, 07:19:20 PM »
Stop reading into the name of the feature. They have said multiple times that any Nintendo system is good for nominations. In fact, one of the first polls for the feature had Link's Crossbow Training as an option. There is no restriction like that.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 31, 2010, 08:23:48 PM »
Considering I play NSMB virtually every day (at least three times a week, unless a certain co-worker is on vacation). I'd have trouble putting this game in RetroActive.
I know, I imagine a lot of people have played it recently. Since I don't own a DS, I have to stick with the three games I've played, and New Super Mario Brothers likely has a better shot than Super Mario 64 DS and Mario Hoops 3-On-3.

As far as what games are eligible for RetroActive? Wiktionary describes "retroactive" as "Extending in scope, effect, application or influence to a prior time or to prior conditions." Technically, any game released qualifies for that. But I think the RFN crew are looking for games that they feel will breed interesting discussions, both from users of the forum and on the podcast. And so age and popularity don't really matter when it comes to this feature.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 01, 2010, 06:47:30 PM »
Assuming they do intend to go through with DS, I will stick with the spirit of RetroActive and nominate only early DS games:

Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Kirby Canvas Curse, Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs, Super Mario 64 DS

How about we nominate some games that everyone hasn't already played?  Most of us have played most--if not all--of these games.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #343 on: August 01, 2010, 07:23:31 PM »
I didn't want to nominate crap, or games that are still pretty new. We have also played for RetroActive other games most of us have played before (like Super Mario World). Besides, these are all better than a game that requires people to illegally mod their game to play in English.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 04, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
I'd like to nominate Diddy Kong Racing DS for the potential DS game poll. It always felt like it slipped under the radar for me and a lot of other people. I don't even know of anybody that bought it. We could discuss the changes that were made for it to allow it on the DS. Plus we could all play the multiplayer together during the event. Make it a sort of NWR Wifi Night since those appear to have died off...
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: August 05, 2010, 12:46:02 AM »
I never played the DS version, but I did rather like the N64 version of DK racing.  It had a lot of variety, and I liked the hidden paths in the track design.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 07, 2010, 05:02:14 PM »
I don't think it's worth reading too much into the feature's title. Any game that we play a while after the release, we are technically playing retroactively.

I do think it's more interesting if we haven't played the winning game. For one, it is a new experience, though it also paves way for a fresh discussion on the podcast.

As long as it's not another RPG, I'm not terribly concerned what wins the poll next time. Mother 3 is the fourth role-playing game on RetroActive, so I'd rather there were no more, at least for a little while.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 07, 2010, 05:36:41 PM »
As long as it's not another RPG, I'm not terribly concerned what wins the poll next time. Mother 3 is the fourth role-playing game on RetroActive, so I'd rather there were no more, at least for a little while.

I agree with this, which is unfortunately a huge strike against TWEWY.  :(
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 07, 2010, 08:54:37 PM »
How about Trace Memory?
It's a game anyone can pick up and play, is pretty easy to find (and can be had for about $5) and is awesome.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 07, 2010, 09:07:25 PM »
I don't understand what is the problem with a similar type of game winning each time. The nominations are decided by everyone, and are voted on by everyone. Clearly people want to talk about RPGs; it just so happens to be a type of game that has a lot to discuss. If you look on GameFAQs at the top ten message boards for any given system (most notably systems like the SNES and PlayStation), you'll notice a lot of them are RPGs, sometimes even all of them. I don't see why we should be concerned with something people want to discuss.