Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations  (Read 198231 times)

Offline Snipper64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Snipper64
Re: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2009, 01:18:14 PM »
For the Genesis poll I'd like to nominate "Moonwalker". (Well I THINK it is for genesis).

It's not because (well not just because) MJ died, but from what I heard it is a pretty... original game. From the reviews I read and seen on youtube (Mostaly the angry video game nerd) it seems to be a pretty cool game, just with some gameplay problems.

I just wanted to throw it out there, may not even be a genesis game, but I think it is.
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
For the Genesis poll I'd like to nominate "Moonwalker". (Well I THINK it is for genesis).
A simple GameFAQs search will tell you what you want to know:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/index.html?game=moonwalker&platform=0&s=s

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2009, 06:51:34 PM »
I'd be willing to try it. But the problem is when MJ passed away the price of those games on eBay skyrocketed. Gonna be pretty hard to find for a good while and that will be a sever entry barrier.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Snipper64

• View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2009, 09:28:38 PM »
good point, completely forgot about that it's not easy to get -_-
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 08, 2009, 03:04:16 PM »
People on eBay are TRYING to sell Moonwalker for more than it's worth with high-priced Buy-It-Now auctions but most people aren't falling for that. Most of the regular auctions are still ending at reasonable prices, and this is a rare, obscure game to begin with so it was never worthless. It's sad when people use something like this to try and sell something for more than it's worth but the prices will return to normal once the next big craze comes along.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »
It always happens when someone famous dies.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2009, 10:01:28 PM »
I know, and it's ridiculous and despicable.

Offline boylovesfire

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 09, 2009, 11:10:57 PM »
I would really like to here what you guys think about Shadow Run for genesis.  I just picked it up and i am really into it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 09, 2009, 11:12:40 PM »
I know, and it's ridiculous and despicable.

So was Michael Jackson, so I don't mind it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 10, 2009, 10:13:32 AM »
For the Genesis I'd nominate Vectorman. It's on the VC, on the old Genesis Collection for PS2 and Xbox, and on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3 and 360, so it's really easy to get a hold of.

I actually never played this game back in the day, though I thought it looked cool. I got the chance when the Genesis collection released on the PS2, and while at first I thought it was underwhelming, the more I played, the more I liked it.

It's very score-oriented and the stages have a time limit, which might put some people off, but the action is fast, and there's some depth to it. The thing you have to understand if you want to have a hope to complete the game is that the multiplier doesn't just multiply your score, it also multiplies the lives you pick up. So there's some strategy to it: someone who's memorized where the multipliers and the lives are can rack up tons of lives, which will make the game a lot less frustrating.

The platforming levels are varied, and non-platforming stages offer even more varied gameplay.

I loved it and only played it 2 years ago, so I think it's a title that holds up.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 10, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »
For Genesis, I'd like to nominate Landstalker. It's easily available thanks to the VC. It's a mish-mash of genres, featuring isometric platforming, hack and slash action, and some Zelda-esque puzzles+exploration. It's also fairly challenging, from what I remember. It's an odd game that a lot of people probably overlooked, and I don't think it's for everyone, but I found it an enjoyable adventure, and I think more people will like it than not.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 10, 2009, 05:07:48 PM »
In commemoration of Super Starwars coming to the VC I nominate it for RetroActive. I enjoyed that game. The sequels are confirmed to be on their way as well so if someone would rather see them in a poll I'm fine backing one of the others.

I think that talking about Star Wars could open dialogue regarding how those games used to rock bot now Star Wars games tend to be hit-or miss. I'd like to touch on that and the reasons why the old ones are generally considered better than new games. Was there something special about how these ones were made or something?
My Game Collection

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 10, 2009, 05:38:41 PM »
I actually don't like the Super Star Wars games at all.  They control terribly and just aren't fun at all. 

Offline anand

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 10, 2009, 08:17:06 PM »
I would like to nominate Detana!! Twinbee, the Japan-only sequel to my favorite (co-op) shmup of all time, Twinbee (Stinger or RainbowBell in America), which was recently released on the Virtual Console. It'll be whimsically delicious. The first boss in Stinger was an anthropomorphic slice of watermelon that spat seeds at you.

Plus, you can fuse your ships in co-op!

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #214 on: August 11, 2009, 03:31:35 AM »
Uh....I recommend stuff in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, because I just bought that and am not interested in buying ANOTHER Genesis game right now. Maybe Shining Force II? I haven't tried it yet.

EDIT: Vectorman games suck....Well, the first one kept my attention for a little while in Sonic Mega Collection, but I was thoroughly bored by the second one.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:33:57 AM by TheYoungerPlumber »
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 11, 2009, 08:39:52 AM »
Bah, you must have been playing it wrong.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 11, 2009, 11:22:57 AM »
If by "playing it wrong" you mean "playing it in the first place," then yes, I imagine he did.  :P

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 11, 2009, 12:54:16 PM »
Hey, what's with all the Vectorman hate? Were Genesis owners confused when faced with a platformer that used more than one button or something?

It has balls to the wall action (ugh, unintentional pun) and a very versatile character that could shoot in 8 directions, transform, double jump (his foot thrusters could be used as an attack if timed correctly, how cool is that?), and more.

It's a heck of a lot better than similar titles like Earthworm Jim, I can tell you that.

Or a game like Super Star Wars, for that matter...

Anyway, if there's truly no interest for Vectorman, I second the Pulseman nomination.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:14:56 PM by Pandareus »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 11, 2009, 04:33:01 PM »
I enjoyed Vectorman. It was one of the 'cool games that Genesis did that Nintendidn't' to me back in the day when I had an SNES and wanted a Genesis too. I got it on VC a while ago and find it quite enjoyable. Wouldn't mind the sequel coming Stateside as well.

I second any Vectorman nomination.

Also, I don't know if I've already said this, but welcome to the forums, Pandareus. Feel free to introduce yourself in our introductions thread so we can tease you get to know you better. ;)
My Game Collection

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #219 on: August 12, 2009, 02:34:46 AM »
I played Moonwalker, many years ago. I remember it as a decent, not great game, memorable for the music and MJ's magical dancing special moves.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline anand

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 12, 2009, 11:35:55 AM »
Oh, Genesis. I'm down with Pulseman, Vectorman, or Shinobi III.

Or Beyond Oasis, so everyone can finally realize how terrible it is.

Offline boylovesfire

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 13, 2009, 10:43:36 AM »
i know i posted this all ready but i would like to nominate Shadow Run its a cyber punk RPG reminds me of Fallout a bit. if nothing else people should check it out.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 10:46:10 AM by boylovesfire »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 15, 2009, 06:16:30 PM »
Isn't Shadow Run a PC game? Or was there an older one on consoles back in the day?

I know it's supposed to be a futuristic D&D. I played the real pen & paper game once upon a time. The DM was a great story teller. One of the few I actually enjoyed playing with. Most just let themselves and their game get bogged down with rules and stuff.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 15, 2009, 08:59:45 PM »
Isn't Shadow Run a PC game? Or was there an older one on consoles back in the day?

I know it's supposed to be a futuristic D&D. I played the real pen & paper game once upon a time. The DM was a great story teller. One of the few I actually enjoyed playing with. Most just let themselves and their game get bogged down with rules and stuff.

It was a Genesis and SNES game, and apparently the two versions are dramatically different.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #224 on: August 15, 2009, 09:07:03 PM »
I remember when the Xbox 360 version of Shadowrun was announced, both critics and a lot of gamers were upset that it was not the same type of game as the original was a action-RPG while the 2007 one was a FPS.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20