Author Topic: De Blob  (Read 25827 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Re: De Blob
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2008, 04:01:31 PM »
The long levels is really my only complaint. I've been forced to "settle" for silver medals just because I want to finish the stage ASAP and need to do something else. Thankfully, the levels are fun to replay so I don't really mind.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2008, 06:27:02 PM »
So De Blob was not there.I got a rain check. I got Samba De Amigo. I saw Clubhouse games and Hotel Dusk there for 19.99 each at Target.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2008, 07:26:23 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzVOawrDv9Q
^ a video of the great music in the game.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2008, 05:29:20 PM »
de Blob * 480p
CG intro
Stage 1: Last Resort intro FMV
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2008, 05:36:52 AM »
Lol, "last resort"

They translated it to "last vacation's resort" here...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2008, 07:32:10 AM »
I bought this nearly three weeks ago, I really should play it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2008, 10:48:04 AM »
I'm in the same boat insanolord. I'll start it this week. School is busy as hell.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline mamacitalew

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
    • Movies!
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2008, 03:55:33 PM »
I love this game.  I got it last week I think, and once I start playing it I cannot stop.  I've heard complaints and read one here about the jump, I like how the incorporate the functions of the remote in to the game; that's what the function of it is anyway, isn't it?  [I just love seeing Wii games that actually utilize the abilities of the system.]
One of the best things as far as structure goes is how you can go through it pretty fast -- the medals awarded for beating a time are usually around 20 minutes, but that seems to do the game a terrible injustice.
Other than that, my favorite part is just the fact that it's so uncontrollably beautiful.

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2008, 11:52:16 AM »
I rented this a few weeks ago, got about halfway through the game.  I thought it was good, but a few things kept me from finishing it.

First thing was level length.  Some of the levels in the game are pretty large, and there is no way to save inside of a level.  It's either all or nothing.  Maybe it was a technical limitation, or maybe it was inexperience on the part of the design team, but there's really no excuse for that.  This is not a 'pick up and play' game.  You need to budget 45 minutes to 1 hour for each level of the game.

The controls were the second thing.  Well, just the jumping controls.  Since this game is on the Wii, you have basic controls being implemented arbitrarily through various motions.  Fantastic.  I just love having to shake something when I could much more easily press a button to accomplish the same thing.  Contrary to the above poster, I feel that this game doesn't utilize the Wii's abilities at all—it's just another example of a developer using waggle for its own sake.

Third was the camera, but this is a 3D platformer, so I was willing to forgive most of the camera problems.

I really wanted to like this game.  The presentation was fantastic.  The movies before each level were extremely well done and were actually funny.  The concept for the game was great too, though the levels became a bit repetitive.  There were just some gameplay design choices that kept me from loving it and ultimately finishing it.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »
You had a problem with the camera?  I've rarely had to adjust the camera.

I think the game is probably the most well done 3rd party game on the wii yet.  I fall in love with game easily that have great art direction. 

Now I await mushroom men.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 04:28:41 PM by Spinnzilla »
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2008, 03:54:14 PM »
It took me a while to figure out that you have to point at the panels to continue through the comics before the levels so I only saw one or two panels of most and thought they just ended there.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2008, 02:41:18 AM »
I'm also a fan of the jumping. Sure you could press a button but it's simply more fun this way. Shaking to capture buildings is heaps fun too.

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2008, 11:36:01 PM »
I decided to rent this game tonight. It was a tough choice between Wario, Boom Blox, Samba de, and this game. I went with this one because I'll probably pick up Wario and Boom Blox for Christmas, but wasn't sure about this one. I'll start playing once I get offline.

On a side note, I don't think I'll be renting games for a long time. I didn't realize it costs almost $10 to rent a game from Blockbuster. It's a bummer, since I really want to try Wii Music without having to buy it.

*Edited in a few hours later...*

This game has exceeded most of my expectations. It's just so much fun to play. There are a few frustrations here and there, such as camera and the jumping being a bit frustrating. But while playing it, I keep flashing back to Jet Set Radio, and that's a good thing. The gameplay, music, and total package is solid. Overall, it's worth a purchase, and I think Nick's review of the game is spot on.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:54:32 AM by TheNorthSea »
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2008, 10:53:46 AM »
I didn't have too much trouble with the camera system it's pretty solid. I just wish the jumping mechanics were a bit more refined.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2008, 10:59:43 AM »
Well I went down to target today and looked for TOS:DotNW. I know it comes out on the 11th but I heard it was releasing early so I thought what was the harm. I saw De Blob down there.I will probably grab it in December.I have to check pricing on Mushroom Men.

Also I am glad you checked this game out The North Sea.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »
Mushroom Men is 50 on Wii and 30 on DS maxi. I'm done with preordering/ordering games for the rest of the year until Jan or Feb. I'm waiting for Mushroom men, Deadly Creatures, Dead Space and Mirror's Edge to get a little cheaper to grab them.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2008, 03:25:44 PM »
FoC, please look into these as well:

Monster Lab
Skate it and Shaun White

I played monster lab at PAX and it was pretty awesome too.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2008, 03:31:50 PM »
I suppose I can't complain too much about the camera. Sometimes it's just a little hard to see where some places need to get colored in. I know there's the hidden stuff in the nooks and crannies, but it takes a moment to see if there's stuff to color in on the tops of buildings.

Some jumps are a pain. My hand was beginning to hurt from violently shaking the wiimote when Blob wouldn't jump like I wanted him to. Similar to when you jam on the jump button when your character isn't jumping right.

That said, I played for a few hours last night, and I'm loving it. Thanks again, Maxi for suggesting this to me. It's really giving me a feeling of playing Jet Set Radio (or any other awesome quirky game), and it's great. If third parties keep making games of this quality on the wii, it's going to be a great ride.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2008, 09:11:28 PM »
OK thank you Flames. I will grab TOS:DotNW on the 11th. De Blob and Mushroom Men at the start of December.

DAaaman64 I will probably look for Monster Lab and Skate It in the New Year.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2008, 09:47:34 PM »
FoC, please look into these as well:

Monster Lab
Skate it and Shaun White

I played monster lab at PAX and it was pretty awesome too.

From what I saw I'm not really interested in Monster Lab, Skate It and Shaun White may be up my alley when I clear some backlog.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2008, 03:11:54 AM »
I finally beat the game. One word sums up the last part of the game ; ANNOYING. I'm never replaying the last few stages ever again. Everything seems to go downhill from about midpoint, the environments are duller, music not as good, and not many new ideas to keep it flowing. All devs need to play Soul Bubbles and just copy it.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2008, 01:13:41 PM »
de Blob
TGS 2008 trailer w/ awesome dude
15sec JPN TV ad w/ awesome dude
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2009, 01:59:22 AM »
Cassamassina reports that De Blob sould 250k in the US. Not too bad.

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2009, 02:03:08 AM »
Yeah, I read somewhere that THQ was happy with how it sold, and to expect more de Blob. I hope they listen to the complaints about the first one, and fix them. Other than that, I can't wait for the next one.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/947/947929p1.html

Just checked and it was IGN that said it.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 02:11:11 AM by TheNorthSea »
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2009, 02:10:57 AM »
Great to hear Shyguy.I still haven't gotten around to this.
Alexis, she/her/Miss