Author Topic: Hello, My Name is Nick … and I'm an Addict  (Read 18214 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Hello, My Name is Nick … and I'm an Addict
« on: June 18, 2008, 06:42:23 AM »
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blogArt.cfm?artid=16176

An addict to collecting videogames, that is. It wasn't always this way; once upon a time I would only get one game at a time and enjoy it until it was entirely completed before I even thought of going after another. Around 4 years ago I must have caught some sort of bug.    

I think it was the Virtual Boy; I had always wanted one as a kid, but never did get one because they were just too expensive at the time. On a whim, after the system had randomly popped into my head, I decided to check around and see how much one went for. While perusing the listings on eBay I realized just how cheap it now was and bought one purely for the novel value.    

The trend continued from there. Shortly thereafter I was back on eBay looking to see what some of the other gaming stuff out there costs, essentially all the stuff I had missed as a kid. I found a Dreamcast lot and paid around $30 for the system, a full set of controllers, a couple VMUs, and five or so decent games. Needless to say, this wasn't the last transaction I made on eBay. The purchases began flowing as I realized I could experience everything I had once missed by avoiding a few new game purchases.     It didn't take long to realize that I was amassing quite the stockpile of videogames. At some point, unconsciously I must have decided that I needed to continue getting everything and anything I could find. I started hitting up local stores for any classic titles that were cheap.    

As that list of classics began to dwindle, I started picking up anything that I could find that was reasonably cheap in comparison to eBay listings. All of my auction watching helped me build an internal database of the average cost of games. Typically if I could find a game at a brick and mortar store that was under the average eBay price I would buy it.    

Eventually I discovered one of my favorite places in the world, Cheap Ass Gamer. These days, Cheap Ass Gamer helps alert me of every sale existent, the best of which are clearance game deals. Clearance deals often provide me with games for current generation systems for under $10. Just yesterday I picked up Virtua Tennis 3 on the Playstation 3 and Bullet Witch for the Xbox 360 for less than $5 each.    

The funny thing is, I don't and can't conceivably play all of the games I now buy. On a daily basis there is just too much to do, and there are definitely too many games to play (at the time of this posting I have 711 games spanning 24 systems). I don't let this stop me though; I hope one day I can really enjoy everything that I've collected, but even if I don't, I like knowing that at any time I can play just about anything good that any given system has offered up.    

Are there any readers out there as obsessed as I am with collecting games, accessories, systems and swag? What got you into game collecting and do you like to collect anything in particular? What are your thoughts on digital distribution and the future of collecting games? Let us know in the talkback thread.

Check out PixlBit!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, My Name is Nick … and I'm an Addict
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 01:51:01 PM »
I'm also an addict.  But I prefer the more traditional crack-cocaine.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 01:58:32 PM »
I'm coming down from my addiction.
My big step was not buying the Virtual Boy that at Digital Press a year or so ago.

Speaking of which, for anyone wanting classic games, that store is freaking amazing. Although it's kind of only in Clifton, NJ so that's a killjoy.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 02:03:04 PM »
My addiction is getting worse... ****
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 02:03:47 PM »
Speaking of which, for anyone wanting classic games, that store is freaking amazing. Although it's kind of only in Clifton, NJ so that's a killjoy.

Sounds like I might need to take a road trip...
Check out PixlBit!

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 02:17:15 PM »
"I don't let this stop me though; I hope one day I can really enjoy everything that I've collected,"

All the more reason to have kids, they will help you!
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 02:21:09 PM »
"I don't let this stop me though; I hope one day I can really enjoy everything that I've collected,"

All the more reason to have kids, they will help you!

Exactly how I see it. Without question one day they will get immense joy from the collection. I used a Target coupon the other day to get Viva Pinata Party Animals (360) for free, I figured I'll never play it, but one day when I have kids they probably will.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 02:23:39 PM »
I used a Target coupon the other day to get Viva Pinata Party Animals (360) for free, I figured I'll never play it, but one day when I have kids they probably will.

Not likely.  Your 360 will be long dead by then and (assuming Microsoft is still in the console business) the new Xbox's backwards compatibility won't be compatible with the game.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 02:28:13 PM »
I thought your name was Jack.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 02:38:22 PM »

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 03:31:53 PM »

Let me know if/when you do.

They have this really cool NAVA (North American Video Game Afficianados) club/group where they have parties on the last Saturday of every month. I accidentally walked into one of them and it's really cool. Apparently the Angry Video Game Nerd is gonna be there at the one in June.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 03:36:58 PM »

Let me know if/when you do.

They have this really cool NAVA (North American Video Game Afficianados) club/group where they have parties on the last Saturday of every month. I accidentally walked into one of them and it's really cool. Apparently the Angry Video Game Nerd is gonna be there at the one in June.

Wow, awesome! I think I might have to do that then, just gotta talk to the wife. My brother would probably want to come too if Mr. Rolfe is going to be there.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
Does this thread pretty much solidify the addict bit?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 04:05:16 PM »
Do you own Escape from Bug Island? If not you are not an addict.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 04:06:20 PM »
He's an addict, not a masochist.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 04:52:29 PM »
Where's UncleBob....
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 02:13:21 AM »
System of a Down? SOAD? Really?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 03:54:01 AM »
I'm addicted to buying games, I buy way too many, more than I have the time to play, but I wouldn't consider myself a collector. I buy games to play them and would never buy a game that I didn't intend to play no matter how valuable or rare it was.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 01:06:12 PM »
Where's UncleBob....

QFT, shouldn't he have had something to say in here by now? I'm pretty sure his collection of games/gaming stuff absolutely dwarfs everyone's collection.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 01:07:43 PM »
It's a bluff, his pics are all photoshopped. His collection accounts to 5 DS games and Wii Sports/Play you've all been fooled.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 02:56:30 AM »
Three factors have sent my game purchasing through the roof:

1) No kids + "Real Job" = disposable income
2) Amazon Prime
3) Cheapassgamer.com

I figure I buy about a game a week nowadays.  My total collection is up to about 275 right now...my backlog is immense.  I just can't resist.  Pretty much anything that gets review scores of 8/8.5 and above is on my radar for any system (I currently have 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, and DS..I'm not too much into legacy stuff, thank God).  For example, the games on my radar right now are Ace Combat 6 (360) and skate (360).  skate is looking tempting at $39.99, but I'll hold off since I have so many other games to play.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 07:45:42 AM »
Lindy is into serious games only.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 08:55:11 AM »
Yeah, not being into legacy games helps save some money without a doubt. Though, they tend to be pretty cheap in lots on eBay. I've scored some great classics through eBay lots where people didn't fully understand what they were selling.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 10:51:54 PM »
Lindy is into seriously good games only.

Corrected.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 03:45:13 AM »
It has been 3 days since I posted this article and over the course of those 3 days I managed to pick up 9 new games, 2 new wavebirds, 2 Gamecube broadband adaptors, and a PS3 Memory Card Adaptor.

Seriously, I need help.
Check out PixlBit!