Poll

Your favorite: Terran, Zerg, or Protoss?

Terran
13 (41.9%)
Zerg
5 (16.1%)
Protoss
13 (41.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: The Starcraft mega thread - Rising from the ashes.  (Read 163580 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: The Starcraft mega thread
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 05:34:06 AM »
Units can be selected in to much larger numbers as opposed to the original limit of 12.  Currently there is no limit to a group size, but that may change in the final product.
That limit was what I was mostly talking about, it's just stupid.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 09:13:27 AM »
Cannot wait for SC2 loved the first game and I am sure I will love this one as well. I am very excited about the zerg more than ever. I remember starting as a protoss player mostly because they are the easiest to use but after awhile you realize the zerg are just plain awesome.
I found Protoss hard because of there initial ramp up time is long when you are not tuned in to the Protoss vibe.  Terrans were more pick up and play friendly to me.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 10:55:46 AM »

The Protoss Immortal

The Immortal is the descendant of the Dragoon only with one major difference: a special “Hard Shield”.  The shield activates whenever the Immortal comes under attack by heavy blasts or melee attacks.  This shield allows the Immortal to march in on a group of Sieged Tanks without fear, a feat previously unheard of by any Protoss unit.  The downfall is that the shield will not activate against small unit fire, therefore it’s crucial to keep your Immortals away from Marines and Zerglings. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYEsnbTcjeM

Witness the hardened shield in action.  The tanks stand no chance.

”It’s over Anakin, I have the high ground…oh and this super shield.”

www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 11:05:01 AM »
Units can be selected in to much larger numbers as opposed to the original limit of 12.  Currently there is no limit to a group size, but that may change in the final product.
That limit was what I was mostly talking about, it's just stupid.

True, but remember that the game was made over a decade ago and times have changed.  I imagine that unit groups will probably be somewhere around 36 in size.  You really don't need much more than that, unless you are massing a ton of zerglings.

I found Protoss hard because of there initial ramp up time is long when you are not tuned in to the Protoss vibe.  Terrans were more pick up and play friendly to me.

I couldn't agree more.  I started with the Terran, moved to the Zerg and ended up with the Protoss.  I can play them all reasonably well, but I'm at my best with the Terran.  To me, playing the Terran is harder due to the extra micro management of M&M against the Zerg or Tanks & Vultures against the Protoss.  Scouting is also far more crucial.  Finding out that the Zerg went fast air as opposed to Lurkers can end your game real quick if you aren't prepared.  Thank goodness for Comscan stations.

Oh and yes, there will be candy in Starcraft 2.  I can't prove it, I just have a feeling.  Although, I think that Hershey should promote M&M's as the official candy of Starcraft 2.  For those not in the know: M&M=Marines and Medics in Starcraft.  Hmm...Zergling shaped gummy bears would be cool too.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 12:39:34 PM »
I like your Dojo-like presentation. And I like Starcraft. This thread wins!
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2008, 05:05:33 PM »
I like your Dojo-like presentation. And I like Starcraft. This thread wins!

Thanks!  It's actually kind of tough finding all the pictures and making comments for each.  Well, it's not tough per say, just time consuming.  I'll keep updating it as long as people keep reading it.  I'll probably do an entire week of updates over the weekend so that I'm not creating the update just before I post it.  Whew!

Of course, unlike the Dojo, you could get all the info on Starcraft 2 you want by simply Googling.  I think this is more fun though.  I'm also hoping that this thread can inspire people to play some Starcraft: Brood Wars with me sometime.  A special NWR room and game.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 05:28:17 PM »
I approve of this thread. It is my only source for Starcraft information. (that means that your monopoly on my brain had better not be abused, bosshog!)
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2008, 04:57:12 AM »
True, but remember that the game was made over a decade ago and times have changed.  I imagine that unit groups will probably be somewhere around 36 in size.  You really don't need much more than that, unless you are massing a ton of zerglings.
Why have a limit at all? C&C never had a limit, age is no excuse.

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2008, 08:49:22 AM »
Why have a limit at all? C&C never had a limit, age is no excuse.
I guess you have a point, but outside of the Zerg, a large selection box for units wouldn't be used that often.  I rarely have groups larger than 36 units at a time and I'm usually separating units by type (Marines in one, Medics in another).  All that being said though, there is no reason not to have unlimited unit selection and unless they pull a Nintendo on us, I see an unlimited selection being in the game.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2008, 08:54:04 AM »

Marine Upgrades

One of the best aspects of the original Starcraft was the ability to upgrade your starting units to make them useful through out the entire game, not just the beginning.  Starcraft 2 keeps this mentality alive.  Behold some of the Marine upgrades!

Stim Packs: This useful little needles cause Marines to double their movement and rate of fire for about 10 seconds.  The draw back? They lose 10 hit points each time they use it.  Better keep those Medics nearby.

U-238 Shells: This upgrade allows the Marines to shoot a bit further than normal.  It’s a one-time upgrade and lasts until the game is over.  It can make a big difference in a Marines first strike and hit-and-run tactics.

Combat Shields: This new upgrade gives the Marines a permanent boost in hit points from 40 to 55.  Some recent pictures have shown Marines with and without shields in the same army, leaving people to believe the shield may be lost in some way.  Just remember, everyone loves more hit points, especially chemical abusing drunken rednecks.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2008, 09:07:21 AM »
My update isn't here... :'(  Sakurraaaiiiii  Bosshogxxxxx...

jk

Edit:  Yay it came when I posted.

On the Unit selection.  I be more annoyed if the don't allow me to have 1 unit in Multiple groups.  Think about a main force and strategic strike forces within.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 09:10:07 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2008, 10:34:25 AM »
My update isn't here... :'(  Sakurraaaiiiii  Bosshogxxxxx...

jk

Edit:  Yay it came when I posted.

On the Unit selection.  I be more annoyed if the don't allow me to have 1 unit in Multiple groups.  Think about a main force and strategic strike forces within.

I try and post up my updates early in the morning, but being as though I'm at work sometimes it takes a while.  I really shouldn't be doing it at all...hope I don't get caught.  :(

Unit selection: You mean like putting a group of 3 Ghosts in a group of 12 marines and then putting the same 3 Ghosts in a group of 8 Tanks? You can do that in Starcraft 1, so you should be able to do that in the sequel. 
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2008, 03:12:30 PM »
Yeah, I'm hoping they don't ax that.  C&C has a problem with that if memory serves.

I'm sure you won't get in trouble.  Its not like your leaking any new info and Smash Dojo has full blown parody sites.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 03:14:02 PM by Ceric »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2008, 09:01:46 AM »
BTW, is it just me or does that Protoss Immortal look kinda Necron?

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2008, 04:53:05 PM »

I assume you mean the Necron Lord?

I see the resemblance, although I thought they looked a bit like Zant from Twighlight Princess myself.

Although they both lack the absurdly large arm cannons, spider legs, and hardened shield.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2008, 05:15:24 PM »

Blizzard copying WarHammer franchise without a license, AGAIN. confirmed.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2008, 11:38:32 PM »
Blizzard copying WarHammer franchise without a license, AGAIN. confirmed.

Does this mean that Nintendo ripped of WarHammer too?  Of course everything is a rip-off of Tolkien, but that's neither here nor there.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2008, 04:41:10 AM »
It does kind of have the Necron ceremonial headdress thing going on, but it's not as outwardly sinister as a Necron construct.  To me, it looks more "inspired by" than "ripping off."  But again, that's just me.

Speaking of which, have you ever tried Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War, bosshogx?  It's somewhat similar to StarCraft, with a heavy emphasis on controlling squads instead of individuals.  The units generally have a lot of character, and just listening to their chatter is quite enjoyable.  In particular, I love the voice acting of the Chaos Cultists and pretty much every Ork unit (especially the Mad Docs).  If you haven't tried it, it might be a nice diversion for you until StarCraft is released. :)
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2008, 08:08:29 AM »

The Terran Barracks

The Terran Barracks is the starting point for all Terran Infantry.  The Barracks, like most Terran buildings, can lift off and fly to different points on the map.  Useful for expanding, avoiding ground melee attackers, and scouting.  Starcraft veterans often use their Barracks to fly ahead of an attacking group and extend the range of vision for their Siege Tanks.  Here are some of the units the Barracks can produce:

Give me something to shoot!

Where does it hurt?

You called down the thunder, now you reap the whirlwind.

This is just the beginning though.  More units may get added or removed as the game testing continues.  Stay tuned!
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2008, 09:25:22 AM »
I don't think adding or removing units will happen at this stage of the balancing process.

BTW, if you want to try DoW, don't get Soulstorm first, that's buggy out the wazoo, was made by a different developer. Also you need the expansion/game a faction was introduced in to play it, for the original four (SM, Eldar, Chaos, Orkz) that's vanilla DoW, IG needs Winter Assault, Tau and Necron are Dark Crusade and Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle are Soulstorm. Yes, sounds like a huge ripoff but then again that's 1-2 extra factions per expansion and the original 4 were already plenty, they're sized the same as the factions in other RTSes, they're not just cookie-cutter addons.

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2008, 10:03:39 AM »
I don't think adding or removing units will happen at this stage of the balancing process.

BTW, if you want to try DoW, don't get Soulstorm first, that's buggy out the wazoo, was made by a different developer. Also you need the expansion/game a faction was introduced in to play it, for the original four (SM, Eldar, Chaos, Orkz) that's vanilla DoW, IG needs Winter Assault, Tau and Necron are Dark Crusade and Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle are Soulstorm. Yes, sounds like a huge ripoff but then again that's 1-2 extra factions per expansion and the original 4 were already plenty, they're sized the same as the factions in other RTSes, they're not just cookie-cutter addons.

Actually, they have been adding, removing and changing units pretty frequently over the last few months.  SC2 is still in it's alpha stage and may not be ready for beta testing for quite a while.  A perfect example is the Firebat.  The Firebat has been in and out of the build at least twice.  They've been out for a while now and don't seem to be returning.  Recently they cut the Medic out in favor of a Medivac dropship.  After they make cuts and changes they try and rebalance.  All said and done though, I need the Medic back in the game or something that can do what she does well.  *sigh*

As for WarHammer, it's funny you guys should bring that up.  I was visiting a friend on Saturday and he showed me WarHammer 40k on the PC.  I watched him play a game vs the comp as the Chaos Marines.  It was definitely different from SC, but not in a bad way.  It seemed more like Warcraft 3 with the focus on the micro, although I am basing this off of one game.  It was a little jarring seeing buildings fall out of the sky as opposed to being made by a peon unit and it was even stranger watching units magically appear when you reinforced your squad.  I suppose that doesn't matter too much after you've played a while.

I guess my big questions are: Which version should I play?  Do they sell them all in some form of a "plenty pack" which would include all versions?  Are each of the 8 factions truly unique or do they overlap each other?  Finally, having 8 factions sounds like it's a nightmare to balance, did they?

If I can find the game cheap, and it can run on my dated system, I will pick it up.  I'd probably need some people to play with and it appears that their are some fans here on the NWR forums.  Hint, hint.  Of course, if I get spanked to hard, I will demand we play SC in retaliation.   ;)
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2008, 10:22:59 AM »

So you saying Get this and Soulstorm?

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2008, 01:47:31 PM »
Dark Crusade is a necessity.  Even if you don't like Tau or Necrons (and why wouldn't you?), the single-player campaign is a blast.  Upgrading your commander is so addicting, I actually went through and beat the game with all the races (twice with the Orks and Necrons).  I'm boycotting Soulstorm, simply because it doesn't have Tyranids in it. 
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2008, 01:55:08 PM »
Soulstorm is full of gamebreaking bugs, I'm avoiding it for now. Relic is pretty slow to release patches. No idea what the current balancing is, Relic's balancing team is notorious for making weird changes all the time. Then again Soulstorm was made by Iron Lore, those might be responsible for the support instead.

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2008, 08:03:27 AM »

The Terran Add-ons

The Terran have been known to be flexible.  This was shown in their ability to “add on” to their existing buildings.  In the original Starcraft, you could add a machine shop to a factory, or a control tower to a Starport.  Starcraft 2 will be keeping up this tradition, but streamlining it.  It now be easier for new players to understand and make add on buildings more useful overall.

The Tech Lab

The Tech Lab will serve as the the upgrade building for any unit producing structure.  Instead of using different buildings, like the old Academy, the Tech Lab will contain all upgrades for the structure it’s attached to.  If you attach it to a Barracks, then you can research Marine and Medic upgrades.  Take that same Tech Lab and land a Factory next to it and it will allow you to research Vechile upgrades instead.

The Tech Lab will also allow you to make units you couldn’t normally make.  For example, without a Tech Lab, the Terrans can only produce Marines from a Barracks.  Add a Tech Lab and now they can make Medics, Marauders, and Ghosts as well.  So the question becomes: Why would you ever not want a Tech Lab.  Well….

The Reactor

The Reactor is a new add on for Starcraft 2.  Attach it to any unit producing building and it will allow a player to create two units at a time.  The drawback?  The Reactor can only create units that don’t require a Tech Lab.  So you can create a variety of different units or mass produce some low end units for a quick army.  Better yet, you can do both by creating multiple buildings with various attachments.  Flexible indeed.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933