Author Topic: RRR2?  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RRR2?
« on: November 15, 2007, 05:01:51 AM »
Anyone else have/tried this yet?

It's even better than the first one, and the party game focus is even stronger this time with more four player games, including its own version of Donkey Konga/Rock Band where all four players play different posts in a band of rabbids.

Some of the minigames I've seen are really clever. You have two in a similar vein which involve a similar concept to "red light, green light". In one, you're in a movie theatre and you talk on your cellphone when the light is out but when the usher rabbid shows up and turns the light on, you have to put it away and then mash the A button to hit all the buttons on your phone. The player who hits theirs the fastest will send a text to the player who hit theirs the slowest and they'll get in trouble with the usher and lose points. Another similar one involves shaking the Wiimote to screw around and work while the rabbid boss is away. Be shaking the Wiimote when he pops out of somewhere and he'll yell at you making it so you won't be able to start screwing around again immediately after he leaves.

It's easily better than Mario Party 8 but it'll likely get overshadowed because it was released in one of the biggest weeks for gaming releases of the year...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: RRR2?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 05:34:23 AM »
...Oh, I thought you were talking about something else.

I read IGN's review and they trashed it, saying that more of the same doesn't make it better.

Did you try the new FMV shooter sequences yet?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 06:02:44 AM »
Yeah, they're fun.

IGN seems pissed at Ubisoft. They pooped on Assassin's Creed as well but everyone else seemed to love it.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 06:07:48 AM »
One question, are the shooter sequences shorter than in the first one or are they about the same lenght? I thought they were slow and boring in the first game (although, I did play the PS2 version).
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 07:44:27 AM »
They're about the same length.

But aiming with the Wiimote makes a colossal difference.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:RRR2?
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 07:56:17 AM »
Please tell me they fixed the obnoxious interface stuff from RRR.

Example: that stupid map thing to select games

Also: are the multiplayer games "real" multiplayer games this time?  That "you play then I play" was crapo.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 08:13:48 AM »
Oh, they're real alright.

I haven't played them all yet, but games like the ones I mentioned are plentiful.

There's a few of them which are "shake the wiimote as fast as you can" and whatnot, but the majority are quite clever, like the one which will have you balancing plates of food while trying to get them to the fat rabbid patrons while trying not to bump into the other players (your fellow waiters) as they do the same. The only "single player" game was the one where you took turns whacking a rabbid in the head with sausages in an attempt to knock him out, the player who delivered the knockout blow being the winner.

And you finish every "trip" (which are region-themed) with a song in which you pick parts and play like a band ("Smoke on the Water" being my favorite so far). This time, the Rabbids are ACTUALLY singing the lyrics for the songs, not just mumbling them like they were in the first one.

Also, for high scores, you can compare your high score to the worldwide wifi leaderboard in matter of seconds. I was 78th in the world on one of the games. Woot!

The game is also downright hilarious, but that goes without saying.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 12:20:53 PM »
I only just picked up the first game last week, and having a blast. I'm really interested in getting this (too many damn games out), but I have a question about the plunger shooting stages, is the aiming really as slow as previous vids suggested? Or can you dart the cursor around like normal.

Don't expect this to get good "reviews" because its the perfect game certain people want to see flop, similar to Manhunt 2.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 12:47:41 PM »
You can dart the cursor around very quickly, reload is a bit slow but that's it.

Also, it will take time for your plunger to reach a target so you'll need to lead with some shots.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 01:00:49 PM »
Fantastic, sounds like the first one with heaps cooler levels.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 06:01:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
And you finish every "trip" (which are region-themed) with a song in which you pick parts and play like a band ("Smoke on the Water" being my favorite so far). This time, the Rabbids are ACTUALLY singing the lyrics for the songs, not just mumbling them like they were in the first one.

The Rabbids do sing in the first game.

Have a listen:
"Girls just wanna have fun"
"La bamba"

I understand what they are saying so its not like they are mumbling.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 06:33:32 AM »
I've gotten so much out of the original it's unbelievable.  Any time I play Wii with friends this game comes up.  I'm definitely interested in part deux, but it's going to have to wait until next year.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 12:01:13 PM »
After reading NWR's review of the game I'm surprised you liked it so much, S_B, especially since they said that the game was waggle-tastic.

I expect the trend to continue, though. As good or bad the game it seems people stopped caring for the Rabbids a long time ago...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 02:00:19 PM »
Well my friend who works at a indy store is getting mario galaxy RRR2 regardless of the reviews since he loves the game so much, and when I let him know that it also has online leaderboards he was excited. I think if this had a online gameplay mode it would be been cool but then again it would ruin the atmosphere with you and your friends goofing off while you play.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 05:32:28 PM »
I got the game for Christmas and can't stop playing it...Actually, I had to stop playing it because I got a blister from it!

Its sad that people crapped all over the game. I think its leagues better than the first one, if not perfect.

Even if it has less mini games than its predecessors RRR2 does feature some clever and very fun mini games. The already mentioned Cel phone game is quite addictive, ESPECIALLY withe 4 people. The teacher and office work ones are also great.

In most mini game collections its always the case that I like a couple of them and could care less for the rest. RRR2 is one of those rare exceptions in which I enjoyed nearly all of the mini games, with only 2 or 3 that are not as fun. They were great enough that they got me playing through them multiple times just so I could break records and unlock some costumes.

Hell, even the shooting and musical segments, which were quite a chore in the first game, are good! Even if the song segments feature basic gameplay its well made and it almost feels like a lighthearted take on "Rock band".

I love how they used FMV in the shooting sequences. Gameplay still lags for a tad too long but they are optional rather than obligatory.

The controls are waggle-tastic, yes, and it does lack some of the creativity of the first one, but I never had this much fun in a waggle fest. Like I said, I waggled so much that I got a blister in my thumb! Plus some mini games are quite clever, like the cel phone game.

I really loved how they finally made Raving Rabbids a true multiplayer experience. Now everyone can hop in and play the games and unlock everything TOGETHER, something that was missing in the first game. Nintendo and Hudson should REALLY pay attention to what other developers are doing with the Mario Party formula. They way Ubisoft set it up is nearly brilliant; it provides quick, fun gameplay without any chores or "strategic" elements.

My only gripe is that Rayman has been severely tacked onto this project. Its clear that the game is all about the rabbids. It doesn't take place in the Rayman universe as its about how the rabbids are adapting to human society. Yet somehow Rayman made it here and joined them. You can same the same thing about the rabbids, true, but this is their solo project, a game set outside the Rayman continuity so why is Rayman there? Besides, he barely appeared in the ads. Worst of all, he doesn't even has his personality! He sounds and animates EXACTLY like a rabbid, meaning that he's just an alternate model with a rabbid's animation sequence tacked onto it. Yes, I know the intro explains that he is in disguise, but he's so into it that it doesn't make sense. In fact, I always dress him up as a rabbid because it then makes sense.

But overall, I think the game is great and is one of the better mini game compilations on the Wii right now. Again, its too bad that the media and the fans decided to make the game their whipping boy.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2007, 05:57:17 PM »
I agree with you Pap while there are some stinkers the majority of mini games in RRR2 are awesome I personally like Burgerittos(sp?) mini games especially when the burgers get huge, during that minigame i purposely nudged my friend to screw him up that was my stealth strategy lol. But I am really happy that Ubi listened to people and made the focus on multiplayer which turned off many people from the first that they had to unlock everything which at times felt like a chore and in this one you can even customize the scoring tiers, how many mini games in your session which are nice little things. While the game is far from perfect I am enjoying this game more than the original.  
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2007, 06:32:18 PM »
Are you saying that I shouldn't return this Xmas gift for MP3:C or MoH:H2? cause thats what it sounds like you are saying.
I got bored with the first one, since all the games just seemed to repeat for the most part with a slightly new twist to it.
And I never did figure out how to do multiplayer on RRR, so it kinda got sidelined a while ago(about 10-11 months ago).

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2007, 06:56:24 PM »
I'm surprised at how much fun this game was! Yesterday and today I played it 4-players with my cousins, they brought it over from NY. It was... INFINITELY better than the first one. I'm flabberghasted. Sort of like how I was shocked that I could play Mario & Sonic for so long as well...

But if you really wanna return this... ZACK & WIKI! GRAH! ... or Metroid is a decent choice as well.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2007, 07:19:47 PM »
I already own Z&W & FE, SMG, RE:UC, WW:SM, RRR & Z:TP.

Now I could trade it in for one of the games mentioned before or I could use it as credit towards WiiFit, that is if I was to trade it in.
Is it worth keeping if I found myself bored with the first one?

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2007, 08:25:29 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
Are you saying that I shouldn't return this Xmas gift for MP3:C or MoH:H2? cause thats what it sounds like you are saying.
I got bored with the first one, since all the games just seemed to repeat for the most part with a slightly new twist to it.
And I never did figure out how to do multiplayer on RRR, so it kinda got sidelined a while ago(about 10-11 months ago).

Don't get MOH:H2, that game has amazing controls for sure.  But the campaign is not that good. If you have ever played hand held fps' like Brothers In Arms, it retains the hand held limitations to some extent.  The campaign is terribly linear and unexciting,  if you look at some of the campaigns for the games on GC they were way better.  You always had that amazingly epic first mission such as invasion of Normandy or the Battle of Pearl Harbor.  That simply isn't in this game.  The multiplayer is quite fun, but it isn't as fun as halo's multi and this still feels rough around the edges.  The AI is balls too.  I would probably compare it to Wolfenstien: Enemy Territory expansion for PC.  Which is a couple of years old.  I'll probably write impressions soon.  

In other words, if I were you I would keep RRR2 unless you decide to get Metroid.  
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2007, 08:37:15 PM »
I'm gonna get Metroid one day one way or another, its just a matter of do I get it for free now or keep RRR2 and buy MP3 later.

But since its better than the first and the multi-player is immediately accessible I guess I'll keep it. It's not like I paid for it or anything.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 02:44:30 AM »
I've been playing it too and it's a LOT of fun! I disagree about the shooting levels, while they look great the framerate sucks balls and really kills it for me. The rabbits themselves look really weird in those stages too and they don't blend in well. I prefer the shooting stages in the first one. Anyway there is a lot of good minigames in this, overall definitely better than the first. One of the biggest things that sticks out is that it's a lot funnier, and I thought the first was hilarious. Presentation is also heaps better but still not perfect. I think word of mouth will definitely  spread about this game and it will end up selling well, hopefully Rabbids 3 is on the way.