Author Topic: Reuters: Sega has very high expectations for Mario an Sonic Olympics game  (Read 22082 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Kairon, reporting from THE FUTURE.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
My problem with the olympics is that there are a lot of events I love to watch they just don't get air time.  Like Bobsleding for Winter or Fencing for Summer.

I'll say this now for record.  I've never played an olympic game that was an all around good package.  There would be a few gems but that be it.

Also some of the buildings China is building for this is going to be really interesting.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile

*doesn't care that much for the ski/snowboarding events*.
Not even the aerial ski event? That's one of my favourite ones..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I think Sega has unrealistic expectations for this title.  Hell I'd question how well this game would have done back when Sonic still mattered.  "Mario and Sonic" is like "YEAH!! ALRIGHT!!" but then "at the Olympic Games" crashes you back to Earth.  It's the ultimate team-up in a setting that isn't really that exciting.  The title even sounds like some Berenstain Bears book.  It sounds like Mario and Sonic meeting up at the Olympics to solve a mystery and teach everyone a valuable lesson about sportsmanship.

It'll probably sell alright but to compare it to Halo 3 is nuts.  I wouldn't even consider this one of the Wii's big upcoming titles.  Pretty much every gamer alive could think of a more exciting idea for a Mario/Sonic team-up.

LOl, Ian you are dead on right this time.

This reminds me of this time in the early 90s when I went to Toys r' us and seen this game that had Mario on it. The game was called "Mario's Time Machine". I was thinking, well, Mario games always kick ass so I convinced my parents to get it for me thinking it was something like Super Mario World, but with the addition of a time machine. What could possibly be better than that?

I brought it home anxious to play it, and what do I find out about it? It is a stupid edutainment game. It wasn't a total waste beccause I did learn some things, and as an edutainment game I suppose it wasn't bad, but considering it had Mario in it I was expecting something far different. That really was my fault because I bought it on the title and cover and didn't do any research.

Anyway, this Mario & Sonic at the Olympics game is reminding me of that.

Does it help matters that Miyamoto is involved in this? Well, I'm sure it helps a great deal, however Miyamoto isn't infallible and has created some games over the years that have been quietly swept under the rug and forgotten because they were just terrible. This could be one of those games. We remember him for his excellent games, but he has his share of crap.

In addition, Miyamoto handling this game's production may be like calling a professional chef over to do your BBQ. Would a professional chef make the hamburgers better? Probably... but there is only so much to improve, and on this his talents would be wasted.

Bottom line: I admire Miyamoto, but I'd rather see him focus on other genres.
is your sanity...

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
The game has the branding power of Mario, Sonic, and the olympics.  Just with the names alone it is going to be huge.  With the possible great gameplay for the olympic events (see Wii Sports) it could be gigantic.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
If they time its release to be during the Olympic hype and if they advertise it well enough then it really could do well.

My gripe is mainly that I want to see them in a different genre of game together.
is your sanity...

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
I wait for the inevitable "AiAi and Crash Bandicoot in the Garden"

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
They p[lan to release it by the end of this year. Isn't that like... 6 months before the Olympic hype... or do they expect for this casual/non-game to take that long to ramp up in sales and hit it big, akin to typical non-game sales trends?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
I'm sure Sega has high expectations for every Sonic game.

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
Let's just hope this is some twisted Mario/Sonic world version of the Olympic games.
Realism could be its downfall but with Miyamoto involved I'm not too worried.
In fact maybe the game will have two modes, a realistic mode using Miis to mimic the actual games then a fantasy mode with tweaked out versions of all the games for said mascots.

I wouldn't worry too much about Sega's expectations.
I mean I'm sure they had high expectations of their recent Virtua Fighter and Sonic game on the PS3 and they sold like three copies each.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
To my exciting understanding, America doesn't tend to give a crap about Olympic video games (or the Olympics in general). This'll probably sell like crazy in Europe because it has Sonic in the title of it, and Epyx' Summer Games was a huge success like eight hundred years ago. Japan will buy fifty billion copies because it's got Mario in the title and.. well.. it's got Mario in the title.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile

This could be one of those games. We remember him for his excellent games, but he has his share of crap.
Please elaborate.. what specific games are you talking about?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile

Originally posted by: IceCold

This could be one of those games. We remember him for his excellent games, but he has his share of crap.
Please elaborate.. what specific games are you talking about?

That racing game for the SNES that used the FX chip for starters... can't remember the names of the others, but suffice it to say if they were great they would be remembered. Don't get me wrong, though. Almost everything he has touched has become a classic. I'm just saying he doesn't *always* have a midas touch.

That said though, I am realizing I have prejudged this game before really learning anything about it other than the title. It might actually be a really great game for its genre, but like I said my gripe is mainly that it isn't an RPG or Action/Adventure type game. I don't think the Wii needs more Wii Sports type games to be honest...
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
FX Stunt Racing or something like that?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
Stuntrace FX. No idea if it's any good but I suppose a fully 3d racing game on the SNES wasn't a common genre.

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
Stunt Race FX was brilliant for its time. It and Starfox were among the first games to use 3D polygon models.
I mean it wasn't a masterpiece or anything but how many RACING GAMES are?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

Unlike consumers.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Mario

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

Unlike consumers.

I'd imagine that at this point, most of the game's demographic don't even know about the game yet. For better or worse.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
There's preorder boxes at Gamestop so chance is they do know.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Whoa that was quick

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
Those have been there longer than the Mario Galaxy preorder boxes, I think they had them since the first announcement of the game.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
RE:Official Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Thread
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2007, 06:23:07 AM »
First Screenshots of the game

Source: The-Magicbox.com

Figured I would change this to the "official" thread. Wasn't aware it was a one thread per game policy so my bad moderators.

Continue discussions of the lackluster screenshots here haha.

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
RE:Official Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Thread
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 12:29:52 AM »
It's kind of a catch 22. If the characters don't have any advantages over each other it will strip them of their uniqueness. If they do it will make for an imbalanced game.
The only solution I see is if there was some sort of story mode that took you through the entire series of games. Some games would require the speed of a character like Sonic while others would require balance like Mario's or strength like Bowsers'. Thus giving each character equal chance at overall victory.
But there's bound to be a way to play the games individually too. Perhaps in that mode they'll have you use your Miis instead. That way you won't be fighting over who gets the fastest/strongest character with the natural advantage. I think featuring the Miis would give the game as much appeal to casuals as featuring Mario and Sonic will to hardcores.

Also if this game has any chance at true greatness it better not be afraid of pushing the bounds of realism. There can be an "official" mode that stays true to the games but there should be another mode that allows for power-ups and hopefully more appropriate backdrops that might look like something in an actual Mario or Sonic game.

...and finally who else thinks Nintendo is going to have to come out with another EVEN STRONGER wrist-strap after this game and the inevitable damage it will cause.
I mean look at that BOWSER screenshot!!!

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
RE: Official Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Thread
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2007, 01:13:35 AM »
Mario and Sonic run at about the same speed, thanks to those mandatory drug tests.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
RE: Official Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Thread
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2007, 07:12:31 AM »
I think all olympics games I've played so far had the players go through all events in order.