Author Topic: Anime  (Read 121347 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Anime
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2008, 09:49:13 AM »
Don't ask me about upcoming stuff, I only see what's released :P.

Gundam 00 gets a lot better as it gets closer to the end, in the beginning it was just "lol i haz gundam, i win" combat and a lot of whining and unimportant characters, now it's about killing people left and right and all the annoying unimportant characters (**** SAJI) are out of the picture.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2008, 08:53:18 PM »
I just finished Death Note (japanese with subs), and I must say, the first 6 episodes are genius. Everything else kinda got to anime for my liking, but I still enjoyed it; especially the end.

Does anyone else know of any other exceptionally smart animes out there, or ones that burst at the seem with adventure and hilarity?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2008, 04:10:07 AM »
Slayers has plenty of Adventure and LOLs. The second season is the best. The third starts to get a little thin. I am not sure what you mean by smart, but the plot is pretty good and they do break the 4th wall once in a while. Just not something to take too seriously.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2008, 01:29:32 PM »
Don't ask me about upcoming stuff, I only see what's released :P.

Gundam 00 gets a lot better as it gets closer to the end, in the beginning it was just "lol i haz gundam, i win" combat and a lot of whining and unimportant characters, now it's about killing people left and right and all the annoying unimportant characters (**** SAJI) are out of the picture.
sorta, it was handled nicely, I mean, as it progressed the antagonists were getting better and used to fighting the Gundams, so when they got the GN-Xs it got even fast (yeah, CB got the Trans-Am, but that has one huge disadvantage, proved last ep), not to mention that the fights weren't as horribly one sided as SEED Destiny (and SEED, to some extent).
I do agree with the whining, however...

the killing people left and right is completely true, as it seems that EVERYONE dies, if the preview for the final ep is to be trusted...

oh, and Saji will pilot something next season, for sure (maybe a Flag? I'm disappointed that we haven't seen Graham's modified Flag)

Regarding the previous episode, I must say I really liked the Ptolemy bridge sequence... like SEED, except no magic-shot-out-of-nowhere to save them. The thing would have been far more effective had Feldt bit the dust as well (given that Christina and Lichty didn't have much (any?) development as she did)

also, Gundam SEED Destiny mostly sucks (the first 10 or so eps are awesome)
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2008, 03:09:15 PM »
Does anyone else know of any other exceptionally smart animes out there, or ones that burst at the seem with adventure and hilarity?

Not really sure what your exact definition of "smart anime" is, but Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is a great satire that pokes fun at society...Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey) is also a really good (and depressing) story that delves deep into man's morality (or lack thereof)...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2008, 03:10:02 PM »
Deguello happens to love space anime with giant robots.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2008, 07:08:14 PM »
No the hell way.  Space Robots are the most generic thing ever.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2008, 07:09:51 PM »
In that case, slayers is pretty low brow humor and not smart. Breasts, **** shape mountians It's somewhat based off DnD without geeking out. Plenty of visual gags and puns, also RP stereotypes. It suffers in the 3rd season from DBZ syndrome where each foe they encounter needs to be stronger and stronger. They also start taking themselves too seriously and seem to have forgotten about character development. The ending to it also sucked a bit. But It does start out pretty awesome.

The first 2 seasons are definitely golden with season 2 as my favorite.

Watching it in a japanese is almost a must as the english dub is done by people like Tia (Lisa Oritz) from yu-gi-ho and brock. They do have Crispin Freeman in there, but he got miss cast.

Looks like I will wait to see whether I can Gundam SEED destiny on the cheap then. I really liked SEED. It was a torrented copy of it that brought me back to anime.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2008, 06:56:49 AM »
Athrun: The bridge sequence was silly though. Sure, the guy was a cyborg but we're talking about a fucking beamrifle, those things rip a mobile armor in two and the whole bridge was vaporized, just those two floating there with only some relatively minor injuries? WTF? Oh, right, his body is probably made of plot plating just like the Gundams and the Tieren custom where GN SMG shots just get deflected harmlessly... Seriously, that was ridiculous sometimes with shots that would destroy a city being harmlessly absorbed by the armor...

And yes, needs more Graham. Kick: The weakness of any Gundam.

Was funny to hear that the Trans Am makes the mech 3x as fast while turning it red... They really need to give that to Graham for completeness's sake

BTW, am I the only one who felt reminded of Asimov's Foundation series by that whole Schehenberg plan?

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2008, 12:52:21 PM »
KDR: I agree they should've been vaporized alongside the rest of the bridge (and and having them declare to each other just before), but minor injuries? I certanly don't consider having some of your body blown off and being pierced by giant metal shards minor :P

regarding Gundam 00's last ep for the season:
HOLY FREAKEN CRAP
Lockon: dead
Allellujah: probably dead
Setsuna: might be dead
Tieria: could be dead
lot more people dead, or might be dead

All/Hall (together!) vs Soma, and Graham vs Setsuna were awesome (GN OverFlag and Exia thrashed ;_;)

also, GRAHAMCHAR

and OMFG, EARTH FEDERATION (we need a Zeon... maybe Celestial Being?)

unresolved G00 stuff:
- Why the OO Gundam is so important...
- Whether the meisters are dead or not
- What happened to the surviving members of the Ptolemy
- How Wang Liu Mei got the other 3 GN Drives (Sumeragi has Dynares' and surely Nadleeh's)
- Ali Al Sarshes (he still has the Throne after all, also, unified Earth = no good for him)
- Why Nena is with Wang Liu Mei (since she basically betrayed them)
- Is that really Tieria in the epilogue?
- the purpouse of Lockon's twin/clone
- how the eff Graham survived...
- why Alejandro's MA/MS thingy had orange/gold particles (instead of the green or red ones)
- Ribbon's army or whatever (seriously, wtf?)
- Celestial Being's purpose now that the world is unified

- why do I have to wait until october for season 2?? WHY?! ;_;
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2008, 04:31:52 AM »
Being pierced by debries and living that long is really minor after being hit by a weapon that would usually rip the entire ship in two.

Wait, wasn't Tieria in the scene with Louise? I'm pretty sure that was him.

I think the Throne 2 got wrecked though it does seem like Sarshes is alive.

The final boss MA used 7 reactors according to Wikipedia, probably just the high power that changed the color.

BTW, lulz at the Exia losing its head and left arm in the final battle as well as Graham's mech losing the legs (with the cut it reminded me of the Zeong though I might be interpreting too much into that). Also IMO that golden MA was functionally equivalent to the Bigzam, huge forward beam cannon, shield, rows of small beam cannons on the side, six "missiles".

Lance mechs reminded me of Code Geass.

I wonder if the next season will begin with the unveiling of the Zaku and if Graham will ever paint his mech red or hit on 14 year olds...

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2008, 10:09:41 AM »

Not really sure what your exact definition of "smart anime" is, but Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is a great satire that pokes fun at society...Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey) is also a really good (and depressing) story that delves deep into man's morality (or lack thereof)...

Kinos Journey is a wonderful anime.  I always considered it a philosophical show because every episode they present a theory on society.  I wish they would have made a 2nd season.

Offline Dzapa

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2008, 10:38:14 PM »
Death Note is a good suggestion. Very smart anime, really makes you think (especially if you're into that, when I watched it, it was like I was on a wonderful drug). Tsubasa Chronicles is another good one.
"I will stand above you in heaven"

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2008, 12:40:02 AM »
Oh yeah, I was going to do my little rundown summaries of this spring's lineup...So here we go...

Blassreiter - Futuristic show involving a group that has awesome motorcycles (that shoot missiles!) going up against these other robots of unknown origin that are born from dead bodies (what) and can also turn into motorcycles...or something...Sci-fi is pretty much out of my league, but it's decent...And Shizuka Itou has a major role in it, so it gets some bonus points...
~~Recommended for those who like: Sci-fi; Motorcycles; robots that dance around like ninjas

Bus Gamer - A story about three guys who randomly decided to join some "game" so they could get a lot of money for reasons unknown...There's emo guy, thug guy, and goofy guy, though thug guy tries his best to take emo guy's title...So anyway, they are part of some shady dealing called "Bus Game" which pits a group of three against another group of three in a fight (sometimes to the death) over a CD in an abandoned warehouse of some sort...The story basically focuses on these three goons' pasts and why they need money...Exciting...Well it's not bad, it's just not...great either...So far, at least...
~~Recommended for those who like: Fight Club; Watching emo people duke it out with...words...

Code Geass R2 - After the first damn season ended on the biggest cliffhanger ever, the second season of Code Geass was a massive slap in the face by completely destroying all the drama behind it...But whatever, show works the same way as last time, Lelouch still looking to destroy Brittania with his chess set mecha pawns...
~~Recommended for those who like: Mecha anime; Chess symbolism...

Itazura na Kiss - .......I don't know why I'm even watching this...Stupid girl loves emo, jerkface guy, blah, blah...Don't bother unless you are a really die-hard shoujo fan...Which I'm not... =/
~~Recommended for those who like: Shoujo; boring romances

Kanokon - First, I have to say this...This is the BEST show EVER for screencaps...EVER...Why?  Wellllll, let's try Exhibit 1, Exhibit 2, and Exhibit 3...Oh yeah, the story...Well it's basically about a foxgirl spirit who falls in love with the protagonist, and that's pretty much all that's happened so far in two episodes (the whole second episode being spent trying to bed the lad...), but I believe there's something about demon hunters if I can remember from the manga correctly...It's very perverted and VERY funny...Great stuff...
~~Recommended for those who like: Foxgirls; perverted humor

kure-nai - I'm not really sure how to explain this show, but here it goes...A high school student named Shinkurou Kurenai is a dispute mediator...Which basically means he beats the **** out of people to get them to stop doing bad stuff...His latest job is to protect a 7 year-old rich girl named Murasaki Kuhoin, so the series focuses on Kurenai's job as a mediator and how the two get along, particularly since they are from two completely different socioeconomic classes...I wish I could describe it better but everything from the production values to the voice-acting to the nice mix of realism/cuteness in it is incredible...Highly recommended!
~~Recommended for those who like: Equal Realism/Cute mix; Bodyguard stories; Awesome

Nabari no Ou - A ninja story!  Or should I say, a "ninjas in modern times" story!  A young boy named Miharu has a special power and is hunted down by other ninja clans to get this power...His goal is to learn how to use said power, while being protected by others with ninja skills...That's all I got out of the first episode, but the characters are great (Miharu is voiced by Rie Kugimiya! *swoon*), the humor is fun, and the action was catchy...Also highly recommended...
~~Recommended for those who like: Ninjas; Fun characters; Sarcastic protagonists

Special A - Oh no, another shoujo anime series...Wait...This one is good?  It sure is!  The story basically goes as follows: a high school girl has dedicated all her effort into defeating her high school boy rival in something...It's rather cute, so if you enjoy romantic comedies, give it a whirl...
~~Recommended for those who like: Shoujo; Romantic comedies

If I end up watching anything else, I'll add it...(Edit: Ah crap, I forgot to add Wagaya no Oinari-sama and xxxHolic Kei...But I'm too lazy to add in-depth descriptions right now, so uh...Wagaya no Oinari-sama is a "japanese shinto magic" type of show involving a foxgirl(guy...Don't ask...) and xxxHolic Kei just continues off from where the first season ended, and it's obviously good...)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 01:00:33 AM by Bill Aurion »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2008, 02:40:32 AM »
Where'd you see Code Geass R2? There's also Vampire Knight (girl keeping a school full of vampires in line, don't ask me what genre that is) and Kyouran Kazoku Nikki which is about a megalomaniac alien-catgirl-child-of-great-evil-something being made the wife of the protagonist in order to form a family with all the children of the great evil (the others being a so-far-presented-as-normal girl, a homosexual, a predator-like war mech, a jellyfish and a lion...) to stop the one that becomes really evil.

Overall sounds like a weak list. Guess I'll just keep watching Reborn and D.Gray-Man.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2008, 09:27:23 PM »
Damn it's like all the anime I ever heard of was totally ignored. I must not be watching enough I need to get back on the horse or however it goes.

The main shows I did watch were Ronin Warriors, Sailor Moon but not that much, Voltron, Digimon for a while, DBZ off and on, The Slayers one of my more favorite ones, and a hand full of movies like the Project Ako films and Wrath of the Ninja, Demon City, stuff like that. There are a few others but I don't wanna butcher their  names.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2008, 04:00:51 PM »
Monochrome Factor is nice so far. It has a gay Michael Jackson lookalike as the main character's "partner" and plenty of lulz.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2008, 12:41:37 PM »
ugh, seems like I won't be watching anything this season... (the fact that I have to wait until October for Gundam 00 S2 depresses me to no end ;_; ), or maybe just OVAs like TRC Tokyo Revelations and Mai Otome 0~S.ifr~

does anyone know if/when Haruhi S2 will be released?
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2008, 02:51:16 PM »
Does Haruhi really have use for a second season?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2008, 04:07:06 PM »
Soul Eater... that's all I have to say.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2008, 04:41:34 PM »
does anyone know if/when Haruhi S2 will be released?

Kyoto Animation just finished Clannad, so I believe they might be working on it finally...

Does Haruhi really have use for a second season?

I take it you haven't read the novels...Unfortunately, they ripped out a lot of important stuff from the novels that should have been in the first season, so now they have to go back and work it all in (a LOT of awesome time-traveling paradox stuff)...

And seriously, you people need to watch kure-nai... >=|

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2008, 12:14:05 PM »
(a LOT of awesome time-traveling paradox stuff)

To quote George, "I hate time travel!"

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2008, 05:31:15 PM »
Well I do too, but the way the author handles it is amazing, especially when most of it ties into bits of the story you've already read about...

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2008, 05:58:37 PM »
Isn't Haruhi about dancing? That's all I see all over the internet, people dancing it, Megaman dancing it, everything dancing it. I had absolutely no idea it had scifi elements, and I still don't get the dancing part. Explain, please.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2008, 06:05:58 PM »
Uhhh, it's an internet meme? =)

Lots of anime have dancing OPs or EDs, but Haruhi is especially popular so I guess that sparked it further than the rest...