Author Topic: Virtual Console Mondays: February 12  (Read 16238 times)

Offline Entroper

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Virtual Console Mondays: February 12
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 08:44:57 AM »
I bought Kid Icarus right away (heh, I typed KI, then realized that's more commonly used to refer to Killer Instinct), and loved it when it was out the first time.  I'd still classify it as "recommended for fans" because it's kicking my ass.  I would think most gamers would have difficulty completing the first level.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 08:47:23 AM »
I think the big appeal of Kid Icarus is people want a sequel. Not because the game was fantastic, but because the IP has so much potential.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Virtual Console Mondays: February 12
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 08:49:48 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
I think the big appeal of Kid Icarus is people want a sequel. Not because the game was fantastic, but because the IP has so much potential.

I agree, I finally got to the chance to sit down and play it for a good length of time. The concept does have potential, but it is extremely flawed as well, and I don't see much appeal beyond nostalgia for "fans" of the game, I can't imagine having my sister play it, I have no doubt she would hate it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 08:57:59 AM »
"Do you have any facts to back up your claim that only 'serious' gamers will use VC? My younger sister enjoys playing some of the games, and she is definately NOT a gamer."

Do you honestly think any one who isn't really interested in games would download Kid Icarus?  Would your younger sister play those older games if you didn't introduce them to her?

I'm just going by personal experience.  Most people I meet that don't really identify themselves as "gamers" play current games and not much else.  Those people wouldn't download a VC game they had never heard of.  Hell even when I was a kid and all my friends and acquaintances played videogames most of them wouldn't touch a game that they considered "old".  I think anyone who will actually pay money to download Kid Icarus knows that they're getting into a hard game as is typical of the NES era.  I just can't see Bob the 15 year old Madden-nut downloading many VC games that came out before he was born.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 09:03:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"Do you have any facts to back up your claim that only 'serious' gamers will use VC? My younger sister enjoys playing some of the games, and she is definately NOT a gamer."

Do you honestly think any one who isn't really interested in games would download Kid Icarus?  Would your younger sister play those older games if you didn't introduce them to her?

I'm just going by personal experience.  Most people I meet that don't really identify themselves as "gamers" play current games and not much else.  Those people wouldn't download a VC game they had never heard of.  Hell even when I was a kid and all my friends and acquaintances played videogames most of them wouldn't touch a game that they considered "old".  I think anyone who will actually pay money to download Kid Icarus knows that they're getting into a hard game as is typical of the NES era.  I just can't see Bob the 15 year old Madden-nut downloading many VC games that came out before he was born.

Actually she probably would. My main point is that you cannot state that the VC is only being utilized by serious gamers, in fact looking at the number of VC games downloaded (Probably over 2 million by now) shows there is a big market for them, and by the looks of things there are alot of "non-gamers" who own a Wii. People are always curious about what came before, heck I never got to play Atari much but I still have played the games. A truly good game should stand the test of time.

Speaking of Kid ICarus, that was my argument all along, that game is a game for fans of it, because frankly it is not casual friendly and has more "potential" than the way it was executed, similar to Metroid IMO. A game like SMB3, or even SMB1 are easy to get into and may spark the interest of younger gamers who haven't tried them.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 09:56:45 AM »

Speaking of Kid ICarus, that was my argument all along, that game is a game for fans of it, because frankly it is not casual friendly and has more "potential" than the way it was executed, similar to Metroid IMO.

Speak for yourself.  I personally love both Metroid and Kid Icarus and recommend them to everyone.  Virtual death never killed anyone so suck it up!
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 10:23:03 AM »
Sometimes I fill old.  Anyway back to the Blasphemy:

Kratos Vs. Pit:  Battle for Olympia.  (For Wii and PS3)

Also much like "Godzilla Vs. King Kong"  Kratos wins on the PS3 and Pit wins on the Wii  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 01:39:51 PM »
The VC will be big for casual gamers.  

There's a good amount of easy to get into games like hockey or baseball or Donkey Kong etc.  Games to goof around on.   That's why I like the VC.  Stuff like Super Mario World and Kirby are fun and easy to get into and offer a bit of a challenge and they're convenient.

Plus you forget best of all - price.  Yeah some games are overpriced at $5, but it's still only $5.   I've bought 5 VC games so far and still haven't spent as much as a new Wii game costs.  So there's alot of gaming value there.  The great thing is many of these games are new to me except a few NES ones.

btw I got Kirby.  I didn't realize the DS version was so much like it.  Kirby is a fun one.  

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 02:13:25 PM »
Canvas Curse is amazing; it's traditional Kirby yet it uses the touchscreen perfectly.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2007, 04:41:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Also much like "Godzilla Vs. King Kong"  Kratos wins on the PS3 and Pit wins on the Wii

King Kong wins in both the US and Japanese versions of that film.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2007, 08:00:40 PM »
If you haven't played the game, Kirby's Adventure on the NES is superior because some of the secrets are harder to find.  This is in part because of the graphical limitations of the NES, but the designers also made some secrets intentionally tricky to find.  The GBA makes the game's secrets really obvious, a design decision I consider to be a mistake.  If you've played Nightmare in Dreamland, I'm not sure what the bonus is of getting the NES version, since it has less slowdown and prettier graphics.  Well, I suppose the NES had better mini-games.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2007, 02:14:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: Ceric

King Kong wins in both the US and Japanese versions of that film.

Really?!  I always heard that in the Japanese Version Godzilla was powered up by a lightning strike at the end and was able to subdue King Kong.  I never been able to find a copy to rent and watch.  Thanks for the clarification.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Neodymium

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 04:10:16 AM »
First off, I want to say that I'm a retrogamer that didn't play games in the 80's.. in fact, I wasn't conscious in the 80's, nor was I allowed to own a game system until 1998. So, I don't think it's fair to equate "retrogamer" with "gamer who played retrogames when they were in stores". That's not fair, because I'm an old school elitist who owns all the old games and hardware, but I've owned my NES for a shorter period of time than I have my Gamecube.

Next off, here why I don't think Kid Icarus should be recommended for everyone: the flawed save system. Like the restof us, I have complained long and hard about the fact that the VC games contain no new features. I almost understand that Nintendo wants to cheap us out on no borders for 16:9 mode and no online multiplayer or other enhancements, but the fact is that to continue in Kid Icarus you need to enter a password. An archaic password save system that Nintendo didn't even have the courtesy to save the password for you like the Metroid emulated in Prime. Ridiculous.. I'm not going to write down a big, long, clunky password every time I want to play the game again.
The Mighty Pirate formerely known as PS2stinks..

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2007, 04:49:33 AM »
The games have a virtual save state feature, I'm not seeing the issue here.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2007, 05:24:43 AM »

Originally posted by: darknight06
The games have a virtual save state feature, I'm not seeing the issue here.

Exactly...I haven't had to enter a single password and I own two password games.

When you get to the game over screen or whatever, just hit Home and go to the Wii menu. When you next load the game you return to where you were.