Author Topic: Component cables available online at launch, NOT IN STORES till mid. dec, AVAILABLE BY PHONE ORDER NOW!  (Read 7295 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
AND... look at it this way...

If retailers really, really wanted the cables... and Nintendo was the ones saying "No, screw you, we're just going to sell them ourselves for awhile and keep the profit to ourselves."...  do you really think retailers like Wal*Mart would put up with something like that for long?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
So... blame retail?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Jin-X

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Only 91% of households, really? HDTV penetration is much larger than that and more importantly, something that a lot of people don't seem to understand, there are SDTVs (those are the 480i ones) that have component connections (like mine for example and my best friends and hell even my grandmothers RCA tv with the old style curved glass that she bought last year has them too). This is what you're missing, component isn't some super-niche thing as you and others tend to believe. Combine that with all the tvs with at least S-Video connections and you get a real large piece of the pie chart that has a connection or connections that are vastly superior to composite, and yet as of this moment Nintendo doesn't seem to be offering these cables in an easily accesible manner.

Instead they seem content in having us (hardcore gamers, the ones more likely to want the best possible cable) jump through hoops to get them at launch instead of the way it should be, at the store for me to pick up with the Wii. And sorry but that whole "retailers don't want the component cables" sounds like some damage control spin cooked up by the PR staff. There are many more Wiis than PS3s available and yet all the reserves got filled out very fast, so the demand is clearly there at least throughout this holiday season, no reason to hold back some accesories that they will sell by the end of the year.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
The TV I have in my dorm room now does NOT have component. But it does have s-video...

And I think I'm using this tv until it busts. "Brave Little Toaster" anyone?

And like I said, I am SO buying an RF adapter for my Wii. That way I'm compatible with older tvs I'm likely to encounter on trips, in family dens, in back rooms, etc.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit

Originally posted by: Kairon
The TV I have in my dorm room now does NOT have component. But it does have s-video...

And I think I'm using this tv until it busts. "Brave Little Toaster" anyone?

And like I said, I am SO buying an RF adapter for my Wii. That way I'm compatible with older tvs I'm likely to encounter on trips, in family dens, in back rooms, etc.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy an RF converter at Walmart? That way you can use the cables from Nintendo, and ANYTHING that has a three pronged RCA output can be plugged into an older TV. Alot of them accept S-Video as well, my old one does at least.

Check out PixlBit!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Jin-X
Only 91% of households, really? HDTV penetration is much larger than that and more importantly, something that a lot of people don't seem to understand, there are SDTVs (those are the 480i ones) that have component connections (like mine for example and my best friends and hell even my grandmothers RCA tv with the old style curved glass that she bought last year has them too). This is what you're missing, component isn't some super-niche thing as you and others tend to believe. Combine that with all the tvs with at least S-Video connections and you get a real large piece of the pie chart that has a connection or connections that are vastly superior to composite, and yet as of this moment Nintendo doesn't seem to be offering these cables in an easily accesible manner.

Instead they seem content in having us (hardcore gamers, the ones more likely to want the best possible cable) jump through hoops to get them at launch instead of the way it should be, at the store for me to pick up with the Wii. And sorry but that whole "retailers don't want the component cables" sounds like some damage control spin cooked up by the PR staff. There are many more Wiis than PS3s available and yet all the reserves got filled out very fast, so the demand is clearly there at least throughout this holiday season, no reason to hold back some accesories that they will sell by the end of the year.

Last stat I heard was that only 9% of households had television sets that could accept an input that's higher quality than composite (S-Video, Component, HDMI and DVI).  I'm courious as to what percent of households can only accept coax/rf - the TV we have in our living room is only about 3 years old and it's coax-only...

And the "Retailers don't want it" may sound like PR spin from Nintendo... and if that's the case, it's proof that Nintendo should hire me... But it's not.  It's just a wild stab in the dark as to why the cables aren't at retailers.  Who knows, I could be wrong and retailers across the globe could want these cables more than they want the systems themselves... but I doubt it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Locking, please use the latest "componetn cable available online" thread for this discussion...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram