Author Topic: Joystiq's...uuuuhhhh...Wii impressions?  (Read 9434 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Joystiq's...uuuuhhhh...Wii impressions?
« on: November 10, 2006, 11:54:05 AM »
The editor then wrote up impressions of the console, and showed it to his roommate in order to try out Nintendo's casual gamer approach.

The reactions are priceless...

Here's the link:
Joystiq's "in depth" impressions NSFW though

If what the guy said about the Wii is true (assuming the editor didn't "enhance" the impressions for the shock value) all I have to say is...I am EXTREMELY grateful to in the group of friends I am today. If the guys impressions on the Wii are true, then we can tell the type of person he is.

Although, I have the feeling the editor posted this to get some kind reaction. After all, if I had gotten a Wii to review and my friend/roommate made those type of comments I wouldn't even post it on the site because:
1. I wouldn't want to show off a friend like that
2. His or her reactions give no real insight in the console  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Joystiq's...uuuuhhhh...Wii impressions?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 11:55:59 AM »
Ahahaha, "Table Tennis 360 is better"...Ahahahaha...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Joystiq's...uuuuhhhh...Wii impressions?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 11:57:45 AM »
I'm thinking he may change his tune ...but yeah, he does sound like the majority of the gaming public, which kind of worries me.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 12:15:25 PM »
This is a stunt right? He's making it up to increase hits, right?

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 12:17:45 PM »
I would hope so...but this guy sounds like a complete toolbox...I could easily see myself slapping him in the head.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 12:28:56 PM »
"The box is all f@ggy."
"It feels like I'm holding my dick in my hand."

That's when you know he isn't aware that his friend is going to post the impressions up on the internet.

Considering the guy is a real tennis player I am not surprised that he is not interested in WiiSports.  He would probably prefer something like Virtua Tennis.

I wonder if the Wii's powers are immune to skeptics.  The fact that motion control doesn't do exactly what you want makes it easy to rip into the thing.  I think people with the "oooo, this looks neat" attitude are going to appreciate it more.  I'm skeptical (like I haven't expressed that a hundred times) and so far the best I'm getting out of Wii impressions is that the control is responsive for ExciteTruck.  It works and that's all I really care about.  I've been worried about things controlling like crap.  I haven't been excited about HOW the remote is used, just that it isn't used poorly.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 12:36:39 PM »
dude, the guys a yuppie in a business suit.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 02:12:53 PM »
I'm sorry but I don't see how anyone can take this guy seriously (if it is even true), he seems about as mature as 10 year old by going by his vocabulary.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 02:21:13 PM »
The fact that he was so negative about the Wii before even turning it on makes most of his opinions meaningless to me. It is clear that he went into this with a bias against Nintendo. Honestly, who can hate Duck Hunt? Perhaps it was a gimmick, but most people I know remember it fondly (even those who do not like Nintendo's recent consoles). On the other hand, his girlfriend, though probably not a hardcore gamer, was able to appreciate the system. I would like to hear more opinions from people who currently do not play Nintendo games, but would at least have an open mind about the Wii.
Thanks for listening.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 02:37:54 PM »
"It feels like I'm holding my dick in my hand."

lol, then it should feel totally natural, m i rite?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 02:37:56 PM »
Hahahaha.
What a delightful moron.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 03:02:12 PM »
Why do people think it's so awesomely cool of them to sound like utter c*nts?  Kotaku pulls the same sh*t.

It's not amusing.  It's just stupid.  This is the journalistic dignitary equivalent to second grade "Johnny smells" bs.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 05:44:59 PM »

It feels like I'm holding my dick in my hand.
If it feels like that, it must feel pretty good, in which case, I wouldn't complain!  

I agree with everyone...WTF is wrong with this guy?  And I had hoped that everyone even REMOTELY interested in video games must have some idea what the Wii is.  It seems quite unfair that this guy doesn't know anything about it and got to play it before millions of people who actually want to do.

If there's anything worse than a cynical person, it's a cynical person who can't shut up.  He was dissing Nintendo from the start before he even got to any of the games.  I would'nt've bothered getting his opinion, roommate or not, if he's already so extremely biased that he can't shut up about how much he already hates it before trying it.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »

The fact that he was so negative about the Wii before even turning it on makes most of his opinions meaningless to me.

Exactly.

Considering the guy is a real tennis player I am not surprised that he is not interested in WiiSports. He would probably prefer something like Virtua Tennis.

Unless Virtua Tennis is on Wii then I don't see why a tennis player would rather use a joystick with only about 6 options when hitting the ball.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 05:56:02 PM »
"Considering the guy is a real tennis player I am not surprised that he is not interested in WiiSports. He would probably prefer something like Virtua Tennis."

What if I told you that I'm a "real tennis player" myself, and also told you that I prefer arcadey tennis games over garbage like Virtua Tennis?

(And seriously, a REAL tennis player would want to actually "hit" the ball, not press a button...)

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 06:02:01 PM »
I found Mario Tennis to have more depth of play than Virtua Tennis  

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 06:19:27 PM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung

It feels like I'm holding my dick in my hand.
If it feels like that, it must feel pretty good, in which case, I wouldn't complain!  

Link's pretty enough.

Don't need to be stirring up THOSE kinds of emotions while playing TP...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 07:41:41 PM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy

It is on joystiq!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 09:08:53 PM »

Originally posted by: Crimm

Originally posted by: ShyGuy

It is on joystiq!

So, if enough people complain, they will fire the douche-bag writer and blame him for everything, even though they knew all about it ahead of time? Then the writer goes over to work for Destructoid and continues to be an offensive, loudmouth, attention seeker?  

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 06:45:11 AM »
"And seriously, a REAL tennis player would want to actually "hit" the ball, not press a button..."

And certainly not flick their wrist in a game that tries to mimic playing tennis but doesn't come close, using a controller that tries to mimic a racket but doesn't come close...

Sorry, but Wii Tennis isn't going to win any points with the REAL tennis players.

And honestly, this should be taken seriously. Yeah, the guy definitely sounds like a tool, but he also sounds pretty representative of the majority of the gaming public, and also non-gamers. Of all my friends who went with me to the Fusion Tour stop at my school (about 7 of us), only one besides me left really wanting a Wii, and he wanted it before then. Everyone else were either like this guy, or like his girlfriend--entertained by the Wii, but not enough to form any opinion other than "meh" and not swayed into buying it.  There were some comments that raised concern:

"I'm very skeptical of how it will play. No matter what motion you do it looks like one motion. I'm very doubtful it'll pick up the nuances. For example, take tennis [he's a strong tennis player], I'm very doubtful this thing will pick up the flick of a wrist, the spin, the power, the touch of a racket. I think it'll just start making up crap and filling in the blanks, like those arcade boxing games where no matter what you do it's the same punch over and over. It won't come close to the motion that you actually have to do."

Simply because, as someone who's excited for the Wii, I have the same worries. The wiimote still has loads of potential, but a lot of the Wii's early games seem to be riding off of "Oh look! I move my hand and the screen does something!" There isn't a single game I've read about or played that has demonstrated the superiority and potential of the wiimote--Sure there are games where the wiimote performs well enough that you won't miss the standard controller, but nothing has yet come up that has made people go "Crap! Why didn't they think of this sooner!?"

I'm not saying the wiimote doesn't have that potential, because I believe it does.  But they need to hurry up and show it, or they'll find a lot of their target audience reacting like this guy here.

"It's ok, it's a little childish. The characters are childish looking." When pressed to expand on these comments, she says, "There's this cloud above their heads when they lose in tennis. But in Ping Pong, the players are so realistic. They like cry [when they miss] and go 'yeah!' when they score a point. You get into a lot more into it because they're real. In this one they've got like plastic smiles permanently. This is like little Lego people. They could have made the graphics just like other graphics -- i don't know why they had to make it look like Lego people."

This is bad, because it's coming from the exact type of person they're aiming to attract with their graphical style...  

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2006, 07:26:01 AM »

And honestly, this should be taken seriously. Yeah, the guy definitely sounds like a tool, but he also sounds pretty representative of the majority of the gaming public, and also non-gamers.
You've never even heard of anecdotal arguments, have you?

One of the most amusing things about Wii Sports is that everyone starts off with, "Oh, I'll just flick my wrist, I'm much too sophisticated to use this like a racket" and ends up tossing imaginary balls and swinging like a madman.

There isn't a single game I've read about or played that has demonstrated the superiority and potential of the wiimote--Sure there are games where the wiimote performs well enough that you won't miss the standard controller, but nothing has yet come up that has made people go "Crap! Why didn't they think of this sooner!?"
I take it you haven't read a single Zelda preview in the last month.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2006, 07:30:33 AM »

And certainly not flick their wrist in a game that tries to mimic playing tennis but doesn't come close, using a controller that tries to mimic a racket but doesn't come close...

Sorry, but Wii Tennis isn't going to win any points with the REAL tennis players.

Did you just not read what I said?  I...AM...A...REAL...TENNIS...PLAYER...And I'm absolutely dying to play Wii Tennis...So automatically your little generalization is just dead off the mark...

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2006, 07:33:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Pittbboi
"And seriously, a REAL tennis player would want to actually "hit" the ball, not press a button..."

And honestly, this should be taken seriously. Yeah, the guy definitely sounds like a tool, but he also sounds pretty representative of the majority of the gaming public, and also non-gamers. Of all my friends who went with me to the Fusion Tour stop at my school (about 7 of us), only one besides me left really wanting a Wii, and he wanted it before then. Everyone else were either like this guy, or like his girlfriend--entertained by the Wii, but not enough to form any opinion other than "meh" and not swayed into buying it.  There were some comments that raised concern:

"I'm very skeptical of how it will play. No matter what motion you do it looks like one motion. I'm very doubtful it'll pick up the nuances. For example, take tennis [he's a strong tennis player], I'm very doubtful this thing will pick up the flick of a wrist, the spin, the power, the touch of a racket. I think it'll just start making up crap and filling in the blanks, like those arcade boxing games where no matter what you do it's the same punch over and over. It won't come close to the motion that you actually have to do."

Simply because, as someone who's excited for the Wii, I have the same worries. The wiimote still has loads of potential, but a lot of the Wii's early games seem to be riding off of "Oh look! I move my hand and the screen does something!" There isn't a single game I've read about or played that has demonstrated the superiority and potential of the wiimote--Sure there are games where the wiimote performs well enough that you won't miss the standard controller, but nothing has yet come up that has made people go "Crap! Why didn't they think of this sooner!?"

I'm not saying the wiimote doesn't have that potential, because I believe it does.  But they need to hurry up and show it, or they'll find a lot of their target audience reacting like this guy here.

"It's ok, it's a little childish. The characters are childish looking." When pressed to expand on these comments, she says, "There's this cloud above their heads when they lose in tennis. But in Ping Pong, the players are so realistic. They like cry [when they miss] and go 'yeah!' when they score a point. You get into a lot more into it because they're real. In this one they've got like plastic smiles permanently. This is like little Lego people. They could have made the graphics just like other graphics -- i don't know why they had to make it look like Lego people."

This is bad, because it's coming from the exact type of person they're aiming to attract with their graphical style...

1. What you said about real tennis players not enjoying Wii Tennis because they rather hit the ball than pressing a button, guess what? That same idea can be applied to EVERY SINGLE SPORTS SIM OUT THERE. What do you in a basketball game? You hit buttons in order to pass and shoot the ball? Baseball? Hit buttons to hit the ball and throw the ball. Golf? Same thing. In fact, you have to hit buttons in order to determine the strength of your swing.

OF COURSE people will prefer real sports over the sim sports, but its silly to apply this solely on Wii sports when even the detailed and hardcore sim sports games suffer from the same problem.

And Pittboi, your concerns are EXACTLY the same as those when the DS was released. Everybody was worried if the touch screen method would catch on as a gaming innovation and gamers would accept it. Worse, the majority of the launch games were quick, simple mini game based games that use the touch screen in small doses. And look where the DS is NOW. The DS went from a side project to a major pillar at Nintendo. All sorts of games have been released, everything from the innovative, non traditional games to the hardcore games everyone loves.

And I'm sorry, while this guy does some have some valid concerns, it is VERY unfair of you to say he "represents" the majority of both the gaming and non gaming communities. Seriously, when he compares the controller to a DICK, you know something is seriously wrong with this guy. I've met all sorts of gamers, everything from this guy to the really smart, creative and witty ones. To categorize these gamers in the same category as this guy is almost an insult...

Plus, most of his concerns are preference issues, not any real game breaking issues. I'm sure that for every gamer that isn't pleased with the look of Wii sports there are some that either love it or don't mind it at ALL. So no, you shouldn't use this guys preferences as a real conflict of the Wii.

In fact, I just noticed a pattern here...

1. Console is announced, everyone's excited
2. All games and details of the console are revealed, everyone's excited
3. The console and games are almost released, concerns and issues arise

Again, the DS went through the same period back when it was released, and now look where it is. Just give it time and you can say whatever you want about the launch games not being "convincing" enough, but the reality is that the games offer far more in terms of what the Wii can do than the DS ever did when it first launch. Period.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2006, 07:34:03 AM »
I don't believe the bullsh*t that "this is representative of casual gamers."

The other night I was at Target, and two college guys walk by the little Wii endcap, and one of them seriously lifts his hand, points as it, and says loudly "This is all that I want for Christmas."

His friend proceeded to agree.

I really think people are over the name, and I think playing is believing.  I think all the naysayers now will either shut up or prove they are mindless fanboys after the 19th.  That doesn't mean I don't think there will be honest detractors, but I think the level of "it's not proven bla bla bla" nonsense we've heard is going to settle, and we're going to see a huge shift in the mainstream.

I'm getting progressively more worried I won't get one at launch, and I live in Redneck Goattown USA.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline OverHeat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2006, 07:45:13 AM »

"It looks all f@ggy....This just feels stupid. It feels like I'm holding my d*ck in my hand. I just feel stupid holding this thing."

Sounds like someone should stop lieing to his girlfriend and seek out more information on sex change operations. Any other males here feel "stupid" when they hold their members? Kinda makes me feel like, you know.. a MAN?!!
Do, or do not. There is no try.